WONDER! lucas friar

By niallhoranslovebot

―❝Right before I close my eyes the only thing that's on my mind, been dreamin' that you feel it too. I wonder... More

INTRODUCTION!
CHAPTER ONE, best friends reunited
CHAPTER THREE, no place like home
CHAPTER FOUR, ski lodge
CHAPTER FIVE, welcome to new york
CHAPTER SIX, first day at Abigail Adams high
CHAPTER SEVEN, exploring nyc
CHAPTER EIGHT, girl meets real world (part one)
CHAPTER NINE, girl meets the real world (part two)
CHAPTER TEN, insecurities and reassurance
CHAPTER ELEVEN, girl meets bear
CHAPTER THIRTEEN, girl meets the great lady of new york

CHAPTER TWO, master of tombstone

569 32 22
By niallhoranslovebot

"Y'all be sure to stop by our air conditioned refreshment tent." An announcer spoke through the speakers while Lucas and Mirabel made their way back over to where the others were at. They catch up to Riley and Maya, who had started to walk into the air conditioned refreshment tent. "Oh, hi, hey. Uh, yeah, I just saw Tombstone the Bull. And, uh, why do you hate me?" Lucas questioned, staring at the two girls with disbelief.

"Come on, a bull is just a man cow." Riley shook her head.

Maya laughs, pointing at Lucas while amusement shown in her eyes. "You're scared of a man cow. A-moo." Mirabel chuckled lightly, but it didn't reach her eyes. She was just as worried as Lucas was.

"You two have never actually seen a bull, have you?" Lucas inquired.

"No, what we'd like to see are some cold drinks inside an air conditioned refreshment tent." Riley replies with a smile.

"Oh, lookee here!" Maya pretended to sound shock as she pointed at the tent near them while Riley faked a gasp. The two best friends then walked into the tent.

Lucas shrugs. "I just think you may react differently when you actually see a man cow." He mumbled, following the two girls. Mirabel just sighs, shaking her head with a slight smile as she followed them. The four of them were standing in the refreshment tent that had a few people here and there. Some were sat at the tables while others stood off to the side and talked. There were tv's in the tent as well so if people wanted to stay in the air conditioned refreshment tent then people would still be able to watch the rodeo.

"Oh, boy. It's hotter out there than my mamma's barbecue sauce." An announcer voiced through speakers.

"Hey, Zay." Riley greets the dark-skinned boy, who was watching the contestant who was riding the bull now. "What are you watching?"

"Not anything you want to see." Zay shakes his head, giving Mirabel a small playful glare when she reached over to steal some peanuts from the bag he had in his hand. "Hey, get your own, woman."

"Why would I get my own when you have some?" Mirabel grinned, tossing a few peanuts in her mouth. Zay just shook his head and rolled his eyes playfully.

"Hey there, Rodeo Fans. Now, for your viewing pleasure, some of the last year's greatest hits. These, here, are what we call 'Love Taps'." The announcer explains. On TV was clips of other contestants riding bulls and getting thrown off them, each one of them was worse than the last.

Maya turns to Lucas. "I don't want you going anywhere near that bull."

Lucas scoffs. "Yeah, that makes two of us."

"I want you to take off that stupid outfit and I want to get out of here." Maya admitted. Mirabel raised her eyebrows in surprise, not expecting her to say that. She had a feeling it was because she was worried about Lucas. After all, she was too, but she knew there was nothing they could do about it. Lucas had to do this, he couldn't back out now.

"Maya." Lucas started, his eyes widening slightly with surprise.

"I saw the bull." Maya continues. "I don't think the bull knows this is supposed to be fun."

"Okay, Maya, let's not shake Lucas' confidence." Riley tells her before glancing at Lucas hopefully. "You can do this, right? You can just ride a bull for four seconds and win the Master of Tombstone award?"

"Lucas is gonna need a tombstone." Maya cut in, concern and worry clear in her eyes. "There isn't gonna be anymore Lucas. Mirabel, you're actually going to let him do this?" She asked with surprise, glancing at the Mexican girl. Maya had thought Mirabel would be able to stop Lucas from doing this since they were childhood best friends, but apparently she was wrong.

