Paradise in Apocalypse (Anime...

By VladFallen

The world has come to an end... they say. The once thriving world ruled by humanity became so desolate and ab... More

Experimental Chapter
Prologue: Disaster Struck
Chapter 1: Devastation
Chapter 2: Collapsing World
Chapter 3: Augmentation
Chapter 4: Scavenging
Chapter 5: Mall
Chapter 6: Mall (2)
Chapter 7: Zombie Outbreak
Chapter 8: Zombie Outbreak (2)
Chapter 9: Zombie Outbreak (3)
Chapter 10: Planning
Chapter 11: Ship Augmentation
Chapter 12: Exploration
Chapter 13: Exploration (2)
Chapter 14: Experiment
Chapter 15: Rescue Mission
Chapter 16: Rescue Mission (2)
Chapter 17: Danger Zone
Chapter 18: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy
Chapter 19: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy (2)
Chapter 20: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy (3)
Chapter 21: Frost Nightmare
Chapter 22: Frost Nightmare (2)
Chapter 23: Quick Visit
Chapter 24: Exhaustion
Chapter 25: High Fever
Chapter 26: Introductions
Chapter 27: Studying Mamoru's Ability
Chapter 28: Ikumi's Guilt
Chapter 29: Shooting Range
Chapter 30: Shooting Range (2)
Chapter 31: Changing Destinations
Chapter 32: Weird Duo
Chapter 33: Ikeshima Island
Chapter 34: Ikeshima Island (2)
Chapter 35: Saeko's Concerns
Chapter 36: Mercenaries
Chapter 37: Ikeshima Island (3)
Chapter 38: Ikeshima Island (4)
Chapter 39: Volcanic Eruption
Chapter 40: Island Relic
Chapter 41: New Members
Chapter 42: Paradise
Chapter 43: Moving in
Chapter 44: Drinking Party
Chapter 45: Changes (Lemon)
Chapter 46: Settling Relationships
Chapter 47: Unknown Building
Chapter 49: Temple (2)
Chapter 50: Cooking
Chapter 51: Emergency
Chapter 52: Leaving
Chapter 53: Preparations

Chapter 48: Temple

608 54 3
By VladFallen

"... This place is huge"

Mamoru said as he and the girls arrived in front of the temple, which was 5x larger than what it looked originally. Making him look around as he stepped on the stairs of the temple. Leading to the entrance where the worship hall is located.

In front of them was a wooden statue of a man with ethereal beauty. Making Mamoru stare at the statue. Experienced a strange feeling as if the statue was releasing a noble and mystical vibe.

"... I can't still see anything..."

Mamoru said with a light frown on his face as he tried to call the status window of each of these items. Making him let out a frown as Robin walked closer to the statue. He was finding an offering area in front of the statue where they could throw in coins or bills.

"... Why would something like this appear on the island?"

She muttered to herself as she looked around. Watching as Mavis walks towards the statue with starry eyes. It was as if her fascination, curiosity, and amazement all burst out of her expression due to the unexplainable events she was seeing.

It was as if everything in front of her was occurring because of magic.

"Is it related to the "God" that gave me this augmentation ability?"

Mamoru whispered to himself while holding his chin. He wanted to test out what would happen if he offered something to the god behind this, but couldn't due to his lack of funds. Not a single coin was left to him after he augmented the entire island.

"I want to try it out!"

Mavis cheerfully said as she reached out her hand in her pocket and pulled out 500 yen. She threw it to the box in front of her and clasped her hands together to pray.

Suddenly, the coin disintegrated in mid-air before a pillar of light shone above the table beside the statue. Shocking the 4 of them as they watch an object form from particles of light.

"Oh?"

Mavis muttered as she dazedly stared at the pillar of light. Watching as a piece of paper formed on top of the table.

"Incredible..."

She muttered in awe before she walked towards the table. Wondering what the piece of paper was, causing the others to move behind her. Wanting to see what it was.

"... It's... a ticket?"

She muttered with a confused look on her face as she looked at the telephone symbol etched on the paper with the words "Unlock Global Call x1" on its surface. Making her title her head in confusion while Mamoru and Robin raised their eyebrows as if they had a gist of what it was.

"Mamoru... can you see its information?"

"I can... surprisingly"

[Global Call Access Ticket (Consumable)

Quality: Unknown

Features:
 - Allows its user to initiate a private call with anyone within the global server as long as their name is specified as the ticket is used]

The information window of the item read, causing him to have a look of surprise on his face. He didn't expect that the very thing that they were discussing moments ago would manifest as an item in front of them. Making him hold his chin before glancing at the statue.

"Don't tell me... this thing gives us what we need an exchange for an offering, right?"

He asked himself before Mavis passed the ticket to him. Making Mamoru glance at her with a hint of confusion and bewilderment in his eyes. Wondering why she is giving something important like this away.

"You look like you know what it does. So how about you use it?"

"It's your money, so it's yours... As for what it does. It allows us to contact anyone around the globe when you use it. Don't you have anyone you wish to contact?"

"I don't... How about you? Don't you have anyone you want to contact?"

