Chasing Sapphire

Por mahumwrites

"Sapphire!" the voice whispered in my ears. Same dream, same voice, same pair of piercing blue eyes glaring i... Mais

PROLOGUE
1. DREAM
2. FIGHT
3. FIRE
4. HOMETOWN
5. CHILDHOOD
6. FUNERAL
7. WOLF
8. STRANGERS
9. BOOKS
10. DARK
11. STUCK
12. NIGHTMARES
13. ESCAPE?
14. SHIFT
15. PROPHECY
17. CRUSH
18. SPECIAL
19. LIBRARY
20. FIRE
21. HALF-NAKED
22. SCARED
23. FOLLOWER
24. INTRUDER
25. BETRAYAL
26. DARKNESS
27. HELPER
28. MESS
29. CONNECTION

16. DINNER

234 31 5
Por mahumwrites

SAPPHIRE

For some people, graveyard is a place of horror but when someone you love had been buried in those graveyards, when a part of you lies here, you can't help but feel a strange peace here.

The headstones of Dad, Mom and Anastasia were lined side to side; I fought the urge to cry as I read the words written on them.

Jason Peter Dawson. Loving husband and father. (1970-2001)

Isobel Catherine Denver. Mother, wife and a friend. (1972-2001)

Anastasia Jasmine Denver. Loving daughter. (1992-2001)

The three people who died on the same day, protecting me from those evil people trying to catch me. Anastasia and I were almost 10 then. I can't imagine how it would have felt to face death at that age. Did she cry? Did she begged them to leave her? How did they kill her?

I didn't remember when tears started to stream down my cheeks as I imagined the worst scenarios. Sometimes I wished I would have died with them. Life alone was not easy. Life without a family was a torture, especially when I was a kid. My foster parents never cared about me; all they cared about the cheques they got from Samantha.

But I couldn't hate her anymore, not after knowing how she tried to protect me till her last breath. Her death was weird, as the Sheriff had told me and now I knew why.

I cast a glance to Aunt Samantha's grave and wiped the tears off my cheeks. Saying my goodbyes to my family, I walked away from the graves to the exit.

But someone caught me attention and I squinted my eyes to look clearly. It was Connor Hunt, kneeled beside a grave. The headstone read 'Tara Jean Hunt'. I remembered when he told me his wife was dead. Not wanting to invade, I walked away silently but then I heard him calling my name.

I made my way to him and silently observed as he replaced the old flowers with new, fresh orchids. He stood up and then brushed the dust off his jeans and I couldn't help but notice the muscles of his arm.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I replied

"What were you doing here?" he asked with his signature smile on his face.

"I was looking for a spa here," I replied sarcastically and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

His eyebrows furrowed at first but then he realised I was being sarcastic. "I thought you were serious for a minute," he chuckled.

"That's what you get for asking the obvious," I replied.

We walked together to the exit of the graveyard. It wasn't easy leaving because it felt like I was leaving a part of me here, which was true in a way.

"So where does your family live?" I asked as we both walked towards our car which were parked at a distance.

"Tara was my only family. I was an orphan." he said and I stopped in my track when we reached my car.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said in a friendly voice.

"Don't worry. I never had any family so I don't know what it feels to not have one." he said and rested his hand on the hood of my car.

"Maybe i's easier this way than losing your family when you were 10." I said and then felt bad for sounding insensitive. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I bet it is," he said.

His hair shone under the sunlight and a strange urge to run my fingers through them bloomed in my heart. I was in a relationship with Roman as long as I can remember and the passion died somewhere in the way. Now after a long time, I was finding myself admiring an attractive person and this thought made me blush.

"Sapphire," he called my name, breaking the trance. "I asked if you'd like to have dinner at my house tonight. I was planning on making Steak tonight and cooking for one person gets boring sometimes."

"Um... Sure." I don't know when the words left my mouth. I knew I was going to regret accepting the invitation because I wasn't a social person and Bella's words had ruined whatever sanity I had left in me.

"Great," he said and walked back to his car.

°°°°°

I looked at my reflection in the mirror after dressing up in a maroon ribbed knit sweater dress. It felt like I was assessing myself in the mirror after a long time. Twenties had been hard on me. I had lost the gloss of my hair and my stomach was no longer flat like it was in the teenage. At least I had made an effort in dressing up in something other than black tights and boring shirts. Yes, I know a sweater dress weren't a major improvement but still.

"Where are you going?" Bella asked, assessing me from head to toe.

"I was just going to meet Connor for dinner." I replied shyly.

She passed me a suggestive smile at this and continued eating her grilled cheese sandwich. One thing I had figured out about her was that Bella loved to eat, despite her petite figure. I on the other hand couldn't eat much if I wanted to maintain my figure.

