When You Know

By OllyVase

"For the first, and only time in his life, Harry wished he could trade places." Navigating distance wasn't a... More

1. Lean On
2. Sunflower
3. Red Camp
4. Drinking with Strangers
5. It would be so easy
6. Onwards and Upwards
7. Thank god for photographs
8. Best laid plans
9. November 28th
10. Stay then.
11. Missed opportunities
12. Blades of Glory
13. Finally
14. The girl in the kitchen
15. Three Weeks
16. Eight days
17. Bedroom Stars
18. One day
19. Day One
20. Vegas
21. Yes. Definitely.
22. Vinny
23. A vibe
24. Monotony
25. Wonderwall
26. Girlfriends
27. It's out
28. Full Circle
29. One missed call
30. Little Wategos Beach
31. Polystyrene boxes
32. Good People
33. Fine
34. The devil's right there in the details
35. Erie
36. Home
37. She's Electric
38. Why am I the one
39. Price we Pay
40. Emergencies Only
41. Clear Path
42. Our Place
43. Getting Better
44. What happened in Vegas
45. Sorry
46. Friends
47. Moving on
48. Flight Case
49. Somebody Ask
50. Starry Night Over the Rhône
51. What Ifs & Maybes
52. Easy For Me
53. Infinity
54. Brick by brick
55. Do I Wanna Know?
56. Worth it
57. Cancel on Cancelling
58. Conspiracies
59. right where you left me
61. R U Mine?
62. What it's like to be famous
63. Three videos and a photo
64. It's you, by the way
65. When You Know

60. Not Nineteen Forever

59 2 0
By OllyVase

Vinny rolled onto his side, surprised to find a body in his bed with him. It wasn't the fact they were there that was surprising, but more the fact they still were. Opening his eyes slowly, he tested the waters, trying to determine whether the girl was still awake or not. Sleeping, but only just. She had the distinctive frown that she always held on her face about five minutes before she was due to wake up, even worse when her hair fell over her face in her sleep like it had done now.

Emily was still wearing his t-shirt, though the collar of it had pulled over her collar bone, stretching it out even further than it already had been. Vinny knew that if he moved so much as an inch more, she'd be up, and whatever reaction she'd have at finding him half-naked in bed with her would be displayed out for him to witness.

This was bad, he thought. He wasn't even that hungover, but every action he'd made the night before had been a result of Murphy's heartache and his reckless encouragement. He hadn't meant to pine after the one girl that he'd fallen for since Sarah, but when he saw her dancing at midnight it was already set in the stars. Of course Murphy encouraged it, and of course he'd find himself weak at the knees when Emily wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered in his ear about how much she bet he missed her.

'Is it that obvious?' He'd asked, and the rest was history. He couldn't erase it now, no matter how much Emily might want to.

'Hey,' she coughed on her own words.

'You're up,' he couldn't help but smile. She wasn't kicking him out, but instead wrapping her arm around his chest. 'I should check Murphy's alright.'

'Did we?'

'No,' Vinny confirmed. 'You were really insistent on cuddles, though.'

'Makes sense,' Emily smirked to herself. Not the reaction VInny was expecting.

'I'll see you at The Courteeners? You're still going with Murphy?'

'If she's alive,' she closed her eyes again, burning her face in her pillow. Vinny didn't make much more conversation after that.

After confirming Murphy was still alive, and determining she was only coming out for one song, Vinny made his way to guest check in. Harry had texted three times already, probably still worried the passes he'd promised were a lie. It took him around thirty minutes to get there, and by that time the sun had shone down enough to leave him sore, dehydrated and unbothered by any conversation. When he spotted Harry, he was standing with two other's he vaguely recognised. Harry half-hugged him, Chris was more formal with a handshake, and Stephen just gave a polite nod.

'How long you here for?' Vinny asked, peeling the back off the first pass.

'Just today,' Chris answered. 'We've got filming this weekend, so we can't stay.'