"... Well... I do, but it's better to use it for something more important. How about we give it to Kirisaki-san? She's been desperately trying to find a way to contact her mother. I'm sure she'll appreciate receiving something like this"

Mavis suggested as she passed the ticket to Robin. Making the said person stare at her deeply and glance at the ticket in her hand. 

"Are you sure you want to give it to us? You can use this to contact your family, you know"

"Did you forget I'm an orphan? Also... I'm older than all of you, so think of this as something of an assistance as the oldest person in our group"

She said with a smile on her face, causing Robin to let out a grateful sigh. Folding the ticket and placing it in her pocket so she could give it to Chitoge later once she wakes up.

"Mamoru, are you sure you don't want to use that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Didn't you say you wanted to contact the CEO you meantioned before?"

"Don't worry too much. I have my own ways to find them. It's better to use it to help our other members who really needs it"

Mamoru said to Paula with an assuring look on his face. Patting her on the head as if he was dealing with a child, causing the said person to angrily look at his direction.

"Stop treating me like a child"

"Hmm? Oh sorry, you were so short that I thought you were a middle-schooler"

"YOU!!"

"Now Now, how about we calm down? Mamoru, please stop teasing her"

Tsugumi said with a helpless smile on her face as she got in between them to stop them from bickering any further. Making Mamoru shrug his shoulder in response before he looked back at the main entrance of the temple.

"I wonder what's inside this place?"

He said since he wasn't really familiar with the interiors of a temple. He was always busy so during new years or christmas, he just pass by it, offer, and pray.

"Should we split up?"

Robin asked since at their pace. It will take hours until they fully explore this entire temple. Making Mamoru nod his head in response.

"You and me, we'll explore the first two floors. The rest of you explore the 3rd floor. If you find anything suspicious. Don't hesitate to call us"

"You want to he left alone with Robin?"

Paula asked with raised eyebrows. Making Mamoru show a wry look on his face before performing a light karate chop on top of her head.

"Get your mind out of the gutter. We're just exploring this place. Do you think I'm a person with any self-control and morals?"

"Ugh..."

Paula growled as she help her head. Making Mamoru let out a sigh in response.

"Let's meet before noon in this entrance. Robin, let's go"

Timeskip

"This place is so fucking dark..."

Mamoru commented as he and Robin walked on the long carpet in the first floor of the temple. Looking around the dark corners of the floor as nothing but natural light and a few traditional lamps are used to illuminate this place.

"The interior design of this place is so old fashioned..."

"What do you expect from a temple created by some god? It kind of... fits the setting I guess? I would be really surprised if this place is fucking modernized"

He muttered before they arrived in front of a door leading to a separate room. Making him place his hand on the door and pushed it open. Revealing a large hall, which had multiple small wooden platforms on its walls.

On the platforms were a total of 27 lit candle with their names written on a wooden board and placed in front of each of them. Every candle had varying heights and seemed to have been burning for a while now, but what was weird was that there was no sign of melted wax on the platforms. It was as if the candle was melting extremely slowly.

"What is this?"

Mamoru muttered as he looked around in awe. Wondering what this room was since there was nothing but candles in this empty place. Making him walk inside and look at the candles close to them.

"... That's weird..."

He said to himself as he looked at the candle which had its name placed in front of it. Seeing that it was longer than the candles of Mavis and Robin, but a lot shorter than Shiro, whom is the longest among them. Making him hold his chin in response. Wondering what all of this represented.

"Hey Mamoru, don't you think- WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?"

Robin angrily shouted as she suddenly saw Mamoru reach out towards his own candle. Trying to put out the fire by pinching it with his finger, but was stopped by Robin who hugged his arm to stop him.

"What? I'm just testing something out"

"Are you insane? We don't even know what this things are! But judging from how all of us have our own candle, this must be connected to us. It can even be a representation of our life, you know!!"

"Oh"

Mamoru said before he quickly reached out his left hand and pinched the wick of his candle. Shocking Robin before she hurriedly pushed him down. Pulling him away from his candle and preventing him from experimenting even further.

"Seriously, why won't you listen!?"

"Relax... We won't know anything about them if we insist of playing safe, right?"

He said with a smile on his face, causing Robin to deeply frown in response.

"Look at that"

Mamoru said as he pointed his finger at his candle. Making Robin look back to see that his candle was strangely still lit, and the fire was as still strong as before.

"It should be dead by now since I cut off its oxygen, but isn't it strange that it still lit?"

"... Please don't do anything as risky as this again"

Robin reminded while pulling his sweater, causing Mamoru to form a guilty look on his face.

"Alright, I'm sorry... I won't do it again, okay?"

He said, causing Robin to momentarily glare at him in response. Getting off him before standing up, causing Mamoru to slowly get up from the ground. Not bothering.

"Oh yeah... why are you wearing a turtleneck sweater?"

"... It's cold"

"That's strange... I never once saw you wear something like this even during the blizzard"

"... Don't sweat the small details..."

He said before looking away. Hiding the nervous smile on his face, and sighed in relief that he made measures to prevent Revi's scent from sticking on his body.

"... why do you look so guilty?"

"I wonder what you mean by that?"

