Darkness And Desolation

By Petal-Edge

The indelible tale of Revenge and Remorse, Delusion and Deception, Ataraxy and Agony, Belief and Bully, Endea... More

A Note With Pen
01. Out Of The Blue
02. A Closed Book
03. A Dim View
04. Overshot The Mark
05. In High And Dry
06. Error In The Ways
07. Knocked Sideways
08. On The Wrong Track
09. Winds Of Change
10. In A Quandary
11. Roll Of The Dice
12. A Change Of Tunes
13. Making A Comeback
14. A Dice With Death
15. All In A Fog
16. On Pins And Needles
18. A Change Of Scenery

17. Chained In The Dock

76 10 7
By Petal-Edge

********

"I think your brain needs a pro mechanic Iyaad. Do you know what you're getting into?" Zaima nearly scolded as she watched her son with a blend of anxiousness and vexation.

"Yes, and I don't think there's anything bad in it. It's just for few days." He spoke undauntedly as if talking about flying a kite in air.

"It's not just for few days thing smart boy, it's about a murder case. Do you know how your father will react on it?" She herself wasn't aware if the sole cause of her agitation was her husband's reaction or the case.

"Who doesn't know that? His only reaction to everything is roaring like a dinosaur."

"Iyaad!" She was in no joking mood that time.

"What's the need to panic? It's not like I've brought her here forever. I told you her brother left in emergency and the day he returns, Ayzel will be gone too... Now don't you always say we should be kind to people... especially of our country and religion?" Iyaad's convincing car took a shortcut route in the end, more like forcing his words into her mouth.

"You should, but that doesn't mean disobeying your father and pushing him into unnecessary trouble. You can arrange any hotel for her, it's still a kind idea."

Zaima nearly dragged his car back but it instead slipped off the bridge when his head shook in a flat denial.

"No, it's not a safe one." Zaima's eyes squinted at him.

"How?"

"Mummy, her friend's murdered in front of her and she's badly traumatized at the moment. I can shift her to the hotel but there's no one to care for her there."

Iyaad's attempt to decorate the conversation with some emotions failed when Zaima took a realistic turn.

"And who'll take care of her here? All the maids leave by nine at night." She spoke in a satiated manner as if assured it was a valid excuse.

"No worries, I've already arranged one nurse for her. She'll be here from tomorrow." His words were casual but still he could see the leftover glow on her face melting down to zero at his audacity.

Arranged a nurse?

"Iyaad you seriously don't consider taking your father's permission in any matter? That girl might be saved after the case, but you won't."

His confession definitely stroke like a current to her. Iyaad gripped another audacity of still giving an insisting nod to her.

"I will be, if my momi wants..." Zaima hardly controlled herself from rolling her eyes at his chivvy attitude.

Uff! This boy...

"And how is that?"

"Look, I've already talked to the guards outside but you can better convince them and others in your way. There's more than a week in Papa's return and if only you can support me for some days, he'll never know about if we keep a whole town here.. Bet me, we'll all be safe." His persuasive quality really led Zaima to contemplate over his suggestion.

Come-on, just give in!

"And then, my conscience really disturbs if I don't help someone in need, especially a friend."

He once again tried to blend some emotions which only brought her motherly gaze to scan his phiz for a second and her arms folded across her chest.

"You know I don't understand if the matter's of friendship or religion or countrymate... or something else?" The question was delivered cryptically and succeeded in stumping his mind as his eyes blinked.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that.
He instantly regretted.

"I guess it's all of them. Now, I don't know what comes in 'something else'." He nevertheless secured himself and she knew he was deliberately being nescient to her last words.

"Okay fine, but not a day more after your few days... Promise?" She allowed, watching his visage gladdening up to one step.

"Are you sure? I'm never too good at keeping promises." He still needed a solid verification of her permission.

"Well then your genius mind can guess the result too. Now go and fresh up." She gave a pat to his arm, finalizing his doubt that brought a childlike smile on his visage.

"Yes!" He fist bumped the air before embracing his mother in thanks, which she only responded with some more pats. Her mind was still worried.

"There's another thing to ask."

