Til The Bitter End | Alec Lig...

By MayLarie10

Lena Fairchild has given everything and more for the Shadow World. She's died and sacrificed everything she h... More

Playlist/Cast
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53

43

581 10 1
By MayLarie10

*edited*

"Lena." I sat up from the bed. The covers were so warm.

"Why can't I just sleep in?" I sighed. Alec smiled at me, his head was tilted to the side and his arms were crossed. The forbidden stance. I slapped my hand over my eyes. "Don't do that!"

"Do what?" He laughed.

"Don't." I swung my legs over the side of the bed. "Give me that gorgeous smile. That you know I'd do anything for." 

I looked through my closet and found a pair of jeans and threw them onto the bed. I grabbed a grey shirt. Alec came over kissing my temple as he went to the bathroom to get ready as well. There was a knock at our door and then Magnus came in.

"Magnus?" I tugged my shirt on. Alec's head popped out of the bathroom. He was brushing his teeth.

"Oh." He mumbled something. I stared at him not understanding. He threw his hand at Magnus and disappeared into the bathroom again.

"Is it okay if I stay here for a few nights?" Magnus played with the rings on his fingers.

"Yeah, but what happened?"

"I moved out of my apartment so I now have to find a new place," Magnus said. He clasped his hands behind his back and gave me a smile. He was trying to make it seem like he was okay. 

"Yes you can stay here, but why did you move out? You loved that apartment," I crossed my arms. He glanced at the door as people passed. He was avoiding. "It was the price for your magic wasn't it?"

"Well you're more than welcome here, it's like having my best friend here," I smiled. 

Alec moved out of the bathroom so I went into the bathroom and got ready. When we walked out I could tell Magnus was nervous. He didn't like being around this many shadow hunters.

"It's like a school cafeteria Magnus," I said.

"Yeah, but they are all going to stare," Magnus whispered.

"Don't worry, they won't," Alec said. 

He moved through the doors. Magnus walked after him and I walked behind making sure no one looked at him funny. If Raj or anyone else gave him a bad look they wouldn't think about looking up again.

"I glare at everyone." I patted his shoulder

"Reassuring," Magnus said. 

The hunters did look but immediately looked back down when they realized I was taking note of who looked at him.

"Magnus, what are you doing here?" Isabelle asked. He sat down next to her with his tray of food. It wasn't as fancy as he was used to, but it was edible and sometimes the food was good But that was rare.

"I'm having trouble finding a new place," He picked up his glass of orange juice and grimaced. "My realtor died a century ago. So it's been slow."

"He's going to be staying here a few nights," Alec added. Magnus set his glass down looking at his pancake.

"That's great," Clary smirked. I looked over at her as she pulled out her phone. "Hey. You got your badge back?" Luke. "Oh my god." She looked at me. "Wait Luke, what about Maia—."

"What is it? What happened?" Jace asked. Clary looked up from her phone.

"The Jade Wolf was attacked by Vampires," Clary said. "Luke's okay. Everyone else is dead. He said it was a massacre."

"I'll go search the area," I grabbed a pancake and a piece of bacon. Clary got up with me. She grabbed my elbow slowing me down.

"They took Luke in for questioning. They think he was responsible for the murders," She said. I put my hand on her shoulder.

"Claire, he'll be fine. He's made it this far," I assured.

"Vampires ambushed the wolves' headquarters," Jace shook his head. "What the hell is this?"

"I can name a few names responsible," I muttered. 

I was barely the one involved in any of it, but I knew one vampire that has been stirring up a lot of trouble lately. Heidi. She's been a real pain for Simon and everyone.

"I'll come with you Lena," Isabelle said. 

She drank the rest of her orange juice and got up from the table. Magnus and Alec were besties for the day. So I trusted they could keep each other busy with task work.

***

"Oh my god," I said. 

There was blood everywhere. I could see the spots where the bodies had been. This was a massacre.

"This is awful," Clary muttered. 

"I can't believe the vampires would do this," I whispered. "I'm surprised Praetor didn't intervene."

"Maybe this happened because of Praetor," She looked around. 

I moved toward the back room. The door to the stock room was dented, something had punched it many times. They were trying to get to something or someone. 

"Someone was hiding," I touched the broken metal.

"Maia?" Isabelle questioned. "Simon still hasn't messaged me back and neither has she."

"After seeing this I wouldn't blame her," I looked around once more. 

There must have been bodies everywhere. Luke's pack wasn't one of the larger ones, but it certainly wasn't small.

"Let's check the surrounding area," Isabelle moved back out.

"Do you remember anyone from your adventures with Simon that would want to do this?" I asked. She shook her head.

"We went to the Seelie court and met one of the oldest vampires, that was all," She glanced back at the building. "Nothing like this." 

