Scope of Life || Yeonbin

By txtbtskpop

Yeonjun and Soobin cross paths when Yeonjun's been hired onto the swat team that Soobin has been on for years... More

introduction
chapter 1: the meet cute
chapter 3: secret session
chapter 4: potential panic
chapter 5: dinner and a nightmare
chapter 6: the morning after
chapter 7: old friends
chapter 8: call back
chapter 9: the compulsions
chapter 10: realizations are horrifying
chapter 11: risks of the job

chapter 2: the first call

170 25 2
By txtbtskpop

Soobin's POV

I was finishing sighting in my scope when the alarm sounded, flinching from the noise, "Shit." I mumbled under my breath, quickly putting my rifle in its case, and sprinting to our locker room. The alarm means we got a call, and we only have about two minutes to get ready. The rest of my teammates were hurrying in there as well, and Yeonjun looked a bit flustered.

This is his first call and his first day, so I guess this will be his test. I threw my vest on over my head, getting a routine at this point to do it as fast as possible. The whole vest is about twenty pounds with all of my gear, and it's a bit heavy, but I really need to carry all this stuff with me. Most of the stuff on my vest is medical supplies in case someone's hurt. I already had my holster on my thigh, shoving my pistol into it as well before I put my earpiece in. I was the first one to run to the car with my sniper rifle, seeing Taehyun running out of the locker room at the same time. The cars are already packed with all the equipment we need, including our assault rifles that we all carry with us.

Taehyun and I got into the same car, letting him sit in the passenger seat and I sat in the back. Chan and Changbin always drive, and we were just waiting for one of them to get into the car with us and the other three will get into the second car. Chan hopped into the car a second later, starting it and waiting for Yeonjun, Changbin, and Ryujin to get in the car behind us. Chan put in his earpiece, turning on the radio and asking, "Yuna-ssi, bring us up to speed."

I saw everyone get into the car behind us in the rearview mirror, so Chan started the car and turned on the sirens as he drove. Yuna spoke to us as we were driving, "You're heading to Crown Corporation Tower. Disgruntled employee by the name of Yang Jihyun. Was fired last week along with a load of other people. I guess the company was making cuts."

"What's the situation inside?" Chan asked.

"Armed with a pistol. Has taken hostages on the eighth floor where he used to work. Everyone else in the building has been evacuated. No real vantage point for a sniper in the surrounding area."

"Alright, rookie..." Chan said, smiling right after, "Can you give us a profile based on that?"

He didn't hesitate, "The stressor was when he got fired last week, so he's probably there for his boss. Everyone else on the floor most likely isn't involved, so he won't have a problem with us getting them out of the building. His boss will be his only focus..." Yeonjun spoke quickly, like the thoughts were coming into his head too fast, "People who retaliate like this usually have a financial motivation, like a partner and kids to provide for. Most likely has no criminal record. He's doing this out of rage and is most likely not aware of the consequences of his actions. This might make him feel stressed or anxious when there's a lot of things happening at once. Most likely will be a bit skittish when we show up."

I was impressed when Yeonjun was done, and everyone was quiet for a few seconds before Taehyun asked, "You got all that from a few things Yuna said?" He said it in shock, turning to me to exchange a look of disbelief.

"Y-Yeah..." Yeonjun quietly replied, "Sorry, I know it's not a full profile of the subject."

Chan smiled, chuckling lightly as he said, "I knew I hired you for a reason..." Chan paused to think for a moment. I already knew what he was doing: coming up with a strategy in his head, "Alright everyone, here's the plan. We'll all go to the eighth floor and top priority is to get the hostages out of there. Soobin will stay with me while I try to talk this guy down. Everyone else, your job is to get the hostages out safely and then check to make sure there's nobody else in the building. Understood?"

Everyone said 'yes' over the radio, and then we were quiet for the rest of the way over there. Once we got there, I saw the police cars with their lights flashing outside the building. There was a crowd, which is the last thing we need right now based off what Yeonjun said. We scrambled to get out of the cars, going to the trunk where we each grabbed our assault rifles and jogged inside. Chan was in the front, leading the way to the elevator.

"I sent the blueprints of the entire building to everyone's phone." Yuna said as we all got in the elevator.

We all grabbed our phones, looking at the floor plan as I heard Changbin reply, "Yuna, you're the best."

"Alright, there's a hallway that leads to the main room on the eighth floor. Diamond formation behind me and someone covers our six. Soobin, you'll be on my right." Chan said, shoving his phone back into his pocket.

I looked at the floor plan one more time before putting my phone back in my pocket as well. The elevator dinged, and Chan had his rifle ready when the doors opened. I was on his right, and I saw that Ryujin was on his left, leaving Taehyun, Changbin, and Yeonjun behind us. We moved forward, slowly walking into the office space at the end of the hallway.

