If Found Please Destroy | A V...

By ixAshesxi

‼️|HIATUS|‼️Beginning at the age of sixteen, Dagomara has lived in a world with Vikings surrounding her. Deat... More

1.
2.
4.

3.

13 1 0
By ixAshesxi

"Hmm?"

Thors looked so confused. Not surprisingly. Why was I, the enemy, telling him to run?

"Take the boy and run," was all I could say before the sound of my brother screaming at the top of his lungs took over. "I—

"I am sorry to do this," Thors whispered as he lifted me up by the top of my dress and threw me over to the side of the boat. I fell on my right arm. It barely hurt, however. He did not punch me. Or kick me. Torgrim, Alti, and the other men were crying in pain or having their first lessons in swimming. But he did not hurt me.

Is he showing me mercy?

I looked over to see the man approaching my brother, completely calm, while Bjorn was attacking everyone else. Amanita muscaria gives you strength you thought you never had. But also puts you in a blind rage. You see anyone as your enemy.

Bjorn was already a powerful man. I remember the first time he tried one. He had found one in the woods and nearly killed every animal within them. At least we did not have to worry about going hungry.

"Berserker Mushrooms" were easy to make, so long as you had the right amount of kind of spore slurry... and a hell of a lot of patience.

Our mother did.

Thors stood there and watched as my brother kept beating his head into the ship. "He must have ate a berserker mushroom," Thors then looked at me. "Did you give him this?"

I laid there silently. I could not find a good answer for Thors. I did not have the ability to make my brother wake up or snap out of the trance. Doing that was unheard of.

"Forgive me," I cried before running out of the way. Running away from what was about to turn deadly.

"Failing to enjoy the show up close?" Askeladd asked.

I jumped onto the other ship, "Bjorn has no idea who he is attacking. He could kill me." I explained.

"Well, that's obvious," said Askeladd. "But I understand. Make them so he can hush, right?"

I looked at Askeladd in silence, then over to the other boats. The little blond boy was looking in shock. The sounds of Bjorn's roars scared me, but those were quickly silenced by a punch that sent him flying.

His right eye was swollen, and he got up once again, only to be put down for the second time. "He took down Bjorn... after he ate a berserker mushroom?"

Askeladd gave a chortle, "What they say about the Troll of Jom is true, then. This only makes me more happy to get the kill."

The men began rowing towards the other ships. All of them looking like bloodthirsty maniacs as the men with Thors looked horrified. They were young, some not even holding their weapons correctly. Even I could kill them all if I wanted to.

Bjorn's roar echoed through the air. I looked over and he only stood there in front of Thors. He's slowly beginning to snap out of it.

"Listen up," began Askeladd. "I want those fools taken alive. They are less valuable if they get beaten up too badly, so just be careful."

"Yes, Master." I whispered before helping the men lay the planks going from our ship to theirs. They all laughed and drawn their weapons before we heard a loud scream from the air. I shouted in fear as Bjorn crashed into the wooden walkways before falling in the water.

"Thors!" A man yelled as he flew onto the other side and drew his sword.

"Listen," Thors demanded. "You have already lost half of your forces so far. Leave now, and I will spare your lives!"

Askeladd's smile went from ear to ear. I know that smile. Satisfaction. He is enjoying this. Him losing some of the crew because their bones are broken and they cannot go on, or some of them have died from drowning? It matters not to him.
What Askeladd wants, he gets. Even if everyone on the boats were down, it was not enough to stop us.

Because we have archers.

All they need is a signal.

I helped some of the men lift Bjorn's body out of the water. His pupils were starting to show again.
I wish we could just leave. Go far away, where Floki would not find us after learning that we failed to kill the man. Unfortunately, if I made that suggestion, I would be laughed at. Not only would I be stupid for suggesting that because of the kill, but also because of the payment.
All of my companions are bloodthirsty and gold hungry... among other things.

Bjorn started groaning, "What happened?"

I sighed, "Lie down, brother." I looked over to Askeladd, and up again at the archers. "It will be handled without—

The sound of snoring only made me angry. I looked down at my brother, rolled my eyes, and stood back up. The men standing beside Thors tried their best to look like they were ready to fight us. It was only an act. In reality, the little blond boy looked more prepared than them. Why did they bring a little child here? He looks no more than five years of age. Six, maybe.

Thors began looking around until he met eyes with Askeladd and pointed his sword at him. "You must be the one in charge." The raven haired man spoke. "In the name of the almighty Odin, I challenge you to a duel."

I gasped. "W-What did he say?"