The area around the diner was empty. No survivors. We went back to the institute walking in. Alec was leaning over one of the tables looking at the monitor.

"Hey," Isabelle caught his attention.

"Any survivors?"

"We scoured the surrounding area," Isabelle shook her head. "No sign of any survivors."

"Well someone was hiding, but I can't tell if they were ripped out or murdered. There was blood in a back store room. I'm hoping Maia or even Kyle the wolf from the Praetor, were able to stay alive back there."

"Vampires killing werewolves, this is how war starts," Alec turned back to the monitor. A blonde walked in. Heidi. Underhill was next to her.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Isabelle snapped. 

I pulled one of my blades free pointing it at her face. Her eyes widened for a moment, but Underhill put his hand up.

"She said she had some information," He said. 

"I didn't ask." I smiled at her. She looked from me to Alec.

"I'm listening," Alec pulled my hand down. I put the blade back into the sheath on my back.

"I know who massacred those werewolves," She tilted her head to the side. 

Her eyes softened. She didn't have the crazed expression anymore, but I still think it was here. She was just playing a part. It was like when you go to adopt an animal from a shelter and they all give you that pitiful look of innocence. Most were, and others were great at deceiving people.

"Follow me," Alec sighed. 

Heidi walked after him and I stayed close behind her. If she even moved too close to him, I would rip out her heart. I didn't care if she had information or not. It made me smile when she kept checking over her shoulder. Alec walked into his office shutting the door behind her as Isabelle motioned for her to sit. The three of us stood in front of her.

"Why are you so willing to turn on your own clan?" Alec asked.

"Well, they're not my clan," She shook her head. "Not really." Her eyes moved to Izzy. "I heard them talking about an attack on the werewolves, but I never thought they'd actually do it. And now I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say anything."

"This newfound sanity is laughable," I said.

"How can you live with yourself after you murdered that tech at the blood truck?" Isabelle shot back.

"I couldn't. That's why I brought him back to life," Heidi reasoned. "Because I felt terrible. I—."

"What about Praetor Nick?" Isabelle interrupted.

"You don't know what it's like to be drained of blood, murdered, and then wake up days later and you have no idea where you are," Her eyes were glued on a post near the floor behind us. "You feel like an animal. Alone and so thirsty. I couldn't control myself." Alec looked over at Izzy and me. Both of us shared a similar expression. I still wanted to hit her.

"Don't tell me you believe her. She held Simon's family hostage," Isabelle reasoned.

"I know." Heidi shook her head. "I feel so terrible about that. Lilith is the one who talked me into it."

"Okay, for fucks sake. Have some backbone," I gave her an annoyed expression. 

She looked like I'd just murdered puppies in front of her or something. If Alec fell for this bull, I wasn't going to be able to talk to him for a while.

"I was getting better at the Praetor until your blonde friend kidnapped me," She crossed her legs.

"Jace."

"Can I please get another chance? Look I am not saying I'm a girl scout—"

"Cause you would murder one," I muttered.

"I just thought that you could forgive me," She stared at Alec. I could see her blink as her bottom lip pouted.

"Never gonna happen." Isabelle smiled.

"Why?" Heidi said. "You forgave Raphael?" Isabelle's face fell. "She didn't tell you? Raphael is the one that brought me back." Heidi looked at Alec for help. "He kept me locked up at the DuMort to run experiments on me." I clenched my jaw and slowly turned to her. Experiments? "He tortured me for days and then your sister just let him go."

"Is this true?" Alec asked. Iz was staring at the floor.

"Guys, it's not that simple." She explained. I pinched the bridge of my nose. Experiments.

"I'm sorry I didn't come here to cause a fight. I came here to help," Heidi sighed.

"If we give you a clean slate, will you ID the vampires who attacked the jade wolf?" Alec asked. My mouth was open slightly as Alec looked at me. He shrugged. 

"It would be my honor," Heidi answered. 

Just the way she speaks pisses me off. I walked out of the room first leaving the other two behind me. My first instinct was to go to the armory. Isabelle followed me in after.

"Lena," She said.

"It's fine," I started grabbing more weapons.

"I'm assembling a team and—you already know," Alec said. 

I nodded and put the blades in. Several more shadow hunters came in grabbing the gear and getting situated. I stood next to Alec and Izzy as we faced the team.

"This whole situation started because the last time somebody tried to raid the DuMort a vampire was assaulted. We can not afford to let that happen again. So I want this done by the book," Alec instructed. A few nods in the crowd. I saw Underhill whisper something to his partner.

"You've been equipped with special tech, holy water. I've diluted it to be non-lethal, but it packs a punch." Isabelle nodded.