Just when he was about to take a twirl to leave, she made him look back at her with a 'hmm?'.

"Why're you so overly warm-hearted for your friends emotional boy? Don't you see a life beyond them?" Her tone was warmly cordial this time as she judged into his eyes, the eyes that were void of any mischief now.

There was silence unless he spoke.

"I don't know, If I see beyond them, I'm only met with an empty house... and that scares me."

Zaima could not grab his words properly and before she could further pester him, her dark brown orbs watched him as he smiled and treaded away, leaving her behind to wonder if he had put the blame on her.

Was he really born that way? Or was it that silent loneliness he felt somewhere inside him that he always tried to hide?

She sighed with exhaustion and could not decipher if she should be angry at the situation, anxious for her husband or appreciative to her son's kindness, but the one fact her tangled mind had perceived well was that...

Life can't really be a bed of roses when you've an unruly minded son like that!

On the other hand, Ayzel was seated on the southern edge of the bed. Her fists were unconsciously clenching the bedsheets on either side of her and her moist eyes carried a universe of terror as they darted at different spots of the unfamiliar room. After arranging the room and settling her in, Miss Kathy had left for her house, leaving her on her own.

Her breathes were running on an unbalanced track by the unbearably hellish thoughts that had been racking her brain since days. No matter how much she endeavored, the indellible scenario of Huda's death just couldn't tire out from agonizing her.

A lone tear finally decepted her orb and began cascading down her cheek and before her condition could worsen, a gentle knock on the door nearly trembled her inside out.

"Ayzel, are you asleep?"

Her fingers reflexively moved to wipe her damp cheek when she heard him, but the prior anger didn't allow her to reply him back.

Was it really anger? Or was it fear?
Her emotions failed to decide.

"I brought you something, can you open for a minute?" The door was inflicted with another knock but this time, his last sentence multiplied the rising agitation within her.

What should I do? Should I open... or should I just pretend to be asleep?

"I know you're awaken and you can say if you don't wanna open. I won't mind." He sounded easygoing by the politeness in his tone but Ayzel's irises were still unsettlingly dancing around as she reflected on what to do.

On the other side, Iyaad's eyes were too traveling here and there on the patterns of the chocolate hued door as he waited for her to open but when he couldn't sense anything except silence, the devil took his chance to horrify him.

No response, no sound, no crying, no yelling... Has she committed suicide?— No, it's not possible, she isn't that foolish... or maybe is...

"Hey listen Ayzi, don't die inside ok! I can't afford any case on me—"

His knock slightly intensified and an upheaval amount of worry leaped at him but before it could sprout out any drop of sweat on his phiz, the door handle was twisted and Ayzel pulled it open while glaring at him. He finally sighed while positioning his hands on his waist, displaying a double anger than hers.

"You know I was about to call your bro back for your dumbness. I have ears to hear you ok?" He pointed at his ear whilst watching her with anger until his gaze took notice of her arm that was supported by the door to help keeping her stand.

"Now sit somewhere before you—" Before he could complete, she sliced his sentence midways.

"You wanted to give something?" She still seemed far from the mood of obeying him. Iyaad blinked at her iciness before shrugging his shoulders.

Whatever, It's not like I was gonna wobble and fall.

"Yep, I brought you some clothes..." He bent down to lift up three medium sized shoppping bags from the floor; his angry mode already passing away.

"Your brother asked me to buy you a few things until he comes back.. since your everything's still in hostel..." Her eyes narrowed as he extended them to her.

The stuffed condition of the bags were stridently testifying that he was actually insulting the word 'few'.

"Now I didn't know what type would be comfortable for you, so I just bought what felt better... Take." With a genuine smile, he shook his hands a bit, compelling her to take but she was lost in feeling back her senses.

"No, I-I don't want them." She managed to answer and moved the door in a gesture of shutting it soon.

"Keep it yaar (friend), so later you won't complain to your brother against my hospitality."

Ignoring her self reliance issues, he stepped ahead and bending down, placed the bags by the skirting of the room beside the door, startling her who involuntarily stepped a foot back. He had not spent a healthy amount of time after university in the markets for her to reject the items.

"And also, wanna eat something? Miss Kathy's gone, so I can bring you some food here." He offered as he straightened himself and Ayzel shook her head as she burned with a little blue flame.

How long is his list of 'Something'?

"No, thank you... I already ate with Bhai before coming here."

Iyaad at last gulped at the flatness of her tone and he could tell she was climbing anxiety due to his presence.

Someone just teach me how to deal with such Hard-headed people!

"Okay, but look here, that's mummy's room. You can tell her if you need anything—" He pointed at the door where Zaima's room was before his finger travelled in air to point upstairs.

"And there's my room up straight on the right. If you feel like talking to a rich brat, then you can knock there too." He directed, even knowing she would prefer to die than reaching there. Ayzel simply mutely nodded at each direction, all nonchalant to his words.

Like I have a heart to talk to anyone.
She hissed inside her.

"Come-on, now go inside. Don't think anything foul and try to take a good sleep ok?" He was suddenly in his elderly teacher's mode and she robotically nodded.

"Ok."

"Good and good night then, bye!"

Unwilling to scratch her distress some more, he silently retracted his steps back before twirling around and guiding his steps to his room, leaving behind a desolated soul who despite feeling alleviated at his leave, felt somewhere a bit scared by the loneliness too.

She closed the door, picked up the shopping bags one by one, and treaded towards the bed. Settling herself over it, she started checking on the items Iyaad had given her...

There were nearly ten packets of plain Kurta Pajama suit belonging to a uniquely elegant category and shades. The suits were not much ornated but the extravagant fabric, the Brand's tag and the lavish packaging patently spoke that they were pricey enough to be no less than 80 dollars each.

Furthermore, there were some sets of scarves, a smartphone and a pair of pumps too. He knew the sneakers would not be a healthy choice for her injured feet. Ayzel's orbs shut and her irritation shot to the sky.

How much more will she feel indebted by Iyaad? How many favors she has to take more?— Will she ever be able to pay him back?

Her fingers rubbed her phiz after releasimg the packets and it took a great effort for her to calm herself down. She couldn't decipher it was Jasaar leaving her here without her will that angered her more or receiving unwanted favors from Iyaad. Both sides of the situation were mirroring equal unfairness to Ayzel.

Jerking her head to escape the endless concatenation of thoughts, she reset the stuff back before placing the bags down the bed. The dim golden light of the nightstand still granted limelight to the items as Ayzel turned on the other side and struggling through the injuries, managed to tuck herself inside the quilt.

Tomorrow was the first hearing of the case and she surely knew that she wasn't prepared for it. Never in her entire lifetime had she imagined there would come a time when she would be in drastic need of her family, yet she would have no one... no one except a stranger.

She shut the shutter of her eyes even tightly. Iyaad was right, she shouldn't allow any foul thought to overcome her senses right now. With the newborn determination, she kept her eyes closed for few minutes before her anguished mind finally escaped into the demulcent valley of slumber.

********

"According to the submitted evidences and investigation over the matter, we've come down to the realization that..."

The lady judge who was seated over the seat of judgement, metres away from the public gallery, spoke after minutes of analyzing through the documents presented on the desk.

Ayzel was settled on the wheelchair beside the prosecution table, where Huda's aunt and two cousins were seated, after completing her testament. The other table was occupied by the defendants who happened to be the boys' families with each one having their own expressions.

The entire courtroom was pin drop silent as everyone eagerly waited for the verdict of the case. The judge passed a sardonic glimpse at both the parties, creating an automatic suspense in the atmosphere, before finally voicing out the awaited words...

"The information provided at the moment on the desk and the testimonies of witnesses are  too complex to conclude a verdict out of it right now..."

Before anyone could even properly comprehend her sentence, a moronic chuckle resonated in the room as Cade smirked in the direction of plaintiffs from where he was standing in the witness box.

"I knew it. Seems like someone failed at bringing proper evidence huh?" Every set of eyes in the room were adhered to his phiz who was shamelessly shaking his head with pity at Huda's family.

"Silence!" The judge slammed the desk in authoritative manner, silencing him but the devilish smirk didn't exit his face.