Our fellows were whispering among themselves. "Challenge Askeladd?", "A duel with the boss?", "Is this man insane?" Even Askeladd's facial expression changed. From a smirk to a questionable expression.

"If you win, you can have whatever you want." Thors continued. "If I win, you and your men withdraw immediately. If you choose to decline, then you will be losing at least three times as many men. Only to gain twelve slaves as your prize."

Askeladd and I met eyes, then we both looked down at my brother. He was still asleep, now silently. Askeladd took a breath, "Can I ask you a question? What makes you think that I am their leader?"

With a straight face, the Troll of Jom responds, "Your scent." I am sure he expected seriousness in return, but Askeladd laughed. "Very impressive. Alright, then I will accept the duel. Askeladd, son of Olaf, swears to you in the name of Odin."

Askeladd began walking away from the rest of us. While the rest of the men thought that Thors was the insane one here, I know that it was Askeladd. The Master would never turn down a duel, it is not like him.

But I also know him well enough to know that he has tricks up his sleeve. Askeladd would not win this duel at all. As strong as he is, he could not handle Bjorn the way Thors just handled him.

No. I doubt he even cares about who the victor is.

That is what made him insane.

Thors' men moved towards the bow of his ship, now without others in his way, Askeladd jumped over. I sat down to feel if my brother still had a heartbeat. He did. I have actually never seen him so calm during a slumber. Maybe I did make those berserker mushrooms too strong.

"Ay' Dagomara," Torgrim began. "How much do you and Bjorn want to bet on this?"

"Silence," I demanded. "The duel is about to begin."

Besides, I would never make a bet with scum of a man like you anyways, Torgrim. That would be something Bjorn would do.

Askeladd pulled out his sword and threw the scabbard away. "I, as well, could smell the same scent off of you. The same sort of scent as mine. Expected from the Troll of Jom."

"Floki sent you?" Thors questioned.

Askeladd laughed, "You are a sharp one, aren't you? It's a rare treat to meet a smart man."

The child ran in front of Thors and pointed at Askeladd. "My father is a better man than some dirty pirate like you!"

My eyes widened. "That child is his son?" I whispered.

"Thorfinn, stand back!" Thors ordered. His son only continued. "And he is really powerful, too! He can take out bad guys without even breaking a sweat! Do you understand?"

One of Thors' men tried swiping him away to no avail. I started to get cold. Askeladd was going to kill Thors in front of his son. I looked at him and he eventually met my gaze, only to smirk then look back at the enemies. "He's a chirpy little brat. Is he your son?"

"Askeladd, do you have a wife and children?" Thors questioned.

"No." Askeladd answered.

"Very well. Let's begin."

Thors knew what that meant. It meant Askeladd had nothing to lose. Not like him. It meant that he must win. He began walking towards Askeladd while the latter only stood there. No reaction on his face while Thors looked like he was ready to slay him in an instant. The gap between the two was only getting smaller.

Perfect for Askeladd.

The sail of the ship and the wood that carried it quickly fell down and he was able to slide underneath before it could crush him. The Master's speed made Thors loudly gasp. In the blink of an eye, the left side of his chest had been cut open. But that didn't stop him from attempting to knee Askeladd in the face. The cut was too shallow.

"You can do it, father!"

I blocked all other voices out of my head. I already knew what our comrades were saying. Having the high opinion that nobody could outmatch Askeladd. That he was too strong for the great warrior Thors. I still sat by my brother's side as he was resting, but I was focused on three different people. The Troll of Jom, Askeladd, and the little boy.

What he was about to witness is going to scar him for the rest of his life.

Thors sighed, "I am sorry, Askeladd. I cannot go back."

Askeladd snickered, "I am happy to hear that, Thors. Believe me."

That look again. Satisfaction. Which was quickly thrown away when Thors began charging at him. This was really a duel now. Thors was strictly offense, Askeladd the opposite. With a few extra strikes, he was jumping and or being thrown on all sides of the ship's hold.

I knew it, on strength alone, Askeladd had no chance. "This is not really looking good for Askeladd." One of the men announced.

I ignored the men conversing with each other. Half of them were now looking away, in fear of our leader dying and us possibly becoming slaves to Thors and his men. Even Torgrim stopped cheering. He was now whispering, begging for Askeladd to win.

The child began cheering on his father. There was joy, and hope in his eyes. He looked so proud to be the son of Thors. But all that went away. I turned my attention towards the duel again. Thors' blade was no longer there, and Askeladd has a gigantic smile. Once he felt the opportunity to swing wide, Thors punched him in the armpit, making him let go of his weapon. Thors then took it and pointed it Askeladd's neck. Then the joy on the son of Thors' face came back. All of his men began cheering while we all sat or stood in shock.