"Any questions?" Alec asked. Silence. "Good. May the angel be with you." I moved forward with Isabelle behind me. "Hold up. Isabelle, you aren't going. Lena, take the lead on the mission." 

I nodded and left the two siblings alone as I followed after the group. It wasn't my first official time being led on a mission, but it kind of was.

No one questioned it either. They listened and did as I instructed. No casuatlites and no assuatls. Each one was taken into custody flawlessly. It felt nice. Not having to worry about any of us dying. 

We brought the vampires back to the institute and brought them down to the detention level. I left them with Alec while I went to change. The gear was heavy and I hadn't used most of it. 

When I walked past the training room I heard grunting and the sound of punches. I looked through the doors and saw Clary on top of someone beating them bloody.

"Claire!" I ran to her side. "Clary?" She didn't stop until I yanked her off. 

"Aline!" Jace came in as well. The girl slowly sat up. She had blood gushing from her nose.

"Aline, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Clary wheezed as she leaned into me. She felt guilty. She wasn't entirely conscious when she was beating the girl senseless.

"Are you alright?" Jace asked. Aline touched her bloody teeth.

"Do I look alright?" She snapped.

"You look like a bitch," The words left my mouth before I could stop them.

"I need some air," Clary moved away from me.

"I'm coming with you," Jace went to leave.

"No!" Clary shouted. "No." She put her hand up. "I need to be alone." She saw the blood on her wrapped hands and clenched her hand. I turned around pointing my finger at Aline.

"Don't talk to my sister," I threatened.

"Lena," Jace said.

"No, Jace. Clary doesn't just snap for any reason, little Miss Consol's daughter poked the bear. She deserved what she got." I pointed at the bloody girl. She gave me an aggravated look. She opened her mouth. "You better watch what you say Penhallow because I'm worse than my sister."

"Lena!" Jace snapped. 

"If you won't defend Clary, then I will," I said.

I left them both in the training room. everyone was pissing me off today. Jace, Iz, and Alec. I had no idea what had gotten into all of them.

***

Clary was at the docks. It was near her favorite bench that she and Simon always used to sit at when they went for walks. She looked over and dropped her head.

"If you're going to yell at me—."

"I'm not," I smiled. "I was going to ask what she said, but I don't want to anger you again. Wouldn't want you to start hitting on me like that?" I leaned on the railing next to her. 

"Don't encourage this Lena," She looked down at the hands. "What I did was awful." 

"It was, you're right," I nodded. "You lashed out, but it's about damn time, I mean Clary. People have been hating on you for being Valentine's daughter and you've just kept it inside. It's not our fault we were born by him, but you weren't raised by him. It was very out of character." 

"I don't know what happened," She breathed.

"Did you just black out?"

"It was like a rage came from somewhere and I just wanted to hurt her. I wouldn't stop," She clenched and unclenched her hands. "I don't want to be like that."

"I know," I gave her a comforting smile. "You aren't."

"Don't try and justify my actions, you make me feel like Jonathan," She groaned.

"First of all, I will never justify his actions. Secondly, you aren't Jonathan in any way, you both are opposites and that's why he's so obsessed with you. And thirdly if you want me to give it to you straight I can," I offered. She didn't refuse so I continued. "Yeah, what you did was bad. You beat Penhallow's daughter to a pulp. It's bad enough that our name is already trashed, but your actions just further push them to believe we're incapable of handling a situation without blood. But I know that's not true because I've grown up with you. You don't usually resort to violence at first, that's me." I gripped her hand.

"I just don't know anymore," She closed her eyes for a moment. "Everything is just so confusing now."

"Well let's be confused together cause you and I both know that together at least one of us has to be right," I smiled. 

She leaned her head on my shoulder as we watched one of the ferries move across the water. It was peaceful out here.

"A beautiful night isn't it?" 

Clary was the first to turn around. I knew his voice. I slowly turned and saw our brother standing a few feet away from us. His hands were limp at his sides. He carried no weapon.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Clary snapped.

"I was going to ask you both the same thing," He said.

He slid his hands into his pockets. Clary looked around quickly. I didn't know what she was looking for the trouble was in front of us.

"Is this some kind of trap?" Clary asked. Jonathan looked around with her. They were both waiting for something to happen.

"I don't know. You tell me." He moved his hands from his pockets. "I find it hard to believe that our meeting here was a coincidence." He slowly moved forward. "I had no intention of stopping here tonight. I had my own business to take care of, and yet, I was walking by and had the sudden urge to stop. And here you are." I moved in front of Clary slightly.

"Clary must have felt it too," Jonathan tilted his head to the side. "We are connected after all. Our rune has brought us together." He stepped forward again his hand going to his stomach. "I was worried about you earlier."

"Stay back," Clary muttered. 