Although he had been doing his best to pretend all nonchalant and ease with the case, yet the trepidation of imprisonment was nevertheless leaking from his demeanor. It was a matter of life and death after all and death was the one thing that could crack the attitude of even any higher than higher ranked ruler.

"I believe it'll be better if you control your attitude. Not to mention, I still have command over the case." Her voice was severely strict as she warned before intertwinding her fingers over the wooden table.

"We've heard the testimonies of Ayzel Hamdan, Cade Hudson and John Girelle. Both Cade and John agrees on the statement that the victim Huda was actually the starter of the attack and they reason it with her identity of being a Muslim. Whereas Ayzel claims that the boys had attempted to kidnap her friend from near the Lamar street and Huda had actually tried to defend herself against them that forced her to use the knife..."

She took her time in elaborating the various sides of the case and Ayzel's heart started sinking with the possibilities she mentioned. While testifying about the incident minutes earlier, her mind had been direfully scared of the matter slipping off the track for there definitely weren't sufficient proofs against Cade at all.

Ayzel's eyes involuntarily glimpsed in the direction of the audience benches where Iyaad was settled in the second row with his face in the cup of his palm as he listened to the prolonged hearing with boredom.

He literally had no interest in the case and the only thing enjoyable for him there, was to watch the shackles around his dear enemy Cade Hudson's wrists and enjoy the view. He hoped Huda would win the case but wasn't sure if he would be happy or sad on not having to see Cade in the university again; he was a tough competitor of him after all.

On acknowledging Ayzel's gaze at him, all he could do was to just pass a small thumbs up to encourage her.

"The case is provisionally postponed until the 2nd of the next month... We edict both the disputants, especially the claimants, to multiply your efforts and provide more eyewitnesses, CCTV details and blood samples from the knife, to support your claim against Cade Hudson—Dismissed."

As the dawdle clock ticked some more, all the attendants related to Huda's case exited the courtroom with Ayzel and Iyaad among them.

Crossing through the spacious reception hall, they reached the main entrance lobby and as soon as the double swing glass doors were pushed open, their steps nearly ceased to a halt and an unexpected flood of anxiety seeped down Ayzel's nerves on winessing the scene in front...

Just at the ending corner of the wide perron, a great mass of media reporters were flocked around Huda's family with upheld mics and flashing cameras to catch the live update of the case.

"Shit!" Iyaad muttered.

Maybe, it would have been better if we would wait inside for some time.

His inner voice spoke and his hands instantly motioned to set his mask and cap some more, making sure to veil his identity as much as possible. However, as the nurse drove the wheelchair down the ramp, another swarm of reporters nearly leaped towards them, uplifting Ayzel's anxiety level some more as she heard their questions...

"Miss Ayzel, how much do you believe is the possibility that you'll win the case and put Cade behind bars?..."

"How well was your relation with Huda? Do you know something about her that others don't?..."

"Can you tell us about the whereabouts of your family? Where are you staying at the moment?..."

"What would you do if you fail to prove your roommate's innocence?..."

One after the other, a perennial flight of  distressing questions were hurled at her, which Ayzel couldn't manage to respond, but succeeded in needling her like sharp arrows.

"Guys please, take some time off. She isn't ready to talk yet." 

Noticing her discomfort by the media's hounding attitude, Iyaad stepped forward to field the questions on her behalf but one after the other, the mics were suddenly held up at him this time.

"Can you tell us what's your connection with her? Are you her brother?" One of the reporters swiftly asked, receiving the answer even swiftly...

"Are you?" He counter questioned and the reporter felt stuck at the awkward question.

"No."

"Then what would you do by asking me that? Now move." He continued walking only to securely lead her wheelchair out of the press zone.

An entire commotion had been built up at the venue. However, Ayzel remained silent throughout the plight. Her eyes were adhered somewhere at a distance of about 90 feet where under the daylight and high alert security, she could envision four police officers escorting Cade to the police van to drive him back to lock-up.

An inexorable sensation of rage and revenge sparked inside her, but fused right away when Iyaad and the reporters unconsciously hindered the view.