"Often, when you're conversing with anyone. I always see you looking at them in the eye. I wonder why are you avoiding making eye contact with me now?"

"I'm just looking at Shiro's candle... Don't you think it's weird that it's a lot longer than the rest of the candles in this room?"

He said as he forced the subject to change, causing Robin to stare at him in suspicion. Feeling as if he was hiding something extremely important from her.

"I guess... it is strange..."

"See? Well... I have some conclusion on what these things are, but I'm not too sure"

He said as he walked closer to the candles. Exhilarated that she just gone with the flow and didn't purse that matter anymore.

"Maybe it's connected to our lifespan?"

"... Explain"

"It's just a hypothesis. Look at your and Mavis' candles. It's the shortest among them since you two are already past 30, and look at Shiro's candle. It's the longest since right now, she's the youngest among us"

He said as he reached out his hand towards the wick of his candle again, but this time. He just touched the fire lightly. Noticing that it didn't hurt nor burn him at all, but i felt just like wind caressing his skin.

"I want to test out if these candles are unbreakable but... I don't think that's possible"

He said as Robin glared at him after hearing that he wanted to experiment with his candle again.

"The fire should indicate that we're still alive and slowly burning our own lifespans as time passes. Which explains why it can't be put out. Fortunately, there is this kind of limitation. I wouldn't want anyone in our group accidentally killing others for putting out this fire"

"But... we can't be too sure about that, right?"

"Yeah... I have a plan but... it might sound a bit cruel"

"What is it?"

"I plan on bringing a criminal survivor into the island and perform tests on his candles. If it appears here then it means that this place keeps track of the lifespans of all residents of the island"

"... what if he dies?"

"I don't plan on leaving someone like that alive in our group. Regardless of what happens, I'll kill him to prevent future troubles"

He said without even a slight hint of remorse or hesitation in his voice.

"I see..."

"You don't sound surprised that I don't hesitate to kill"

"I already half-expected it. After going back and forth in that hellish place and almost dying in multiple occasions. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't grow crazy nor did you get any severe phobia or trauma from that. You are just a normal students a few weeks ago after all. You are bound to lose a few screws in your brain if you're living in this apocalyptic world"

Robin said with an understanding look on her face. Making Mamoru remain silent in response. This meant that despite knowing that their's a large possibility of him going insane or turning into a full on psychopath. They all still accepted him and even confessed their love for him without hesitation. He felt flattered but pressured at the same time.

"Hmm? Are you speechless because we still confessed to you despite that?"

"... You're still as sharp as ever"

"When it comes to this area... You're just easy to read, Mamoru"

She said with a beautiful smile on her face. Watching as Mamoru continued to stand still before leaning closer.

"Don't feel too guilty or pressured on something like this. We wouldn't want you to accept us just because of guilt or pressure. I want you to fully accept us because you love us"

She said before she moved away from him. Making Mamoru look at her in the eye.

"To be honest, we planned on taking it slow and nurture your feelings for us, but we didn't expect for you to find out. We even accepted that it might take months or even years. Now, everything just feels so rushed especially after your statement. It leaves a very... bitter aftertaste in my mouth"

"... Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight back then because of anger"

He answered while awkwardly scratching his head. Making Robin remain silent before she closed her eyes and looked at the window.

"Mamoru... I want you to answer me honestly... what do you think of us?"

"..."

"Do you like us? Or... do you only look at us as mere friends?"

She asked in a sincere tone. Making Mamoru feel a bit strange since her attitude right now was far from her image in his mind. She rarely had any outburst of emotions in the anime and is the most calm and collected member of Luffy's crew.

Now, she was looking at him with a hint of nervousness in her eyes, but she still kept a calm exterior. Making him feel as if his throat went dry. Not knowing how to answer her.

"..."

"I'll interpret that as you only see us as friends"

She said with a helpless smile on her face as she saw his silence. Making her try to walk of the room since they finished exploring it.

"I like you girls..."

"Eh?"

Robin muttered as she stopped in her tracks. Looking back at Mamoru with a surprised look on her face.

"But... romantically is a bit far fetched. It's not easy to feel love again when I already entered and left different kinds of relationships throughout my life.  Sorry..."

"It's fine, it's already within my expectations that it wouldn't be so easy"

"..."

"At least... you have some emotional attachment to us and attraction, right? It's a great starting point to take you down"

She said as she poked his cheek with her finger. Smiling sweetly at him with a slightly pinkish hue on her cheeks.

"Be prepared. None of us plan to give up just because of this"

She declared with a confident look on her face. Making Mamoru place his hand on his mouth in response. Feeling something snap in him as he looked away. Trying to hide his current expression from her.

"Fucking hell..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165 1 4
After Izuku betrayed by his own country, his loves ones, teachers, parents, friends and family. The most sad and broken part he received on his life...
66 10 11
In a world set hundreds of years after the current day, humanity has greatly progressed technologically, physically, and mentally. However, after an...
134K 2.3K 29
With the impossible size of the universe, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that there is life beyond just humans out there. Countless things h...
3.1K 212 11
Once upon a time, there was a young man who dreamed of becoming a hero. His parents denied him his dream. They blocked his path as much as they could...