Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

52 : Divine Creation

364 33 62
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔲𝔤𝔲𝔰𝔱 2006

It was an understatement to say that the Doctor was unhappy. His lack of knowledge about the ghosts was eating away at him, and as soon as Jackie mentioned the tv, he was glued to it.

He had huddled himself opposite the box, remote in hand, leant up against the sofa. EJ could see how tense he was, and sat directly behind him, just so he could offer some support. His legs were either side of the Doctor's body and he ran his fingers through his spiked hair. It didn't do much, but he hoped that it would do enough.

"On today's Ghostwatch, claims that some of the ghosts are starting to talk, and there seems to be a regular formation gathering about Westminster Bridge. It's almost like a military display..."

The Doctor changed the channel and spoke through gritted teeth. "What the hell's going on?"

"And tonight we're expecting very strong ghosts, from London through the North and up into Scotland."

He changed it again, and Trisha came on. "So, basically, Eileen, what you're telling me is that you are in love with a ghost?"

"He's my ghost," The woman insisted. "And I love him 24/7."

The channel changed to some drama. "Well, no one needs me anymore." There were no ghosts, so it changed again.

There was even an advert for the ghosts, which seemed odd. "My ghost was pale and grey, until I discovered... Ectoshine!"

"Ectoshite, more like." EJ scoffed, leaning his head on top of the Doctor's. At least it made Rose laugh.

"Et le President a dit aujourd'hui que les fan..."

"Taj Mahal jaane waale logon ko hoshiyaar kiya..."

"Nihonjin wa okashiku natte shimatta youdesu..."

As some Japanese girls were shown on the screen screaming about their love for the ghosts, the Doctor rubbed his face. "It's all over the world."

He tried one last channel change, but he ended up with Eastenders on. "Listen to me, Den Watts, I don't care if you have come back from the grave, get out of my pub! The only spirits I'm serving in this place are gin, whisky and vodka. So, you heard me, get out!"

  With that, he rolled his eyes, turned off the tv, and leant back against EJ's legs. He was clearly frustrated, but he wanted to know the answers. "But when did it start?"

  "Well," Jackie began like she did with every story. "First of all, Peggy heard this noise down in the cellar, so she goes down..."

  "No, I mean, worldwide."

  "Oh, that was about two months ago." She shrugged nonchalantly from her space on the sofa. "Just happened. Woke up one morning and there they all were. Ghosts everywhere. We all ran around screaming and that. Whole planet was panicking: no sign of you, thank you, thank you very much! But then it sort of sank in. Took us time to realise that... we're lucky."

Rose put a hand on her arm. "What makes you think it's Grandad?"

"It just feels like him." She shrugged, not having a solid reason. "There's that smell, those old cigarettes. Can't you smell it?"

"I wish I could, Mum, but I can't."

"Well, you've got to make an effort." Jackie replied, shaking her head. "You've got to want it, Sweetheart."

The Doctor raised an eyebrow skeptically. "And the more you want it, the stronger it gets?"

"Sort of, yeah."

"Like a psychic link." He said, rubbing the back of his head. "Of course you want your old dad to be alive, but you're wishing him into existence. The ghosts are using that to pull themselves in."

Jackie stood from her seat and threw her arms down like a child in a tantrum. "You're spoiling it!"

"He does that." EJ replied, nonchalantly, resting his elbows on the Doctor's shoulders, loosely wrapping them around. "It's his job."

"I'm sorry Jackie, but there's no smell. There's no cigarettes. Just the memory."

Softly, Rose queried. "If they're not ghosts, what are they, then?"

"Yeah, but they're human!" She protested, unwilling to give up. "You can see them! They look human!"

"She's got a point." The blonde girl said, agreeing with her mother. "I mean, they're sort of blurred, but they're definitely people."

The Doctor disagreed. "Maybe not. They're pressing themselves into the surface of the world. But a footprint doesn't look like a boot."

He wasted little time in running back to the Tardis, and EJ joined him. However, Rose decided that she would do a little more scoping of the area as she calmed her mother. She'd join them soon enough.

The Doctor was fishing around inside of some draws, looking for, obviously, something particular. He tossed out pens and journals, belonging to EJ, memorabilia from their travels, also EJ's, and a collection of nail varnishes, which too were owned by EJ. He even threw a Polaroid camera at the black haired boy, who managed to catch it before it hit the ground.

"Watch it." He said through gritted teeth. "This is important."

