Eagle of Knights (An Arabic L...

Door TheQueenofDarkness

Arabs are well known for their culture, Poetry, and hospitality. They are also recognized for their valor and... Meer

Eagle of Knights (An Arabic Love Story)
Eagle Of Knights Chp1
Eagle Of Knights Chp2
Eagle Of Knights Chp3
Eagle Of Knights Chp4
Eagle Of Knights Chp5
Eagle Of Knights Chp6
Eagle of Knights Chp7
Eagle of Knights Chp8
Eagle of Knights Chp9
Eagle of Knights Chp10
Eagle of Knights Chp11
Eagle of Knights Chp12
Eagle of Knights Chp13
Eagle Of Knights Chp15

Eagle of Knights Chp14

4.4K 398 254
Door TheQueenofDarkness

*After you nothing goes nothing returns* Mahmoud Darwish.

The saddle creaked beneath Shoug's weight as she shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a position that would offer some relief from the jarring motion of the galloping horse. But no matter how she adjusted herself, she couldn't shake the feeling of Badr's presence, his warmth pressed against her back, enveloping her. She stole glances at the dunes, hoping to distract herself, but her nerves betrayed her focus.

She could feel his every muscle ripple beneath her, every breath he took, every heartbeat that echoed against her spine. It was a sensation she couldn't ignore, an unwelcome intrusion into her personal space.

Shoug tried to focus on the scenery, the wind whipping her scarf, the sun painting streaks of gold across the vast expanse of the desert. But Badr's presence was a constant distraction, a persistent reminder of their shared ride, their unavoidable closeness.

To distract herself, Shoug's gaze fell on the knights ahead of them. It was then she permitted herself to think of each man. Jabbir, the friend: the companion she had heard of back when Faris had married Raghad. Jabbir was like a watchful shadow of Badr even when the moon was high in the sky; Jabbir stood and watched with attention, ready to spring to action at Badr's command. Even now, Shoug's horse's rein was in his hand.

Khalfan, who attacked Shoug at Badr's orders, never once lifted his gaze to her. Badr had mentioned he trusted Khalfan with his life, and she wanted to believe his belief.

Saif. He could not speak, or at least this is the impression Shoug got from the little time she had to study them. He was leading them; apparently, Saif understood the desert like the back of his palm.

Dhiyab: a man rather large in size; often reminded Shoug of Nasser, her sibling. A small, almost invisible smile teased her lips. However, a dangerous energy seemed to wrap Dhiyab in a cloak.

And then there were Omer and Thamir; these two always flocked together, and even now, their horses cantered close to each other. It almost seemed like Thamir was protecting Omer just as Jabbir was protecting Badr.

The wind bit and whipped against Shoug's face; she felt a chill run down her spine despite Badr's warmth. The sun, usually a scorching orb of heat in these lands, was now a pale orb hovering above the horizon, casting long, ominous shadows that danced across the parched earth. The distant mountains on the horizon, painted in purples and blues, stood against the encroaching darkness.

"Are you cold?" Badr whispered in her ear, and Shoug almost leaped out of her skin.

"As dusk approaches, the wind is unbearable." She admitted no need to conceal it when he could see her shiver.

Badr inhaled. "Here, wear this." After a moment, she saw him let go of the rein; his right hand then moved towards his head. Badr unfastened his headdress and brought it before Shoug's eyes. "I do not want you to catch a cold."

Shoug gaped at the red, white headdress, then moved her head right, tilted back to look at him, but Badr was looking ahead. "And if you catch a cold, Badr, no one will lead your knights."

She felt a flush creep up her cheeks, a mix of embarrassment and frustration. She had always prided herself on her composure, her ability to remain calm and collected under any circumstances. But this situation was different.

"Do not fret over my health, Shoug. I am a knight. These barren lands are my home." With that, he dropped his headdress on Shoug's lap.

Slowly, Shoug grabbed Badr's headdress and swathed it around her shoulders. She swallowed when the warmth of the headdress seeped through her cloak.

