Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

34. Fluffy's Secret

9.1K 319 15
By thegirlwhowrites11

Severus kept a watchful eye out for trouble on patrol that night, but nothing happened. The night was eerily silent and Quirrell never left his quarters. He checked the forbidden third floor repeatedly, but nothing happened. No one tried to get the Sorcerer's Stone. The peacefulness baffled him, not that he wanted anything to happen, but it was unusual, especially with the Headmaster out of the castle. He was sure if Quirrell tried anything it would be while Dumbledore was out. Of course, this was just the first night. There were two more to go. He walked by Quirrell's office once more to be certain nothing had changed and then he went back to his own quarters. The vision he had seen in the Mirror of Erised danced in front of his eyes the moment he fell asleep. Alaina dominated his dreams that night.

When Severus opened his eyes it was morning. He hadn't moved from his bed or turned over once during the night, which was unusual. He got up, got dressed, and went straight out the front doors to get a little fresh air. He was surprised to find Harry and his friends all dressed in their school robes walking down toward the Forbidden Forest. Frowning, he followed them.

"There's some way to get past that thing," he heard Ron say.

"There has to be," Hermione agreed. "I just hope we can find out what it is."

"Well, if he knows, Hagrid will tell us," Harry assured them. "He has been the one to fill in the blanks so far."

"I just hope he's up."

They continued to walk, unaware Severus had overheard them. He stopped and watched them walk the rest of the way to their destination. His frown was constant as he wondered why on Earth they would be going to Hagrid's. He made a mental note to keep a close eye on the three of them for the remainder of the day and then went back inside the castle.

Down at Hagrid's Hut, Harry, Ron, and Hermione waited patiently in the pumpkin patch. Hagrid had told them he would be out in a minute and to wait outside. Although they were curious about what he might be doing, they stood there like he told them to, talking among themselves.

"We have to know the secret to that dog," Harry declared.

"So what's the plan?" Ron asked.

"Well, Hagrid will tell us about anything. Let's get him talking about something and then just casually mention Fluffy."

Hermione frowned. "Do you really think he'll tell us?"

Harry nodded. "Probably without even realizing it."

Hagrid finally opened the door and came out to join them. "I can't stay long," he announced. "Dumbledore has a job an' it's a bit on the sensitive side. What is it yeh three want te talk about?"

Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at each other.

"Animals," Harry answered. "What kind of animals do you look after, Hagrid?"

He rubbed his chin. "Well that's easy. I usually specialize in the strange ones. I like a bit o' mystery in 'em. Like Fluffy."

Hermione took over. "But how do you tame them, Hagrid? It must be hard."

"It is," Hagrid agreed. "The only thing about taming a beast is te know how to calm him. Take Fluffy for example. Play him a bit o' music and he goes right to sleep."

Ron, Hermione, and Harry all gasped simultaneously. They didn't think the revelation would happen this soon or be so easy to extract.

"Thanks, Hagrid!" Harry shouted excitedly. He threw his arms around him.

"Here now, what's all this fer?"

He grinned. "You told us what we wanted to know. Now we have to be getting to class. We don't want to be late."

Hagrid scratched his head. "Oh alright. Get ter class before yer late then. Go on."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione ran off. Hagrid frowned as he watched them hurry away, not realizing what he had just done.

"That was easier than I thought it would be," Ron commented as they got up to the castle. They had just crossed the bridge. "So anyone who knows could get the stone."

"Exactly," Hermione confirmed. "And who knows who else Hagrid let that little detail slip to."

Harry frowned. "Someone is going to steal the stone. We don't know who it is, but we need to do something."

"We could tell someone," she suggested.

"Like who?" Ron asked. "Everyone will probably think we're mental. We're not supposed to even know about it."

"We could tell McGonagall," Hermione said. She seems to be reasonable most of the time.

Harry considered it for a moment. "Fine. Any idea where she is?"

Hermione smiled. "We could try her office."

He nodded. "Let's go. Maybe she'll know what to do."

Ron shook his head. "I think we should tell Dumbledore."

"McGonagall will tell Dumbledore," she reasoned. "We just need to tell her."

"Agreed," Harry said. He ran through the front door, Ron and Hermione right on his heels. They had to hurry or they would be late for class.

The three of them ran straight to Professor McGonagall's office. Luckily she hadn't left for class yet. They ran through the rows of chairs and up to the desk. She lifted her eyes from the papers in front of her at the sound of hurried footsteps.

"You have to help us, Professor," Harry said. "Immediately. You or Professor Dumbledore."

McGonagall stared at them sternly. "Well, it will have to be me, I'm afraid. Professor Dumbledore isn't here. He got an urgent owl from the Ministry and Magic and won't be back until late tomorrow."