Still searching, the Doctor didn't look up. "Why? What was it?"

"It's my camera." EJ replied, opening the case it came in, and smiling when he saw the collection of photographs in there. "It's got all the pictures I've taken when we've been travelling."

"There we go!" The Doctor exclaimed in glee, a pair of 3D glasses in his hands. He hid them in his suit jacket and turned to EJ. "When did you take these?"

Usually, he kept them to himself. It wasn't like they were private, only memories he wanted to keep for as long as he could. There was one or two of Rose; on the first was written 'Space Florida' and the second 'Satellite Five'. There were a couple of Jack and of Mickey; some purposefully taken as selfies, and other just portraits. However, there were more of the Doctor than anyone else.

His previous face, the leather jacket wearing one, only had a couple. He was hard to catch alone. But this face, the skinny, freckled one, had a ton. EJ couldn't help himself. There were an abundance of photos of him, but the boys favourite was taken mere minutes after they had kissed, and there was still an air of shock to the Doctor.

Without saying a word, the Doctor picked up one of the Polaroids of EJ. Jack had taken it; he was sat on the beams, sketching in his journal, tattooed limbs resting gently on his knees. He reached into his coat and pulled out the wallet containing the psychic paper. There was a second plastic flap on the other side; the Doctor slotted the picture there before returning it to his pocket.

Wordless, EJ packed his things away, and the Doctor carried on pressing buttons on the console. He was thankful that they had, because Rose walked through the doors moments later. It would have been a challenge to explain.

"According to the paper, they've elected a ghost as MP for Leeds." She sniggered. "Now, don't tell me you're going to sit back and do nothing."

As she talked, and EJ was busy, he hadn't realised that the Doctor had been just as engaged. He was in between the two levels of the floor, and suddenly, he jumped up with a box on his back and an old fashioned looking hand-piece. "Who you gonna call?"

There was a varied level of enthusiasm with their responses. "Ghost Busters!"

"I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts!"

Rose was left in hysterics as the Doctor did an odd little kick as apart of the song running through his mind. He handed EJ a large copper egg, which weighed a ton, and directed him outside with it. He was carrying on himself. They placed a total of four on the tarmac in the playground.

The Doctor had a plan, but he was yet to share it. "When's the next Shift?" He asked Jackie.

"Quarter to." The older woman said, skeptically. "But don't go causing trouble... what's that lot do?"

He stood back and looked to the square left in the centre. "Triangulates their point of origin."

"I don't suppose it's the Gelth?" Rose asked as she leant into the Doctor's side.

EJ clicked his knuckles. "I'm guessing that was before me, then."

"Nah!" The Doctor shook his head, confidently, once again brushing over the Thompson boy. "They just came through one little rift. This lot are transposing themselves over the whole planet."

"Like tracing paper." He suggested, watching as a wire was plugged into the bottom of each of the eggs, connecting them to the Tardis.

The Doctor nodded. "Like tracing paper."

"You're always going this. Reducing it to science." Jackie scoffed, angrily. "Why can't it be real? Just think of it, though. All the people we've lost, our families, coming back home. Don't you think it's beautiful?"

"I think it's horrific." He said, sincerely, refusing to waste a moment longer. "EJ! Rose! Give us a hand!"

They ran back inside of the Tardis, and watched as the Doctor plugged the wires into the console. He uncoiled it with nimble fingers. He was an an enigma.

"Soon as the cones activated, if that line goes into the red, press that button there. If it doesn't stop..." He showed them the monitor before passing the sonic to EJ, who was grinning because of it. "Setting 15B. Hold it against the port, eight seconds and stop."

"15B, eight seconds, stop." Rose repeated back to him."

EJ mock saluted. "Sir, yes, sir."

"If it goes into the blue, activate deep scan."

"Hang on a minute, I know..." Rose paused a second before pointing to one of the buttons. "That's that one."

The Doctor winced. "Close."

"I thought you said you hated guessing." EJ narrowed his eyes at her.

She ignored him, and tried again. "That one?"

"Now you've just killed us." The Doctor said with gritted teeth.

EJ didn't even look as he pointed to a yellow button on the console. "It's this one."

"Yep!" Their eyes met momentarily, and the Doctor's small smirk was quite the sight. "Now what have we got? Two minutes to go!"

Just to see that he was correct, Jackie checked her watch. As she did, the Doctor ran back out of the Tardis doors, almost hyper in he way he moved. He barely gave EJ a chance to feel proud of the fact he had the sonic screwdriver before he called out to them.

     "What's the line doing?"

  Rose called back. "It's alright, it's holding!"

  "You even look like him." Jackie said, softly, beside her daughter.

  "How d'you mean?" She didn't understand, but EJ did. He saw the way she mimicked his actions, and took on the same responsibilities. "S'pose I do, yeah."

  "You've changed so much."

  "For the better." Rose countered, though she sounded unsure.

  She shrugged; EJ didn't feel like he should have been there, but he had a job to do. "I suppose."

  "Mum, I used to work in a shop!"

  "I've worked in shops, what's wrong with that?"

  "No," She sighed, placing a hand on her head. "I didn't mean..."

  "I know what you meant." Jackie gulped, practically sneering. "What happens when I'm gone?"

  Suddenly, Rose was startled, and her eyes opened wide. "Don't talk like that."

  "No, but really. When I'm dead and buried, you won't have any reason to come back home. What happens then?"

  "I don't know."

  "Do you think you'll ever settle down?"

  "The Doctor never will, so I can't." Rose said it, honestly, but EJ couldn't stand the way she spoke with no regard for anyone else. "I'll just keep on travelling."

Jackie sounded like she might cry, and yet, she held so firm. "And you'll keep on changing. And in 40 years time, 50, there'll be this woman, this strange woman, walking through the marketplace, on some planet, a billion miles away from Earth. But she's not Rose Tyler... not anymore. She's not even human."

EJ was thankful that the Doctor called from outside. "Here we go!"

"Scanners working," Rose called, reverting back to her other self. "It says delta one six!"

"Come on, then!" The Doctor was jumping up and down. "You beauty!"

In the centre of this diamond, a figure began to form. The Doctor was almost giddy from it. From each corner, electricity zapping into the ghost. In realising that Rose didn't need his help, EJ watched from the doorway of the Tardis. The scanner didn't show it in so much detail, and this was brilliant.

The Doctor reached into his coat and picked out the 3D glasses he'd searched for. When he wore them, it was clear he was looking for something in particular. There was a radio in his hand he kept fiddling with a knob on the top of it; it just kept beeping with this bright green light. EJ wanted to know what he was doing more than anything.

     "Don't like that much, do you? Who are you? Where are you coming from?" The Doctor chuckled and taunted, before jumping back when there was a spark. "Oh! That's more like it! Not so friendly now, are you?"

     Then, quite quickly, the ghost disappeared from sight, and the Doctor wasted hardly any time in picking up the eggs. They were bundled in his arms as he sprinted indoors. EJ moved out of the way.

"I said so." The Doctor announced, removing his coat and throwing it onto one of the beams. "Those ghosts are being forced into existence from one specific point! And I can track down the source! Allons-y!"

The Doctor hardly thought before kickstarting the engines. They moved with such an impact that EJ was thrown against one of the beams. He clung to it for dear life.

     "I like that, allons-y. I should say allons-y more often. Allons-y!" The Doctor said as he jumped around the console with more energy than usual. "Look out, Rose Tyler, allons-y! Come on, EJ Thompson, allons-y! And then, it would be brilliant if I met someone called Alonso. Cos then I could say allons-y Alonso. Everyone!" Then he stopped, and paused. "You're staring at me."

  Rose's eyes widened as she gestured behind him with her pupils. "My Mum's still onboard."

  EJ waved at her from his spot, but she really wasn't having any of it. Jackie folded her arms, and frowned deeply. "If I end up on Mars, I'm going to kill you."

     This was most literally a nightmare of the Doctor's. EJ was unsure how the rest of it would play out, now. Jackie and him were quite opposed most of the time, and having to put up with her for an extended period of time was going to be horrific, but they didn't have a choice. There was work to do.

The monitor showed that they had landed in some sort of storage room... again. However, this time, they were surrounded by soldiers, pointing guns at them directly. At first, it was a little intimidating, but then EJ realised just how wonderful the sight really was. There was always something about people in uniform.

"There goes the advantage of surprise." The Doctor inhaled deeply. "Still, cuts to the chase. Stay in here, look after Jackie."

  Rose ran after him as she countered. "I'm not looking after my mum!"

  "You brought her!" The Doctor reasoned.

  Jackie folded her arms across her chest. "I was kidnapped!"

