The Villain is My no.1 Fan!?

By RowanLaneStories

25 years after Houston was destroyed in a brutal supervillain attack, Jay Martin is accepted into the Texan H... More

Authors Note
Not Everyone Can be a Hero
Nobody Listens to Sidekicks
Superhero Kids Don't Make Sense
Even Villains Drink Coffee
Not All Heroes Have Superpowers
Supervillains Can Be Rehabilitated
Sometimes Villains Need Saving
Heroes are a Diverse Lot
A lot of Villains are Gay
Anyone Can be Heroic
Heroes Have to Work Holidays
Common Sense isn't Common
Tragedy follows Supers
Villains aren't Exempt Either
Heroes Have Fears Too
Villains Always Kidnap Damsels
Some Supers are Parents
Supers are Fabulous
There are Tiers to Villainy
Heroes Always Win
Sometimes Heroes Become Villains
Villains Have Lairs
Villains Like Scheming
Villains are Predictable
Supers Wear Stupid Outfits
Happy New Year!
Heroes Rebrand Often
Villains Fight Villains
Supers go on Dates
Heroes Get Healthcare
The Multiverse is Convoluted
Villains are Insane
Heroes Need Training
Heroes Can Be Dangerous
Supers get Hurt
Villain's Need Rest
Heroes Need to be Cautious
Cities With Superheroes Aren't Safer
Superheroes Wake Up Early
Villains are Made, Not Born
Villains Do Horrible Things
Heroes Don't Need Therapy
Villains Never Win

Heroes are Celebrities

176 7 10
By RowanLaneStories

This is actually a fact that Jay had forgotten for the longest time. It didn't apply to him as a hero who was so under the radar that the Network photoshopped him out of promotional material—or at least it didn't before.

"I really don't want to do this," He groans, looking down at his phone. He's still buckled into his seat, forehead against the steering wheel.

"Do you want me to come get you?" Gannet asks.

"No. I just—I'm worried about what I'm going to say. I wish the Network wasn't making me do this."

Jay sighs. He glances out of the window at the news station. It looms ominously, causing his stomach to flip uncomfortably.

The cheerful voice of Gannet interrupts his thoughts. "It's just an interview. I doubt they're going to ask you anything too hard, they're just trying to latch onto anything that will distract from the Massasauga controversy. Plus, if anything happens, you'll know I'll be there."

"I know. You know I'm so grateful for you, right?"

Gannet giggles. "Yes."

"Are we...okay? After what happened with Pixamena?"

"You mean because you knew Pixamena was Faye, and you didn't tell me?"

Jay winces. "Yeah. We had that entire conversation about being honest, and I didn't say anything."

"It would've been nice to know. But you didn't tell me because you were trying to protect her, right? I still care about her...so I appreciate you doing that."

Jay breathes a sigh of relief. "That's good to hear. She's been through a lot lately."

"I'm so proud of her, I never thought she could do such amazing things..." Gannet pauses. "She hates me now, Jay."

"No, she doesn't. She's just scared."

"She—she must think I was trying to get intel about her through you. She probably doesn't even think I'm human anymore."

"Look, she's definitely mad, but it's too early to give up. She cares a lot about you. Remember when she pulled me out of my apartment? That was her scolding me, telling me I needed to stop leading on my fan."

"Really? She got angry with you?"

"Yeah, she did. She was worried about me hurting you. Just give her some time and, ah, don't antagonize her if you have to fight her."

"Okay."

"I have to go now. Can you get somewhere nearby just in case things go south?"

"I'm watching you already."

Jay pauses. He looks out the window, trying to spot Gannet. There're throngs of fans outside the news station studio, but Jay can't find him.

"Where are you? I don't see you."

"Don't worry about it. I see you."

Jay snorts. "Okay, creeper. Bye."

"Love you!" Gannet sing-songs, ending the call.

Jay steps out from the safety of the van, gritting his teeth at the clamor. He feels a little stupid thinking this is what he wanted; the crush of fans, cameras, and sound is almost unbearable. He rushes into the studio, and is greeted by the sight of Scoops chugging a sparkling water. He sets the drink down, grinning.

"Witty! Welcome! I'm glad to see you again, buddy!"

"Hey Scoops. Um, glad to be here."

"You don't have to lie. I can smell the reluctance from here."

"Yeah well, you know me. I'm not made for television."

Scoops laughs as he hands Jay a clip-on microphone. "Nonsense. We'll get it over with quickly, make the Network happy, and get you back on the streets chasing down Stygian. You'll do great."

"Yeah," Jay coughs, putting the mic on.

He grabs a cup of coffee from the refreshment table and follows Scoops to the set. His heart thuds in his chest as he sits before the cameras, clutching his cup tightly in his hands. The tacky space just puts him more on edge. The neutral colors and basic-ass furniture makes him long for the dark calmness of Gannet's apartment.