"Oh no." His face went white. With Dumbledore gone, the Sorcerer's Stone was in danger for sure. He sighed. "Someone is going to try and steal the Sorcerer's Stone."

Ron and Hermione both nodded in agreement. McGonagall glowered.

"I'm not sure how you three found out about the stone, but I assure you it is perfectly safe. Now, you need to get to class. Don't be late."

Harry frowned. "Yes, ma'am." He turned and walked out, Ron and Hermione right behind him.

"What are we going to do now?" Ron asked when they got out into the corridor.

"We have to do something," Hermione said. "We can't just leave it to chance and McGonagall didn't seem to want to listen."

"There's only one thing we can do," Harry declared. "We go down the trap door. Tonight."

"What is the plan, Harry?" Ron asked eagerly.

"We get the stone before anyone else does."

"And what if we can't?" Hermione questioned.

Harry frowned. "Then I guess Voldemort will become strong again and I'll spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder."

Ron gulped and Hermione stared blankly at him. She hadn't meant to cause him to think about it that way. She placed her hand on his shoulder. Harry smiled at her.

"I guess we better go to class," he said finally.

"Yes and after I'll start looking up and practicing some spells we might need on our journey," Hermione added.

''Great. We all better try and take a nap, too so we'll be refreshed."

Ron and Hermione both nodded. Not one of them knew just how adventurous their journey would be.

~ * ~

The day was uneventful for Alaina. She had her Muggle Studies classes out of the way in what seemed like no time at all. She went to her office for a few hours first. Then she decided that she wanted to see Severus. She was on her way down to see him when she ran into Quirrell. Literally. They collided so hard that she nearly toppled over. He seemed to have come from out of nowhere.

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's m-my fault. Wasn't w-watching w-where I was g-going," he told her. Quirrell bent down and picked up something he must have dropped. It was a small golden harp.

"Wow," Alaina said as soon as she laid eyes on it. "That is gorgeous. I had no idea you could play."

"I can't," he told her. "G-Going to learn though."

She smiled. "Well I'm sure you'll be good at it. Forgive me for asking, Quirinus, but what are you doing on the fifth floor? I thought Defense Against the Dark Arts was on the first or second floor."

"It is. I was just going for a stroll."

"This late?"

He nodded.

"Well, I'll leave you to it. I'll see you later?"

"Of course."

Quirrell hurried away from her. Alaina watched closely to see where he was off to. It was awfully late for him to be walking about the castle. She made an impulsive decision to see what he was up to. As quietly as she could, she took off in the same direction she had seen him go. She had a hunch that he was up to no good. She finally caught up with him a few minutes later. He was riding the staircase to the third floor corridor. She knew that's where it lead because it was the one she and Severus had taken before.

"Quirrell!"

His head snapped in her direction and his normally pleasant face twisted into an evil grin. He took out his wand and threw a spell at her. Alaina wasn't ready for it and dove out of the way. Startled, she fished her wand from it's resting place. She fired a spell at him this time, but he dodged out of the way. He didn't look like the type to be a proficient duelist, but he had everyone fooled. He was pretty good.

"You should have minded your own business, Alaina," he called as he sent a spell flying her way. "Now I have to end you."

Alaina's eyes widened. She reacted quickly, shielding herself from his magical attacks. She could have taken him down in half a second if she'd wanted to, but she didn't want to open that door, afraid that she might not be able to close it without killing him. She didn't trust herself just yet. He was the one though. Voldemort was using him somehow. He had to know that he was disposable. Maybe she could convince him to stop the madness.

"Voldemort's just using you, Quirrell. You're nothing to him."

That statement seemed to anger him. "I'm everything to the Dark Lord." He rared back and sent a curse flying at her.

Alaina tried to react, but she didn't do it fast enough. It hit her square in the chest and she flew backwards into the wall behind her, unconscious. Quirrell turned and went up the stairs. He had business to take care of. He didn't have time to worry about anything else.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.6K 2.4K 70
Y/n Y/l/n found her way to be an assistant to the cold Severus Snape. Can she keep up with her all her duties? Or will her past drag her in the mud? ...
23.8K 2.8K 40
Severus Snape falls hopelessly in love with a girl named Lily but then he later found out that she was murdered by the Dark Lord. He was drowning in...
273K 6K 38
Nothing would of prepared Celia Malfoy for what she was about to be faced with. In her last year of Hogwarts coming to a close, the Potions Professo...
1.4K 92 27
Severus Snape, stuck in an endless cycle of grief and hatred, was prepared to lose everything at any instant - his life bound to only one purpose: pr...