LOST | Haerin x Reader

By deathkidlvl

Being lost in life takes a new meaning when Haerin literally gets lost >.< More

I
II
III
IV
V
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL

VI

610 48 6
By deathkidlvl

Narrator

Haerin went to bed upset at Y/n.

In reality, Haerin didn't know why she was upset. She didn't really know how she felt most of the time. She didn't even know how she was supposed to feel.

It was always just a bit of a taxing internal debate when Haerin wanted to feel one thing, but her brain told her otherwise.

- Y/N POV -

"NOOOOO!!!! STOOOPPP!!!" I could hear screaming in my dreams.

"MOM!! SISTER!!" I kept on hearing screaming.

My eyes started to flutter open and my body immediately went into panic mode when I heard the screams..... "HEEELLPP!! Y/NN!!"

I quickly got out of bed and ran out of my room. I tripped over the door frame, but quickly got up to check on Haerin. I rushed into her room and she was sound asleep.

"Noo," I heard her mumble under her breath.

It was starting up again.

Every so often, Haerin would have night terrors. She'd scream and kick in her sleep. Usually, it was only for a night or two... but this was the third time this week....

"Umm," I heard a sleepy groan escape Haerin's mouth as she started to wake up.

Haerin slowly started to lift her head up and jolted from the bed in fright when she noticed me.

"Woah, are you okay?" I asked, not realizing it probably scared her to see someone hovering over her bed.

"Yeah, w-what are you doing?" She started to get off the floor.

"Umm, I was just checking on you...," I cleared my throat a bit awkwardly before turning around to head back to my room.

"Did I do it again?" Haerin suddenly asked.

I stopped in my tracks and lowly answered, "Yeah".

Haerin knew she suffered from night terrors. It was worse when she was a kid, but the habit never really went away. She'd just wake up confused as to why a panic person was in her room looking like they saw a ghost.

To be honest, it was actually really scary... and.... very sad.

Haerin's screams were of genuine fright. Whatever she dreamed off... was so real to her that it made it feel like she was truly in danger. What was sad about it.... was that Haerin would be screaming for her mom, dad, sister, or me.

I was always the last one to be called.

"I'm so-"

*DING, DONG *

Haerin was just about to apologize for scaring me again, when the doorbell rang.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. I'm just glad you're okay," I gave her my usual response before walking over to check on the door.

I looked over the peephole, but found no one. So, I slowly opened the door and was startled to find Social Worker Hanni at my door.

"Hi," she kindly greeted.

She looked a lot different than she did on our first meeting.

"It's only been a week. You said 60 days. She's not going to go with you willingly and I won't let her," I coldly told her.

"Huh? What no! That's not what I'm here for," Social Worker Hanni answered a bit confused.

I furrowed my brows a bit unsettled.

- Haerin POV -

"I know we said 60 days and I want to make sure you're ready for that. I don't want to see Haerin in a foster home for Christmas," I heard a somewhat familiar voice say.

I peeked my head out of my room and found Social Worker Hanni walking into the house.

"I should hide," I thought to myself.

I knew that I couldn't be taken away from Y/n if I hid, but at the same time...... it was scary and I wanted to be comforted....

I took a deep breath out of fear, but started to hyperventilate out of stress immediately after.

I wanted to hide, but I didn't want to hide without Y/n.

"I'm here to make sure everything is okay at home," I heard Ms. Hanni tell Y/n.

"Yeah, okay. Thank you," Y/n sounded a bit nervous.

I slowly peeked my head out the door again and found Social Worker Hanni walking around the house as if she was inspecting it.

"Umm, this won't do," She suddenly said.

Out of panic, I quickly ran up to hold Y/n's arm. "No, I'm not going!!" I sternly told her.

If the social worker was saying that something wasn't good in the house then it meant she'd be taking me away.

"Huh?" Y/n hummed out.

"I am happy here and Y/n takes good care of me!" I kept my ground.

Ms. Hanni and Y/n gave me a bit of an odd look and I felt a little uncomfortable. So, I hid behind Y/n a little.

