The Swirling Storm Inside

By jess_hi

Nina grew up on The Isle of the Lost along with many other kids, although many things were different about he... More

Chapter 1-The Guards
Chapter 2- Odette
Chapter 3-Leave Me Alone
Chapter 4- Hey Chad
Chapter 5- I'm Smarter
Chapter 6- Horses
Chapter 7- Let's Party
Chapter 8- Not an Accomplishment
Chapter 9- Uh, Thank You
Chapter 10- I Am Enough
Chapter 11- I'm Fine Just Stupid
Chapter 12- Who Am I Supposed To Be?
Chapter 13- The Passageway
Chapter 14- A Home
Chapter 15- Soldier Boy
Chapter 16- Lots to Catch Up On
Chapter 17- The Last Night
Chapter 18- Tonight Was About You (Spicey)
Chapter 20- This Life
Chapter 21- I'm Always Down for a Drink
Chapter 22- Thank You for Everything (Spicy)
Chapter 23- You Done?
Chapter 24- The Storm Had Come
Chapter 25- I Proved Both Wrong
Chapter 26- I Do Have You

Chapter 19- I Know It's A Lot

216 5 3
By jess_hi

I woke up to a pounding on the door, one that matched the pounding on my head.

"Go away!" I yelled, cuddling in closer to the warm body beside me.

"Nina? It's Evie. Your family is going to be here soon and I wanted to give you a dress to wear to Arendelle," she said, and I bolted up straight, almost hitting Jace in the face.

"Jeez watch it," he muttered, and I threw my blankets over him, hiding him fairly well.

"Shhh," I whispered, throwing on the Auradon Prep robe that was hanging on my door before opening it.

"Hey Evie," I said, smiling at the blue girl.

Though with the slight pounding in my head it came out as more of a grimace than anything happy.

"I brought you some medicine and electrolytes for your headache too," she said, handing me a bottle of liquid, a bottle of some pills and a dress on a hanger.

"Thank you Evie," I said, and she smiled softly before giving me a hug.

"I wish you the best of luck Nina. You truly are living the dream. A huge castle, get to be a princess. Ah it's wonderful," she breathed, before letting me go.

"Well, maybe I can have someone over on the summer. I'm sure there would be an open room," I said, and her face lit up.

"That would be wonderful!"

She smiled at me, which I tried to return, but I couldn't stop thinking about the boy that was hidden under the blankets of my bed.

"Well I will see you later?" I said, and she nodded, backing up.

"Of course! Good luck with your journey," she said, turning away.

I closed the door, locking it before turning to the pile of blankets on my bed.

"You can come out now," I said and he burst from the blankets, jokingly gasping for air.

"I thought I was going to suffocate under there," he said, and I rolled my eyes.

"Drama queen," I replied, and he chuckled, getting up.

"Good morning Princess," Jace said softly, coming up behind me.

"Don't get all mushy on me now," I said, and he chuckled again, giving me a quick kiss on my neck.

"Wouldn't dream of it."

Pulling off my robe, I went to grab some undergarments, and Jace pulled me towards him, his breath on my neck.

"Little tease," he murmured, and I felt that flush on my cheeks again.

"I would never," I teased, pulling away to get dressed.

"You'll be back at Auradon Prep next year hey?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"I would assume so. As far as I've seen all of the royals go to school until they've graduated."

Pulling on the dress that Evie gave me, I smiled, because she always knew how to make something I would like.

It was a little more innocent than I normally go for, but it might be a good idea to show as that.

"Look at you, all Princessey," Jace said, getting dressed again.

"Yeah yeah. Well I mean, I am a princess now," I replied, smoothing out my hair as I put the tiara that Evie gave me back on my head.

Glancing around, I found my regular black heeled boots, throwing on some rings to put my Isle style back to it.

After doing my regular makeup, there was a loud pounding on the door, that was very insistent.

"My gosh can't I have some time alone," I muttered, walking past Jace to throw open the door.

Jay was standing there, his hand still up and fisted from knocking on the door.

"What do you want?" I snapped, stepping back into my room to pack a couple things.

They said not to pack clothes, but I wanted to bring my pointe shoes, and a couple dancing things so I could stay up to date over the summer.

"What is the guard doing here?" He asked, stepping into the room.

"He is here because I wanted him to be. That is what he gets for not pushing me to be someone I'm not," I answered, closing up my backpack and glancing at Freja.

She was seated at my feet, watching Jay with a caution that I knew was coming from me.

Gently petting her head, I raised my eyebrow, watching him.

"I wanted to apologize for kissing you without asking last night. That was inappropriate," he said, standing stiffly as he glanced between Jace and I.

"You don't regret kissing me. You just don't like how I reacted," I replied, keeping eye contact with him.

"Well, I, uh."

"When you are ready to apologize properly, you can come back," Jace said, stepping in.

"I don't need you fighting my battles either soldier boy. I am perfectly capable of taking care of them all on my own," I snapped again, now turning a glare to Jace.

He almost looked a little hurt there, before remembering himself and backing up.

"He is right though. You are apologizing not because you feel bad, but because you believe it's 'the right thing to do'. That doesn't count," I said, using air quotations to emphasize my point.

"Now, if both of you would be kind enough to move, I have a kingdom to get to. Toodles," I trotted out the door, leaving the boys inside to bicker.

I can't deny that last night was a lot of fun, and that the care Jace gave me wasn't amazing.

But I am not a person to depend on anyone.

Ever.

Walking outside, I saw Ben and his parents talking to Elsa, along with a man who looked like he was from a tribe of some kind.

He had his arm around her waist, and they both looked absolutely happy as they talked.

Walking up, I watched as they both turned to me, smiling.

"Iduna," Elsa said, pulling me into a hug.

"Just Nina please," I said, and she shook her head.

"No. Iduna was my mother's name. You should bear that name with pride," she said, and I froze, keeping my expression hidden.

"This is your father, Bavva. He and I met on one of my trips to visit the Northaldra people," she said, and he smiled at me.

"I would have come earlier, but the spirits have been in rather an upset lately, the giants making it impossible to keep a solid river going. Though I suppose we know why," he said, such a warm look in his eyes.

"Uh yeah I guess so," I said, truly not knowing what to do.

"Well, I suppose we should get headed home then," Elsa said, turning back towards Ben and his parents.

"Thank you very much for hosting us, and Ben. Thank you for finding my daughter," she said, clasping his hands between her own.

"It was my pleasure. Good luck Iduna," Ben said, keeping it formal.

Was I not going to keep my own name?

***

I stared over the side of the ship as it moved into Arendelle's port, for what would be my new home.

Home.

It was still strange to think that I would have one, after so many years of being alone.

"So, before we get you to meet anyone we'll get you ready," Anna said excitedly, wrapping her arm around me and squeezing.

"What do you mean? I dressed for meeting people," I asked, and she tilted her head a little bit.

"Maybe this is appropriate where you are from, but it's not for here. We are pretty, well, conservative here," she said, trying to be delicate.

This doesn't count?

It's a little tight, and a little low, but it was more than what I normally wore.

"It'll be a big change being here. But you will love it I promise. You'll get to learn how to be a princess, learn the people all of our traditions. I'm sure you'll even make some friends, maybe fall in love," she added, wagging her eyebrows at me.

"Will I go back to school next year?" I asked, and Elsa came up beside me.

"We've already lost so much time with you. I'm sure some homeschooling won't be so bad," she said with a smile that made my stomach drop.

As excited as I was to have a home, it almost sounded like, like I would be trapped here.

With no one like me.

I forced a smile, nodding.

Small icicles started to curl around my feet, and I felt Freja curl around, mewing quietly as she looked at me.

Taking a breath, I pet her, feeling myself relax.

"She is a cute little thing isn't she," Agnarr commented, and I glanced at my cousin.

Wow.

I just thought of him as my cousin.

"Yes," I replied shortly, sounding meaner than I intended.

Doing this, being this princess, was going to take a lot of work.

Anna put a cloak on me, tucking it over my hair.

"Let's get going to the carriage, we want it to be a big surprise at the change of you when we announce you as princess," she said, and I stopped walking.

"What do you mean change?"

"Well a princess of Arendelle can't exactly have blue hair and intense eyeliner can she?" She said like I was being silly, and it took all of my willpower to not turn tail.

"I, suppose." This is what I wanted right?

A family?

Following her off the boat, it didn't take too long to get to the castle, where they had people waiting.

"Alright, let's start!" Elsa said, leading me to a sitting room that was filled with things.

There was a moving sink, and a lady already donning plastic gloves that they lead me to first.

"Let's get this color out of your hair," the lady said kindly, sitting me in a chair in front of it.

"Are you taking all of the color out?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Why yes I am. How good will it be to be free of that obnoxious color," she said with a giggle, before putting product in my hair.

While she was doing that, Anna came over with a makeup wipe, taking off my eyeliner and lipstick.

"A princess should always have simple makeup that doesn't take away from her beauty but adds to it," she said with a smile, soon throwing the wipe away.

"And she should always be in a long dress, colored for her country," Elsa said, pulling out a rack of green and purple long dresses.

"She should never wear black."

"Never talk back."

"And always be smiling," they all started in, my head swimming from a combination of the tips and the hair products.

"You'll get the hang of it in no time," Elsa said, starting to reapply makeup.

"We will do just a tiny bit of concealer and a small amount of eyeshadow to match the dress," she explained, starting to put it on.

"I'll let you do your own mascara but we usually go for a dark brown over a black. It's a little less harsh," she explained, and I felt the lady doing my hair start to rinse it out.

"Also you will find that here, we are safe from reporters. No one comes unless welcome, and nothing really happens that needs reporting," Anna said, smiling at me.

"Also these boots, I know you seem to like them, but they're just not, well...." Elsa started and I glanced down.

"Not fit for a princess?" I asked quietly, and she grinned.

"Exactly! See you're already seeing things. After you meet Arendelle today, we can go up with your father to the Northuldra people. You will love them, and all the spirits." Elsa said happily, my hair now done rinsing and being brushed.

"Also we will help you do your hair for now, but you'll have to learn too. We always wear our hair up," Anna added, helping dry my hair.

A piece came in front of my face, the white blonde shocking me.

Everything else was just a rush.

My hair was put up, my shoes changed, dress picked out, and nails painted a plain color.

"Here. I think this dress would be good. I noticed your little tattoo and it would be best to cover it," Elsa said, holding out a floor length green gown.

"Is there something that is a little more open? I'm not used to wearing anything like that," I asked, and Elsa smiled softly.

"You will get used to it. It will be wonderful darling," Elsa said, and I paused before taking the dress.

After putting it on, I looked in the mirror, not recognizing the person in it.

The dress covered everything, the neck almost choking me.

My shoes were a small kitten heal, and my hair was white, braided into a tight updo.

A small crown rested on my head, the rest of my jewelry being small and barely noticeable.

"You look just like your mom," Anna said gently, her on one side, Elsa on the other.

I couldn't speak, I could barely breathe.

This wasn't me.

It never would be.

I nodded, looking down at Freja who was looking at me with a concerned expression.

"Let's go meet everyone," Elsa said gently, leading me out of the room.

***

Worst.

Day.

Ever.

So many people were hugging me, and excited to see me.

My face hurt from smiling and my dress was making me way too hot.

Everyone was just so excited to meet their "lost princess" but I honestly just wanted to go to bed.

Get out of this ridiculous outfit.

"Is this almost over?" I whispered to Agnarr, and he chuckled, before realizing I was serious.

"They were planning on having an all night celebration for you," he said, as if I should be thanking them.

My mouth hung open slightly, before I closed it.

"Are you serious?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Don't you want to celebrate your homecoming?" He asked, watching me.

"I," I stopped when Elsa came over.

"What are you doing over in the corner? You should be out, eating and dancing," she said happily, holding out her hand.

"I would like to go to bed," I told her, and she frowned.

"But the party isn't over? These are your people, you should get to know them," she said, and I felt my temper running short.

"These are not my people. They are nothing close. These people hug too much, smile too much and expect me to be too friendly," I snapped, and her expression shifted slightly.

"I'm sorry. I know this is a lot right away. Yes of course you can go to bed. Kristoff will take you to your room," she said gently, giving me a hug.

"Come on Kiddo," Kristoff said, gesturing which way to go.

"Thanks for that by the way. Big parties have never really been my thing," he said quietly, the music and noise starting to fade.

I started to pull all of the pins out of my hair, and he held out his hand.

"Anna sometimes does the same thing," he said with a chuckle, and I placed them in his hand.

My hair was soon down, not the same but slightly freeing.

"I know it's a lot. But they truly mean well," he said, and I nodded.

"I know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 965 18
Elle is the daughter of Elsa, her father is- well that's the thing she doesn't know! After a horrible breakup Elle meets a new group of friends. The...
81.8K 1.6K 25
A Disney's Descendants Fic. King Adam has made a few mistakes in his lifetime, one of them being worse than the rest. When he banished all villains t...
37.2K 481 20
Cara De Vil Twin little sister to Carlos De Vil. She's very much like her brother, anxious, emotionally abused, and attached to her friends. When...
451K 10.4K 69
All Elicia, daughter of Queen Elsa, ever wanted was to fit in and make friends at Auradon prep. But when the four kids from the Isle of the Lost show...