Warmth of You || Hajime Hinat...

بواسطة Mahirus_Koizumi

"But are you still cold?" "A little bit." she answered with a coy smile. - That day was a cold Christmas nigh... المزيد

Author's Notes

Warmth of You

87 2 2
بواسطة Mahirus_Koizumi

"Why do you like him anyway?" an annoyed Hiyoko groaned, rolling on Mahiru's bed like a child having a tantrum. "Did he do anything to you? That pervert!"

Mahiru chuckled nervously, 'Even I don't know how these feelings started...', she thought to herself.

"He's alright," she answers. "Compared to the rest of the guys in our class when you think about it."

Hiyoko pouts, there's no use changing her opinion on Hajime. Even if Hajime were to commit a heroic act or save lives, Hiyoko would probably find a way to see the negative aspects of him.

"Why don't you just spend Christmas with me?" Hiyoko asks. "You already spent the past few days with him!"

Mahiru sighs once hearing her request. It's not that she doesn't want to spend Christmas with Hiyoko. In fact, it would be better if she did since they are close friends. But she cannot ignore the feelings that have been brewing inside of her for the past few weeks. It was starting to irritate her.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

A week ago...

In the hotel restaurant, Mahiru made some Hot Chocolate for herself. For an island, she had never thought it could get this cold, let alone snow.

Blowing onto the chocolate-filled cup, she took small sips in order to savor the warmth of the beverage. Her sole presence in the restaurant plus the soft sounds of the winter wind passing her ears, this was a moment of peace.

Until she heard a man's yell calling out to her.

"Mahiru!" Hajime yelled, the sound of his call echoing throughout the restaurant.

Reaching the top of the staircase, Hajime scanned the area, searching for the photographer. As soon as his eyes landed on hers, a small smile grew on his face.

"Finally, found you!" Hajime exclaimed, walking towards her.

"You sound unusually happy," Mahiru pointed out. "What is it this time?"

"I was going to ask if you're free to do something during Christmas week?" Hajime asked with a slight sound of timidity in his voice.

Hajime always asks everyone in the class to hang out with him, including Monomi sometimes. Mahiru can never get what his deal is. However, Hajime rarely asks Mahiru to spend time with him. She had thought that he hated her or was scared that she would beat him up at the mere thought of asking her.

"And what is that something you say?" Mahiru sternly asks. "I have a lot to do during Christmas week."

That was a lie. She was practically free throughout Christmas, only hanging out with Hiyoko during Christmas day itself. Every other day of that week was begging for plans or activities to do.

"Oh, I see..." Hajime said. "I was going to ask if we could arrange a party for everyone."

Mahiru tilted her head with a puzzled expression. That was an unexpected request, one that she couldn't even think of.

"A party?" Mahiru wondered, "Why approach me? I don't think I'm the right candidate to go to." Unless it was related to photography, she isn't so much of an expert when it comes to being involved in the party planning process.

"Well, I thought that you could help me with planning how the overall event would go," Hajime explained. "This isn't an insult, but you're more... rational? than the others, if I had to admit."

'Rational, huh?' That was an unexpected word to describe her. To her surprise, she didn't feel offended by that statement as she understood where he was coming from. The others in the class were people who had... interesting personalities. When it comes to suggesting things, most of them would vouch for one thing only, without considering what others would think due to their mindset.

What she had gathered from him was that Hajime saw her as someone reliable. A compliment she was willing to take.

"I get it," Mahiru said. "You want someone who can see what everyone else wants, don't you?"

Hajime nods, it seems that she hit the mark with that one.

"Listen, I don't know how to plan big parties, especially the Christmas party-related kinds," Mahiru warns, crossing her arms around her. "But fine, I'll do my best to try and make up a plan with you."

"Really? Wow," Hajime says in shock. "I didn't think you would say yes."

She exclaims in offense, "Geez, you think I always say no?"

He chuckles nervously, scratching the back of his head. It seems like that's the case.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The present...

"Are you there?" Hiyoko called out, bringing the photographer back to the present. The day had come for the Christmas party to commence. Err, more of a Christmas Eve party if she had to specify.

"Sorry. I was lost in my thoughts," Mahiru apologized, shaking her head lightly in an attempt to wake herself up more. "Did you ask anything?"

"I was asking if you got a gift for him?" Hiyoko asked. "Since you gave me a gift too."