"Why are you waiting?" Askeladd asked. "You should kill me."

"There is no need to do that. Just say you surrender, and leave."

Thors saying that made me smile a bit. He was sparing Askeladd's life. Our lives.

"You do know that I am their leader. That is one thing that I can't say in front of my men." Askeladd explained. Everyone in each ship had nothing to say afterwards. Not even Thors.

"Do it already." Askeladd said. "This duel will never end unless one of us dies."

The sound of Bjorn's grunts stole my attention. "Brother." I whispered.

He sighed, "My head is still hurting." He said as he sat up and looked around. "Did I miss something?" He asked me.

Some of the men answered for me, "Askeladd lost.", "He really lost."

"He did not lose." I announced among the rest of us.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Atli asked. "Look right in front of you."

"Accept it." Thors ordered Askeladd. "I am the victor of this duel. Withdraw your troops now."

"You really are as strong as they say." Askeladd complimented. "In fact, you make one hell of an army general. But it makes me wonder, why would someone like you hide in Iceland for fifteen years? Sounds like a waste of time to me."

"Not at all." Thors replied. "The reason why I rely on something like this... it is because I am weak. One who is a great warrior does not need a sword."

Askeladd nodded before speaking again. "I need to ask you something. Do you want to become our leader, Thors?"

My eyes widened in shock and Bjorn jolted. "What the hell is he trying to do?" He asked.

"I have no clue." I answered.

There was a moment of silence, followed by our leader laughing. "Ah, I'm just kidding. Why is nobody laughing? That was supposed to be funny, you know?"

My brother started shaking. "This isn't the time to make light of all of this."

He stood up and I called out to him. "Especially with a straight face!" He yelled, ignoring me. Bjorn jumped onto the other ship and grabbed the boy by his hair. "Bjorn!" I screamed.

"All of you cowards stay back!" Bjorn demanded Thors' men as he put the child's dagger to his neck. "I could cut off his head in one slice! Lose the sword! Hurry the hell up!"

"Askeladd, you bastard!" Thors yelled.

"Bjorn, release the kid now!" I begged. I moved over to jump to the ship but I felt Torgrim's grip on my arms. "What are you doing!?"

"Unless you want to see a child's head cut off I suggest you stay right there, Dagomara!" Bjorn yelled without even looking at me.

I started to sob. I began to cry with the boy as he begged for his father. Askeladd cackled, "By Odin's beard, you are soft. You actually thought that I would play by the rules?"

Even I knew better and I still gasped. None of us could have known about the child tagging along. This was a last moment decision made by Bjorn. And our leader is all in favor of it. Of course we needed an advantage, but a child.

How could my brother do this?

"I just wanted to test your metal myself. Have a little fun. To see first hand what the Troll of Jom fuss was about. And it was fun, I will give you that much."

Thors swung at Askeladd with his sword, stopping at his neck again. It was now a kill for a kill. I struggled and struggled and it now took both Atli and Torgrim to handle me. No matter how much I begged, they did not care. I thought there was a way I could stop my brother from doing something this insane.

Even with my little calls to him, he still ignored me. That is only telling me that I need to stop believing that I can convince him. I sighed, then stopped struggling. The brothers loosened their grip on me.

"Askeladd. You have violated the rules of the duel. I am the rightful winner of this battle." Thors explained.

"The situation is what it is. I have only been after your head all along." Askeladd responded.

"I know." Thors said in a cold voice, before throwing Askeladd's sword overboard.

"I will accept. The winner of this duel—

Askeladd raised his right hand up to give the signal, and I lowered my head, knowing what was about to happen. "Thors, the Troll."

"Father!"

Did I even have to look? No. I could hear the sound of the arrows inserting into the body. I could hear every single gasp of every single man around me. I could hear the breath of Thors, as he shivered and held on to dear life.

"Askeladd." He called, "I have bested you in our duel. Do not go against your word as a warrior."

"I wouldn't dare." Askeladd replied. "In the name of Artorius, my ancestor. I will withdraw my men immediately."

"And Lief, I have a favor to ask of you. Please bring my head to Sigvaldi, the leader of the Jomsvikings. If they think I avoided the call of war and hid once more, the village could suffer for it."

"Even in death you think of others."

I looked up to see the now fallen warrior staring at my brother. "You, over there. I have given my life as agreed upon. So release my child this instant!"

Bjorn immediately dropped the young boy and he ran to his father's side. My brother finally looked at me. I had tears in my eyes, and he sighed then looked at his feet.

Guilt? Now of all times?