'You're coming on Sunday, right?' He glanced up at Harry, who was still looking around himself like he expected someone familiar to round the corner.

'Ye-no, actually,' he corrected. 'I was going to come with Cal and Megan, but I've got plans now.'

'Nice, nice,' he spoke in a singsong voice. 'Anything good?'

'A date, actually,' he winced. 'Murphy knows.'

Vinny stopped for a second, processing what he'd just admitted.

'I told her about it yesterday,' Harry added, like he was trying to explain himself. 'She told me about the date she's going on today, too.' He spoke like it was an afterthought.

'She's going on a date?' Vinny asked without thinking.

'Yeah,' he raised an eyebrow. 'She didn't tell you?'

'She doesn't tell me much.' Vinny finished the conversation, picturing Murphy lay curled up in their tent that morning. All at once, it made sense. The way Murphy had swapped her usually introverted demeanour for her extroverted, drunken alter-ego. It wasn't just to let go, like she'd said it was. Or maybe, it was to let go, but not of the stress she held in her tiny body, but instead of the guy now in front of him, in shorts, t-shirt and bucket hat.

'Are you working now?

'No,' he spoke quickly. 'I'm gonna go see The Courteeners.'

'Sick,' Stephen now spoke. 'That's where we're going.'

'Great,' Harry grinned. 'Come with us?'

Emily (YB)

17:34

Whatever you do, don't bring Murphy to the stage

Go in the pit or the desk

Why?

I fucked up

Remember Harry?

He's here, on the stage

Murphy doesn't know so don't say anything

So?

He's told her he's gonna see someone else

Shit

On it

Stephen seemed to enjoy The Courtneers more than his friends did, and the other three guys mostly held back whilst the set carried on. It was the second time Vinny had seen Chris, but the first time they'd held a proper conversation and they mostly talked about football. The idea of Vinny covering in a video if anyone drops out at the last minute was thrown around, and before he could think about it, Vinny had agreed. They even joked about just replacing Harry, an idea that would have caused complete silence this time last year, but now only brought a round of jeers and taunts.

He found it weird, talking to guys. Most of his life had been spent in the company of women; his mother had raised him, his friends were two twenty-something year old women, and he was becoming notorious for having a string of girls leaving his new apartment. Now, to stand around like an equal with guys his own age, it felt weird. He'd been around guys before, been best friends with a few, but they'd all been either much older or fresh out of college on an apprenticeship. Not great company, though not the worst.

Murphy

18:51

Where are you?

Murphy's text could only mean she was here, but there was no sign of her in the pit. Emily must have got Vinny's text in time, making sure to steer her clear of the stage as soon as they got here.

Murphy

18:52

Got held up, where are you?

Woodsides, mixing desk

Thank fuck for that, Vinny thought. Taking a step backwards, he strained his eyes to try and spot her and Emily from across the whole tent, but he needn't have tried. Emily was wearing a playsuit now, all black with the telltale sign of jewels that Vinny would feel scratching against his skin that night. She looked beautiful, not at all like a girl who'd already spent three days in a field. That wasn't the problem. The problem was on her left.

Murphy was wearing all black, or at least what little could be made of her clothes. He'd seen the skirt already, it was the one she'd chosen that morning and flowed down her thighs, gradually turning into some mesh thing that exposed her calves. But she'd clearly abandoned the Arctic Monkeys shirt, opting instead for what could only be described as a bra. Fine, in any other circumstance, and Vinny could have passed her off as anyone else if Harry followed his eyeline. None of it was a problem, really, aside from the giant ram tattoo that adorned her chest, visible from even this distance.

Vinny didn't even have the time to think about what he would do if Harry saw, because the guy's arms were around his shoulders as the familiar sounds of 'Not Nineteen Forever' started from the speakers. The crowd was loud, Harry and his friends were louder. Vinny's eyes remained focused on the mixing desk, watching Emily and Murphy jump in time to the music. So much for a hangover. The whole thing was about to blow up in his face, and he had Harry's arms gripping tightly on his shirt already. What would he say when he realised Murphy wasn't on a date like she'd said? What would he do when he realised Vinny had lied about the whole thing?