The sun hung low on the horizon, its intense rays casting long shadows across the rippling sand. Whatever little heat there was began to wane, replaced by a more temperate glow as the desert prepared for the chilly embrace of the night.

Suddenly, an eerie silence hung in the air, broken only by the rhythmic clatter of hooves of Badr's knights against the rocky terrain. Shoug felt Badr stiffen, and her stomach tightened into knots. A sharp, pungent odor invaded Shoug's senses, striking a primal fear deep within her. Shoug's heart pounded in her chest as she instinctively scanned the desolate landscape, searching for the source of this morbid scent.

The knights before her slowed their canter, scanning the vast land for anything queer. Badr's arms around her went rigid. Something was wrong.

"What is this stench?" She murmured.

"Death." His voice caused a cold shiver to slither down her spine like a snake.

"What?" Shoug sat straighter if that was even possible.

"Someone was here before us." Shoug's gaze settled upon a rocky outcrop a hundred yards ahead. As they drew closer, a gruesome sight unfolded before her eyes that caused Shoug to shrink away, her back coming in contact with Badr's chest.

Bodies lay strewn across the barren landscape, their twisted forms telling a tragic tale of violence. The desert was decorated with puddles of blood, and the lifeless figures bore expressions frozen in the agony of their final moments. Up ahead, vultures circled, its ominous presence adding to the macabre scene.

As Shoug's gaze moved further, a dreadful display came into view. Heads, severed from their lifeless bodies, were impaled on crude stakes rising from the desert floor. The faces, twisted in pain, conveyed the brutality of the act. The ghastly assembly served as a chilling testament to the savagery that had transpired, a warning to any who dared approach just hours before they arrived.

The stark contrast between the vast, empty desert and the brutal scene created an unsettling tableau. The silence that enveloped the area seemed to magnify the horror as if the earth recoiled from the violence that had wrought upon it.

Despite all that, Badr and his men kept getting closer. Shoug wanted to scream at him, to remind him of the peril that lay ahead, but she had given her word to be strong and not be a burden anymore, which is why she bit on her tongue with such strength she could taste blood.

She swallowed hard, trying to suppress the wave of nausea that threatened to overwhelm her. The cold night air seemed to seep into Shoug's bones, mirroring the chill that had settled in her heart at the sight and smell of death.

Suddenly, the previous forgotten exhaustion returned tenfold, and Shoug slumped back, almost giving in to the darkness lurking behind her eyes. "Shoug." Badr's stunned voice reached her; it was as if he had just now realized she was on his horse.

In a swift and protective gesture, Badr reached and then gently placed his hand over her eyes, shielding her from the hellish sight. "Don't watch," he murmured, his touch reassuring amid chaos. His palm, a barrier between her and the unfolding tragedy, blocked the massacre that sought to invade her senses. She felt the warmth of his hand, a grounding presence amid the turmoil.

"You must not watch." His voice sounded rigid now, enraged. It was a momentary refuge, a small act of compassion in the face of overwhelming circumstances. In that shared vulnerability, the world outside dimmed, if only for a moment, as they navigated the tumult together.

Shoug did not have the strength to ask; she closed her eyes, but they kept opening behind Badr's palm as they passed the massacre, and the foul odor was unbearable. "Who would commit such a horrendous crime? Who would mutilate the bodies of humans with such brutality?" She croaked in a tiny voice, unable to raise her voice as cold sweat dotted her nape.

Badr was quiet for a while; they passed the scene, and Shoug moved her head to the left so she would not witness the horrifying sight. "The wolf pack."

Eyes still closed tight, Shoug probed. "The wolf pack?"

The Rashideen knight clenched his jaw. He did not wish for Shoug to witness such a horrifying sight. Why on earth did Saif direct them to this path? Were the wolf pack nearby? He needed to warn his knights before they crossed paths.

A rare dread coiled its head in Badr's core, and he felt his insides crumple. What if his knights were unable to fight this deranged group of men? Would he be able to shield Shoug?

"Who are they?" Badr heard Shoug's voice; he could still feel her quiver. The exhaustion had taken a toll on her body, and now witnessing countless bodies ripped to shreds, scattered around the land pushed her over the edge.