One of the young members of Thors' band charged at Askeladd and began swinging, which he dodged easily, followed by him punching the man in the face. "Dumb fucking brat, cherish your life from this day on. Be thankful that Thors fought for you. The death of a man like that is worth a hundred young fools."

He looked over at Thors' men. "Now then, just how many of you do we have to fight to get this spare ship?"

The man called Leif began, "Take it. There are not enough men for it anyway. We will go now."

Askeladd grabbed the little that was left of Thors' sword and threw it to the other ship.

Everyone began working, our men, their men. I held my head low as I heard Thors' men struggle to carry his body away, or trying to pick up the unconscious man, thanks to Askeladd. Some of our crew went over to tie one of our small boats to what is now our ship. Our archers all retreated. I gripped the handle of my blade so hard and I cared not for the pain of my fingernails digging into my hand.

The boat started to shake and Bjorn's grunt shook me out of my thoughts. I bothered not to look at him as he repeatedly called my name after he jumped over, or snapped his fingers in front of my face to get my full attention.

"Dagomar—

I interrupted, "Not a word, Bjorn. Not a fucking word."

Despite trying to still engage in conversation, I did the same thing he did. Jumped onto the other boat he was on, having me believe he was about to kill a child. Thors' body was finally carried away. I sat down while a group of men joined over to row us away from this place. Askeladd's eyes and mine met, before he sat down to join me. His armor was partially covered with blood.
Somehow I had blood splatter on me too.

I could feel him staring at me. He had no words. Or maybe he knew I would explode if he said something to me.

"Sundown is coming soon," I began. "I would like to rest, Master Askeladd."

Silence as his gaze turned away. And then...

"Fine by me."

I closed my eyes. Atli thought what I said was idiotic. But I was right. Yes, Askeladd did lose the duel.

But we won the battle. We completed the mission.

~

By the time I woke up it was almost pitch black dark. Askeladd was awake. Spilled wine in between us and I could hear some of the men talking about Thors still. How his men abandoned this ship. That was not the case at all. We stole it.

They gave it to us, and if they said no to us—

"Don't think about it too much." Askeladd said.

"I'm sorry?"

Askeladd grabbed his wine horn and studied it. "It is what it is, Dagomara. We just had to kill a true warrior today. As much as you hate it, you may have to kill one yourself, among many other men. You have probably done it already. Whether it be for good, bad, to protect your family, to get some food, or some jewels if you're feeling greedy, you are going to do it."

I sighed and looked up at the moon. "Master, I—

"Askeladd! Hey! You should come see this!" Torgrim called.

He groaned.

"Askeladd!" Torgrim yelled even louder.

Askeladd rose. "I'm coming. Just keep it down, would ya?"

I followed him because of the bad feeling I had in my stomach. I was right to feel that way. The son of Thors was staring right at us, with a small blade in his hand.

"Thors' kid came along." Torgrim pointed out. "Must have been hiding at the bottom of the ship."

"Look at that." Atli added on in a mocking voice. "He's got himself a grown up dagger. Oh no! What do we do?"

Everyone began to laugh. Everyone except Askeladd and I. This was not something to laugh about. It is sad how we were the only two to recognize that.

The boy's screams echoed through the air. His threats of killing us, promises to us that he will be the last thing we would all see, it shook me.

"He is only a little boy." Atli spoke. "But just look at those eyes."

"What should we do, Askeladd?" Torgrim asked. "Toss him overboard?"

"Just leave him." Askeladd ordered before returning to his spot. "He'll die soon anyway."

The rest of us turned around to follow. "Finished laughing at him now, hmm?" I asked the rest of the men.

They all turned again to me. My focus was on Atli though. "We are all responsible for the death of his father. He looked right at you after you poked fun at him for grieving. You know, Atli, I would not be surprised if you were the first one to go by his hand. Or upset."

I walked through the crowd of men, and stopped once I saw my brother again. He was standing with his arms folded and looking down at me.

"Do not ever threaten me like that again. Ever!" I angrily said before walking away back to Askeladd.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132 0 18
This takes place in the world of @babyxpyscho book "The Ivy Witch" but it's Natalie's POV.
772K 19.4K 113
MATURE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE OR TOO YOUNG Sequel to Addicted. I'll fill this part out later bc as usual, I just don't know yet. Hope you e...
59K 2.4K 22
After battling the Dark Elves with Thor, to continue his punishment, Odin has Loki thrown back into his cell with his lips seen shut and special glov...
2K 131 23
Thorfinn was an orphan that dreamed. He had ambitions and thoughts of greatness. He didn't know his father but he remembered his mother and she would...