MELTING A FROZEN HEART

By serene_fictionist

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... More

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 9

1.9K 179 41
By serene_fictionist

RAELYNN

After cutting the call, I took a much needed breath to calm down.

There's been certain discrepancies between our financial plan and the cost estimates of Marino Constructions' finance team regarding the construction of the factory.

"I thought we've already dealt with it.", I muttered to myself, displeased.

I've informed my secretary, Mr. Brown, that I'd be coming in two hours, so I have enough time to attend the therapy session.

Walking to Dr. Nicholas's cabin, I looked at his assistant and walked in as he nodded at me.

As I opened the door and stepped in, Nicholas smiled at me in greeting and gestured to me to take my seat.

"Good afternoon.", I greeted politely.

I sat on the small elegant sofa, opposite to his armchair, a coffee table in between us.

"So, how has your week been?", he asked gently.

"Eventful, I guess.", I replied calmly.

"Anything interesting?", he asked.

"A lot.", I replied, pursing my lips, remembering everything.

The next few minutes passed by with me giving account of the incidents that took place in the past one week, including the comments Emily made and the way I had gone through a reminder of the past, and my reactions and perspectives about them.

Nicholas listened to me calmly, encouraging me to open up further.

After a long conversation about my progress, my relationship with people around me, especially Milan and the incident with Mr. Marino, though I had not exclusively mentioned his name, the traits of relapse that are subtly starting to resurface, he asked me the one question I wished he had forgotten.

"Did you contact Sarah?", he asked calmly.

I stiffened a little and turned my gaze away.

"Did you identify the root of all your anxiety, Raelynn?", he asked calmly.

I looked back at him, shaking my head slightly, having no answer.

"The need for acceptance.", he said firmly.

I clenched my jaw at his words.

"You, just like any other person, wish to be accepted.", he continued.

"I don't need anyone's acceptance.", I defended, frowning slightly.

"You do. More than you think you do. The only reason you're hesitant to reach out to your friend and refuse to accept the genuine friendship that Milan has been trying to offer is the fear of rejection.", he stated.

His words hit me hard, my palms involuntarily fisting, my gaze flickering away from him and my heart racing ever so slightly.

"You are afraid of people abandoning you after learning the truth of your past. You are afraid Sarah would cast you away once she finds the reason for your disappearance 10 years ago. You are scared Milan would be disgusted once he knows what you've been through. You want to be in the state of dilemma and hope rather than face the reality, which according to you would be extremely harsh.", he concluded, looking me straight in the eye.

"Stop speaking as if you know me. Just because I've been your patient since the past 3-", my defenses rose up rapidly, triggered, but he cut me off.

"Don't call yourself a patient, Raelynn. I am someone willing to help those who need to be heard and you're someone who courageously took a step forward seeking help. It upsets me when people who seek my help call themselves 'patients'.", he said firmly, his eyes conveying his displeasure.

I looked up at the ceiling, taking a deep breath to curb the anger that shot up abruptly.

"It's true I don't know you completely, but your friend does. She knows the true part of you that is being pushed back by the cautious side. Speaking to her is going to be a big step in your healing, Raelynn. You don't need to tell her everything, but just by mustering strength to meet her would make a difference you wouldn't be able to overlook.", he suggested, his voice mellowing down to his usual gentle tone.

I looked at him blankly, not giving any answer.

"Let's take one step at a time. You told me she tried to contact you multiple times, but you never let her meet you. She sent you numerous emails, but you've ignored them too. So, today, I want you to open the latest email. Read what she wrote and decide if you want to give your friendship a chance.", he suggested.

The room was utterly quiet for a while, me not replying and him not pushing for an answer.

After contemplating his suggestion, I nodded slightly in response.

"Good luck, then.", he smiled, satisfied and proud.

I gave him a flat look and walked away after exchanging customary pleasantries.

Buying a cup of coffee in a nearby cafe to help with the throbbing headache, I started back to my office.

After I reached the office, my secretary, Mr. Brown, informed me of the changed cost estimates from the Marino Constructions.

I looked into them and tensed a little.

The budget is tight on the construction of the new factory and I couldn't just squander money recklessly.

"There are a few things to sort with them about this estimates, Mr. Brown. Did the finance team check these files?", I asked calmly, looking at Mr. Brown.

"Yes, mam. They've received these the previous evening. They have a few doubts and contradictions to present.", he replied.

"Set us up with a meeting with Marino Corp, Mr. Brown, as soon as possible. We can't delay the construction any further. Also, inform the finance team to meet me immediately with their work.", I instructed firmly.

"Yes, mam.", he nodded and walked out.

Soon, I was indulged in a hectic meeting.

After 2 hours, Mr. Brown rushed to me.

"Mam, if it's fine with us, they have proposed a meeting at 7 today.", he informed me.

I instructed him to accept the proposed time and along with the team, we prepared for the meeting.

After a few hours, we set off to the head office of Marino Corp for the meeting.

As we entered through the gates of the humongous campus of their head office, I was once again impressed at the design and the magnanimity of it.