He remained silent. He did not want this life for Shoug. She was already living in constant trepidation, yet having another enemy on their tail was not what Badr wished for her.

"Who are they, Badr? Who are they to have you behave in such a manner?" Shoug positioned her hand over his, covering her eyes.

"The wolf pack is just as notorious as Harib, the man we both wish to kill. These men are known as a group who do not obey any sheikh or leader. They wander these lands to search for men like Harib, and their main intent is to terminate them," Badr paused, looking over his shoulder at the massacre they left behind. "In the most bloodthirsty manner. If some ponder crossing Harib is dangerous, then confronting the wolf pack is as if you inscribed an accord with your demise."

Badr heard Shoug gasp, and he clenched his jaw tighter. "Do they terminate everyone in their path or men like Harib?"

"We do not know, but we do know that the wolf pack has been leaving a trail of blood over the past six moons." Badr's brow creased.

"Have you crossed paths with them?" Shoug removed his hand from her eyes.

Again, Badr remained silent. He did not wish to disclose to her; then again, Shoug journeyed alongside him, and she had the right to know and comprehend these situations.

"Yes." That was all he said.

"Jabbir." Badr hollered, loud enough for his companion to hear. Jabbir raised his right hand but did not turn back to see them as Shoug was still on Badr's horse. "We must haste before dusk is upon us. We must not cross the wolf pack."

Just as the words left him, Badr's knights urged their horses to ride fast, and soon, Badr felt the wind whiz past them at an alarming speed. Badr, against his will, had to encase his left hand around Shoug's midriff to prevent her from toppling over; meanwhile, his right held the rein in such a tight grip that his knuckles turned white.

He was mistaken to bring Shoug in this chaos. This voyage and danger at every corner were not what he wished for her. Badr needed to find somewhere safe for her to rest. He must leave her behind and search for Harib if she were to live.

They rode for a while, and just as the sun touched the mountain peak, Badr caught sight of a small nomad group near a cluster of trees on a plain land.

"Khalfan," Badr called again, and he knew the man heard him. "Ride ahead of us. Request them to permit us a night to rest under their mercy. We merely need one tent while the rest can seek refuge under the sky." Badr ordered, knowing Khalfan was eloquent with his speech, and the nomads would graciously reward him.

Khalfan urged his horse ahead, and Badr watched as he moved farther away. He slowed his horse to a trot. "Shoug, bear with me. In sha Allah, we shall find shelter soon." He promised.

"No," her exhausted voice reached him. "We must carry on. We need to reach Harib."

A melancholy smile appeared on his lips. Badr dropped his gaze, and his eyes landed on her. He shook his head. Badr knew that Shoug had no idea how strong-willed she was to journey with knights. Badr had seen men wither away in such a journey, and yet, she was willing to proceed despite her body plummeting to exhaustion.

Her unbending support towards Raghad had been the cause for Badr to visualize her as his spouse. However, Badr was too late in making Shoug his bride, and now that she was in his arms, Badr could never envision her alongside him, for she belonged to Gaith, and he would ride to the end of the world to uncover Harib so that she is gifted some peace.

At this, the wind swayed, encasing Badr in its cloak, causing the descending sun to crane its neck, attempting to shed the last of its warmth on the Rashideen.

It was then, for the first time since Shoug sat on his horse, that Badr glimpsed how her scarf caressed her face and that a few small strands of hair had escaped her scarf from the journey.

Shoug was exhausted!

"It is almost dusk and unwise for us to travel." Badr removed his hand from her midriff, and Shoug sat straight.

The tents came closer to them. "Shoug," Badr called softly.

"Yes."

"I do not want my men to see your hair," When Badr voiced the words, Shoug's hand shot to her scarf.

Badr watched from the corner of his eye as she fixed her scarf. "We may not be fortunate enough again. Use this opportunity to sleep."

"You ponder they will permit us refuge?"

"If it were only my men, no, but I have you, and they will bestow us this mercy."

"What about you then?"

"What of me?"

"You must rest as well."

