MELTING A FROZEN HEART

Par serene_fictionist

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... Plus

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 2

1.8K 195 41
Par serene_fictionist

~*~
RAELYNN
~.~

Walking out of the party after greeting the host one last time, I breathed out in relief, having finally left the superficial company of people.

Sitting in my car, I started driving to the place that had introduced me to my combat trainer.

After an hour, I finally reached the neatly maintained automobile repairing garage, the lights still dimly lit, the sound of metal clinking reaching my ears.

I walked through the open entrance and towards the sound.

"You should be resting at this late in the night.", I said, leisurely leaning against a car.

"So should you.", he replied, still lying flat under the car he was repairing.

Pursing my lips, I sat on a nearby chair. A brief silence followed, until he chose to break it.

"Is it safe to assume something happened?", he asked, still working.

I chuckled.

Well, that's Liam.

I met him 7 years ago, on a night, when three men tried to abuse me.

He had saved me back then and upon my request, he took me under his tutelage to train me in combat.

He is one merciless teacher.

Never went easy on me while training and I didn't want him to either.

Amidst all the changes in my life, he remained constant.

"You're lost in thought.", his sudden voice startled me.

Gliding out from under the car, he stood up, dusting his shirt, collecting his tools.

For a man nearing his fifties, he sure is fit and strong, visiting gym everyday.

"I am." I replied.

He didn't ask me about it, just like always.

"I went to a party today. There was a man who stopped my hit so easily, it felt humiliating.", I said, clenching my jaw.

"You still have room for improvement.", he replied.

"I know that.", I said dryly.

"Did you act on impulse?", he asked calmly, wiping the grease off his tools.

"I did.", I answered honestly.

"The moment you give in to your emotions and act on impulse, you offer your opponent with not one but multiple openings. That was the first rule.", he said, displeased.

Rubbing my forehead, I pursed my lips.

I knew that. But in that moment, my instincts jumped in and I acted immediately.

"Why would you fight in a party?", he asked, intrigued.

"I was standing alone, far away from the hall for some fresh air. Things happened and I ended up trying to hit him.", I explained.

Liam shook his head.

"The most infuriating part is that not even a drop of wine he was holding spilled out. Was it that easy for him to stop me?", I clenched my jaw, trying to maintain my stoic.

"Who's this man anyway?", he asked, busily wiping the wind shield of the car.

"Vincent Marino", I replied dryly.

For the first time since I walked in, Liam paused in his actions, his hand freezing on the glass.

"You know him?", I asked, raising a brow.

"Everyone knows him.", he said, his voice slightly evasive.

I didn't press further.

Even though we have known each other for 7 years, he never once asked me about my past and neither did I ever ask him about the picture frame he has of a young woman holding a little girl.

"Don't get too involved with anyone from the Marino family, kid. It's for your own good.", his words caught my wavering attention.

"Why would I get involved with them, old man? However, can I ask why?", I asked, intrigued.

"Everyone in that family is a specimen of their own kind.", he muttered in a low voice, but I heard him anyway.

I understood he didn't want to say much about it, so I let it slide.

Turning around suddenly, he looked me straight in the eyes.

"Never ever get personally involved with any of the Marino brothers. DATING A MARINO IS OUT OF QUESTION. If you want to grow and survive in this world, you should know which battles to ignore.", Liam said extremely seriously, his tone a blend of firmness and warning, looking straight in my amber eyes.

I frowned, startled.

That was the first time he gave me advice on personal life.

We have always been just a teacher and student.

For him to step out of that line and advise me shows how serious he is about this.

"I don't have any intention of ever dating anyone, let alone a Marino.", I replied calmly.

Liam nodded, getting back to his work.

"I wanted to spar a little today. Especially after that gray-eyed jerk -", I was saying, but Liam cut me off.

"You're exhausted already. Come early morning tomorrow as usual.", he replied, cleaning up for the day.

"Fine.", I replied, nodding curtly.

I turned around, walking away.

As soon as I reached my villa, located in an area filled with houses of similar build, owned by upper middle class to high class families and bachelors, I parked my car and walked into my house.

Silence.

That's what my house is filled with. Cold silence.

Walking up the stairs to my room, washing up and changing into my night pants and shirt, I laid on the bed, the glass sliding door leading to the balcony, locked, curtains closed shut and a dim bed light glowing beside me.

Ever since that day 10 years ago, I could never sleep in complete darkness.

I've been attending therapy since the past three years, but some fears still stay stuck to our instincts.

Shaking my head off of all thoughts, I took a mild dose of sleeping pill and closed my eyes shut, welcoming sleep with open arms.

After a few hours of not so peaceful sleep, I woke up as usual at 3, completed my routine, drove to Liam's garage, trained under his harsh teaching and merciless sparring session, drove back home, took a shower, ate a cup of instant noodles and started my drive to my office.

Reaching the parking lot, I locked my car and walked to the elevator, curtly nodding at the employees greeting me.

Well, my office is not so big. It has a spacious building with a couple of floors, me residing in the top most one along with my secretary, a medium sized garden surrounding three sides of the building, a pathway from gate to the entrance, a couple of canteens and relaxation rooms.

We are still a growing brand, so we don't have huge campuses.

After reaching my floor and greeting others in the way, I entered my cabin and settled on my chair.

My cabin is a mixture of gray and black theme with a large table with my chair on one side and two visitors' chairs on the other, a couch a good distance from my table, a huge glass wall overlooking the front pathway of the estate, a bookshelf beside the couch and a coffee table in front of it.

Perfect for my taste.

Hearing a knock at the door, I straightened up.

"Come in.", I replied.

"Good morning, Ms. Baker.", my secretary, Jake Brown, a 53 year old man, said, walking in.

"Good morning, Mr. Brown.", I greeted back politely.

"All the preparations are done for the meeting scheduled at 10, mam. All the documents to be signed are reviewed.", he informed.

I nodded, pleased.

Wait.

Meeting.

I clenched my eyes tightly, just remembering something.

This is a meeting with Marino constructions.

But it's fine.

The man attending the meetings has always been Theodore Marino.

I don't need to ponder too much on seeing that jerk from last night.

After working through a few finances for an hour, it was finally time for the meeting.

"Mam, we've led Mr. Marino and their associates to the meeting room.", Mr. Brown informed, walking in.

I nodded, standing up and putting on my blazer, ready to attend the meeting.

Reaching the conference room, I walked in as Mr. Brown held the door open for me, my financial team awaiting my presence.

As soon as I walked in and looked at the associates from Marino constructions, my steps halted.

Gray eyes!

Even though I couldn't see his face properly yesterday, I remember those eyes and the face cut perfectly.

Though his face was impeccably stoic, I could see a subtle surprise flicker in his eyes.

He didn't know who I was?

"Ms. Baker.", my secretary probed me.

Maintaining my stoic, I walked to the jerk to greet him.

He stood up to greet me too.

He's tall and well built, his black blazer fitting his proportionate body perfectly, his eyes a deep gray, jaw sharp and slightly stubbled, his nose straight and his dark hair freely swept back in a subtle blend of classic and wavy quaff.

He's just as the tabloids say. Handsome.

Ahem, I'm just stating an observation.

"Pleasure to have you here, Mr. Marino.", I forwarded my hand in greeting, walking to him.

Clearing his throat, he looked at me.

"I'm afraid I can't shake your hand, Ms. Baker, my palm is stained with coffee droplets. Let's all just take a seat.", he said calmly.

He proceeded to sit, leaving my hand hanging in the air.

I felt embarrassment creep in, an awkwardness filling the air.

As he sat on the chair, he looked up, his gray eyes challenging my amber ones, a faint flicker of mock swirling in them.

Indeed a petty jerk!

********************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

Vince took his revenge! 😂

Well, it was Raelynn's turn to get embarrassed. 🤭

Why do you think her trainer, Liam, advise her to stay away from the Marinos? 🤔

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Do follow me on Insta with the same ID.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

8.6K 135 20
A thirteen year old girl named Rose Thornton was homeless at age eleven after her parents were killed in a car crash. Nobody cared to give her money...
834K 20K 16
A SHORT STORY! Six-year-old Roseanne, abused mentally and physically by her mother and stepfather. Her life is nothing but living hell with no one to...
835K 69.6K 34
"Excuse me!! How dare you to talk to me like this?? Do you know who I am?" He roared at Vanika in loud voice pointing his index finger towards her. "...
226K 4.5K 17
➤ STARTED SEPTEMBER 2021 ➤FINISHED FEBRUARY 2022 adriana hernandez , didn't have the best upbringing of life, her life was always secretive, her fam...