"Haerin, Ms. Pham is just here to help us pass our inspections. Don't worry. She's not here to take you," Y/n turned to hug me.

I hugged Y/n back tightly and nodded in understatement.

But still, I didn't trust Ms. Pham.

- Hanni POV -

"There is a few working programs I could suggest, but it would be best if you found a job outside of those. It makes you seem more competent," I told Y/n. 

It was a bit stressful to see young kids like Y/n and Haerin be ripped apart and, to be honest, I was sick and tired of it.

Y/n's visit was supposed to be my last one. Just a routine visit of taking away a child who did not live in a suitable home.

But, when I saw Haerin's reaction to being taken.... it was clear that this wasn't just a regular case for us...

"Here's your coffee Ms. Pham," Haerin sweetly placed a cup of coffee in front of me.

It was odd to see Haerin not in a panic.

Y/n had calmed her down enough to not feel threatened. So, she relaxed a bit and just acted like herself.

Haerin was calm, collected, and very observant. She also a lot quieter than when she'd scream out as if we were trying to cut her open.

"Water for you," Haerin told Y/n.

"Thank you. Do you want to join us?" Y/n asked, as they took the water from Haerin's hand.

Haerin just nodded and sat next to Y/n, leaning her head up on Y/n's shoulder.

"Okay," I sighed out.

It was a heartbreaking to see how close they were. I had seen many cases like this. It was always sad when a guarding died. It was even sadder to admit that putting the kids in a "safer" place wasn't always the right thing to do.

"So, these are the criteria you need to meet in order to pass your last visit. House cleanliness, food, and income are the basic. Next is daily things, such as school, comfort of living, and your report with Haerin. So, making sure she feels safe with you, you know how to properly correct her bad behavior, and you're keeping up with her health, doctor's appointments, etc. This will all be done in interview form," I did my best to not overwhelm Y/n with the rules.

Obviously, it wasn't really working.

Y/n took a really deep breath and nodded. Wrapping their arms around Haerin to hold her.

"I know it's a lot, but it's what's needed," I tried to comfort the pair.

"There will also be an interview part with Haerin. We just need to make sure that Haerin feels comfortable with you, feels loved and safe. We need to make sure she doesn't say anything that would raise a red flag in our eyes," I exhaled out.

"Huh?" Haerin suddenly lifted her head up from Y/n's embrace.

"But Y/n does all that already. Why would I need to be asked again?" She looked really worried.

"I know, but we just need to convince my colleague. If Y/n does that for you already then all you have to do is say the truth. It shouldn't be so hard to just say the truth, right?" I tried to ease her mind.

Y/n took a deep breath, as if questioning themselves, but Haerin just sternly nodded. She looked ready to do her part in the process.

About an hour passed by, and I finally decided to let the pair rest. I had shared a lot of information, tricks, and tips on how to allowed to stay with each other. It was probably more than I should have on my first visit, but I wanted my last case to be a successful case.

I had chosen to leave Social Work because it was not what I expected it to be. It was much more for the heartless than it was for the ones who really cared. I just couldn't do it anymore.

But, I wasn't going to let two kids who had obviously been relying on each other their whole life get ripped apart for absolutely no reason.

"Anyway, I'll come back next weekend to check on you both. I hope you stay well and try to enjoy the upcoming holidays, regardless of the grief you may feel," I tried to be as graceful as I could, but I really didn't know what to say.

"Thank you," Y/n waved me goodbye with a polite smile.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 1.2K 36
just read it if you want to know , i don't know how to write description.
1.9K 171 7
The world is now VirtUal, but it's a lot more dangerous than U think... Hanni will soon find out. (Newjeans AU)
22.7K 1.4K 20
I have men in suits protecting me, always willing to put their lives in danger to ensure my safety, but when they can't reach me, there's always one...
18.4K 428 25
"You know, I was ready to sacrifice anything for you, even if it meant going against the entire world. Now let me ask you, do you think Y/N would've...