Badr smiled. "Bint-al-halal, I will rest assured when you get your sleep."

Badr pulled the rein, and Barq came to a halt. With the grace of an eagle, Badr dismounted and then faced Shoug. He looked up at her. She was watching him with weary eyes. "Let me assist you?"

Shoug nodded.

The weariness etched across Shoug's face was evident. Dark clouds clung to the delicate skin beneath her eyes, casting a subtle but poignant contrast to the paleness of her complexion. The exhaustion she carried seemed to manifest itself in the haunting depths of those eyes, like noiseless echoes of countless sleepless nights.

The once spirited sparkle in her eyes had dulled, replaced by a wearied gaze that hinted at the weight of obligations and the toll of relentless demands. Each shadow bore witness to the battles fought within her.

Badr swallowed, then extended his hands. His left hand held hers, and his right hand landed gently on her waist. Shoug swung her leg over the horse's back, preparing to dismount. The knight helped her down, his hand lingering on her waist for a moment longer than necessary. It wasn't a possessive touch but one of support, guiding her safely to the ground. Shoug stepped down, her sandals sinking into the soft sand, staggering a little.

"Just a little while longer." Badr ensured, and they moved towards where his men had dismounted, a few feet away from the nomad tents and trees.

Badr's men finally turned to him upon his approach. "Are we welcomed for the night?"

Khalfan took a step forward from the group. "It was not easy, especially since all men are heavily armed. They wish to see if we truly have a woman amongst us."

Badr nodded again, "I knew it would not be this straightforward," and then turned to look at Shoug, who stood behind me. "Forgive me; this may take a while longer. Can you escort me to speak with their leader?"

Badr watched as Shoug attempted not to look at the men. They both knew everyone was waiting for her response. "In sha Allah."

Without any hesitation, Badr grabbed Shoug's right hand in his and stepped towards the tents. His gaze landed on three men standing guard at the mouth of the tents.

"As Salamu Alikum." Badr greeted.

"Wa alikum as salam." Came a collective reply.

Badr attempted to eclipse his frown when he felt the tremble in Shoug's hand. He let go of her hand and stepped forward, shielding Shoug's form with his. "I apologize for trespassing. I am Badr Rashideen, prince of the Rashideen tribe, son of Sheikh Faisal. I am on a journey with my knights. However, unfortunately, my spouse is under the weather, and we have come to seek refuge for the night."

"Greetings, son of Rashideen. I am the leader of this tribe. My name is Ahmed." One of them began; he wore a black thobe, his beard dusted with gray.

Badr watched as the three men glanced at each other. "What business do you have in these barren lands far from the Rashideen tribe?" The younger one demanded, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"I wish to locate a man," Badr stated, looking the man in the eye to show his sincerity.

"Who is this man you wish to locate?" The first man asked, his tone cautious.

Badr looked down. "Wallahi, ya Sheikh, I cannot divulge such knowledge."

Silence followed as the men glanced at each other and then at Badr. The first man stepped forward, and Badr stiffened. His shoulders pulled back, ready to strike.

Eagle of Knights watched as the man came closer. He was unarmed, but Badr saw a glint of a dagger hidden under his thobe. The man stopped before Badr, and they stared at each other.

"I met your father, Sheikh Faisal. My people suffered from sickness, and I did not have the wealth to shoulder them. Sheikh Faisal gifted me a hundred sheep and clothes when I knocked on the door."

Badr's eyes widened ever so slightly at the information. His hands clenched as he recalled the warm blood of his father on his hands, under his nails. Swallowing hard, he gave the man a single nod.

"You have my hospitality, and you have it for as many nights as you desire, prince. I must return Sheikh Faisal his benevolence." The man's wrinkled hand landed on Badr's shoulder, and he tensed.

They did not know of Sheikh Faisal's demise.

"You have my gratitude," Badr responded. He could not inform the man that Sheikh Faisal was gone, and Badr was too late to protect him.

"Come, my child. Allow me to show you to your tent." The man then smiled at them.

Badr did not look back; he knew his men observed, and they would follow. Eagle of knights took a step forward, waited until Shoug stood next to him, and proceeded to follow the leader of the nomad tribe.