I could see dozens of people under their desks, and right in the center of the area was the guy we were looking for. He had a pistol in his hand, and he seemed flustered in this whole situation. Someone was on his knees in front of him, and I'm just making the assumption that it's his boss; well, previous boss.

He was right about everything.

I kept him in my sights in case something happened, hearing Chan say, "Hi there..." I know he already lowered his rifle, and the rest of us kept ours up. This is what happens every time he needs to calm someone down. I stopped in my tracks, and everyone else did too, watching the guy flinch in my scope and move behind his ex-boss. He looked anxious, noticing how the pistol was shaking in his hand. Chan noticed, "Ok, ok... Let's just stay calm, alright?"

His eyes were moving all over the place, and Chan kept talking to him, "I'm going to put my gun down, ok? I just want to talk..." He paused for a few seconds, faintly hearing how he gently placed his rifle on the floor, "My name's Chan. Sorry, it bugs me when I don't know who I'm talking to. Would you mind telling me your name?" He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

The man gulped, and I just noticed how he was sweating, "J-Jihyun."

Yuna started talking in our earpieces, "He has no criminal record and has a wife and three kids. Nothing bad at all in his background either. Yeonjun-ssi was spot on." I knew what she said was true. I could tell just by the way he was holding the gun that he's probably never even shot it before.

"Ok, Jihyun. My team and I are here to make sure that nobody gets hurt..." Chan said, knowing he put the information in his head, "Do you mind if I ask why're you're here?"

His eyes were still moving all over the place, like he was overwhelmed, "I-I'm angry! This asshole fired me for no reason! How am I going to feed my kids now?!"

His boss chimed in, "Th-The company was m-making cuts a-and there was nothing I could do—"

"Shut up!" Jihyun cut him off, his hand shaking as he pointed the gun at him.

"Hey, hey, hey..." Chan quietly said, "Just talk to me, alright? Focus on me."

Jihyun looked back at Chan, "I-I can't focus! The fucking sirens are so loud!..." He turned to the window and yelled, "Shut up!" Right after.

"Ok, sir I need you to breathe..." Chan tried to keep him calm, "I can get everyone outside to turn them off for you. Is that alright?"

He seemed surprised, hesitating for a moment before he silently nodded his head. I heard Chan say, "Taehyun, go back outside and tell everyone to turn their sirens and lights off."

"Got it, boss." He quickly replied, hearing his footsteps get further and further away.

I focused on my breathing and making sure I kept him in my sight. When you're a sniper, you have to learn this breathing technique that makes your heart rate really low. It helps so that there's not as much swaying and you're more accurate. I was doing the same thing now, knowing I'm going to be in this position for a while.

Less than a minute went by before all the sirens went quiet, "There, is that better?..." Chan asked, and Jihyun nodded. He seemed surprised, like he wasn't expecting Chan to do that for him, "Ok, now I did you a favor, so I want to ask you for a favor. Would it be alright if my team gets everyone else out of here? The less people that are hurt, the better for the both of us, and I know they aren't who you're mad at."

It took him a few seconds to think about his offer, and then he timidly said, "Th-That's fine."

I knew Chan took a little breath of relief, "Here's what I'm going to do..." I saw how he gestured to me in my peripheral vision, "This is Soobin, and I'm going to have him stay with me while the rest of my team gets everyone out of here. Then it'll just be the four of us, and a lot less overwhelming. Is that alright?"

Jihyun nodded, and Chan quickly said, "Everyone please calmly and quietly come to the front and my team will escort you outside!" He spoke loudly so everyone on the floor would be able to hear him.

People were scrambling to stand up and rush over to us for safety; so much for being calm. I understand where they're coming from since it's not every day that an ex-employee shows up at the office with a gun, but I just wish they knew that we were going to keep them safe. It only took a minute or two until everyone packed up into the two elevators and made their way back down, leaving just his ex-boss in danger now.

"Thank you. I really appreciate you doing that for me..." I still had him in my sights, and his eyes kept going back and forth between me and Chan, "Soobin's just here to keep us all safe. Do you want us to back up a little?..." Jihyun instantly nodded, and Chan added, "Alright, no worries. Soobin, let's take a few steps back." He said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I didn't lower my rifle as I took three steps backwards, feeling Chan next to me still, "I want to help you, Jihyun. That's why I'm here. Let's take a deep breath, ok?" He said, trying his best to calm down the situation. I watched as he took a deep breath in my scope, and I heard Chan do the same thing.

"May I ask how many kids you and your wife have?"

He hesitated, "Th-Three. Two boys a-and a girl."

I know Chan gave him a little smile, "I know you love them. I can tell you're a family man from a mile away. My wife and I have our hands full with just one, so I can't even imagine how tricky it is to have three."

His hand was shaking more than before, seeing his eyes gloss over, "I-I needed this job. We're barely scraping by."

"I understand..." Chan replied, "I want you to be able to see them after this, but the only way I can make that happen is if nobody gets hurt. Can you do that for me?"