It was one of the world's largest and expanded over a radius of a few thousands of acres.

This is not the first time I've come here, but every time I drive past those gates, I am awestruck.

Had I not started a company of my own, I would've loved to work in a place like this.

I shook my head at my own thoughts.

Soon, we were being escorted to the meeting room by their delegates.

As we were going to the meeting room, I excused myself to the washroom to pop in a pill to reduce the severely throbbing pain in my head.

The repercussions of not sleeping properly!

As I was walking towards the washroom, my vision slightly flickered to dizziness and I halted in my tracks.

"Sh*t!", I murmured.

To avoid an unnecessary scene by sitting in the corridor, I rushed towards the washrooms and walked in hurriedly as a door came to sight.

As soon as I stepped in, there were a series of washbasins and an additional door that might lead to the stalls.

I walked to the washbasins and leaned against it for support.

Rummaging through the purse in my hand, I popped open a pill for headache and swallowed it dry.

To wash the dizziness away, I turned the tap on and splashed some water on my face.

Feeling slightly better, I pulled some tissues out of the stack beside the basin and started wiping my face.

At that moment, the door that probably leads to the multiple bathroom stalls, opened, startling me.

I looked through the mirror and froze when I saw a teenage boy walking out and another one, looking exactly the same, following behind him.

Frowning, I faced them angrily.

"What are you doing here?", I questioned sternly.

What the hell are they doing!

"Wh-", I cut them off in bewilderment.

"What do you think you're doing in the women's washroom?", I asked, slightly raising my voice.

They looked .......... shocked?

"Answer me!", I probed firmly.

"Ms., you -", one of them was saying, but the other one cut him off.

"Having fun.", the other one said, smirking nonchalantly.

"Ash, what-", his twin was saying, but the smirking one turned to him and both of them shared a look and I was unable to see as one of them was turning opposite to me.

"Stop looking at each other. How dare you walk into a women's washroom!", I said coldly, clenching my jaw.

I noticed them stiffen a little at my tone, but the smirking one looked back at me nonchalantly again.

Not intending to listen to their nonsense, I picked my mobile and dialed my secretary to instruct him to complain to the security, but before the call could connect, the smirking kid walked to me abruptly and before I could comprehend his movement, he snatched my mobile.

"What-", he cut me off, taking a step away from me.

"You're the one who's going to be embarrassed if you call anyone here, lady.", he said lazily.

That statement triggered me involuntarily.

So, he's going to take advantage of the fact that people blame victims more than the culprits?

The audacity!

"You think I'm someone who'll stay quiet against perverts, fearing my reputation getting tarnished? You are trying to intimidate the wrong person, boy.", I retorted, my tone extremely condescending.

"What -", he started, but his twin cut him off.

"Enough, Ash, it's not funny.", he said seriously and this kid, called 'Ash', rolled his eyes.

"Mam, you've mistaken. This is the men's washroom.", the serious kid said, looking at me.

I frowned at his words, confused, and a moment later, my eyes slightly widened.

I walked to the exit door briskly and stepped out. Turning around, I looked up at the symbol on the top of the door frame.

Cr*p!

It's the men's washroom!

I looked at the door to the left of it and that was the women's washroom.

How could I make such a mistake!

Just how?

The twins walked out and I stepped back to give them space.

I looked at them and felt embarrassment creep in at the smirking face of one of them.

Clearing my throat, I maintained my usual stoic, masking my embarrassment.

"Give my mobile back.", I said calmly.

He handed it to me nonchalantly.

"I apologize.", I said politely.

Not waiting for a reply, I turned around and started walking away.

Way to embarrass yourself, Raelynn!

I heard footsteps behind me, but tried to ignore them, and continued walking.

"Ace, we should not stay quiet against perverts, we should complain to the security.", I heard one of them, probably 'Ash', say loudly, his tone evidently lacing with hints of mock.

I paused and turned around.

"I apologized already.", I said seriously.

"But we cannot let this go. We cannot put the safety and dignity of men at stake.", he said, pretending to be serious, his eyes swirling with mischief.

Teenagers!

Relax, Raelynn, they're just trying to pester you.

Relax.

I opened my mouth to retort, but a familiar deep voice cut me off calmly.

"What's going on here?"

**********************************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

The twins met Rae in the most embarrassing situation! 😂

The next chapter is going to set up a big step in their lives. 😊

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Do follow me on Insta with the same ID.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190K 3.4K 59
( Finished 🎉 ) ( Age gap ) Jasmine Ross is a 4 year old girl. She kind, sweet, gentle and beautiful, but dose not have a good childhood, she been ab...
80.6K 2.7K 64
You were transported into the UA world, developed your own quirk, joined class 1-A and know everything that's going to happen... well at least as far...
159K 2.6K 13
Annabelle was an orphan since she was born. When she turns 3 a group of 10 boys come and adopt her. She's shy but once she gets to know you she's a h...
827K 18.9K 30
a little girl who didn't know the difference between good and bad is swept into the world of chaos. Sofia Lawson, the little girl who lived with her...