Badr's sharp gaze took in their tents, woven from the wool of their sheep and goats, and stood like colorful dots against the desert. Jand trees, tall and proud, provided shade and sustenance for the people and animals.

A sudden image of his tribe displayed in his brain, and Badr bit the inside of his mouth. As they walked into the small tribe, people stopped to gap at them. Badr caught sight of women cooking over open fires, their nimble fingers weaving intricate patterns into rugs and clothing. Children played in the sand, their laughter echoing across the land. Menfolk, their faces weathered by the harsh sun and wind, tended to their herds as dark approached.

They came to a halt when the call to prayer sounded. "This shall be your tent, ya Badr," the man pointed to a tent on their right. "Your men shall have tents by the mouth of the tribe. We have some of our warriors resting there as well."

"You have my gratitude, Sheikh Ahmad." Badr expressed. The man beamed and walked away, leaving the groom with his bride.

"Do you think they trust us enough to leave us unattended?" Shoug asked, looking around.

Badr shook his head. "No. They do not: that is why Sheikh Ahmed commented that my knights are to rest with his warriors." He moved to face her. "We must get you to pray and rest."

It was Shoug who nodded this time.

They entered the medium-sized tent. The air was warm and filled with the faint scent of smoke and clove. The lantern filtered, casting a soft glow on the intricate patterns woven into the carpets that covered the floor. In the center, a fire crackled merrily in a low hearth, casting dancing shadows on the walls. A colorful fabric hung strategically to partition different sections, creating a sense of privacy within the shared space marked by thick, handwoven rugs and blankets.

Badr did not know if he could share the same roof with Shoug. He could not sleep. His nightmares haunted him, and he did not wish to be near anyone at night. "You must perform ablution," Badr pointed to the water in a mud pot over the fire. "I will see to my men."

When he took a few steps, Badr came to a halt.

"I will save water for your ablution as well."

Without looking back, he responded. "Do not wait for me." With that, he departed from the tent, leaving Shoug behind.

*

Shoug walked to the hearth and sank to her knees. Her legs were heavy, each step a monumental effort. Her throat was parched, and her lips were cracked and dry. Her vision blurred, and she felt a wave of nausea rise in her stomach, threatening to spill over.

Tears welled up in her eyes, blurring her vision even further. Shoug felt as if she was at her limit, her reserve finally depleting as memories of the bodies and blood resurfaced. Despair threatened to engulf her, the vast emptiness of the desert mirroring the emptiness she felt within.

How would she survive this journey? The sight of blood and gore had nearly pushed her to darkness, and she willed herself to kill Harib.

Foolish of her!

But then, a flicker of defiance sparked within her. She recalled why she had undertaken this arduous journey, the reasons she had propelled herself to her limits. The memory of her Gaith, his face etched in her mind, gave her a renewed surge of strength.

With a deep breath, she pulled herself to her feet, her resolve hardening with each shaky step. She would not let the desert defeat her. She would find her way and become Badr's strength, even if it meant crawling on her hands and knees.

Shoug grabbed the mud pot and performed ablution on the sand where the fire crackled. Shoug performed her maghrib prayer, and just as she loosened her scarf, a woman's voice greeted her. "Salamu Alikum, binty."

"Wa alikum as salam." Shoug responded, her eyes taking in the petite woman standing by the mouth of the tent. She let go of the flap and walked in. "I am Khadeja, Sheikh Ahmad's sister. The one who tends to our guests."

"You have our gratitude."

"I could not believe it when Bu Hammad notified me that a woman journeys with those fierce-looking warriors, and now that I have seen you, you look miserable, binty." She came to sit before Shoug by the fire, a warm and gentle look in her eyes.

"I apologize. We did not mean to cause any inconvenience." Shoug dropped her gaze to her hands entwined on her lap.

The aging woman tsked. "La, ya binty. We are nomads. We have sheltered many, such as yourself. I hear you travel with your spouse?"

Shoug looked up and nodded.

"He must not feed you well." She chuckled.

