MELTING A FROZEN HEART

By serene_fictionist

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... More

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 3

1.8K 186 55
By serene_fictionist

RAELYNN

Taking a seat, he looked up at me, his gray eyes swirling with an underlying mock directed at my amber ones.

Clearing my throat, I gave a curt nod and took my seat, the others following suit, a tense atmosphere enveloping everyone.

"Ms. Baker, the documents about the cost estimates and blueprint for the entire factory has been already sent to you.", one of their associates said, looking at me.

"Yes, we've reviewed it. We've also been granted Environmental Clearance and the mayor has signed the legal documents, conveying his consent. The factory is all set to be constructed legally.", I informed.

"The present blueprint of the factory is made according to the kind of heavy machinery you conveyed you'll be setting up. The ground conditions, the water supply and waste disposal methods need to be planned first before making the final blueprint. Once the site is thoroughly checked by our engineers, we'll proceed with the construction.", Mr. Marino said curtly, looking at me.

I nodded, approving.

"Also, there's a slight disharmony between the cost estimations and labor cost you've proposed and the budget we've set for this project.", I took the file from my financial team and handed it to them.

The meeting continued in all seriousness for almost about 2 hours.

Amidst all the discussions and negotiations, I've completely forgotten the tension between me and this petty gray-eyed man.

When the discussion was over and an agreement was reached, the meeting was finally announced complete.

Standing up, we faced each other yet again, to greet before professionally ending the meeting on a positive note.

The room went utterly silent and I could feel everyone's eyes glued to us, an air of tension yet again surfacing in the room.

I didn't want to be the first one to forward my hand.

He had the audacity to embarrass me in front of all these people, so he will have to be the first to forward his hand.

If he's petty, then so am I!

He looked me in the eye and I gladly returned the favor.

As seconds passed by, none of us giving in, I could see his eyes turning slightly dark, intimidating mine to submit.

When I saw his gray eyes trying to dominate mine, a very faint smirk graced my countenance, my eyes piercing his as hard as his trying to subdue mine.

I scoffed internally.

I will never again in my life ever bow my head before anyone. And definitely not in front of a man.

IF HE HAS HIS EGO TO FUEL, I HAVE MY PRIDE TO FEED.

After a short moment, he finally chose to break the tense silence.

"I hope Ms. Baker's palm is not stained with tree dust or something of that sort.", he said, his deep voice lacing with subtle sarcasm, looking me in the eyes intensely.

"And I hope Mr. Marino's palm is free from coffee stains or something of that sort.", I said, my voice bold, sarcasm evident.

The tension successfully thickened.

"Sir", his secretary probed, her voice cautious.

"It's been a pleasure working with you, Ms. Baker.", he said stoically.

"Likewise, Mr. Marino.", I said neutrally.

Both of us forwarded our hands, not intending to drag it on any further.

The moment my slender palm was enclosed by his large one, I could feel the rough calluses on his hand and the cold metal of his heavy signet against my skin.

Surprisingly, his eyes flickered down to my palm for a split moment and when he looked back up at me, his eyes held a very unfamiliar emotion.

Surprise?

Maybe.

It must definitely be surprising.

My hands are not especially soft or smooth like what a man expects from a woman's skin. They are rather slightly rough from all the time I spend in training.

He gave me a curt nod and I nodded back, retracting my hand.

I took a breath in relief as they walked out.

When I looked at my secretary, I saw him looking at me with a frown.

"Is there something you wish to say, Mr. Brown?", I asked calmly.

"Is there some sort of friction between Mr. Marino and you, mam?", he asked cautiously.

"Why would you ask that, Mr. Brown?", I questioned, looking at him calmly.

"I don't mean to overstep, but as an employee who's worked close to you for more than three years, I just wanted to suggest you to not get involved with Mr. Marino, especially in a negative light.", he said politely.

"Why do people keep saying that? To not get involved with Mr. Marino?", I asked, remembering what Liam said the previous night.

"The rumors surrounding him are not far from the truth, I believe, mam. And that family has always been more on the vigilante side.", he replied.

Nodding, I hummed in response.

"I have nothing on a personal level with anyone in that family, Mr. Brown.", I said curtly.

"Yes, mam.", he nodded, walking out.

After a good three hours of working on some pending files, I left the office to visit my therapist.

As repulsive as I had felt about therapy, I fought my own reluctance and took the first step.

I wanted to heal and not just live in the shadows of my past forever.

That's when I started visiting Dr. Nicholas Kyle.

He's a 37 year old married guy with three kids. He's as easy-going as a human can come.

Parking my car, I walked into his clinic and walked into his cabin once the receptionist gave me a nod.

"Good afternoon, Nicholas.", I greeted politely, walking in.

"Good afternoon, Raelynn.", he greeted back, his smile as charming as ever.

Taking a seat, I looked up at him and he was already observing me.

"You're not in a good mood, I presume.", he teased.

"Right.", I answered honestly

"And what might the reason be?", he asked, his tone serious yet gentle.