  "I don't think this constitutes kidnapping." EJ's brows furrowed.

  Despite having already been dismissed, Rose surged in front of the Doctor and covered the Tardis doors with her body. "Doctor! They've got guns!"

  "And I haven't, which makes me the better person, don't you think?" He guided her to the side. "They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine. Now, EJ..."

  "What?" His attention snapped to the Doctor, and his eyes widened when he realised what he meant. "Really?"

  "Yes, really, come on."

EJ found it odd that the Doctor could change his persona so quickly, because as the Tardis doors opened, he became stoic. His face was stone, and his arms raised to show surrender. Swiftly, the Thompson boy followed by his example. It was the path of least resistance.

They just sort of stood there for a moment, until a blonde woman scuttled through the soldiers. She seemed extremely professional until she began to clap as if they'd performed Shakespeare's works in their entirety. It was almost condescending.

"Oh, how marvellous! Oh, very good!" She announced, and then the guns were dropped, everyone clapping. "Superb! Happy day!"

"Um, thanks..." Shocked, the Doctor lowered his arms. "Nice to meet you. I'm the Doctor, and this is EJ Thompson."

A small smile crossed his face. "Hi." He too was unsure.

"Oh, I should say! Hooray!"

As she clapped again, starting a ripple effect around the room, the Doctor was clearly going through every possible process. "You... you've heard of me, then?"

"Well, of course we have. And I have to say, if it wasn't for you, none us of would be here. The Doctor and the Tardis!"

"And EJ?" The boy shrugged, half searching for his own little applause, which didn't come for him. Instead, they just clapped for the Doctor, and his ego grew visibly.

He gestured for them all to quieten down. "And... and... and you are?"

"Oh, plenty of time for that." She scoffed. "But according to the records, you're not one for travelling lightly. The Doctor and his companions, that's the pattern, isn't that right? There's no point hiding anything. Not from us. So where is she?"

For a moment, the Doctor stared blankly into space before smiling and pushing open the Tardis door. "Yes, sorry, good point. She's just a bit shy, that's all. But here she is: Rose Tyler." He reached in and pulled out Jackie, and not even for a moment, did he falter. It was quite impressive. "She's not the best I've ever had. Bit too blonde. Not too steady on her pins. Lot of that..." He demonstrated a talking hand. "And just last week, she stared into the heart of the Time Vortex and aged 57 years. She's no EJ Thompson, but she'll do."

Jackie quickly retorted. "I'm 40!"

"Deluded, bless." The Doctor taunted; he's been waiting for an opportunity like this for quite some time. "I'll have to trade her in, d'you need anyone? She's very good at tea. Well, I say very good, I mean not bad. Well, I say not bad... anyway! Lead on! Allons-y! But not too fast, her ankles going."

"I'll show you where my ankles going."

"That's just made my day." EJ grinned, digging his hands into his pockets, sort of hoping that he'd brought a jacket because it was draughty. "I love my life sometimes."

  "It was only a matter of time until you found us." The woman said as she guided them out of the storage room. "And at last you've made it! I'd like to welcome you, Doctor. Welcome to Torchwood!"

  The Thompson boy's ears pricked as she pushed open a set of double doors. "Torchwood?"

     It was a vast space, possibly more than EJ was expecting to see. However, it did just look like a warehouse; it must have been a lower floor, maybe even a basement. There were forklifts everywhere, and boxes all over. In fact, it looked like a complete and utter concrete mess.

     "That's a Jathaa Sun Glider." The Doctor said, almost in awe, as the lady guided them through the space. It was this huge metal ship, halfway through being deconstructed.

"Come down to Earth off the Shetland Islands, ten years ago."

"What, did it crash?"

"No, we shot it down." She said, as though it were the most simple thing. "They violated our airspace, then we stripped it bare. The weapon that destroyed the Sycorax, on Christmas Day? That was us. Now, if you'd like to come with me."

It wasn't a question, but EJ grumbled anyway. "Not especially."

"The Torchwood Institute has a motto. If it's alien, it's ours. Anything that comes from the sky, we strip it down, and use it for the good of the British Empire."

Jackie's brows furrowed. "For the good of the what?"

"The British Empire." She clarified, and EJ scoffed loudly.

"There's isn't a British Empire." The older woman frowned.

"Not yet. Excuse me, now, if you wouldn't mind..." She was handed a rather large, metallic gun. "D'you recognise this, Doctor?"