Mirabel sighs, her expression softening as she looks at Maya. "I'm not going to lie, Maya. I am worried about him, but this is something Lucas has to do. I don't want him to get hurt either. But Maya, Lucas is strong and brave and smart, I know he can do this. We have no control over what's going to happen, all we can do now is support him and pray and hope everything will be okay." She explained.

"Yeah, exactly." Riley agrees with a reassuring smile. "He's going to do great, Maya." She glances at Zay. "Zay, tell him 'he's going to do great'."

"You''ll do great." Zay repeated, looking at Lucas with a smile.

"Truth." Maya demanded.

"You're gonna die." Zay nodded. Mirabel rolled her eyes at him and shook her head.

Riley takes a step forward, smiling softly at Lucas. "I believe in you. I believe that you can do anything you want to."

"Riley, why do you want him to do this?" Maya inquired with disbelief.

"Because this is better than riding Judy the Sheep. And I don't want him to be a disgrace to his community anymore." Riley answered.

Lucas frowns. "Well, I don't actually think that I'm a disgrace to the community."

Mirabel grimaces at that. She knew there were a lot of people in their community who believed that. Ever since he was little and had fell off Judy the Sheep quickly, he had been a disgrace and disappointed a lot of people. "Actually, you kinda are." She winced, giving him a sympathetic smile.

"What, really?" Lucas' eyes widened, glancing at her with surprise.

"Yeah," Riley nods and cringes. "I've been talking to people. They have long memories around here."

A waitress nearby pointed at Lucas with a glare and made a sheep noise before walking away. "See?" Lucas sighs. "I have to do this."

"Okay," Riley shrugs and smiles. "Then go out there. Be the hero I know you are." Mirabel smiled softly at hearing that. That was such a sweet and supportive thing for her to say. Riley had a lot of faith in Lucas and honestly it was cute. Mirabel glances at Lucas, seeing his smile as he looks at Riley. For some reason, she felt a pang of jealousy hit her and she had no idea why. Why would she feel jealous?

"Thank you, Riley." Lucas said with relief.

Farkle then walks into the tent, followed by Pappy Joe and Mirabel's parents. Mirabel's parents had met Lucas' friends from New York when they had all arrived at the rodeo and thought they were all nice. They were also happy to see Zay again. "The Mutton Busters are getting ready to ride, then it's you, Lucas." Farkle explained.

"Make us proud, boy." Pappy Joe smiled.

"Friar." A voice spoke up, gaining the group's attention. A man walked over to the group and the Friar's and the Florres' immediately knew who he was.

"McCullough." Pappy Joe replied. The McCullough's and the Friar's had been feuding for some time now, Mirabel never really understood why they were fueding. She just tried her best not to get in the middle of it.

"I'm talking to young Friar." Mr. McCullough explains, putting his hand on Lucas' back. "So, you fixin' to ride again, huh?"

"That's right." Lucas nodded.

"Well...Don't think about last time." Mr. McCullough chuckles. "You don't want that in your head. Let's watch my grandson, Timmy, master Judy the Sheep. Oh, you were about two seconds on Judy the Sheep, as I recall. But don't let that be in your head." Mirabel rolled her eyes and resisted the urge to smack him. She didn't like him, he had a cocky and arrogant attitude.

She and her parents never really liked the McCulloughs either. They were rude, arrogant, and they acted like they were the best in the town. They always talked down to her and her family. They thought her and her parents were beneath them. Her and her family always did their best to avoid them as much as possible.

"Oh, the Florres family! Didn't even see you there." Mr. McCullough greeted with fake cheer, his voice dripping with sarcasm and distaste. "How are y'all doin'?"

"We were good, until you showed up." Mirabel muttered, earning a nudge from her dad and a small chuckle from Lucas. Her parents had to admit they founded her comment amusing too, but they were trying to act polite and friendly.

