The Eminence in Shadow: The D...

By Lighningtzzz

Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends... More

Chapter 1: When It All Started
Chapter 2: Pursuit of Shadows
Chapter 3: Clash of Blades and Revelation
Chapter 4: Kirito's Intervention
Chapter 5: Yukime's Resilience
Chapter 6: Mastering Magic and Unlocking Potential
Chapter 7: Whispers in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Undercover Charades
Chapter 9: An Interrupted Date
Chapter 10: Moonlit Pursuit
Chapter 11: Clash of Fates in the Underground Abyss
Chapter 12: Shadows Converge
Chapter 13: Shenanigans Around
Chapter 14: Market Mayhem
Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit
Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy
Chapter 17: The Mundane Masquerade
Chapter 19: Blades of Defiance
Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel
Chapter 21: Theatrical Intrigues and Daring Rescues
Chapter 22: Cleansing the Shadows
Chapter 23: The Powerful Convergence
Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets
Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments
Chapter 26: Veiled Prophecies
Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.
Chapter 28: Secrets and Strife
Chapter 29: Kirito's Unexpected Duel
Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger
Chapter 31: The Academy's Incident
Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve
Chapter 33: Kirito, Shadow And The Mysterious Clock Tower
Chapter 34: Decisions and Departures
Chapter 35: A Day With A Princess
Chapter 36: Ticking Time of Misfortunes
Chapter 37: The Knight and the Enigmatic Spirit
Chapter 38: Kurumi Versus Kirito
Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow
Chapter 40: Kirito, Aurora and Cid's Odyssey
Chapter 41: Chains of Aurora's Past
Chapter 42: Confrontation In The Holy Ground

Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade

1.1K 51 48
By Lighningtzzz

Kirito sat on a park bench near the academy, savoring his breakfast as the morning sun filtered through the trees. He sighed, admitting to himself, "Things haven't really progressed for me since joining the academy."

Taking another bite, he continued, "But, I guess they haven't gotten especially bad either. At least I still maintain my persona."

As he looked around the peaceful park, Kirito mused, "They just keep getting weirder and weirder, though."

Suddenly, Beta appeared next to him, gracefully writing in a book. 

She glanced at Kirito and asked, "What's weirder than a park breakfast, Kuroha-san?"

Kirito caught off guard, jumped in surprise, nearly spilling his breakfast. "Glitch!" he shouted, pointing at Beta.

Beta blinked and replied, "Glitch? Is that the latest lingo for meeting us of Shadow Garden?"

Kirito, regaining his composure, looked at her and said, "Beta, you can't just sneak up on people like that; it's not normal."

Beta, still writing in her book, chuckled back, "Normal is overrated, Kuroha-san. We live in the shadows, after all."

Rolling his eyes, Kirito sighed, "Can you spare the "wannabe-badass" quotes today? I'm just trying to enjoy my breakfast."

Beta smirked, "These aren't simple quotes; they're pieces of art crafted by my great Master."

Kirito raised an eyebrow, "Your great Master must have a weird sense of art, then."

Kirito attempted to enjoy his breakfast once more, deliberately ignoring Beta's presence. Beta, however, persisted, glancing over at Kirito with a mischievous smile.

Beta looked at him "So, Kuroha-san, how's your academic journey treating you?"

Kirito, with an unimpressed tone, replied, "Oh, just perfect. Unwanted battles with seniors on day one, gaining attention I never asked for on the next, a bit of bullying here and there, and now I'm the center of ridiculous rumors. All topped off by the fact that I'm forced to be a boyf—"

He abruptly stopped as he noticed the book Beta was writing in. Kirito squinted at the pages, realization dawning on him.

Kirito squinted at Beta's book, then looked at her with a deadpan expression. "Is that... Romeo and Juliet?"

Beta, surprised, grinned, "Oh, Kuroha-san, you have a good eye! But you'll have to wait until I finish it. It's a masterpiece in the making."

Kirito smirked, "No need to worry, Beta. I've already read it."

Beta chuckled, teasingly remarking, "Oh, Kuroha-san, did you read a different book with the same name?"

Kirito, deadpan, replied, "No, Beta, I'm pretty sure it was the classic Shakespearean tragedy."

