No Cops!

By author_sayali

Ongoing Suzy Ford has just one rule when it comes to dating: No Cops! When handsome cop Jake Larson turns u... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 32

111 7 0
By author_sayali

"How long will I be held like this? I already told the police everything." The petulant whine was from Bert, or Rob, Suzy's idiot brother. Jake sighed, not wanting in the least to antagonize his star witness. He did cooperate, once he had been convinced that full cooperation will lead to leniency and even clemency.

Hell, if the kid was lucky, he may even enjoy the benefits of the Witness Protection Program. Only if he fully cooperated though.

They had miles long charge sheets filed against Busconi, his gang, his business associates. Names, numbers, dates, it was a veritable treasure trove.

But it always took long to dig up the treasure, they needed to be thorough and savvy.

"They really should let me go soon. I feel like a prisoner!"

"Didn't you meet your family yesterday? And Chloe had come the day before hadn't she?" He still couldn't wrap his head around the fact that badass Chloe was Bert, that is, Rob's girlfriend. They must have spent some interesting weeks together.

Rob sighed and held his head in his hands, dejected.

"I got in too deep man, it was like quicksand. I wanted to get out but it was too late. Now, my mom and sister-" He trailed away.

At least he seemed genuinely remorseful.

"Well, good thing is that you are out of the mess now. And by turning into a witness, you are helping the cops and ensuring that the police take good care of you. You are getting the best deal."

He sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I know. That's what my lawyer advised me." He looked at him then, his hair cropped close to his head and the clean shaven look with the glistening blue eyes made him look even younger than he was. "I want Joe behind bars. It's the least I can do for my friend, Shane."

"Yes, he won't get out of the murder charge so easily." Jake assured him.

Rob was silent for a while. "Can I ask you something?"

Jake hid an inward groan. But he had known this was coming. At his slight nod, Rob said, "What exactly is the deal with you and Suzy?"

Jake sighed, debating on how much to let the younger guy know. "She- well, we dated for a bit and-", another breath, "not sure what she feels about me now. She has pretty strong feelings against cops. She made rules against dating cops, for instance."

Rob chortled, "Yeah, Suzy and her rules!" He gave Jake once-over. "I love my sister, Sergeant Jake, I would hate it if you hurt her even a little bit." He stood up tall, all six feet of gangly muscle. "Now, I am not exactly in a position to make threats, but if you aren't serious about her, please stay the hell away from her."

He wanted to laugh at his bravado, but gravely assured her that he had nothing but respect and admiration for Suzy. Even love, but he wasn't going to admit to her punk brother yet.

#

"Did you talk to Suzy yet?" Vera Larson was on her daily mission to annoy the hell out of her son.

"Did dad get his medicines?" Jake deflected. It worked and Vera forgot about Suzy when she thanked her son, went into details of his dad's forgetfulness to take the medicines and hung up.

Jake focussed on his work. He was working longer hours daily, trying to wrap up all the Marauders gang members. The chargesheet against them took two cops working round the clock to prepare. Besides the paperwork, he had to organize a task force to clean up the gang activities. The connections went deep. It was a case that had cracked wide open, a dream for any cop to handle.

Rob was cooperative and his lawyer was a smart cookie. In exchange for witness protection, Rob was turning out to be the most cooperative criminal.

It was bad how these kids were lured into a life of crime for the glitz of glamor of easy money, women and in many cases, drugs. At least Rob had learned the error of his ways.

His thoughts, as many times in the past, turned to Suzy. She was adamant that she wouldn't forgive him for jailing his brother. Her loyalty was in conflict with morality. Which was kind of understandable except that he had a strong moral code himself. Had she asked him to go easy on her brother, he would have, but she hadn't.

She had been pretty shook up though. And, she had just shot at a man.

He sighed. He supposed he should call her and talk to her, assure her he wasn't the bad guy.

"Sarge, someone is waiting for you, I put them in interrogation room B. They have intel about the Marauders case." Teddy poked his head over his cubicle.

Well, he would call Suzy later. He had been dragging his feet about it for days already. Thirty one days to be exact.

He didn't know how to approach someone, even the love of his life, and look them in the face after causing them so much hurt. He was terrified that Suzy really meant what she said, that she would never forgive him.

He didn't know how to make her understand that this was his job. He couldn't walk away at this stage, and Rob needed him on his side.

Frowning at Teddy because his colleague was making some shifty movements, he strode over to interrogation room B. Teddy must have set the suspect up here probably because he had important information.

He knocked on the door, then let himself in.

"Hi- Suzy?" Was he dreaming?

But Suzy, his glorious angel wearing a red cap, white coat and mittens (who the hell even wore mittens these days, they were helluva impractical?) swung around startled.

She was observing her reflection in the one way mirror.

His heart sped up as her eyes lit up, but he reined his stupid heart in as she looked at the spartan table and chairs in the room.

Maybe she wasn't here to see him, she was probably here about Rob.

He strode to the table, landing the folder he was carrying on the table with an unnecessarily loud thud. Damn her for looking so fresh and kissable!

"Have a seat." He gestured at the empty chair then calmly watched her tumble into the seat.

She took off her red cap and red mittens and her messy dark hair tumbled out.

He locked his jaw and tucked his hands in his coat. They kept the interrogation rooms chilly to make the suspects squirm, but he felt hot under the collar. He was scared of how much he wanted her, but maybe she was here to discuss Rob. Or worse, end things with him.

"A bit cold in here?" Her voice sounded husky and, man, he was squirming, dying to get his hands on his woman. What would she say if he declared he was quitting his job right now if she would have him back. He wondered if he could be good at farming or retail?

"Yeah, a bit." He waited for a beat, enjoying her nervous gestures. Interrogation rooms weren't fun and he kind of liked seeing her squirm. She was always so cute when flustered.

"How can I help you?" His voice was professional, ignoring the plainitive look in her eyes.

"Umm, I came to see you. Chloe told me you were helping Rob and I wanted to personally thank you. If me and my mother could help you in any way," she took a deep breath, then continued, "we would be happy to."

He felt like a giant bucket of ice was dumped on him. She was here for her brother. Of course.

But he could see she was worried, so he reached out his hand and patted her coat covered arm. "Don't worry, he is cooperating. So everything will be fine."

She jerked her arm away on contact and he thoughtfully tucked his hand back in his pocket, dread filling his throat.

She didn't say anything for the longest time, looking lost for words, so he ventured out. "How have you been, Suzy?"

He heard her sharp intake of breath. "Jake," her voice cracked with emotion, and before he knew it, he had moved across the table and pulled her into his arms.

She didn't cry, but she let him hold her and that was enough for now.

"I- I really missed you. Are you- still mad at me?"

Fuck this.

He pulled her tight and kissed her forehead and she sighed and circled his arms around him.

"Suze-"

"Oh Jake!" Her voice was muffled against his chest. "I was so stupid. Of course, I should have trusted you more. But I've been doing everything by myself for so long. I was so scared. I didn't want to lose my brother!"

"Yeah, I understand, but even if he had been let go, he would have to live a life on the run. This way, he comes clean and gets a real chance at a good life."

He heard her sniff and tightened his hold on her. His heart was thudding and he gulped. He wanted her, and she wanted him to do the impossible.

"I'll make a shit farmer. And a crappy retailer."

After a beat, she pulled away, looking at him confused. "What?"

He sighed, looking at her pleadingly. "I know you hate the fact that I am a cop, but I am really not cut out for any other job. I am pretty sure I will hate anything else and be bad at it. So Suze, I -"

Suzy burst out laughing and he looked at her incredulously. He was talking about quitting the force and she was laughing?

She rose on tiptoes and gave him a peck. "Jake, I love you! And I would hate it if you ever leave your job. You are a good person and a great cop."

Jake's mouth hurt from his wide grin. "You mean it? You love me?"

"Yes, that's what I came to tell you. I hope we can put this stupid disagreement-"

She couldn't complete her sentence because he was kissing her so hard, his heart thumping in his chest.

They pulled away and Suzy lightly punched him on his chest. "How dare you make me squirm! My heart was thumping so hard, I really thought you didn't want anything to do with me!"

He grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips for a quick kiss. "I didn't want to see so eager. And I haven't seen you for a month, so trust me, I am damn eager!"

Suzy laughed. "I can't believe you even said you will change your job! I definitely wasn't expecting that! And really, retail?"

"I'll work in your cafe if you want." Jake took her teasing good naturedly as he played with her perfect fingers. God, he was a pathetic, lovelorn fool but he had missed touching her!

"How about you just promise to come in for coffee? I could use a handsome cop in my cafe."

"Sounds like a sweet deal." He pulled her in, not caring they were in a police interrogation room. "God, I missed you, no more silly rules now that keep you away from me, alright?"

"Promise," Suzy breathed as he pulled her in for a quick kiss.

They pulled away when static crackled in the room. The sounds for "All I want for Christmas, is you" floated over the speaker.

Suzy smiled at Jake. "Seems like we have an audience, Sarge."

Jake tried to look stern but ruined the effect with his features being stuck in a goofy grin.

====

A/N : Sigh, only the Epilogue left where I will tie up all the lose threads. Do you think Shay and Frank will end up together?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 138 21
It only takes one person to make a change. Spencer has some tough decisions to make. Some will cost her a friend, a lover, even possibly her life...
86 2 9
Judy Harper is the deputy chief of the New York City Police Department. She is beautiful, intelligent and always ready to help those in need. However...
11.3K 268 41
"Aiden I love you." "I know sweetheart." Aiden Smith was trying to escape from a life full of danger and challenge, then Marco came along with an o...
84.7K 7.1K 58
Olivia Graham was twenty-two when she started a whirlwind romance with charismatic Jakob overseas. By age twenty-five, Liv was back home and checkin...