"We are live in three, two, one!" a camera tech calls out.

"Well heeello, Neo Houston! It's another bright, beautiful morning, and boy, does Scoops have a Scoop for you! Witty! My man! Welcome to SuperNewsDaily!"

"Hi Scoops..."

"Viewers, If you don't know this accomplished and hardworking hero, this is Quickwit. Witty, why don't you tell us about yourself?"

"Ah, uh, there's not much to say, really."

"Nonsense, why don't you tell us a little about how you became a hero?"

"Well, I've been working as a hero ever since I realized I had powers. I was rejected by the junior hero program so I acted as a vigilante until I was accepted into the Lonestar University of Heroics in 2046 and—"

"L.U.H represent!"

"Ah, yeah. Represent," Jay croaks, "um. after I graduated, I came to Houston and joined the Network's sidekick program."

"And how lucky we are to have you, Quickwit! Houston sure has taken notice of you."

Jay rubs his neck nervously. "Yeah, though I wish it was under better circumstances. I honestly didn't expect so many people to, uh, care, about what happened to me."

Scoops nods solemnly. "Yes. Viewers, if you weren't already aware, Class-A menace Stygian has been revealed to be none other than a citizen named Gannet Faulkner. He had been living among us, pretending to be a normal citizen as he plotted out his evil schemes! But not only did he infiltrate our city...but our heros' lives. Can you tell us a bit more about that Quickwit?"

"Yes. He approached me and said he was a fan. I guess I was just so grateful to have a supporter that I never even thought that he might be...lying."

"But you were much more than just fan and hero, right?"

Jay goes pink, blood rushing to his face. Does he really have to say this on live tv? "Uh, we were very close. Before I figured out he was lying. I mean."

Scoops nods before his hand goes to his earpiece. He frowns for a moment before returning to his fake plastered-on grin. "I think it's time to get down to the truth!"

Jay's heart drops as Scoops holds up his golden microphone. "Quickwit, what was the nature of your previous relationship with Gannet Faulkner?"

The truth is pulled up from the pit of his stomach. Jay can feel his face go up in flames as he spills his guts. "He made me feel appreciated, cared about, and important. I fell completely in love."

An edge of discomfort enters Scoop's eyes. "Ah, I see. It must've hurt you to learn it was all a lie."

Jay wrangles with his mind, attempting to choose the words he knows won't jeopardize their mission. "When I discovered he was a villain I dedicated myself to bringing him to justice."

Internally, Jay cheers. That technically was the truth, even if he didn't stick with that plan...

Finally, Scoops pulls the microphone back. "Very brave of you, Quickwit!"

Jay has to swallow down an acidic retort brewing in his stomach. Why the fuck would they use the microphone on him? Did they suspect something of Jay?

"Thank you, Scoops," he croaks.

"Moving on...I have some news to share with Neo Houston."

Scoops' face goes grim as he faces the camera fully. "Our scientists at Netscie have been hard at work analyzing the latest attack by Stygian, the results of which are extremely disturbing. We have been told that the capability to encase the entire Galleria Mall in such a short amount of time is not the feat of an A-Class super. We are being told that it has been determined that Stygian is an S-Class."

Jay's stomach drops, his hands going clammy. Shit.

"I know this is a frightening discovery, but measures are being put in place as we speak. To challenge this overwhelming threat to our city, the Network is assembling an elite team of heroes. Houston, I am pleased to announce the formation of the Dawnbreakers!"

Behind Jay, a screen rolls down. On it, several heroes appear in dramatic poses; Pixamena, Zenith, Scoops, Delta, him, and...Alphaman. Jay's heart freezes as he studies the image of the armored super. Even just on a screen, he's imposing—copper metal covers him from head to toe, obscuring his face completely, and from his helmet two small horns poke out. This isn't a super like Massasauga, who grandstands and makes a fool of himself, this is an S-Class super. A super who could level Houston if he wanted to. The very one who had battled Calamity 25 years ago and won.

If Alphaman found Jay out...he was dead. Completely dead, vaporized, maybe.

"Is this real?" He croaks.

"It is! How are you liking your surprise, Witty? Congratulations, you're in the big leagues now!"

"I never would've thought it possible."

"Well, you've done it, Quickwit! Both of us will take solemn vows that as the valiant protectors of the city we will—"

Suddenly, the lights shudder and tremble with a kaleidoscope of magenta, yellow, and cyan. Everything goes pitch black and Jay believes for a second it's Stygian's dark shadows. But as the screen flickers on he's greeted by the true culprit; Echo.

"H-h-hello Houston. It's been awhile."

"Dastardly villain! You're broadcasting to Network airwaves!" Scoops barks.

"Oh, I know Scoops. I know it very well. I needed to do so if I wanted to achieve our goals."