I heard over our radio, "First floor clear."

"Second floor clear."

"Third floor clear."

"Fourth floor clear." The last one sounded like Yeonjun, and they must've split up to check each floor.

He sniffled, on the verge of tears, "I-I don't know what I'm doing."

"That's ok; I know this is all overwhelming..." Chan quickly said, "I know this isn't you, Jihyun. I know you're angry and upset, but this isn't going to solve anything..." It looked like he was getting through to him, so Chan took a step closer. I moved with him to make sure he was safe as he added, "Let's just put the gun down, ok?"

"Fifth floor clear."

"Sixth floor clear."

"Seventh floor clear. Do you want us to cover you, boss?" Ryujin asked, knowing they cleared out the rest of the building.

"Stand down. Go outside and keep the crowd calm." Chan whispered so Jihyun wouldn't freak out.

Jihyun just stood there in thought, his hand continuing to shake. There were tears sliding down his cheeks now, and he was trying to blink them away, "Jihyun, hey..." Chan called out when he didn't say anything, "I want you to see your wife and kids, but the only way I can make that happen is if you put the gun down. Can you do that for me?"

He hesitated still, waiting a few seconds before dropping the gun on the floor. Chan ran over to him right after, and I lowered my rifle and ran over to the guy in front of him. I pulled him out of the way and Chan handcuffed Jihyun, who was crying now. I brought a hand up to my earpiece, "Threat clear. Suspect in custody..." I said, and then slung my rifle over my shoulder so I didn't have to hold it anymore. I turned to the guy I had pulled away, "Are you hurt at all?"

He looked all over the place, like he wasn't believing what was happening, "Umm... H-He just hit my head with his pistol."

I nodded, "Ok, you might have a concussion..." I took a few seconds to see if there were any wounds, but just a large bump on his head. I brought my finger up to my ear again, "Do we have a medic on sight? I have a possible concussion here."

"Soobin..." Chan said, making me turn to him. He had Jihyun sitting on the ground, and he was kneeling next to him, "Bring him out first. I'll be ok."

I nodded, putting my hand out to help him up. He placed his hand in mine and stood up with me, and I placed a hand on his shoulder to escort him out. I heard Yeonjun over the radio, "Medics are here. Right outside the main entrance."

"Perfect; thank you." I replied, pressing the button on the elevator to bring us back down.

The guy took a breath of relief once the doors closed, and I turned to him to make sure he was alright. He brought his hands up, rubbing his face and noticing how his hands were shaking. He must still be in shock, and I understand where he's coming from. I mean, this guy just had a gun pointed at his head for the last half hour.

"Thank you..." He said, taking his hands away from his face and looking at me, "I seriously can't thank you guys enough."

I gave him a little smile, "It's our job." I replied.

He shook his head, "You guys saved my life..." He said, looking into my eyes, "Thank you."

I didn't really know what to say, just nodding in response as the elevator stopped and the doors opened. Not everyone thanks us like this, and I never know what to respond. I mean, I get paid to do this, so I don't really feel like it's worth thanking us. We came here to keep people safe, and that's exactly what we did.

I took him outside, the crowd seemed to have gotten bigger, but the sirens were still off. The medics were right outside the door like Yeonjun said, and he was actually chatting with one of them. Maybe they knew each other or something, but they paused their conversation when they saw me come outside.

I turned on my heel when he was with the medics, and Yeonjun was right in front of me. He was smiling, must've put his rifle back in the car since we didn't need them anymore, "Good job up there."

I chuckled lightly, "Hyungie did all the work." I replied, and as if on cue, the doors opened again. Chan walked out with Jihyun, holding onto his arm so he didn't try to run. It made Yeonjun turn around to see him as well. His rifle was over his shoulder, and he kind of looked like an action hero. He walked over to the police and handed him over, and then Yeonjun placed a hand on my shoulder. I wasn't expecting it, snapping my head to him.

He smiled at me, "Yes, he's very impressive..." He patted my shoulder as he added, "But don't say that. It's a team effort."

What he said made me smile, and we started walking back to our cars. He still had his hand on my shoulder as we moved, and I replied, "Well, you did good on your first call."

He chuckled lightly, bringing his other hand up to rub the back of his neck. I guess he's not great at accepting compliments since he shyly said, "Thank you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 508 22
Soobin and Beomgyu always cared for each other dearly. While their other friends, hueningkai, taehyun and yeonjun suspect something more, Beomgyu and...
1.2K 43 12
A story where Beomgyu likes the new kid (Taehyun) but his best friend (Soobin) has a crush on him so it's confusing.. Started: May 30th 2023(Septembe...
11.6K 527 23
Soobin might be falling for his group member? What happens when Soobin's feelings starts to get in the way of his career as an idol? What happens whe...
4.7K 386 22
" You couldn't hate me more than I hate myself. " Soobin would do anything for his bandmates. This is the time that it's put to the test. ...