'Shoot. I forgot...' Mahiru cursed at herself. Occupied with planning the party, Mahiru had no opportunity to get or even think of what gift to give Hajime. She can't possibly think of a gift right now on the day of the party.

"Sorry Hiyoko, I can't tell you that right now." Mahiru lied.

"Why? I can keep a secret, you know!" Hiyoko said.

"That's because it's..." Mahiru hesitates. "It's a surprise for him!"

Hiyoko groans at the response. The "surprise" answer always does the trick for covering up mistakes, at least that's what Mahiru thought at the time.

"Fine! That surprise better be good Mahiru!" Hiyoko huffed. "Even if he sucks."

All the photographer could do was to laugh. This isn't good. Not good at all.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The festive Christmas Eve party had finally started.

The Old Lodge had been decorated with Christmas-themed wall decor, including a large Christmas tree outfitted with unique ornaments crafted and painted by everybody the day before as a bonding activity.

To set the festive mood, Mahiru had requested for Ibuki to perform for the party. Although it wasn't a stage performance, Ibuki gladly agreed to the request. As soon as the party got going, Ibuki strummed to her guitar, singing her metal versions of famous Christmas songs.

After the first two songs, people had requested for her to stop completely, and she begrudgingly adhered to their wishes.

"I'm sorry Mahiru!" Ibuki wailed, gripping onto the photographer's skirt. "I did my best! But I guess it wasn't enough..."

Mahiru reassured her, "No you did great! Don't worry about it!"

"You can just hang out with the rest of us, how about that?" Mahiru asked nicely.

Ibuki sniffles through her tears and nods in agreement. She mumbled a small apology once again before making her way to the others. In the end, Mahiru was left confused as the act was out of character for her.

"Sorry, I should've done something about that." A familiar voice asked her from behind. Mahiru turned back to see that Hajime had been watching her the whole time.

"Hey! Eavesdropping is a bit weird, you know!" Mahiru scolded, placing both arms on her waist.

"I am just trying to help," Hajime said. "I feel kind of bad for her, but I understand why everyone told her to stop."

Mahiru nods in agreement. However, she cannot shake the feeling of disappointment inside of her. It had become visible in her face and expressions. Her head dropped down as she sighed in frustration.

Hajime notices this and politely asks, "Are you alright? You don't seem like you are."

Mahiru stares at him in the eye with an expressionless look. "Is it because of Ibuki's performance?" He asks. "If it's because of that, then I apologize for not helping you out with the whole plan, and asking her about her setlist."

She knows that her disappointment is not because of that. She knows it's not about the party at all.

"It's just that..." Mahiru mumbles, before her words trail off into the air.

"Just that, what?" Hajime repeated.

'No. I can't think straight right now.' was the only thought that made its way to her mind at that moment. Mahiru had felt overwhelmed, even though nothing was practically happening.

"I need some air..." Mahiru said politely, as she started walking out the door of the lodge.

As soon as she closed the door, the sounds of joyful laughter filled the room. But what had also been left was a bewildered man standing in place. The man wondered if he should leave her to her own devices or if he should follow her.

At that instant, he decided he should do the latter. It was about time for him to seize this moment.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Mahiru ran with no particular destination in her mind. The chilly weather gnawed at her skin, but she didn't care at that moment. All she wanted was some peace and quiet. Running away from anything that would give her the dreadful thought of him.

After what seemed like forever, she found herself standing on the beach shore. It was a freezing night, and the shore breeze cemented that fact. 'How can an island get so cold?' she thought.

She sat on the sand and folded her knees to her chest, hugging them in an attempt to shield her legs from the cold. Mahiru stared at the waves as they pushed themselves onto the shore and back out into the sea. The sounds of waves and wind calmed her senses.

"Pure peace..." Mahiru mumbled to herself.

She closed her eyes, resting to the sounds of nature. And with that, her senses were at peace.

She could no longer feel that former overwhelming sense.

Even her senses had come to a stop, leaving pure nothingness.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"..ru.."

"Ma.."

"..hiru!"

A faint voice echoed in her mind. A voice that was calling out to someone.

"Mahiru!"

A voice that was calling out to her.

Mahiru jolted awake, getting up from what seemed like a deep slumber. She found herself lying down in bed inside a cabin room, however, it wasn't her own room.