Unwilling to create any mess, she dropped her gaze to her palms and waited as Iyaad kept paving the way for the nurse to drive Ayzel's wheelchair over the expansively interlocked area and after strenous amount of effort, he successfully managed to ridden themselves from the endless string of inquisition and fetched the first taxi that appeared in view.

********

The chilled zephyrs of early September were monotonously exploring the city. The gleaming city lights were bright as usual, but the heaven beneath the horizon was shadowed by an inscrutable darkness that night, indicating the clock had been ticking somewhere between eleven to twelve o'clock. A perfectly serene night.

Behind a tall glazed window, a medium sized and dimly lit guestroom was dipped in mellow coziness by the faint golden light of a table lamp. The ambience was all hushed and set. Anyone looking at such neatly arranged room would perceive it to be out of use but a closer look would manifest the curled up figure of a girl, sleeping calmly over the bed.

However, the sound of a very silent click on the door handle unsettled the image. The act was done with caution and a subtle push on the ebony hued door laid it open. The long glazed windows managed to reflect the shadow of a tall figure, standing at the entrance.

There was no one else around and with decisive yet reticent steps, the figure walked in, cautious not to disturb the girl's slumber. The shadow kept nearing, closer than closer, until it stood just beside the bed with its major part towering over it. There was no sound, no disturbance, but something strange in the air cracked her sleep.

With light blinks, the shutter of her eyes slightly opened and on catching the blurred image of the shadow, all the alarms in her brain instantly rang to their full. In a perplexed state, she blinked them more fervently to clear the sight and through the table light, she finally managed to detect out the form of a guy, cladded up to down in black attires gazing down at her.

His face wasn't clearly visible but through the demeanor, anyone could guess he was in his twenties. The girl's eyes widened at the ghostlike monster but before her mind could even funtion to move, he abruptly covered her mouth with his hand, murdering the opportunity to produce any sound.

Like a fish out of water, she endeavored to get up and free herself, but the force of his hand was far too greater than her injured limbs.Though his face had been wrapped in a black ski mask, but the golden shade of his eyes, which she couldn't decipher was natural or a reflection of the table light, hinted her something, horrifying her even more.

However, after about a minute, the hand was removed, allowing her lungs to instantly catch large pangs of air. He didn't motion for a moment. Once her breathes were normalized to some extent, she sat up with the speed of a bird but in the fraction of another second, he tightly gripped her neck and shoved her down again. An agonizing scream escaped out of her mouth as the wounded side of her head crashed back on the pillow.

"Tsk tsk!" A derisive chuckle resonated in the air around them as he watched her with nothing but amusement whilst muffling her breathes.

Her heart was now thumping at the height of mountains with trepidation and anxiety. Her hands once again attempted to defend herself, but it only brought more needles to the pain due to the injuries. The only thing left feeble for her now was to murmur all the prayers she could in her heart. She wasn't properly aware what was happening but through his expression, she could guess he was here for some revenge... A revenge?

The train of her breathes had started losing its track and a new image of death started dancing on the screen of her vision, which intensified when she noticed him pulling something out from his pocket and from the sharp reflection of the light on the peculiar object, she could easily see it was a knife. Her honey eyes were glistening with overwhelming tears as she persisted wriggling to somehow get rid of his hold.

Another despicable laughter hit her ears which was kept inaudible enough to reach outside. The guy waved the knife in front of her eyes mockingly before gliding it down with its edge pointing directly to her neck, and her heart almost stopped. Her lips were badly quivering from fear and hysteria but there wasn't any choice left, she was already dead tonight.

Her eyes were now silently pleading him for mercy but only received an undaunted and escalated amusement in his own ones. No way was he going to spare her. Clicking a last 'tsk' at her, he immediately twisted the knife in his hand and the next second, plunged it in her waist fiercely....

**

An earsplitting scream of Ayzel screeched the air as she flew up from her sleeping position on the bed. Her moister filled orbs immediately danced around the room to acknowledge her surrounding and her chest was heaving with uncontrollable pants.

As per anticipation, the door was locked and there was only silence inside the room but still, her ears could hear someone laughing, the same despicable laughter. Her hands instantly covered her ears while she screamed with closed eyes in a lame attempt to block those laughters.