She was moving farther away from me as I stayed between them. I hated that she was dragged into his. It should have just been me. 

"Whoever you were fighting they must've gotten in a few good shots, didn't they?" He asked. 

Clary grabbed my hand gripping it tightly. She was trying to pull me back with her to put more distance between Jonathan and us.

"Come any closer and I will call the institute," She warned. 

"Shouldn't one of you have done that already or are you enjoying this conversation?" He smiled. He took a step closer and waited, but she didn't call.

"You make me sick." Clary yelled. She put her phone away.

"And yet we're destined to be together," Jonathan smiled. "Our meeting tonight proves it."

"Ew, don't talk like that." I shook my head.

"This isn't destiny, Jonathan. It's a damn rune," Clary argued as he slowly circled us.

"You love me, Clary, I can feel it," He breathed. I shook my head.

"No, she loved the Jonny I knew," I said. "The boy who I called my brother." He pressed his hand to his chest.

"Me, Sissy. That's me."

"No, it's not," I argued. "Jonny was our brother who was sent to Edom where he died. You aren't him."

"But regardless you both still love me or else one of you would have turned me in by now." He tilted his head again. "It's why you didn't take me down, Clary? Come with me. I know deep down you both do. We can be a family again." Clary stepped forward.

"No part of me wants anything to do with you," She argued. Her hand gripped mine. "I've already got my family. She's right here." 

"For now," He stepped back. "I've got an appointment to keep." He moved around Clary giving me a small smile. "See you, Sissy." He touched my shoulder before running off. Clary turned pulling her phone out, but it was too late.

"What the hell is wrong with us?" She breathed.

"I don't know." 

We both went back to the institute. Jace intercepted Clary on our way in sweeping her away to his room as I took a moment for myself. I was losing Clary to Jonathan. I was losing her to the rune on her body. It was drawing them together and I couldn't stop it. I couldn't save her. Unless I did something fast I was going to lose my sister too.

"Morgenstern." Aline's said. I kept walking. "Hey, Morgenstern! Where've you been hiding?!" 

I stopped in my tracks. The chatter around us had stopped as I slowly turned to face her. My face was blank and I felt exhausted. She looked like she was about to start something that I was going to have to finish.

"You do not speak to my fiance like that," Alec snapped. 

He appeared out of nowhere walking past me as he got closer and closer to her. His voice lowered. 

"I don't care if you're my cousin or who your mother is. You will never speak to her like that again. She has a name. It's Lena. Soon to be Lena Lightwood. She's earned your respect, Aline. Know your place." 

Aline was completely gagged. She couldn't get any words out. Alec turned his jaw clenched and his expression angry. He tapped my arm as I passed, it was his nonverbal signal to follow him. 

"Are you okay?" I asked. I let my fingers graze his to test the waters. His hand stretched and he took my hand.

"I'm fine," He breathed. "I just didn't realize my cousin would be such a bitch to you." I laughed at his bluntness. He didn't smile though.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Magnus," He led me downstairs to the infirmary. 

Magnus was lying in bed. His hair was flat. His makeup off his face. He's never ever looked like this since I've met him. I bet he hasn't looked like this in centuries his magic helped him heal. 

"Mag," I grabbed his hand. "Mag."

"His magic came at a price," Alec said. My hand brushed his hair to the side. "I'm going to speak with Lorenzo."

"No, let me do it," I muttered.

"Lena," Alec sighed.

"Alec," I turned to him. "Magnus is like a father to me. He raised me, he helped me, let me talk to Lorenzo. He likes me more and I can convince him."

"You have to do it legally," He reminded me. I smiled. He knew me so well.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll try," I breathed. My eyes watered. I was losing my sister to my demonic brother. I was losing my father to his own magic. "You'll be okay Magpie. It's my turn to care for you now." I rubbed my forehead leaning back. Alec was just behind me letting me rest against him. "I'm losing everyone."

"You won't," Alec whispered. "We'll make sure you won't." 

I looked over my shoulder giving him a soft smile. That wasn't something he could promise me. I was going to lose someone, I just didn't know which one it would be yet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.6K 1K 79
[Alec Lightwood x OC] Aria Herondale, Jace's older sister he didn't remember he had. Separated from her brother at at a young age. Raised in secret...
10K 604 30
This is a sequel to A Surprise and A Betrayal. If you haven't read that story go check it out first. Because it's a sequel, you won't understand most...
50.4K 1.3K 22
[ SLOWLY EDITING - COMPLETED ] ***WARNING: I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD. PROCEED WITH CAUTION {CONSTRUCTION} Clarissa Morgenstern is off on a...
57.5K 1.6K 33
Asher Montgomery is the daughter of two legacies. Lilith Penrose, her mother, could conjure up the most powerful runes with her skillful calligraphy...