Her eyes turned to her side only for them to meet with emerald ones staring at her. The man in front of her displayed expressions of worry. She could hear him asking questions meant for her, but none of them made it through her mind.

Suddenly, Mahiru could feel a soreness in her hands and a painful headache made itself known to her. Perhaps it came from her overexposure to the winter weather at the beach. She placed a hand on her hand in an attempt to combat the aching feeling but to no avail.

"You have a headache?" The man beside her asked. "Monomi gave me some earlier."

Mahiru had forgotten that there was another person in the room. She focused her eyes on the man again, and her brain finally registered on who he was.

"Hajime...?" Mahiru barely uttered.

Hajime turned to her with a warm smile, as well as the medicine and a cup of water in both of his hands. If she could, she would've taken a picture right then and there. That smile was a treasure.

'What am I thinking?' she cringed to herself. The feelings she had for the man started creeping up unwarranted. She didn't want to slip up in front of him, especially since they were alone in his cabin.

Hajime handed over to her the medicine and water, and Mahiru hastily took it from him, uttering a quick thanks before drinking it.

"The others are still at the lodge," Hajime said. "Only Monomi knows that you're here with me."

An awkward silence filled the cabin. Mahiru wanted to say something to him, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything. That was until Hajime broke the silence.

"I'm sorry that I asked you about organizing the party," Hajime apologized. "There was too much pressure put on you."

She interjected sternly, "It's not about organizing the party."

"It's not about Ibuki's performance either, if you were thinking of that." she added.

This was it. She knew that this conversation would head in the direction she feared. She didn't want to address her feelings now, heck, she didn't want to address them at all. Perhaps if she plays it off as something "a guy shouldn't know about" she could avoid the conversation altogether.

But something inside of her wants to know more about what he thinks of her.

And so she listens to that curiosity of hers once.

"I was planning on giving you a gift," Mahiru admitted. "But because I had to organize the party, I didn't have time to think about it."

"A gift...?" Hajime repeated, with a look of shock plastered on his face.

"Yes, I know. I ran out into the winter cold because of that," Mahiru mocked herself. "Go ahead, you can laugh at me for that."

"And why should I laugh?" Hajime says in concern. "I can understand that you were probably stressed because of that."

Hajime sat on the edge of the bed with Mahiru on the other side covered up in the bed's blanket. His eyes met with hers, and the gaze he had on her was powerful or serious yet one that felt friendly and sensitive. It was another moment she wanted to take a picture of. But unconsciously, her mind took a picture of the moment right then and there.

"Listen Mahiru," Hajime emphasized. "I know we only started hanging out during the past few days, but I have to admit that-"

'Here it is... the dreaded statement.'

"I have to admit that you are an amazing person." He stated.

"A-Amazing...?" Mahiru repeated in bewilderment. She had expected him to either confess his hatred or fear of her, or maybe a "friend zone" statement if he was that kind of person. But that was a compliment she didn't expect.

"Everyone on this island is amazing," Hajime said. "But whenever I talk to you, something... clicks?" Hajime chuckled.

Mahiru understood now. Most likely, Hajime is feeling the same way as she does. But like every other high schooler, they are bad with feelings. However, Mahiru is not like every other high schooler. She wants to prove that. And so, she takes a leap of faith.

"It's very cold." Mahiru said shyly. She pulled up the blanket to cover her reddening cheeks. That was a risky move, and she wondered if he would notice that act.

Hajime is shocked for a second before quickly grabbing a smaller blanket that was placed on a table next to his bed. He sat closer to Mahiru with their bodies almost touching, and he draped the blanket over her back.

"I hope that's warm enough for you," Hajime said.

Mahiru smiled at him. A mixed look of both satisfaction and dissatisfaction on her face. But she wonders if he could see the latter. And to her surprise, he could. Hajime smiled at her with a warmth like that of a fireplace.

"But are you still cold?"

Without question, she nodded and laid her shoulder onto his. "A little bit." she answered with a coy smile. Hajime was shocked at the sudden act, but he soaked into it, leaning his head onto hers. They both understood.

"Merry Christmas, Mahiru."

"Merry Christmas, Hajime."

The snow outside danced to the wind.

The party in the distance sang the night away.

And the couple embraced the warmth of Christmas, together.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Ace بواسطة Antonia

العاطفية

191M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
603K 13.5K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
663K 40.6K 105
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
313K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc