Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

51 : Tethered

364 36 55
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔲𝔤𝔲𝔰𝔱 2006

EJ was born on Earth, and it was the place he was raised. It was the place his son was born, and it was the place he had lived for twenty years. But that was all it was. The Earth held no special place in his heart, and he was all the gladder to leave it when the Doctor offered it to him.

It was just so well that the Doctor liked broken things, because EJ resembled that of a damaged toy, mangled by a child. He was waiting to be fixed. If anyone could do it, if anyone could find what was wrong with him, it would be the Doctor. Although, he didn't mind, because it was brilliant.

     Coming home, so to speak, was difficult. It held the life he might have lived; and his son. Josh was the main reason he came home. He had his friends, but no one mattered to him more.

     "Are you ready?" EJ asked as he turned to his son who was gripping his hand, tightly. They were stood outside the Tardis.

  Josh grinned widely, the biggest toothy smile that he had ever produced. "Yeah!"

  "Go on, then." He said, softly, gently guiding him forwards. "Open the doors."

     The Doctor had promised they could do something for Josh, and a trip in the Tardis seemed to be the perfect gift. Convincing Zoë hadn't been the easiest, but as soon as Simon agreed that I would be a once in a lifetime experience, she was onboard.

     EJ remembered the moment he stepped into the Tardis the first time himself, and he was sure it would be just as magical for Josh. There was something about the ship; and Josh loved the Doctor already. It wasn't as if there was much to do on that account.

A few days had passed since Josh's sixth birthday, and EJ was nervous. As the small boy pushed into the Tardis, his small hands barely able to hold the weight, he began to laugh. EJ had never known such a sound of enjoyment.

The Doctor was stood by the centre console with Rose sat on the spring seat beside him. They had been talking about something, but it became unimportant as soon as they saw Josh run around the control room. Something as mundane had never looked to fun.

"What do you think?" EJ wandered over to the console, and smiled. "Eh, Beanie?"

Josh paused, near the centre, and grinned. "It's big!"

"Hear that, Doctor? Bet you've never heard that one before." The Thompson boy grinned, bumping into the Doctor's side.

  "Oh, never." He shook his head, playing along just for Josh. "I didn't even notice! You're a genius!"

  The boy let out a coy giggle, extremely proud of himself. "Really?"

  "Really, really." The Doctor nodded, as he started up the engines for their journey to begin.

  "Where are we going?"

  EJ looked at the Doctor who shook his head in response, so he turned to his son, and he grinned taking a hold of his hands. "It's a surprise."

     From the moment they set off to the moment they landed, Josh kept trying to play with the Doctor, who was more than happy to comply. He pulled at the Doctors leg until he ran with him; EJ kept an eye on the console.

     However, EJ wasn't sure he'd ever smiled so much as he did in the Tardis, then. The fact that the Doctor was getting along with his son so well meant the world to him. It meant that it didn't matter how much he travelled in the Tardis, because the Doctor and Josh would be able to get along the entire time. They could take him with them a little, when he was older. It would be brilliant. EJ was sure it would be.

They weren't even given a moment to enjoy the landscape as Josh was straight out the doors without any kind of briefing. Thankfully, there wasn't anything too harmful outside, only a rocky surface, like a cliff edge, only, it spanned for miles.

The boy was running everywhere he could, and EJ wasn't going to let him do it alone. Sometimes he wondered where his energy came from, and he understood now that Josh inherited it.

"Is this a good present then, eh?" EJ queried as he caught Josh in his arms, their laughs echoing through the air. "Come on, Monkey!"

"It's great, Dad!" He giggled with absolute glee. "I love it!"

EJ had the hard job of keeping Josh out of the frequent puddles. The bright orange sun was setting on them, and it was beautiful. His sun couldn't appreciate it yet, but that didn't matter. They could come back when he was older, and would be just as beautiful. Age never changed a thing.

The Thompson boy looked back and saw the Doctor and Rose stood by the Tardis, watching the scene unfold. He wondered what they were talking about. The selfish part of him wondered if he was the topic of conversation. Really, he didn't want to know...

     "How long are you going to stay with me?" The Doctor asked as he turned to Rose, only sincerity in his eyes.

  She tilted her head back at him, gently. "Forever."

  Their shared grin was soft, but the Doctor quickly broke it by shouting at the top of his lungs. "EJ!"

  Beneath the sky of flying manta-rays, he looked much like an angel. His ears pricked with the sound of his name, and he span on his feet, keeping half an eye out for Josh. "What?"

  "How long are you staying?"

  "Another twenty minutes." It didn't look like he was being less than serious, until he continued with a smile. "With you, though? My whole life if you'll have me."

They stayed on the planet for as long as Josh wanted, and when he was tired, they went back to the Tardis, ready to take him home. EJ messaged Zoë to let her know where to pick him up. And, for one reason or another, Rose had decided to take Josh on his Tardis tour. She seemed to enjoy showing people around, and he wasn't going to complain.

      As much as Josh was beloved, EJ needed a rest from him. He was a wonderful handful.

     After only a few minutes, the Doctor looked to EJ. For once, EJ wasn't looking back at him. He was staring up at the ceiling of the Tardis, a million miles away. It was rare of him to have these calm moments, and seeing him this way, almost vulnerable, was a treat.

     "Ezra?"

  Without looking back he hummed. "Mmh."

  "I've got something for you." The Doctor told him, and that was enough to capture his attention. "Come here."

  The Thompson boy bounded towards him, excited. A thousand possibilities ran through his mind. What was possibly so brilliant or horrific that the Doctor had to wait for them to be alone. "What is it?"

  "Now, I don't know how we've travelled together this long, and it's completely slipped my mind, but... close your eyes."

     EJ did what was asked of him, and the Doctor took a hold of his hands. They were opened up, palm facing upwards, and left for a second. Then, a cold, metal object was placed in them. A rough edge scratched at his skin; already he had a guess to what it was. He didn't want to get ahead of himself.

     "Okay..." He said. "...Now open."

  A bright smile crossed EJ's lips when he saw a small key in the centre of his hand. It was a breath of fresh air. It was a promise. It was everything that EJ needed to confirm their relationship. "Oh my God! Are you sure?"

  "I meant to do it sooner." The Doctor promised with a nonchalant grin, leaning against one of the beams. "It's been in the coat for ages, just got a bit sidetracked, that's all."

  Naturally, EJ threw himself into the Doctor's arms and sighed in relief. "I don't even care. Thank you. I've got my own Tardis key!"

  "And d'you know what comes with a Tardis key?"

  "A lot of love and affection, preferably physical?" EJ offered, earning a short, concise laugh. He pocketed the key.

  "That's right." The Doctor scrunched his mouth up uncomfortably as he donned the rectangular glasses from his pocket. "A blood scan."

  "Blood scan?"

  "I know, I know, I'm sorry." The last time EJ had heard those words, he was strapped to a table with his heart completely open. "But the Tardis' body scans were inconclusive, which means there's almost definitely something else happening, and the only way to find that out is a blood scan. Well, more accurately, it's exome and genomic sequencing at the same time..."

  "I get it." EJ blurted. "Just do it. Get it over with."

     The Thompson boy understood that the Doctor didn't understand affection in the same way as everyone else. He didn't hug as often, he never kissed for pleasure as far as anyone was aware, and his verbal skills were subpar. And, despite it, every time he touched EJ's hands, goosebumps littered his skin.

It was like the Doctor knew a language which could make EJ feel things without ever saying a word. It didn't feel fair. He didn't know how to combat it.

His eyes were scrunched shut at first, but then they opened when there was a vague rustling. The Doctor was opening a sterilised needle from a Tardis aid kit. His slender fingers held EJ's hand close, and he used the needle to prick the end of his left middle finger.

The blood was slow to move, and appeared in a dot. The Doctor apologised profusely as he squeezed the end of his finger to exude more blood onto a small palate he could insert into the Tardis to analyse. He grimaced at the sight. He felt like an experiment all over again. It wasn't fair. Why did it have to be him? Why did the Beast have to say anything?

"I'm so sorry." The Doctor said, again, taking a dinosaur plaster from the aid kit and wrapping it around EJ's finger. "That must have been awful for you."

"Yeah, it was." He agreed, shaking it off. "But I can live with it. As long as she finds something... Literally anything."

Maybe the Doctor understood, and maybe he didn't, but EJ was at least thankful for the dinosaur plasters. They brought a smile to his face, and he didn't doubt they were there just for him. The Tardis seemed to like him more than Rose, which was something.

A few minutes later, Josh surged back into the room, Rose trailing along behind him. He jumped straight into EJ's arms with a laugh. He seemed so joyous that it was painful.

"Was that good, Beanie?" He queried, softly, holding him tightly.

The boy nodded profusely. "I saw your room!"

"You did, did you?" He sent a skeptical look Rose's way, but she just shrugged. They'd have to talk about it later.

"It's black!"

"It is black." EJ agreed, knowing that the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere. He just said things like that, all of the time.

They were only in the Tardis for a minute or two more when they landed. It was a park in London, somewhere fairly near to Zoë's home. When they opened the doors, she was already stood out there with Simon, arms open for Josh to run into, but he didn't. He hung back for a moment longer to cling to his Dad.

"Thank you." He whispered. "Love you."

"Love you too, Beanie." He placed a kiss on the side of his forehead before releasing him to his mother.

"How was that, Josh?" Zoë asked, crouching down to his level, holding him tight. "Was it fun?"

"It was rocky! And flying things!"

"He wasn't flying things." EJ clarified before he got himself into trouble. "There were flying things. Flying manta-rays, actually."

"Go on." Zoë coaxed him towards Simon who outstretched his hand. "There's an ice cream truck over there."

"Bye, Joshy!" EJ called to him, and the little boy waved profusely.

"Bye Daddy!"

"Bye Simon!" He called again, just for the sake of it. "Nice to see you!"

"Yeah," The man half-sighed. "You too."

It wasn't the weather for ice cream seeing as it looked like it was going to rain (despite EJ's core values that it was always time for ice cream) and unless Zoë had something she wanted to say privately, she'd clearly changed her mind. When Josh and Simon were out of earshot, and the Doctor and Rose were just coming out of the Tardis, she sent him a poignant look. He knew it well.

"Have you told him yet?" She asked; an innocent enough question which flew straight over his head.

Obliviously, EJ hummed in response. "Told him what?"

She rolled her eyes. "Obviously not."

"What?" He asked as she hugged him, warmly. "What is it? What?"

  "It's okay, don't worry about it." Zoë said as she began to back away, waving at them all to say her goodbyes. "Stay safe, EJ."

  With a cheeky grin, he turned back to face the Doctor. "Then that wouldn't be like me at all."

     Rose looked like she was about to go camping as they walked back to the Powell Estate. EJ was excited to see Jackie, as always, because she was just brilliant, and slightly unhinged sometimes. However, as they walked back, EJ grabbed the Doctor's hand in his own.

     It wasn't necessary. He didn't need to do it. But something was calling out to him. He needed to say thank you, and sometimes, silence spoke louder than words ever could.

     Rose opened the door to the flat with her key, and called out. "Mum! It's us! We're back!"

  Jackie sighed as she walked out of the kitchen, half-mad, half grinning, embracing her daughter as soon as she was able. "Oh, I don't know why you bother with that phone, you never use it!"

"Come here."

Her arms wrapped around her in glee. "I love you so much." And then, when she let her go, she engulfed EJ. "And you! I love you too!"

"Love you too, Jackie." He smiled into her shoulder as he bent down.

The Doctor was attempting to squeeze past without any physical affection, but was stopped as she let go of EJ. She grabbed onto his coat and pulled him back so that they could embrace. Only, it wasn't an embrace, as she kissed him. It was definitely not consensual.

"Oh, no you don't! Come here! Mwah! Oh, you lovely big fella! Oh, you're all mine! Yes, you are!" She pulled him back for another kiss, and EJ didn't know whether he was shocked or amused.

Jackie took off towards the living room where Rose was, and the Thompson boy sniggered at the sight of the Doctor wiping his mouth disgusted. "Jackie?"

He held his hands up in defence. "It's not my fault."

"Never said it was." EJ replied as he sauntered into the lounge after them, hardly looking at the Doctor as they rested beside the fireplace.

"I've got loads of washing for you, and I got you this." Rose was part way through taking off her bag, groaning as she handed it off to her mother. "It's from the market in this asteroid bazaar. It's made of... um, what's it called?"

  "Bazoolium." Said the Doctor as he picked up a magazine.

  EJ sighed. "I love that word."

  "Bazoolium." Rose told Jackie. "When it gets cold, yeah, it means it's gonna rain. When it's hot, it'll be sunny. You can use it to tell the weather."

  "I've got a surprise for you an'all."

  She rolled her eyes. "Oh, I get a Bazoolium- she doesn't even say thanks."

  "Guess who's coming to visit?" There was a sparkle in Jackie's eyes; something childlike. "You're just in time. He'll be here at ten past. Who d'you think it is?"

  "I don't know."

  "Go on," Jackie egged her on. "Guess."

  She scoffed. "I hate guessing."

  "No, you don't." EJ called up, smiling at the various pictures on the mantelpiece.

  "Just tell me."

  "It's your grandad. Grandad Prentice." Jackie smiled to herself as she sauntered back towards the kitchen. "He's on his way. Any minute. Right, cup of tea."

  Rose seemed to freeze, and the two men approached her as she hummed. "She's gone mad."

  "Tell me something new." The Doctor remarked, and EJ elbowed his ribs.

  "Grandad Prentice, that's her dad... but he died like ten years ago. Oh my God, she's lost it. Mum?" She almost ran to the kitchen, seeing Jackie there holding a cup of tea. "What you just said about Grandad..."

  She was more than excited. "Any second now!"

  "But he passed away. His heart gave out." Subconsciously, EJ touched his chest. "D'you remember that?"

  The Doctor could see how uncomfortable he was, and took the boy's free hand in his own. "Thank you." He whispered.

  Jackie's smile never faulted. "Course I do."

  "Then how can he come back?"

  "Why don't you ask him yourself?" She grinned like it was Christmas. "Ten past. Here he comes."

     A greyish figure moved from the walls and into the room. It was ghostly. It was tall, maybe six foot, with this gentle glowing surrounding it. The way it moved defied the laws of physics, and because it was vaguely human, it made it all the more unsettling.

"Here we are then!" Jackie smiled towards them, paired next to this grey thing. "Dad, say hello to Rose. Hasn't she grown?"

     The Doctor and EJ shared one look and they sprinted from the flat. This couldn't have just been happening in this home, and they had to see it in action. So, they ran into the courtyard to find people going about their daily lives. Only now, there were ghostly people surrounding everyone.

     It didn't make sense. Why had no one mentioned it? Even Josh had managed to avoid it...

    The Doctor mumbled beneath his breath. "They're everywhere."

  Rose turned back to look at him, and called. "Doctor, look out!"

EJ hadn't seen the ghost, and if he had, he would have warned the Doctor himself because seeing it walk through him was uncomfortable. He couldn't even begin to imagine the pain he felt. The only way he could try and understand was a simple phrase; like someone walking over his grace. Only, he was being physically walked through.

"You haven't got long." Jackie warned as she joined them outside, oblivious to the Doctor's discomfort. "Midday shift only lasts a couple of minutes, they're about to fade."

"What d'you mean shift?" The Doctor queried. "Since when did ghosts have shifts? Since when did shifts have ghosts? What's going on?"

"Ooh, he's not happy when I know more than him, is he?"

"Being the smartest person in the room matters to him." EJ shrugged, resting his hands on his hips. "I wouldn't take it personally."

The Doctor was stood still; he hadn't taken it all in yet. "No one's running or screaming or freaking out..."

"Why should we?" The older woman shrugged before checking her watch. "Here we go! Twelve minutes past!"

Just as she spoke, the ghosts disappeared from the world around them, like they had never been there in the first place. Jackie didn't seem to be bothered by any of it, but the Doctor was frantic. There was something going on that he didn't understand.

This wasn't apart of history.

𖤐

Hi Guys,
I hope you're having a wonderful day!

This is your warning to comment anything at all you would like to see during Part 3's chapters (anything between the Runaway Bride and Last of the Time Lords).

Please let me know here as soon as possible. I will begin writing the chapters soon enough, and any little things I can add in or any ideas you want to see I would love to incorporate as long as it fits the overall plot.

Love you lots,
Emma <3

𖤐

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

953 65 11
Laura was a simple girl from Scotland, but tragedy seemed to follow her. Every night she kept having dreams about this man, a man who she would follo...
9.9K 136 102
ᴇʟʏꜱɪᴀɴ (ᴀᴅᴊ.) • ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪꜰᴜʟ ᴏʀ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ; ᴅɪᴠɪɴᴇʟʏ ɪɴꜱᴘɪʀᴇᴅ; ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇꜰᴜʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ • ᴊᴜʟɪᴇᴛ ꜰʀᴇɴᴄʜ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ ʟɪꜰᴇ. ᴀ ɢɪʀʟꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ, ᴀ ᴊᴏʙ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀ...
26.4K 893 45
I won. I won the family wizard competition all for nothing. Justins in the wizard world, he took over for Professor Crumbs. Max still runs the sub st...
8.5K 168 14
'The Great Star' a title passed down to Celestia Andromeda when she was just a young child, and since then all she has ever seen was darkness. While...