Echo leans back away the camera, revealing a woman tied to a chair. Jay instantly recognizes her as a reporter for SuperNewsDaily. She whimpers as Frame holds her face forward.

"Anais!?" Scoops yelps. 

"That's right, Scoops. Your favorite employee is in our clutches. And if the Network doesn't comply in answering my questions, we will make sure SuperNewsDaily will be down a weather girl."

"What do you want?"

The screen goes black before shifting to a glitchy scene of Techtra's ship.

Techtra's static-filled voice filters in through the speakers. "We have a common link, Stygian–gian–gian. Perhaps you don't remember your days as a participant of Project Chimera, but I was one of many who was assigned to monitor and learn from you—you—you"

A crash of metal can be heard, the camera footage going fuzzy for a moment. When it returns, it's trained on Stygian's expression of distraught rage.

"Participant?! if you actually knew anything about that project you would not—not—not be calling me a participant!"

The scene cuts away, returning to Echo's face. "What is Project Chimera? We demand answers."

"Are you seriously putting an innocent woman's life at stake over the ramblings of an insane man!?" Scoops says.

"You could never understand the torment, the pain, the disfiguring experiments we endured! We demand answers! Was Stygian like us? What has the Network done!?" Echo roars.

"You're insane! Let her go!"

Anais cries out in pain as Frame grips her arm hard.

"Not until we get what we want. If the Network doesn't upload the details of their misdeeds we will make them pay."

Jay's heart thunders. There's no way the Network will ever give up that information willingly, they'd rather let an innocent woman die. He looks about the room wildly, thinking fast. Above him, he spots something that gives him pause; a security camera.

Making sure his phone's screen is pointing at the camera, he unlocks it and opens his chat log with Gannet. He types quickly, nerves wracked.

Jay: You don't need to do this. We'll tell you anything we know about Project Chimera.

Gannet: wut?

Gannet: Jay, do u want me to come get you?

Echo: Well this is an interesting development.

Gannet: AHHHH 🙃🙃🙃

On screen, Echo tilts her head questioningly.

Echo: This is a trap, isn't it?

Gannet: KAY SHES IN MY PHONE

Gannet: Jay*

Gannet: WHAT DO I DOOOO

Jay: Look, just let the weather girl go, okay?

Jay: It's not a trap

Gannet: u didn't tell me we were doing this >:(

Echo: why should I trust you?

Jay: We want to know about Project Chimera as much as you.

Jay: We need to know what the Network's intent for Stygian is.

Gannet: WHAT IS HAPPENINH

Jay: Gannet, it wasn't planned. Just roll with it.

Echo: Are you still in possession of the Astronotech property?

Jay: Yes.

Gannet: ye

Jay: Let the weather girl go and we'll give you unrestricted access.

Echo: Are you inviting me into the Alliance?

Jay: Yes. We can help you.

On the screen, Echo's face shifts into an angry ">:)" smile.

"We will surrender our hostage this time as a show of goodwill, but not before we release all we know of Project Chimera to the public. The lies must end! The Network—"

Before she has a chance to finish, there's a tremendous crash and the sound of a roof being ripped out from its seams.

Frame screams as from the sky, a hero lands with concussive force, knocking both Echo and Frame to the ground. The dust clears, revealing the culprit: Alphaman stands there tensely, expression unreadable from behind his helmet.

Immediately, Echo raises her hands in surrender. "We give up! Please don't—"

Without hesitation, Alphaman raises a hand. A blade of red-tinged shadow shoots forward. It brutally slams into Echo, shoving her into a wall with a sound of breaking glass and concrete.

Frame screams, lunging forward, but is soon also apprehended by Alphaman's shadows. He turns away as calmly, approaching the camera. The screen goes dark as he points it down at the desk, only the sounds of struggle echoing through the studio now.

Jay can only clench his thighs, watching the blank screen with a dry mouth.

A moment later the screen returns to Alphaman's uncanny helmet-obscured face. In the background, Frame and Echo lay on the ground limp. Poor Anais is still bound in her chair, a haunted look in her eyes.

"The targets have been neutralized," Alphaman growls, voice muffled.

"A—Amazing job! Houston is safe once again thanks to you!" Scoops warbles nervously.

Jay notices that Scoops puts the microphone down before saying that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

308K 4.1K 38
Daniella has been adored by her brothers her whole entire life, but growing up with her brothers and meeting a lot of their friends, she grows to dis...
774 60 19
A hero and a villain can't possibly be friends! Luckily for Fuse and Ryan, they're just sidekicks. With one on the side of Bandock's greatest hero...
737K 34.3K 85
Champion City, one of the greatest hotspots for superheroes and supervillains ever since thirty years ago, when super-powered individuals started to...
333K 28.2K 35
[THIS IS AN OLD DRAFT. Please read the rewrite that is currently up on my profile] ............ "Look, man, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to rob the...