"We're doing well." Her mom, Beatrix, answered with a forced smile.

"Glad to hear that." Mr. McCullough said with a fake smile.

"How come you aren't out there with your grandson?" Pappy Joe questioned.

"Well, then I wouldn't have the pleasure of watching him right in front of your face." Mr. McCullough smirked.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, its Mutton Bustin' time!" The announcer reveales. "And here they come, the Mutton Busters!" The first one didn't do too good, but then the next one was Timmy. "And now, everybody's favorite, Judy the Sheep, who will be ridden this year by Timmy McCullough."

"That's my grandson!" Mr. McCullough said smugly.

"And the gate opens, and Timmy McCullough holding on!" The announcer said. The gate opens and Judy runs out with Timmy holding on. Not even one second and Timmy ended up falling off. "No, he's not."

Mirabel's eyes widen with surprise, not expecting that. She definitely didn't expect Pappy Joe to start laughing either. "Ha ha! That's his grandson!"

"Pappy Joe!" Riley scolded.

"Sorry, Riley. Stereotypical cultural reductions all I have left." Pappy Joe apologized. Mr. McCullough put his hat back on he had taken off earlier and walked away.

"And now for the event you've all been waiting for, bull ridin'! And this year, will we finally have a Master of Tombstone? The record on Tombstone is three point seven seconds. Will someone finally beat it."

Mirabel could easily tell that Lucas is nervous. She didn't blame him, she was nervous too. She sends him a reassuring smile, putting a hand on his arm. "You're going to do great, Lucas." She smiled softly.

"Thanks, Bel." Lucas returned the smile and puts his hand over hers, giving it a small squeeze.

"But first, riding Buttercup is Eddie Callaway!" Everyone glanced back at the tv as Eddie Callaway is shown riding on Buttercup. He made it past the gate a bit before he was bucked off and it didn't look pretty. Mirabel grimaced. Eddie had been the one to teach everything Lucas knew. If he could barely ride Buttercup, what chance did Lucas have on Tombstone?

"Oh! Eddie, that had to hurt." The announcer comments. "Looks like Eddie's gonna have himself a little lay down for a moment."

"Are you out of your mind?" Maya exclaimed, turning to face Lucas.

"Lucas, you're serious, right? You can seriously do this." Riley said nervously and hopefully.

"Yeah, I learned from the best, actually." Lucas admitted.

"Who's the best?" Maya asked.

"Eddie Callaway." Lucas mumbled and the two girls stared at him with disbelief.

"Coming up, our main event. Lucas Friar tangles with Tombstone." The announcer voiced.

Cheering filled the tent as Lucas grabs his helmet off the table. Mirabel gave Lucas'hand and was still on hers a gentle squeeze. The fact his hand hadn't moved from hers made her heart flutter for some reason. She looks up at him, her eyes softening and she gave him a small reassuring smile. "Good luck, Lucas. You'll do great."

"Thanks, Bel." Lucas returned the smile, his stomach fluttering and his heart beating a bit faster. He gives her hand a small squeeze. "I'll try my best."

"That's all I ask." Mirabel smiled, letting her hand slip out of his. She had to admit she immediately missed the feeling of her hand in his, it was so warm and comforting. It sent tingles throughout her body and made her heart beat a bit faster. What was going on? Why did she miss his touch already?

Pappy Joe guided Lucas over to him as they got to the entrance of the tent. "Lucas, look at me." Maya speaks up, causing Lucas to stop and glance back at her. "If you do this...I will never speak to you again." Mirabel's eyes widen with surprise at the words that came out of Maya's mouth.

"Maya..." Riley said with a shocked tone.

"Riley, why are you for this?" Maya asked, turning to look at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"Because I want him to succeed. I want him to make his grandfather proud." Riley replied.

Maya glances at Pappy Joe with disbelief. "You're not proud of him if he doesn't do this?"

"I think you have a fine grasp of the general situation, yeah. In my opinion, it's about facing life which runs harder." Pappy Joe starts. Mirabel mouths the next words he says along with Lucas, the two having heard him say this to them many times before. "You gotta face your fears or they ride you."

Maya shakes her head, looking disappointed. "I'll never speak to you again." She decided and she walked out the tent, leaving the others shocked.

"Maya, what-" Lucas started, his eyes wide as she walked past him. He didn't think Maya would be so against this, he didn't understand why she was so upset.

Everyone began to walk out of the tent, heading over to the ring. Mirabel noticed Lucas and Riley stayed back, most likely talking about Maya. Maya was walking away from everything, heading towards a small hill. Mirabel looked back, making sure her parents were still by Pappy Joe. When she saw they were, she quickly caught up to Maya. She didn't know Maya well, but she had a feeling the blonde girl would want company.

"Maya." Mirabel spoke up. Maya didn't look back at her, instead she kept walking. Mirabel let out a quiet sigh and quickly jogged in front of her, stopping her from walking. Maya glared at her, looking annoyed. "Look, I'm not going to force you to talk, but I wanted to be there for you."

"Why?" Maya asked, crossing her arms. "You don't know who I am."

"I don't know you, but I want to." Mirabel said honestly. "Lucas is my childhood best friend and he cares about you and Riley a lot. So I know you two must be good people." She admitted.

Maya's gaze softened slightly, her glare disappearing. She was quiet for a moment, unsure what to say. "I'm not angry, you know." She admitted, glancing back at the others.

"I figured. You're just worried about him." Mirabel said softly. Maya slowly nodded, her gaze still focused on the others. "Believe me, I'm worried too."

"I still don't understand why you're for this." Maya mutters, walking over to the hill to sit down on top of it. Below the hill was another small hill. "Why did you agree to this? Did you not care about Lucas' safety? You're his best friend."

"Yes, of course I care about his safety. I'm still really worried about him, but I believe he can do this. I've seen him grow up and he's always been a very determined person, especially when it comes to making his family proud. He's always had a habit of trying to live up to the expectations everyone has set for him. And I leaned over the years that when he has his mind set on something it's hard to change his mind." Mirabel explains. "And yes, I'm freaking terrified of what could happen." She admits, inhaling sharply. "But I'm trying to stay positive and be optimistic for Lucas' sake."

"It's just- it's hard for me to be optimistic about this." Maya admits, glancing at her. "I don't want to lose him, Mirabel."

"Neither do I." Mirabel agrees. She lets out a quiet sigh and smiles sadly. "Look, Maya, I don't know you or Riley and Farkle well, but I can tell you guys care about him. Especially you and Riley. And Lucas cares about you guys a lot. I know he will do his best, Maya. And I know he's going to need our support more than ever. He's going to need your support."

She then stands up, giving the blonde a small smile. "So, are you gonna come with me and watch him with the others?" She asked, holding her hand out to help Maya up.

"I'm sorry. I don't think I can watch him." Maya mumbled, shaking her head.

Mirabel nods in understanding, reaching out to squeeze her shoulder gently. "I understand. I'm not going to force you to, okay? Just know that the invitation is there." She told her, pulling her hand away.

Maya looks down at the ground for a moment, not saying anything. She didn't know what to say, her mind was racing with thoughts. Finally, she looks back up at Mirabel. "Thank you, Mirabel. For the offer and the talk. It meant a lot. You're a good person, I'm glad Lucas had someone like you in his life."

"I'm glad he has someone like you in his life too. You're a good person too, even if you don't wanna admit it." Mirabel teased a bit, causing Maya to roll her eyes as she chuckled lightly.

"Whatever, Florres." Maya muttered, shoving her playfully. Mirabel giggled, her eyes brightening a bit.

"You know, if you ever need to talk to someone about anything, you can talk to me. I'll always be willing to listen." Mirabel tells her, looking at her seriously.

Maya's gaze softens, giving her a small nod. "I'll keep that in mind." She smiles softly. "Thanks." She's surprised what Mirabel said. Mirabel doesn't know her yet she still offered to listen and be there for her if she needed someone. She's glad she offered, she's happy to have met her and get to know her.

Mirabel smiles. "Well, I'll see you later, Maya." She said, walking over to where the others are. She was glad she had that talk with Maya. She didn't really know Maya, but she could tell that deep down she was a good person and that she cares about Lucas a lot.

She got to the ring, climbing onto the fence where the others, her parents included, were standing. Lucas had already got on Tombstone, having a couple people around him helping him get ready. Mirabel's heart raced with worry and nervousness, her gaze focused on her best friend.

"You can do this, Lucas! You can do anything!" Riley assured him. "This bull is nothing!"

"She never seen a bull before has she?" Beatrix whispered to her husband.

"Probably not." Beau sighed.

Riley's eyes widen with disbelief when she saw the bull Lucas was on. "That's the bull?" She gasped.

"Uh-huh." Mirabel nodded with a grimace.

"Lucas, tell the bull you want to be a veterinarian!" Riley suggests. "It's your only hope!"

"I'm gonna be a veterinarian." Lucas tells Tombstone. Tombstone bellows angrily in response. "He doesn't care!" Lucas informed Riley.

Cletus then showed up dressed in a rodeo clown outfit. "Lukey!" He takes his hat and red nose off with a smile. "It's me, garducky."

"Cletus, you gotta get out of here." Lucas warned.

"I'm gonna distract Tombstone. He gonna forget all about you and come after me. That's my plan." Cletus explains and then he made a funny face and a funny Boise at Tombstone. Tombstone didn't like it apparently because he bellows angrily. "Well, can't do nothin' if he won't listen to reason." Cletus then ran over to the fence and climbed out. Mirabel thought it was sweet Cletus tried to distract Tombstone for Lucas, but she also found it a bit amusing.

"Here we go, folks. Time for the moment of truth." The announcer spoke.

"Okay, Tombstone, just you and me." Lucas whispered, trying to calm down his fast heart beat and the nervousness that filled him. He couldn't focus on that right now, he had to keep his focus on riding.

Mirabel cheered along with everyone else as two men opened the gate before quickly stepping away. "And the gate opens!" The announcer spoke.

Mirabel doesn't realize she's holding a breath as she watched Lucas. It somehow seemed to be going by in slow motion, her gaze not leaving her best friend. It's almost as if her whole world seemed to stop, her whole being focused on Lucas. Her heart is racing, her mind is filled with anxiety and worry. She's so worried, but she's still cheering.

Lucas' grip tightened on the rope as Tombstone charged into the arena. He tried to hold on as long as possible. The bull kicked and bucked, doing anything it could to get him off. The seconds passed by agonizingly slow.

Mirabel held her breath as Lucas struggled to stay on, her heart racing. The seconds seemed to pass by agonizingly slow, time seeming to have stopped. Everything around her was a blur, the only thing she could focus on was her best friend and the bull. She felt like she was on the brink of a panic attack just by watching him on the bull. She could only imagine how Lucas felt right now.

Then suddenly Lucas is thrown off Tombstone and into the air, landing hard on his back. The crowd gasps. Mirabel's eyes widen as her heart dropped. "No..." She breathed out. "Lucas!" She shouted, not wasting a second as she begins to climb over the fence. She quickly ran over to Lucas, her heart pounding and her stomach twisting with worry. She fell to her knees, ignoring the stinging pain as her knees collided with the hard ground. She didn't notice Riley running over to them as well, all she could focus was on Lucas. She turned Lucas over since he had fell on his stomach, her heart racing.

"Lucas, Lucas are you alright? Please be alright." Mirabel whispered, her eyes filled with concern as she pulled him over onto his back. His upper half now laid on her lap but she didn't care. She just hoped he wasn't unconscious.

Lucas let out a quiet groan of pain, his head falling against her lap. His eyes fluttered open, blinking a couple times. The first thing he saw was Mirabel's worried face staring down at him. He could also hear the cheers of the crowd. "Hey, Bel." He smiled weakly.

"Hi, Lu." Mirabel's eyes fill with relief as she let out the breath she didn't realize she was holding. "Don't you dare scare me like that again." She scolded.

"I'm sorry, Bel." Lucas said softly. He couldn't help but chuckle, a small smile forming. "I stayed on for, like, thirty seconds."

Mirabel and Riley share a relieved look, both girls relieved he's okay and they both glance at Lucas with a smile, chuckling a bit as well. "Yeah, yeah, we knew you could." Riley smiled softly.

Mirabel looks at him with soft eyes, her expression turning serious. "I'm glad you're okay, Lu. You really had me worried."

"I'm sorry, Bel." Lucas murmured, looking up at her with guilty eyes. He hadn't meant to worry her, he hated seeing her worried and scared.

"It's okay, Lucas." Mirabel assured him. Zay and Farkle were quick to climb over the fence and ran over to their friends. They helped the girls get Lucas to stand. Lucas got his helmet off as Zay noticed the time.

"Look, you did it."

Everyone glances at the time when he said that and Mirabel gasps at seeing it, hee eyes lighting up. Lucas beat the recent time of the last guy who rode on Tombstone. "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, that is an official time! He's done it!" Cheers filled the air and Mirabel turned to look at Lucas with wide eyes and a bright smile.

"You did it!" Mirabel beamed. She quickly wraps her arms around him in a tight hug. Lucas grinned and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her back. Mirabel's heart raced as she pulled back a bit, keeping her hands on his shoulders. Her brown eyes were filled with pride and happiness. "I'm so proud of you, Lucas. I knew you could do it. And I'm so happy you're okay."

"Thanks, Bel." Lucas's green eyes are soft and his face was filled with pride. His chest warmed at her words, he couldn't help but feel proud of himself. And he was so happy to know his best friend was proud of him too.

"Lukey! I'm proud of you, Lukey!" Cletus said excitedly as he went over to the group.

"We all are, boy." Pappy Joe proudly says, walking over with a trophy, Beatrix and Beau following him with proud smiles on their faces. "I never seen nothing like it in my life."

Lucas smiles, taking the trophy his grandfather handed him. He's quiet for a moment before he offers the trophy to him. "Wanna hold onto this for safe keeping?" He asked hopefully.

Pappy Joe looks surprised, but then he smiles proudly. "I'd be honored." He took the trophy and Mirabel couldn't help but smile brightly at the scene. She knew how much it meant for Lucas to hear his grandfather say that and she's so happy for him.

"I'll keep it shinin' like the sun, garducky." Cletus smiled widely. Pappy Joe then turned to the crowd with a grin, raising the trophy and everyone cheered and applauded once more.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Lucas Friar!" The announcer exclaims. "The new Master of Tombstone!"

Mirabel smiles widely at Lucas, wrapping her arm around him and pulling him into her side. He wrapped his arm around her with a grin, leaning over to kiss the side of her head. Her heart warmed and her cheeks flushed slightly, her smile only growing.

She and Lucas followed the others out of the ring, the two of them pulling apart from each other. Mr. McCullough and his grandson had been standing near the door to the ring and Mirabel smiled softly as she watched Lucas reassured Timmy he did a great job with riding Judy the Sheep. Lucas was so sweet and caring, she admired that about him. She hoped he would never change.

After saying goodbye to the others, the two groups went their separate ways. 

A/N lucas & mirabel >>>>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.4K 2.1K 57
I'm pretty sure you've heard of the story of a famous teen celebrity and a normal guy falling in love. Well, this is my story. Once upon a time ther...
455 49 30
Peyton has known forever that she felt something for Parker, even when she didn't know exactly what love was. What she always wondered was, did Parke...
87.1K 2.8K 20
When Maya and Lucas hang out at the park one day, Maya feels as if there may be something between them. But if there is, will she destroy more and mo...
4K 191 29
LUCAS I sat next to her on the couch and brushed her hair from her face. She was all sweaty. " Lucas ..?" She hummed. " I'm here.." " I'm sorry, I'm...