I left the house and rang the bell of Connor's house. He opened it soon and invited me inside. His house had a calming environment, something that makes a house home.

"Welcome to my humble abode." he said, leading me to the living room. "Last time you were here, I hadn't cleaned it in three days."

Last time I was here, I was so frightened that I didn't notice the surroundings much. It was late at night so the place was dark and silent but this time, it felt brighter and more lively.

"Was I supposed to bring to bring a gift or something? God, I think I look rude." I said because in Roman's family back in London, we usually brought some flowers whenever we went to someone's house for dinner.

"Don't worry, we Americans aren't that civil." he said. "You are from London, aren't you?"

"Yes, did Bella tell you?" I asked.

"No, but your accent did." he shrugged. "Suit yourself. I'll check the food."

After he left, I looked around awkwardly. The built of this house was the same as Bella's but instead of separate study room, he had a bookshelf and a desk inside the living room.

I stepped towards the bookshelf and read the titles. Books are something that fascinates me to such extent that I decided to make a living out of it. I was a publisher. Connor owned a bookshop so he probably loved reading too.

There were almost 40 books arranged in the two shelves, most of them were work of fictions that I had already read. Jane Austen, Nicholas Sparks and John Green constituted most of his collection.

I randomly picked up one of the novel I have never heard before. Sweet Nothings. I felt surprised all of sudden when I read the author's name. Connor Hunt.

"Shit," Connor pulled it away from my hand before I could even open the first page. "It's stupid." he said, a hint of color appeared on his cheeks.

"Wow, you have your own published book?" I asked in surprise.

"Just something I wrote in college. It wasn't that good. An agent read it and he thought I should get it published. Nevermind, it wasn't a bestseller." he said, looking embarrassed.

"I'd like to buy it from you," I asked with a grin.

"It's not for sale," he said and I pouted in return. "But if you really want to read it, I can make an exception." he said, noticing my disappointment.

"I do want to," I said.

He chuckled and then took a pen from the pen holder. Opening the first page, he signed it for me. "Your signed copy," he smirked and gave it to me.

"I'm honored," I joked in response.

I couldn't believe I was giggling and joking around when a bomb had been exploded on me yesterday. I was grateful of Connor of making me forget about the horrible revelation but at the same time, I was worried. Atticus West was a dangerous person and if he sensed my newly forming friendship with Connor, he might hurt him.

"Earth to Sapphire," he waved his hand in front of me. "Why are you always lost in your thoughts?"

My cheeks burned in embarrassment and I muttered a small sorry.

"Well, I was saying the dinner is ready," he said and led me to the dining room. A table for two was set and two plates of steaks were set. He poured some wine in two glasses and sat down in front of me.

"I usually have my friends over for dinner. Eating alone is a little depressing to be honest," he said and I felt disappointed on hearing that I wasn't the only person he had invited for dinner.

"I bet it is," I said and tasted the steak. It tasted better than anything I have ever cooked. "It's delicious." I said and he smiled.

"So how was life back in London?" he asked.

"Fine. Average," I said and skipped about the part where I was going crazy because of some dreams and the part where my boyfriend died, probably because of me.

"And what about your personal life?" he asked.

"Um... Well, I mostly worked in weekdays and in weekends, I mostly slept or read something."

"And?" he raised his eyebrows, looking quite curious.

"And?" I repeated.

"I mean do you have any boyfriend or--"

"I..." I didn't know what to tell him. "I had one. It just... Um... Didn't work out."

"Oh," he whispered.

The rest of the dinner went really well. I enjoyed talking to him and listening to stories about his work and life. I doubt he felt the same because nothing about me was fun or interesting, except the part where I was supposed to die to kill all the werewolves. I figured such interesting information should be kept to myself if I don't want to give him a stroke.

After spending some two hours at his house, I finally decided to leave. He came with me to the door of Bella's house, although it was few steps away.

"It was nice talking to you Miss. Carson," he said once I reached the doorstep.

"Likewise Mr. Hunt," I replied in response.

He then turned around to leave and I turned to the door as well. While I was rotating the knob, I felt a pair of eyes on me. Acting on instincts, I turned to my left and gasped when found a familiar car at some distance. I couldn't make out much in the dark, except familiar piercing blue eyes glaring through the windshield.

____________________________

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

57 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
7.4K 365 16
I awoke to shuffling in my room. I looked over to my alarm clock. 2:47. The hell? The shuffling comes closer to my bed and I tense when I see a shado...
16.9K 613 24
20 years after the war with a powerful witch, and the defeat of an evil fae, life was...calm but the greatest challenge the paranormal world had to f...
536K 17.7K 60
A horse ranch. That's where I lived at least. I know, not very exciting to those of you who don't care for this life or think it's all about work. Bu...