A miracle, a blessing, an act of God. Vinny's eyes remained stuck on the other side of the tent, his vision slowly obscuring. If there was one thing in life he was grateful for, it was the public's ability to sneak flares into a festival. Within seconds, the entire tent had filled with various colours of smoke; red, green, red, orange, even a blue. The smoke billowed from people on top of other people's shoulders, and as Harry turned to look out at the crowd himself, there was no chance of him seeing who was enjoying her own life at the back.

Even when the song finished, it took too long for the smoke to clear, and Vinny managed to bustle the three guys from the side of the stage with a few minutes to spare.

'That was pretty good, actually,' Chris commented, squinting against the sun that was now boring down on top of them. Harry slipped a bandanna over his mouth, pulling his bucket hat down over his eyes.

'We're gonna go find something else, you wanna come with?' He offered.

'Nah,' Vinny glanced behind him. Emily was keeping Murphy in place, but the fear was still nestled in his chest. 'I've got work for a bit.'

'No problem, you at Main Stage later?'

'Arctic monkeys? Probably.'

'Come find us, if you want,' Harry slapped a hand hard against his shoulder, and the three of them were off, cans in hand. It was over, and Vinny had won. He'd managed to avoid an absolute catastrophe, even if he was still cursing Murphy for not telling him the truth. He contemplated for a second texting Megan about his recent findings, but couldn't even bring himself to lift his phone from his pocket. It was exhausting, trying to navigate this entire thing.

For Hozier's set, Vinny stayed mostly silent. Emily and Murphy had made their way to the side of the stage, and they sang enough to each other to make up for the energy he was lacking. Throughout it all, he watched Murphy, twisting her body and moving her hips like she was born to be in this exact moment. He felt regret, but a twinge of sympathy. There she was, moving like nothing had changed in her life, like her head wasn't still pounding from the alcohol the night before. She couldn't even listen to her ex's name these days, and now she knew he'd taken that first step. He'd slipped through her fingers, yet she was still here. A stark contrast to the girl who'd have fled to the farthest edge of the earth just half a year ago. Was this healing? Maturing? Or was this just the cracks in the surface before the flood waters arrived?

At the final song, Emily joined his side, taking his hand in hers as they settled down to a softer tempo. Her eyes were full of hope, even more so when he didn't pull away.

Should have worshipped her sooner. And he should have. For a second, he was lost in her world. A world of unknowns and what-if's, and second chances. The other women meant nothing now, and he couldn't ever imagine inviting another girl back to his room ever again. How could he, when the one he really wanted was right here, smiling at him like he was the whole world. He'd marry this girl one day, he just knew it. 'When you know, you just know,' words that had been said by a man he couldn't remember the name of. He'd thought it was true with Sarah, but now he was certain it wasn't.

But Emily nudged him, glancing over to where Murphy stood. She wasn't singing now, just standing, letting the music bathe her in melody. Her face was no longer a smile, but instead pensive. Vinny tried to imagine the world she was drowning in, but he could only paddle on the surface. Without any prompt, the couple opened their arms, pulling her backwards towards them and trapping her in a tight hug. Vinnt wanted to tell her that he knew, but he couldn't. Murphy's skin was thick with strength, but her insides were still made of porcelain. If Harry's confession was a secret to him, he'd keep it so.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 29 15
Wroetoshaw fanfic
275K 2.1K 70
From an insta post, to meeting in person. Follow Harry and Lacey on their cute little adventure to love. Short Chapters x
163K 1K 35
I finally got the chance to see my childhood bestfriend Ethan after a few years, and then I met him. I met Harry. #1 in behzinga (11/01/21) #1 in cal...
286K 2.6K 29
You recently moved to London with your bestfriend Talia and go on holiday with her boyfriends mates....