Beta laughed, "Shakespeare? How quaint. My Master's version involves epic sword fights and hidden dungeons."

Kirito, eyes wide, exclaimed, "Sword fights and dungeons in Romeo and Juliet? What the...?"

Beta, smirking, confidently replied, "Oh, Kuroha-san, only my Master knows this unique rendition."

Kirito, with a sly grin, retorted, "Well, Beta, you see, the original story involves a tragic love affair, feuding families, and a whole lot of drama. No dungeons, no epic sword fights."

Beta, now intrigued, challenged him, "Are you sure about that, Kuroha-san? My Master's version is far more thrilling."

Undeterred, Kirito launched into a lively retelling of the Shakespearean classic, complete with star-crossed lovers, poison, and a dramatic double suicide. Beta listened, growing increasingly bewildered.

As Kirito reached the tragic climax, he concluded with a dramatic flourish, "So, that's the real Romeo and Juliet. No dungeons, no sword fights, just a whole lot of tragedy."

Beta, stunned, stammered, "But... but my Master said..."

Kirito, feeling a twinge of guilt, looked at Beta and said, "Well, maybe your Master is just a prankster or a fantastic liar."

Beta, not willing to let Cid's name be tarnished, narrowed her eyes and retorted, "My Master is a genius storyteller, Kuroha-san. You just don't appreciate the art."

Undeterred, Kirito decided to play along and said, "Sure, Beta. I bet your Master's next masterpiece involves Little Red Riding Hood fighting dragons."

Beta, unfazed, smirked, "Actually, that's absolutely right. But let's focus on the classics, shall we?" She then pulled out a stack of classic tale books.

Kirito, undeterred, started naming the books one by one, "Ah, I see you've got 'Snow White' by Brothers Grimm, 'Alice in Wonderland' by Lewis Carroll, and 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker. Solid choices."

Kirito, with an air of mischief, continued naming the classic tales in Beta's stack

Beta, sinking to her knees dramatically, exclaimed, "No, no, this can't be! My Master's stories are supposed to be unique, not borrowed from the classics!"

Kirito, suppressing a grin, played along, "Beta, it seems your Master might have a penchant for borrowing ideas."

Beta, on the verge of tears, declared,

"But my Master is a literary genius! This can't be true!"

In a fit of resolve, Beta stood up, clenched her fists, and shouted to the heavens, "I'll prove it! I'll prove my Master's innocence, no matter how many classic tales I have to endure!"

Later on...
Kirito strolled through the academy, masterfully dodging Beta's and other girls' usual surprise appearances. He muttered to himself, "Maybe today I can escape the drama."

Just as he thought he was in the clear, a voice rang out, "Darling!" Kirito sighed, realizing his hopes for a drama-free day were fading fast.

Turning around, he spotted a girl approaching with enthusiasm. "There goes my attempt for a peaceful day," Kirito mumbled under his breath.

The girl caught up and cheerfully exclaimed, "Good morning, darling!" It was none other than Alexia, wearing a smile that could rival the morning sun.

Alexia, unable to contain her excitement, practically lunged at Kirito, wrapping her arms around his arm.

Kirito winced slightly, managing a forced smile. "Uh, good morning, Princess," he said through gritted teeth.

Seemingly oblivious to Kirito's discomfort, Alexia tightened her grip on his arm. Suddenly, she expertly maneuvered her foot to land on Kirito's, a sweet smile on her face. "Isn't it a lovely day, my dearest?" she said, the sweetness of her tone in stark contrast to the pressure on his foot.

Kirito, trying not to grimace, replied, "Absolutely, my radiant flower." He attempted to reciprocate the sweetness, but his forced grin hinted at the struggle.

Kirito let out a sigh, deciding to roll with the absurdity of the situation. "Well, my dear Alexia, shall we grace the academy with the spectacle of our lovely stroll together?"

Alexia nodded enthusiastically, still tightly hugging Kirito's arm. They began their "romantic" walk, Kirito trying not to stumble under the weight of unexpected affection.

As they meandered through the academy grounds, other students couldn't help but stare and whisper. One student muttered, "Is that the "Ice Queen", Alexia Midgar? And who's the poor soul she's clinging to?"

Another student chimed in, "I heard he's Kirito Kuroha, the guy who melted her icy heart. Quite the feat, isn't it?"

Kirito, increasingly bothered by the attention and whispers, mumbled to Alexia, "My dear, I think we need to go somewhere more... private."

Alexia, still reveling in the spotlight, beamed and asked, "Oh, darling, are you planning a surprise for me?"

Kirito, trying to keep a straight face, replied, "Uh, yes, exactly. A surprise... just for you."

As they walked away, the whispers among the students intensified. One exclaimed, "Wait, are they sneaking off for some secret rendezvous?"

Another added with a mischievous tone, "I heard Kirito is the bad boy type."

Kirito, catching wind of the gossip, blushed furiously. "What? No, that's not—"

Before he could finish, Alexia, catching on to the rumors, giggled and said, "Oh, darling, they think we're up to something naughty!"

Kirito, desperately trying to defuse the situation, whispered, "Alexia, they're getting the wrong idea. Let's just... go."

As they hurried away, the students exchanged surprised glances.

Kirito, finding a secluded spot, took a deep breath, muttering to himself, "How long are we going to keep up this charade?"

Just as he began to contemplate his options, Alexia appeared with a smirk, saying, "As long as I find it necessary, darling."

Kirito, frustrated, retorted, "This is getting out of hand, and it's only day one."

Alexia, with a mischievous glint in her eye, mused, "Oh, but Kuroha-san, I find it rather intriguing. Don't you enjoy having a charming girl like me by your side?"

Kirito, summoning his resolve, replied with a manly tone, "There's a difference between enjoying the company and being the center of a public spectacle. Let's find a middle ground, shall we?"

Alexia, maintaining her smirk, remarked, "Well, Kuroha-san, as long as you keep your promises, I might consider toning down the theatrics."

She then continued, "Speaking of cooperation, I took the liberty of signing you up for the same class of Royal Bushin fencing as me."

Kirito, visibly shocked, exclaimed, "You did what?"

Alexia, unfazed, replied, "Consider it a strategic move for our collaboration. We'll both study in Section One from now on."

Kirito let out a sigh again, resigned to the situation. As Alexia began to walk away, he impulsively caught her hand, surprising her.

"I don't know what game you're playing, Alexia, but if you need help, you can just ask. I'm not after money or fame; there are other ways to solve your problems," Kirito said, his tone genuine.

Alexia, caught off guard by Kirito's sincerity, looked into his eyes. His words echoed in her mind, and a subtle blush crept onto her cheeks.

Then regaining her composure, she gently removed her hand from Kirito's grasp. "I need no one's help, Kuroha-san," she declared with a hint of pride.

She walked away, leaving Kirito standing alone, contemplating the peculiar encounter. After a moment, he sighed and decided to continue with his day.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Kirito, Alexia found a secluded spot behind a wall. Still blushing and holding the hand Kirito had touched, she whispered to herself, "Dummy."

Natsume Kafka:
Beta harbors resentment toward Kirito only due to his habit of lecturing her about her literature choices whenever the opportunity arises.

Not-so-Strong Syndrome:
Alexia initially saw Kirito as suffering from "Humble Expert," perceiving him as someone who flaunts his swordsmanship while pretending to be a modest weakling. This led to her disliking him (akin to Cid's syndrome) until she discovered a more genuine side during their unexpected collaboration.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 5.9K 38
While Claire Kagenou works among the Crimson Order, The Shadow Monarch, Kagari Kagenou watches and over their idiot little brother Cid Kagenou and hi...
136K 5.5K 70
All it took was a plane crash, and Kise Ryota was no more. Strangely enough, he didn't feel sadness, only regret. Regret for not checking his engine...
68.5K 1K 24
"Have you ever truly experienced the feeling of losing your sense of reality?" These words echoed mysteriously in Kirigaya Kazuto's mind one day. Lit...
5.1K 133 46
This has no connection with "Ramatsu User (2019)" This is the Re-Imagining of "Ramatsu User (2019)". Everything you read here, will be different. Tha...