Nepenthe

Bởi hailsnikita

Like a moth to a flame. Peeta never could stay away. nepenthe (n.) something that can make you forget grief o... Xem Thêm

District 12
Act I
In The Skies
That is Mahogany
High Scores
The Interviews
High ground
In the Meadow
Stay With Me
Lover Boy
Act II
Victor Village
Feed The Monster
Nightmare Tour
A Personal Proposal
The New Game

On Fire

78 5 2
Bởi hailsnikita

Peacekeepers escorted them separately into the building. Ivy went to the girl's side where others were already in the middle of grooming or getting done. They laid her down on the metal table and looked her over to see how she looked before they started the grooming.

They started with washing her down then plucked at her eyebrows before waxing her whole body of any hair. She winced and groaned at the pain but the people kept going. The lady had her sit up and brushed her hair till there were no tangles.

"Okay miss. We'll take you to your room to meet your stylist Cinna. He's new but I've heard he's got great designs."

••

"Hello, my name is Cinna." He introduced himself and shook her hand.

"Ivy. Ivy Aurora." She greeted back.

"Well Ivy I'm sorry this happened to you but I'm here to help you in any way I can."

"Well, that's a first. Everyone else just congratulates us."

"Well, I don't see a point in that." He shook his head. "So tonight we have the tribute parade where I can show you off to the world."

"You're gonna make me look pretty?"

"You already are. I'm just here to help you make an impression. Usually, they dress people in the clothes for their district. Yours is coal miners but I wanna put a spin on it. I want to do something they're gonna remember." He paused. "Did they explain the sponsors?"

"Yeah, but I'm not- or haven't been good at making friends as of late."

"We'll see about that." He moved her hair around to help his vision. "I've got a great idea I think the people will love."

••

Cinna had spun her hair into loops of a bun and dusted golden sparkles through her hair. He stepped back to admire his work and smiled. She wore a strapless black dress that flared out in sparkly lace, it almost perfectly matched Peetas all black suit with black sparkles except he had his hair slicked down.

"It's safe I promise. It's not real fire. These suits are built so you won't feel a thing."

"Looks pretty really to me," Peeta said looking at the demonstration Cinna was showing them.

"That's the idea. You ready?" Cinna asked looking between the two victors. "Don't be afraid you two."

Ivy looked back at Peeta and gave him a reassuring smile. "We're not." She breathed out. "We're ready."

Peeta helped Ivy up to the chariot and soon enough the horse started.

People cheered and shouted as the sparks flew off Ivy and Peeta's outfits. Ivy was shocked to see so many and even more so that it was for them. The outlying district.

Ivy looked up when people started screaming even louder if it were possible and saw her and Peeta on projection banners.

She smiled and waved at the people hoping it'd help with sponsors. She noticed Peeta look at her before feeling the brush of his hand. Startled she jerked back until she realized what he was trying to do. She interlocked their fingers and Peeta held them up for the people to see.

The crowd went wild and they continued to smile and wave at the crowd as they settled into a stopping position to face President Snow.

"Welcome. Welcome. Tributes. We welcome you." He paused as the crowd cheered again. "We salute. Courage. And your sacrifice. and we wish you a happy Hunger Games. And maybe the odd be ever in your favor."

As soon as the speech was done the chariots headed back to the waiting stylists.

"That was amazing." Cinna gushed as he walked toward his tributes.

"You are all anybody's going to be talking about." Effie praised the group.

"So brave." Haymitch smiled at the tributes and then at Cinna. "Hmm." He looked past them and at the District 2 tributes Clove and Cato. "Let's uh... let's go upstairs."

Peeta and Ivy looked behind them to see the two glaring at them before following after their stylists and mentor.

"So each of the districts gets their own floor and because you're 12 you get the penthouse," Effie told them.

They loaded up into the elevator and soon enough were on the top floor. Ivy's mouth dropped at the colorful decor and the expensiveness of the room punched her in the gut.

Effie talked about the room but Ivy couldn't stop looking at everything around her. It was such a difference from the shacks they had in 12.

"Well get undressed and pick whatever room you wish," Effie told them. "Just make sure to give Cinna the clothes back. We'll see you for dinner."

Ivy and Peeta got handed new clothes by Cinna and his friend and they changed in the bathrooms before handing them back and choosing their bedrooms.

Ivy walked into her and checked out the bedding and giant TV which had all kinds of weird modes from Capitol citizens just walking around to the desert and forest.

••

"Want to see something cool?" Peeta asked walking into the room.

Ivy raised a brow confused but nodded anyway. "Sure as long as you don't kill me."

"I promise," he said as he held his heart. "Follow me."

And so she did. She followed him into the elevator and they went to the roof where there was a small garden and chairs. He showed her to the edge where they could look down and see people milling about. But the real beauty was when they looked straight ahead to see all the lit-up buildings and the sunset in the sky.

"Wow. It's so pretty."

"I know," he said looking at her. When she looked back at him he looked back at the sky and continued, "Effie said this part was allowed to go to. It's very peaceful."

"Indeed."

••

They were all let into the training center to meet a woman named Alvea who told them their rules and responsibilities.

"In two weeks twenty-three of you will be dead. One of you will be alive." Ivy glanced over all the students and her eyes landed on Cato who was glaring at her and Peeta. She quickly looked away and looked back to Alvea. "Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days. Particularly to what I'm about to say. First. No fighting with the other Tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. My advice is; Don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword but most of you will die from natural causes. 10% from infection. 20% from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife."

The groups split into four as they each did different exercises before doing their own thing. Ivy did the handlebars first where you grabbed onto the loops and carried them with you as you looped them on a hook till you got halfway and picked up the second set.

The boy in front of her fell halfway and it was her turn. The trainer gave her the loops and she was off. She struggled halfway and almost fell trying to grab the other loops but she was determined to continue. She grabbed the other loops and made it a fourth of the way before her hand slipped and she landed on the ground.

She humphed and got back up to go to the next station which had throwing knives, stars, spears, and tridents. She picked up a few stars and waited for the trainer to let her go. Once she got the okay she aimed at the head and heart. She made the heart but missed the head. She shook her nerves off and grabbed a knife but before she could throw it Cato started yelling at another tribute.

"Hey! Where's my knife? Huh? Where did you put it?" He shoved the kid. "I put my knife over there!"

"Don't touch me!" The boy yelled back.

"Fuck! You took my knife!"

Trainers and peacekeepers came in and tried to separate the boys as they yelled back and forth about the missing knife.

"I didn't touch your knife. I didn't touch your knife!"

Ivy saw Threah looking up and smiling and she followed his gaze to see his district partner up in the nets wielding the knife as she smiled at Cato. Ivy couldn't help but laugh quietly hearing Cato get mad and threaten the boy.

"Everybody back in lines!" Alvea blew her whistle letting the tributes know the show was over.

••

"He's a career. You know what that is?"

"From District 1," Ivy said as she cut into her steak and took a bite savoring the flavor.

"..and 2," Haymitch added. "They train in a special academy until they're eighteen then they volunteer, By that point, they're pretty lethal.

"But they don't receive any special treatment," Effie explained. "In fact, they stay in the exact same apartment as you do. And I don't think they let them have dessert, and you can." She pointed at the desert with her fork.

"So how good are they?" Peeta asked.

"Obviously they are pretty good, they win it almost every year, but-"

"Almost.." Effie cut in.

"They can be arrogant. And arrogance can be a big problem. I hear you can throw." Haymitch noted looking at Ivy.

"I'm alright." She shrugged. "My brother taught me before he died and then my dad took over."

"Jasper Covey right? He had a good arm."

"Yeah... I know."

Sensing she didn't want to talk about her brother Peeta said, "She's better than alright. I've seen her throw many times. 9/10 times she hits exactly what she's aiming at."

"Well, Peeta's strong."

"What?" Peeta asked confused.

"He can throw a hundred-pound sack of flour right over his head. I've seen it."

"Okay, well I'm not gonna kill anybody with a sack of flour."

"No, but you might have a better chance of winning if you can grab something heavy that can crush them."

"I don't have much of a chance Ivy okay?
It's true. Everybody knows it."

"Peeta come on. You do have a good chance. You're smart and if you can hone your strength into fighting that's an advantage."

"Well, you should have seen the looks on my family's faces- my mom's face. None of them think I could win. They said I was stupid and I should have left you alone 'cause you had a good chance of winning on your own."

Ivy slumped her shoulder and her face softened. "Peeta..."

"I'm not very hungry," he said before walking off.

Ivy wiped her mouth. "I'm done too. I'm gonna talk to him." Ivy took off and followed him to his room. "Peeta wait. Who cares what your rotten family thinks? I believe in you okay? If we work as a team I'm sure we can go far. My dad said I'm smart but out of the two of us you are definitely smarter. Just... don't put yourself down. If you give up now you won't make it." She put out her pinky something they had done often as kids. "Promise? Promise that you will not give up and believe in yourself."

He stared for a moment before putting out his pinky and locking it with hers. "Fine. I promise Ivy Aurora that I won't give up."

"Thank you." She dropped his hand and turned back around to head to her room. He stared after her until she disappeared around the corner.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

717K 14.2K 35
𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐎𝐝𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐅𝐚𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐜 | 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞 - 𝐌𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐣𝐚𝐲 𝐈𝐈 ⤷ 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 ✓ | 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧! - 𝐒𝐚�...
33.7K 1.3K 18
dusk comes like death... finnick odair
876 13 13
THG Fanfiction- Katniss has never talked to her savior, Peeta Mellark, but when their is a bump in their relationship things happen. Will she thank...
1.3K 50 19
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐑 - ❝𝙞 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨.❞ ❝𝙞𝙩 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜.❞ ✫...