After about a minute, when the laughs finally toned down, her eyes squized at the door and without sparing another second, she quickly hurled the quilt away and jumped down the bed. Her legs pained by the action but ignoring the injuries, she rushed towards the door and opened it before dashing out of of the room, too uncared to even wear her pumps.

All she needed at that moment was to get the hell out of that place.

**

In a completely relaxed state, Iyaad stepped in the foyer of the house after celebrating the weekend to his full. Taking a yawn, he closed the door and straight away walked inside to get to his room. The next day was the usual trip to university and he had an appreciable amount of sleep to catch on.

However, soon as he reached the edge of the staircase, a ghostlike shadow crossed his vision, causing him to slow down and turn on his left. The next thing he saw, could hardly be less horrendous than seeing any ghost.

"Ayzel?"

Ayzel was blindly and hysterically running through the villa while colliding with different objects. Iyaad's eyes froze at her with suspicion as he watched her running towards the foyer. Her eyes didn't notice him but when she was about to cross his side, his arm reached out in her path and in a trice, she crashed with it.

"Ayzel wait!"

Iyaad swiftly grabbed both of her arms to cease her steps, but the violent collision caused her to spin around before her steps tumbled and in spite of his attempt to balance her, she crash landed on the floor.

"Woah, you okay? Where are you going?!" He crouched down on one knee infront of her with both concern and confusion.

"NO, MOVE AWAY!!" Ayzel yelled on top of her lungs and violently jerked his arms away before curling two feet backwards, unless her back rested against the rear side of a slate grey sofa.

"DON'T KILL ME!! PLEASE, DON'T KILL ME..."

She pleaded through erratically broken breathes and Iyaad's mind flipped upside down.

Kill?

"Are you crazy? Why would I kill you?" His hand once again reached out to settle her down but she automatically flinched away, forcing him to freeze it in place.

"Because I'm Huda's friend!... I know y-you'll kill me b-because of her...!" Her lips quivered due to fear and her eyes shut to not even glance at her assumed murderer.

"You—" Iyaad stopped when he realized the actual reason of her panic.

Running at night, yelling and speaking nonsense. I know what it means...

"Look Ayzi, whatever you saw was just a nightmare. No one's coming to kill you. Look up, you're safe—" He ensured to take her out of her dreamy zone but...

"YOU'RE LYING!!"

Her yell nearly stroke the sky before she gave a violent punch at his shoulders with as much force as her frail wrists could impart, causing him to sit back. Her out of the blue assault widened his orbs and all the sleep left his mind.

Ow!

"I'VE SEEN HIM!" She blared all her guns at him while her wild eyes glared at him with their honey shade reflecting all the emotions of pain, anger, fear and he instantly realized that the wise turn right now was to remain silent.  She really resembled an Angry Cat at the moment.

"You're lying Iyaad, I've seem him... H-he had the knife, he'll k-kill me... He has killed Huda, you'll see, he'll c-come and kill me too..." Covering her eyes in the sleeves of her suit, she broke down into tears while hiding her phiz in her lap.

Iyaad couldn't decipher what to do for ensuring her. Her dark blue suit was perfectly mirroring the blues of her mind as he looked at her with pity filled eyes. Her trauma was only rising with seconds and he could only wonder which well on earth was the nurse drowned in?

"I-I don't want to stay here, I-I want to go home, WHY DON'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT?!"

He considered to call his mother to calm her down when thankfully, a door clicked open and Zaima hurried out while tying her hair in a bun. Her aura depicted she was greatly fretful by all the yellings and he could tell she had just woken up from a deep sleep.

"Who's screaming here Iyaad?"

********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 722 18
Book 3 of "His" Series One rainy night that changed his life. The night when he realized what love is. The night when he became crazy for her. The n...
2.4K 185 8
A collection of short stories ❀️
774K 45.2K 37
|ROSES AND CIGARETTES Book-I| She was someone who likes to be in her shell and He was someone who likes to break all the shells. "Junoon ban chuki ho...
764K 43.4K 34
❝ She has always dreamed of having that perfect 'home' but then found 'him' instead ❞ A home is something that she has always dreamt of, where she'd...