"No, it isn't like that." Shoug defended.

The woman laughed again. "You do not wish me to criticize your spouse."

Shoug did not reply to that.

"Here, take these." the woman pushed a jalabiya towards Shoug. "Wear this for now. In sha Allah: in the morning, I shall prepare water for a bath."

Shoug took the thick purple jalabiya from her hands. "Thank you."

"You can change in that corner. I shall wait here for you." The woman encouraged.

Shoug stared at her for a while. She wanted to close her eyes and sleep. However, the notion of having a clean jalabiya caused her to stand, move to the sleeping partition, drop the flap, and change.

Once dressed into the new jalabiya, Khadeeja took Shoug's dress from her and promised to wash and return it by daybreak. They sat there for a while, and Shoug could feel the woman staring at her in utter curiosity.

When she looked up again, Khadeeja beamed. "Your hair is knotted. I aid my daughters with their plaits. Would you want me to aid you?"

"La, Khalti. I can manage." She returned the smile as her heart clenched. The woman's eyes reminded her of her mother, and Shoug surpassed a shudder.

Khadeeja placed her right hand over Shoug's entwined ones. "Binty, when you reach my age, your eyes notice things others fail to do so. I can see despair in yours," she squeezed her hands. "You are my guest, and I shall do my best to accommodate your needs."

Shoug cleared her clogged throat. "Do as you wish, Khalti."

Khadeeja laughed, and then her weathered hands that told tales of countless braids gently motioned for Shoug to sit before her. A gentle breeze carried the scent of desert tiptoed into the tent, creating a tranquil ambiance that enveloped the two women sitting cross-legged on a woven rug.

Khadeeja began the ritual, fingers deftly working through Shoug's hair. Her long hair cascading in loose waves down her back yielded willingly to the practiced touch. Khadeeja's hands moved with a steady grace, weaving a dance of strands.

"Would you permit me to ask you a question?" Shoug whispered. She wanted to know if the tribe knew of the wolf pack or if they had encountered such monsters.

"Of course, binty."

Shoug inhaled a shuddering breath. "During our journey here, we came across a rather appalling sight."

If Shoug were not savoring the gentle touch of Khadeeja's motherly fingers, she would have missed the slight pause of her fingers. "What is it that you witnessed?"

"Massacre, done by people who call themselves the wolf pack," Shoug whispered, afraid the memories would surface again if she spoke louder.

"I knew you would cross their doings. Those men are an enigma. They are extremely dangerous. However, Alhamdulilah, they do not target the nomads. Their foe is only those who loot and murder."

"Has your tribe encountered them?" Shoug moved her chin to the left.

After a short moment, Khadeeja sighed. "Yes."

"And you survived?"

"If these men have nothing to do with your voyage, you must not ponder over them, ya binty."

"Shoug. My name is Shoug, daughter of Sheikh Mubarak."

"Then, daughter of the Borkan, do not fret over matters that do not concern you; it would do you no good."

"I just do not under_" Shoug stopped when someone cleared their throat, and a heartbeat later, Badr's form emerged by the tent's mouth. Shoug felt her body stiffen. She commenced to stand but remembered that Khadeeja was working on the final strands.

Shoug watched as Badr's body went rigid for a while; his eyes landed on her. She watched as he took in her hair, her jalabiya, then back into her eyes.

"Salamu alikum." Badr moved his eyes from Shoug and she commenced to breathe again.

"Wa alikum as salam, my son." Khadeeja replied with a smile in her voice. "I was just telling Shoug why her spouse would permit her on this deranged journey. Look at her, ya Badr, your Shoug is exhausted."

Shoug's eyes met his once again, and his gaze lingered there for a while. "This journey is for her sake, Ummi."

Her eyelashes fluttered at the words. Indeed, she had asked to join Badr in this voyage.

"I do not think a woman should journey these harsh barren lands. What would you commit once she bares your offspring."

Shoug felt crimson blood tingle in her cheeks and dropped her gaze. She could feel Badr's eagle-like eyes on her. "By then, ya Ummi, I shall return her safely home." There was a promise in his voice, a promise Shoug could not comprehend.