"Well, there are many - ", I explained everything that happened in the past week and especially what happened from yesterday night to this morning.

"Look, I know I acted on impulse and he just defended himself by stopping my strike, but my adrenaline was so high that I was furious at him for giving me advice. And today, he took his revenge.", I said, displeased.

"Your emotions get greatly unstable right after someone even makes a remotely sexual comment. Your defenses strike up rapidly. Considering that, the way you acted is not a surprise.", he said calmly.

"I thought I was getting better at my habits.", I said, sighing.

"You are. But not as much as you think. Did you contact your childhood friend, Sarah, as I suggested you to?", he asked.

I stiffened at that.

"I um don't want to.", I answered stiffly.

"Exactly.", Nicholas said.

I averted my gaze, pursing my lips.

"Sarah is the only one still around from the healthy days of your past. And according to you, she's a very close friend, just like a sister. You should take a leap of faith and contact her. Cutting your past won't help you, Raelynn, accepting it will.", he said firmly.

I still didn't look at him, my left leg bouncing slightly in anxiety.

"I know it's a big step, but you need to take it. You aren't exactly healed of your wounds, Raelynn, you're just too busy to even think about them. The moment some sort of incident occurs that reminds you of your past, all your instincts flood in, pushing you to an edge.", he continued.

"I'm trying.", I said in a low voice.

"I know and I also accept that you have been gradually doing better, but it's not enough. The shackles are still not broken. You don't trust people. You don't trust me or Liam either. How long can you go on with this constant doubt?", he said gently.

I took in a deep breath and looked up at him.

"I will try to contact Sarah. But I won't give you a deadline until when I'll keep trying.", I said, gulping the lump in my throat.

"Well, that is satisfying enough.", he smiled.

After talking to him for a few more minutes, I felt a little relieved, but his words were repeating at the back of my mind.

Sitting in a nearby cafe, after completing my session, I ordered a hot coffee.

"Finish your pastry, hon, don't waste it.", I heard a woman raising her voice, upset.

Looking at the table diagonal to me, I saw a young woman and a nearly 6 year old kid. He was busy playing with his toy while his mother looked displeased at his unfinished snack.

A sad smile graced my lips at the sight.

My mother and I were just like that.

She used to complain to my father about how I never listened to her and kept playing in my own world. But my father had always supported me in all my naughtiness.

The very thought of them weighs my heart down, making it hard to breathe.

If only I had not insisted on going to that house party, I-

I was startled out of my thoughts when someone settled at the table behind me.

Realizing I had been staring at the kid for too long, I averted my gaze.

Regrets sure eat up our souls from inside.

"It was not my mistake.", a male voice from the table behind me startled me.

Do they not know this is a small cafe and that they need to speak in a low voice?

"If he hadn't provoked me, I wouldn't have punched him.", the voice continued.

Ugh.

Just talk softly.

"That's exactly my question, Dylan. What did he say or do to provoke you?", a bold voice questioned sternly.

Why do I feel I heard this voice somewhere before?

At that moment, the waitress came back with my order.

"Mam, your coffee and the bill.", the waitress smiled, placing the tall, closed paper cup and the bill on the table.

"Thank you.", I smiled politely.

After she moved away, I paid the bill with a tip and held the coffee in my right hand, with my wallet and phone filling up my left hand.

Turning around, I took a few steps forward, but all of a sudden the kid from the other table rushed from beside me, pushing me in the process.

My feet stumbled at the sudden sideway force, my body leaning down sideways a little, the coffee cup slipping out of my hand. Before I could fall, I placed my right palm flat on the table right beside me, breaking my fall.

"Oh my god.", I muttered, shocked and surprised, grateful that I didn't end up falling.

"What the f**k! Vince, are you-", the sudden voice from before came from beside me.

Still leaning on the edge of the table, I looked to my right and found a kid, around 18 or 19 years old, looking at the opposite side with widened eyes.

Frowning, I turned to my left.

My coffee cup was resting on the table, the sizzling hot coffee completely spilled out on the right hand, white shirt, black blazer and a heavy signet, that looked way too expensive, of the man sitting there.

Wait.

I saw that signet ring before.

My gaze lifted up slowly and when my eyes met the displeased and annoyed gray eyes of his, my breath hitched, embarrassment flooding in, a red hue creeping up my cheeks.

"A very nice way of taking revenge, Ms. Baker, my hand is indeed stained with coffee now.", he said in an eerily calm voice.

Well, damn my luck!

*******************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

Why is Raelynn embarrassing herself each time they meet? 😂

And why is everyone asking her to stay away from Vince? 😐

What's your opinion on Raelynn so far? 😁

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Do follow me on Insta with the same ID.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 33.6K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
4.2M 264K 101
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
3K 66 11
It's time for another year at Pacific Coast Academy. Things are different this year though. Chase's twin sister Chrissy is coming to PCA. After years...
480K 12.9K 17
Bad boys: people view them as unfit fathers. Why? Well, their bad boy lifestyle of course. That's where Asher Cain comes in. Throughout his whole hig...