The Desire Variable | Rewrite

Bởi DarlaCassic

MATURE CONTENT, +18 ONLY When Andy starts a complex and steamy love affair with her new boss, she discovers t... Xem Thêm

⸻ ONE ⸻
⸻ TWO ⸻
⸻ FOUR ⸻
⸻ FIVE ⸻
⸻ SIX ⸻
⸻ SEVEN ⸻
⸻ EIGHT ⸻
⸻ NINE ⸻
⸻ TEN ⸻
⸻ ELEVEN ⸻
⸻ TWELVE ⸻
⸻ THIRTEEN ⸻
⸻ FOURTEEN ⸻
⸻ FIFTEEN ⸻
⸻ SIXTEEN ⸻
⸻ SEVENTEEN ⸻
⸻ EIGHTEEN ⸻
⸻ NINETEEN ⸻
⸻ TWENTY ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-ONE ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-TWO ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-THREE ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-FOUR ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-FIVE ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-SIX ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-SEVEN ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-EIGHT ⸻
⸻ TWENTY-NINE ⸻
⸻ THIRTY ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-ONE ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-TWO ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-THREE ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-FOUR ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-FIVE ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-SIX ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-SEVEN ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-EIGHT ⸻
⸻ THIRTY-NINE ⸻
⸻ FOURTY ⸻

⸻ THREE ⸻

10.6K 143 6
Bởi DarlaCassic

As suspected, I fit right in with those geeks. That becomes clearer than ever when we come back from our tour and the guys are debating about the best Batman out there. I end up settling the argument when I mention my personal favorite, Kevin Conroy, from The Animated Series. That's one they can all agree on.

Mason and Joseph give me my tasks for the morning, and I breeze through them with ease. So far, working for Kelex isn't proving as challenging as I worried it might be. Aside from my boss, of course.

Then, as if I need more proof that I've found my people, the lunch break comes. That's when I realize I've landed in heaven. These nerds play first person shooting video games in their downtime, and I decide this job is the best thing that ever happened to me.

"We usually play Counter Strike," Oliver explains to me. "You in, young Padawan?"

"I haven't played it in ages."

"Are you worried you'll lose?" Brian asks.

"I haven't played CS in a while, but I can still kick your ass." That swiftly kills his hopes.

I haven't prepared anything for my lunch, still needing to do some grocery shopping, so I buy a few things from the vending machines so I can eat them during the loading screens. I pick She-Hulk as my alias, so everyone gets it's me. After a few rounds, I'm happy to see myself in second place; behind Grizzly, Steven's alias. As the game goes, I get more comfortable, and gain on him. That is, until a player named Luthor joins us. He quickly rises up to my score with his impressive skills. Because of this new player, my team gets slaughtered round after round.

When he kills me for the fourth time in a row, and with a perfect headshot at that, I let out a groan and frustratingly take a bite of my Snickers. "Who the hell is Luthor?" I ask, angrily chewing as my patience runs thin.

Oliver laughs before sending me a compassionate look. "It's the boss."

Lex Luthor. Oh, that is clever...

There I've been, comparing him to Superman, when all along he's been his nemesis. The man is assimilating himself with an evil genius, and that should be enough to kill my curiosity about him. But maybe I'm a little twisted in the head, because I kinda like Lex Luthor in Smallville.

We keep playing, and when the lunch break ends, I sourly stare at the final scoreboard. I'm very close to having done better than Steven, but still far from "Luthor."

Joseph gives me a shoulder tap, so I turn to him. "Don't worry," he signs. "You'll beat them in no time."

"Thanks. I may have a chance with Steven, but not much with the boss."

"He barely ever joins us. Once a quarter, at best. You'll have to settle for the second place when he plays."

His kindness is like a balm for my heart, and it brings a wide smile to my lips. I work for about an hour before receiving an email from someone in the HR department. Time to sign the last contracts for my employment.

On my way to the stairs, I pull out my phone to check my messages. In our family group chat, my parents are wishing me luck while Tyler is telling me to act normal for once and not bomb this one. Kate, my best friend, texted saying she has faith in me and I can do anything. As I climb up the stairs, I respond to my family and invite Tyler to go fuck himself in a private message, making sure I won't trip on a step and fall on my face.

When I reach the twenty-eighth floor, I push through the door, a cheerful smile on my face as I answer Kate. We've been friends for most of our lives. She's the sister I never had, and I'm hers. Since we keep no secrets from one another, I decide to tell her about my misogynistic BILF--boss I'd like to fuck.

Just as I hit Send, I violently bump into a firm, warm, and broad body. My phone slips from my hands and falls on the carpeted floor with a dull thump.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologize, lifting my head. My entire frame goes still when I see who I collided with, and my lower stomach does some kind of backflip that I keenly feel.

Of course, of all the people I can run into, it has to be him. Do I have the ability to summon the man with my thoughts?

I stare up into the icy gray eyes behind his glasses. When he sees it's me, he frowns and bends to grab my phone before I can. He glances at the crack on the screen--which was already there before the fall--and then hands it back to me with a shadow of amusement.

"You should look upfront when you walk." His voice is stern and cold, but I barely notice as he adjusts his glasses and my brain goes M.I.A. Damn it, since when do I have a thing for men wearing glasses?

Trying to appear unfazed, I look at the papers in his hands. He wasn't looking either, or this wouldn't have happened. He seems to catch my train of thoughts. "I'm working. You were texting. Not the same." Well, he is kind of right, so I keep my mouth shut.

"Are you looking for HR?"

"Yes, I have to sign my contract."

"Third door on the left," he explains, before going back on his way. After two steps, he turns to me again, hesitant. A faint touch of appreciation veils his stoic expression. "By the way, not too bad, She-Hulk."

Not waiting for my answer, he resumes his course. I stand there like an idiot, watching him walk away. Pride swells in my chest, not because he is my boss, but because he is a fantastic player, and getting recognition from him is grand.

As he walks away from me, I can't help but take a few seconds to admire his form. He's at least 6'1, broad shoulders, narrow hips, and has a lean frame. He isn't buff, but he definitely works out. There is no doubt he does squats. Not with that ass.

Eventually, he disappears into a room, and losing sight of him gives me back control of my brain.

For the tenth time today, I scold myself when I glance down at my phone. My screen is still on, and on it, the message I sent Kate. Hi, babe! I miss you so much already. I can't wait to see you tonight. It's going great, except for my boss, who's both a sexist asshole and the hottest man I've ever seen.

Okay, if earlier I wanted for the ground to open up and swallow me, it's nothing compared to now. I'm one embarrassing moment away from leaving everything and becoming a llama shepherd in the Andes mountains.

Could he have read it? He had his glasses on, so he could have, but he didn't gaze at my phone for more than two seconds, and the cracked screen could have distracted him from what laid behind it. It's very possible he didn't read it. He would have done something otherwise, like fire me, argue he isn't sexist...anything.

My phone buzzes in my hand. Kate replied. OMG! You have to tell me everything in detail tonight!!! Can you snap a picture of him?

I roll my eyes and type a quick answer. Calma tus tetas, blondie, I'm absolutely not taking a picture of him. I'll spill you the tea tonight, tho. Gtg, love you.

I walk to the door Alexander told me, shoving my phone into my pocket.

Despite the very cold email, the two women at HR are lovely. I sign all the necessary papers and they give me a copy of the company's rules and regulations. On my walk back to the stairs, I can't shake the smile from my face. It's official. I'm a full-stack developer at Kelex.

I spend the rest of the afternoon working with Mason, getting accustomed to the way things work around here. When we reach five-thirty, everyone packs up, ready to go home. It's nice to have normal hours for once. I'm particularly exhausted after this intense first day. Once all my things are ready to go, I hook my over-ear headphones around my neck and I walk out at the same time as Oliver.

"Is it weird if I say I'm thrilled you turned out to be a woman?" he asks as we walk to the elevators.

"Maybe a little bit," I laugh, half-amused, half-flattered.

"Yeah, I figured... I'm not sure how to explain it. I feel like you'll add some delicateness to the office."

"I wouldn't bet on that."

He laughs and pushes the elevator's button. "Well then, I'll say you're nicer to look at than another bearded nerd, then. Steven is enough."

Unfamiliar with this kind of situation, I don't know how to reply to his compliment, so I plaster an awkward smile on my face. Oliver is cute and charming in his own way, and he has the confidence that comes with it. Discreetly looking at him, I take in his profile. He's taller than me by a good eight inches, and his auburn hair makes him stand out. His build is slender, but not to a fault, and his face is a little angular, but it gives him an undeniable charm.

To my relief, other people join us in our waiting for the elevator, including Tamika. She comes next to me and elbows me slightly to get my attention.

"So, how was your first day here?" she signs, smiling kindly.

"She aced it," Oliver answers in my stead. "She even impressed Lex."

"I guess I did alright." The elevator arrives, and we all move inside.

"Are you liking your coworkers?" she then signs.

I look at Oliver, who's clearly interested in the answer. "So far, so good. I really think I'm going to love this job."

"I'm glad to hear that. You seem like a great addition to the team."

We chat the whole way down, and when we reach the ground floor and exit the building, Tamika wishes us a good evening and rushes to an awaiting car.

"Are you taking the bus?" Oliver asks once we're alone. We're two blocks from a central transport station on Pike Street, and I have a direct line to my neighborhood.

"Yes, the D line, to Ballard."

"Ah, I'm on the C, I get off at Lincoln Park. Too bad. At least we get to walk to the station together."

Ok, now he has to be flirting, at least a little bit. It isn't so far stretched that someone would be interested in me like this, but it isn't a common thing either. I'm agreeable to look at, from what I've been told--and not only by my mother. But I'm not breaking necks when I pass people in the streets either.

I don't exactly like my pear-shaped body, which has earned me a few "fat ass" and "ironing board" comments in my teen years. I have a slim waist and narrow shoulders, but my hips are wide and thighs thick. It's what my mom qualifies as a "healthy layer of fat," which, in my book, is still fat. My hair is a whole other issue, inherited from my mother's messy dark curls. Every shampoo is a lottery, and it's more often bad than good, and rarely ever great. Today is an okay day.

While I don't exactly like my body, I really like my face, though. My eyes are a pretty shape, almond-like, their color a basic brown, but surrounded by a thick row of long eyelashes I got from my dad's side. My nose is unnoticeable and dusted with freckles that get darker in the summer. I have rather plump lips, from my mother's genes. My jawline is a little square-y, but just enough to give me some character, according to my abuela.

Is Oliver receptive to my mix of flaws and assets? He himself is alluring, sweet, and funny, which is quite an irresistible combination. If I were looking for someone, a guy like him would be high on the list.

I'm taken out of my thoughts when Oliver clears his throat, still waiting for my answer. "Yes! Sorry, of course. We'll walk together to the stop."

As we walk, we talk about anything and everything. Turns out we have many of the same interests, from video games to movies, and a passion for old science fiction shows. We stop at a crossing, and it's already time to part. His body leans forward for a fraction of a second before he eventually extends his hand. I shake it, and with a wave, we part.

I reach my platform and see him step on his at the same time. Our eyes meet, and we smile at each other one last time.

Despite a rocky start, today was a great day, after all.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

160K 790 21
When successful CEO Claire Walker's secret nymphomania spirals out of control, she hires Aaron Rodgers, a handsome and struggling young man, as her b...
84.6K 2.4K 42
*Book 1 of CEO series* "Am I a villain?" Mr. Martinez probed, pinning me with his intense gaze. "Yes!" He chuckled and instantly he took two large s...
166K 12.6K 42
Enemies to lovers- Boss/employee- Bickering and Bantering- Billionaire romance Second chance romance HEA romance novel If it weren't for bad luck, I'...
3.4M 147K 91
When Andy starts a complex and steamy love affair with her new boss, she discovers there's more to his arrogant facade than she originally thought. •...