Offsprings.

Shoug swallowed. She did not ponder that there would come a day when she would give him offspring; for her, this matrimony was all about locating Gaith's killer and avenging him.

Khadeeja laughed. With a final, gentle pat on Shoug's shoulder, she dropped the plait on Shoug's right shoulder and stood up. Just when she stepped towards Badr who remained by the entrance, a young girl came in, holding a wooden tray of food.

"Ah! Right on time. I was about to go and see why they were late with Shoug's repast." Khadeeja stood before Badr, and Shoug watched how the tiny woman had to look up to meet Badr's gaze.

"You must eat. Tonight's feast is from the sheep your father, Sheikh Faisal, gifted Sheikh Ahmad."

Shoug bit her bottom lip at the look appearing on Badr's face. He seemed tormented as if the memory of his father haunted him.

"In sha Allah, I will." He attempted to beam.

Khadeeja took the tray from the little girl and gave it to Badr. "Make sure she eats too." With that and a final smile towards Shoug, Khadeeja departed the tent, leaving Shoug with Badr.

Shoug grabbed her scarf from her side and draped it over her head. She knew Badr was her spouse; he had the right to see her without a scarf, but Shoug could not do it. Not yet.

"I spoke to my knights," Badr's voice brought her out of her trance. She watched as he stopped before her, then sank from his height to sit cross-legged in front of her. He did not have his weapons on him, and his hair brushed against his shoulder. Badr placed the tray of food between them. "I have decided that we shall remain in this tribe for a few nights."

"What, la ya Badr. We must resume. I understand you seek the help of this nomad tribe for my sake. I cannot prolong this." A sudden panic grabbed her.

Badr peered at her, his eyes taking her in. "It is unwise to roam these lands without the knowledge of Harib's hideaway. I do not wish to exhaust my men and the horses. This tribe is generous enough to shelter us, and we shall welcome it."

His poise and astute words brought a frown to her face. Shoug knew he was doing this because of her. She was on the verge of losing consciousness, and Badr did not wish for her to be a burden more than she already was.

"But, Badr," Shoug paused when he raised his palm gently.

"You need your rest, Shoug. By Allah, I will never forgive myself if any harm comes your way. You must listen to me."

With a sigh, Shoug looked away from him to the lantern that burned on the other side of the tent. This was getting more chaotic than she pondered.

"Here, take this." Shoug looked at him, then at his right hand outstretched between them over the tray. There sat a dagger in his palm, a dagger she had seen before, and warm tears swell in her eyes. "I know Faris gave you a dagger, but this belonged to Gaith. I wish for you to have it. It belongs to you now, Shoug."

With a shaky hand, Shoug took the dagger from him and brought it to her lap. Memories rushed to her as she recalled when Gaith had visited her wearing the same dagger around his waist.

"You have my gratitude." Shoug's hoarse voice hissed past her cracked lips.

"Yalla, we must eat. I do not want to waste the sheep of the Rashideen tribe."

When she looked at him again, Badr was smiling, and for the first time since she asked him to marry her, Shoug felt her heart beat a little faster, just a little.

**

5340 words! WOW!

More scenes between Badr and Shoug are coming! Prepared to be dazzled.

Leave your comments, I LOVE to read them.

Follow me on Instagram queens_realm to get the latest updates and edits

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

45.4K 3.4K 31
In a kingdom--Dhahab kingdom--where as a Grown man, the number of scars on your body shows how strong and powerful you're, exists Jawad bin Tariq al...
1.2M 57.5K 50
Arina Khan, a 20 years old Muslimah in her 2nd year of English literature, striving to become a better Muslimah,living in the Bustling New York Cit...
667K 34.4K 48
Highest in Spiritual:#2 What's Hot (27/05/17) (Book One in The Sheikh's Brides Series) Zuhaiba is the daughter of of tribe and the eldest sister.She...
132K 7.5K 42
He is funny jokes. She is shy smiles. He is sarcastic. She is logistic. He finds positives in life. She finds negatives in life. He is a playgr...