It was held in front of him, and he seemed baffled. "That's a particle gun."

Jackie reached out to touch it, but it was swiftly moved out of reach. "Good, isn't it? Took us eight years to get it to work."

"It's the 21st century." The Doctor stared at it. "You can't have particle guns."

"I'm assuming now isn't the time to ask what a particle gun is." EJ looked briefly at the Doctor, who nodded. "Thought so."

"We must defend our border against the aliens..." The woman handed off the gun to one of the soldiers. "Thank you. Sebastian, isn't it?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Thank you, Sebastian." She nodded. "It's very important to know everyone by name. Torchwood is a very modern organisation. People skills, that's what it's all about these days. I'm a people person."

Quickly, the Doctor's ears pricked up. "Have you got anyone called Alonso?"

EJ rolled his eyes and nudged his side with his shoulder. "Really?"

"I don't think so." She said. "Is that important?"

"I suppose not." The Doctor sighed, filling his cheeks with air, when an idea became clear to EJ.

"Do you have an Angel working here?" He asked, before realising just how it sounded. "Not a literal angel, a person, red hair. Angel Summerly?"

"Oh, we did." The woman responded, courteously. "He transferred to Torchwood Three only last week. Why?"

"Nothing." EJ said, shaking his head. His mind crossed briefly to Taylor, but if Angel was gone, there was no reason to keep him unless he was exceptional. EJ had never seen him that way. "Thanks anyway, lady."

  "There's a point." The Doctor hummed, turning to the woman. "What was your name?"

  "Yvonne, Yvonne Hartman."

     Though it was interesting to learn who she was, EJ couldn't have been less bothered the moment the Doctor found something new to play with. He revealed some black clamp-like things from the box closest to him. They looked brilliant; Jackie was just confused.

     "Ah, yes, now we're rather fond of these." The woman, Yvonne, explained. "The Magna-Clamp, found in a spaceship buried at the base of Mount Snowdon. Attach this to an object and it cancels the mass. I could use it to lift two tons of weight with a single hand. That's an imperial ton, by the way. Torchwood refuses to go metric."

  "I could do with that to carry the shopping." Jackie said, without too much thought.

  "All these devices are for Torchwood's benefit. Not for the general public's."

  "Then you're selfish, at least, if not heartless," EJ retorted, almost angrily, hating the way that she positioned herself. "And down right rude, actually."

      Frankly, he didn't care that the woman ignored him, because he had said his piece. However, the Doctor had been listening, intently. As they walked around the warehouse space, he was held closely. Perhaps the Doctor knew he was slightly on edge; but then again, they all were. Rose was alone in the Tardis. What were they supposed to do?

    "So," The Doctor said, peering over the top of a large magnifying glass. "What about these ghosts?"

  "Ah, yes, the ghosts." Yvonne replied as though the Doctor were some great nuisance for asking. "They're what you might call a side effect."

  "Of what?"

  "All in good time, Doctor!" She smirked. "There is an itinerary, trust me."

  "You're a weird lady, Yvonne." EJ told her honestly, looking in the eyes as much as he could, considering he was quite a bit taller. "Kind of twisty and dark, and I respect that, but it's just... what are you doing?"

His attention was stolen by the sight of the Tardis being carted away. Jackie was taking issue with it. "Oi, where are you taking that?"

  Yvonne replied with a simple smile. "If it's alien, it's ours."

  "You'll never get inside it." The Doctor shrugged, rather chuffed with himself.

  She humphed. "Etcetera."

  EJ shook his head and scoffed, purely because the woman was getting on his nerves. "That doesn't even make sense."

     There was no way that they would be leaving Torchwood any time soon. If EJ was honest, he was concerned. He needed to know what was happening with Rose. He'd promised Pete and Mickey that he would look after her, and he didn't even know where she'd been taken...

     It wasn't going to get any better.

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 1.4K 95
The Seer adventures with The 10th Doctor.
13.6K 420 12
DOCTOR WHO | 9 & 10 -"Weirdo!" ------> She was found alone and in pain, scorch marks and burnt wings. He was searching around space and time for any...
2.1K 79 11
𝘊𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 /ˈ𝘬𝘫𝘶ː𝘱ɪ𝘥/ (𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯: 𝘊𝘶𝘱ī𝘥ō [𝘬ʊˈ𝘱𝘪ː𝘥𝘰ː], 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 "𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘳𝘦") 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘦...