Yamiyo no Hotaru

By Miyugihcdc

Apparently, I was reincarnated as a nameless mob in a Japanese fantasy game. ...and the genre of the game is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Volume 2 Epilogue
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Volume 3 Epilogue
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Volume 4 Epilogue
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Volume 5 Epilogue
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 86
Volume 6 Epilogue
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Volume 7 Epilogue
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Volume 8 Epilogue
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129 Probably in a Broad Sense, NTR
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Volume 9 Epilogue
Chapter 132
Chapter 133 Can a Skilled Hawk Hide Its Talons?
Chapter 134 To and Fro, Joys and Sorrows, Reprimand and Warning
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138 Three Years in the Palm of Sickness
Chapter 139 Early Rising Is Worth One Story
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155 The Inherited Will of the Lowly
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Volume 11 Epilogue
Chapter 168

Volume 10 Epilogue

43 0 0
By Miyugihcdc

 "So, in the end, it was a failure, huh?"

 As they advanced through the treacherous Hyouga Mountain Range, a rugged beast path that Fusō-kuni still hadn't fully grasped, the youkai hummed to themselves. They sneered at the figure leading the way. A voice that seemed both coddling and insolent.

 The one who spoke was Yuka, a high-ranking member of the Salvation Youkai organization, the calamity youkai Kamaitachi.

 "So, I said we should take action too, right? What are we gonna do now? We couldn't even sever the transportation at Seki or kill the Princess, huh? Our carefully planned scheme went to waste, didn't it? It's a major failure, isn't it?"

 Crossing their arms behind their back, Yuka confronted the other person, circling them round and round. They had strongly suggested that they participate in the operation utilizing the Ezo tribes this time around.

 The curse-tool was provided to the Ezo tribes as a matter of course. THey also helped with the breeding and capture of the lower-ranked individuals. However, it was quite unlikely that they could defeat the skilled exorcists who were stationed in the city with just that. In fact, three of the main forces youkais that were supposed to be deployed around the city were literally killed in seconds, and the remaining key figure couldn't even reach the city.

 "Complete defeat, total failure. Isn't that right?"

 "It doesn't really matter. Just sowing the seeds of discord around Ezo's princess is already a sufficient achievement. There was also a possibility that we would be counterattacked if we intervened half-heartedly."

 The figure clad in a coat leading the way responded in a detached and intellectual tone. The Four Disasters, who once threatened the capital, and also the head of the first Omnyouji Bureau, did not seem to be concerned about the outcome of this operation.

 Furthermore, it can be said that he never expected success in the first place. After all, it was nothing more than a mere harassment. The real goal was another operation that would be executed simultaneously in another area. Therefore, Nue was relaxed about the outcome.

 "More importantly, it's unlike you to be so eager. Are your restraints loosened? Or... did you really want to pay your respects that badly?"

 "Huh?"

 "Whether it was in Hotoya Village or Mount Hōraku, you must have received a painful blowback. And in Hotoya Village, you were confronted by a cute underclassman..."

 What interrupted Nue's question was a scythe-like claw thrust at his throat.

 "...Don't get carried away, alright? Do you want your head to be chopped off, human?"

 A child-like figure had approached without him noticing. It was a Kamaitachi disguised as a young child. With an adorable child's appearance, they coldly questioned while looking up at the flesh mass imitating humans. Mocking, belittling, and insulting. They told Nue to know his place.

 Five hundred years ago, during the time of great war, countless monsters gathered under a single pillar. They challenged humans with this leader.

 But their leader brought someone who was the head of the noble flag and stopped the almost-human human as his advisor... There are not many who openly oppose him. However, many did not trust him because of his background. Yes, for example, like this Kamaitachi...

 "Just because you were welcomed by the leader, doesn't mean you're one of us. Don't act so important when you're not even one of our own."

 Although he stops humans wherever he goes, he is originally human. And he is not the opposite of humans, which would be youkai. Being not human does not prove that one is a youkai. The monster with a hundred faces in front of Yuka can't even be strictly called a youkai. That's why they had that attitude.

 "It's not good to bring personal emotions into the workplace. I think it's important to separate personal and professional matters."

 It was a sharp and immediate response to the warning. Especially if it is spoken in a calm and composed manner.

 ...And these insensitive words stirs up the jealousy that has been swirling in Yuka's heart for five hundred years.

 "...!!"

 ...The fury of the ferocious weasel and the sound of the wind cutting through the air happened simultaneously, and the clumsy piece of flesh that was once an arm flew through the air in an instant.

 "...Could you please stop? It hurts, you know?"

 The complaint about the severed arm seemed rather light, but if it came from this guy, it was only natural. For this monster, the physical body was nothing more than a temporary vessel for the soul.

 "...Watch your words. You imitating monkey."

 The response, resembling a derogatory remark from a weasel with a giant scythe-like tail, was directed inwardly. It was a disgust towards his own uncontrollable instincts, despite the name bestowed upon him by the leader and the restraint it provided.

 ...But it was not meant as a response to Nue's actions, by any means. To clarify, it was not of the tsundere type.

 "You lack cuteness. It would have been nice if you were secretly hurt inside... No, do you really have no trace of guilt?"

 "Of course not. Should I cut off another one?"

 In response to Nue's slightly lonely remark, the weasel rejected it with a clear sense of disgust. At that moment, they even considered dismantling Nue. After all, it's not like the vessel would disappear just because it suffered some damage.

 "Ahaha. Um, well, that's... It's really something to navigate this mountain path without a guide. Personally, I'd like to wear a disguise though."

 Interjecting from the side, a fox pleaded with soothing words. It was a golden fox and a girl. A fox disguised as a beautiful girl. It was Ruri Kouka, the leader of the youkai foxes, who gathered the youkai fox clan known as "Yao."

 The request to pave this mountain path and locate the countless traps was because only Nue was capable of doing so. It was a selfish reason, as expected of a youkai fox.

 "Don't worry, I'm strong and I have extra lives. I also have food."

 "But I don't have extra lives!? And can you please stop calling me 'food'?"

 The fox retorted against the boss who had always treated her as sacrifices. The fox knew that this weasel's words were not jokes or puns.

 "Don't worry. Even if Kouka dies, Momokou is here, so there won't be any problems with the management of the youkai fox clan."

 "It's about human emotions!!"

 "By the way, you're a fox, right...?"

 It was a retort from Yuka directed at the fox who was accusing them with teary eyes. It seemed even more ridiculous for a youkai fox, who manipulated and denigrated human emotions, to say such things.

 At the same time, Kouka, who is being bullied, also has a wicked thought that seems to be characteristic of a youkai. This weasel, even though they gains knowledge through their name, remains malicious.

 "Well, you know... In terms of your natural physical abilities, you... or rather, youkai foxes are weaklings, right? Even if you can transform or use illusion techniques, you're probably prepared for traps or dealing with Servants. It's only logical that you're my prey in terms of survival rate, isn't it?"

 "What kind of logic is that!? And besides, can't you just not crush the guide?"

 "Then, should I crush you instead?"

 "Of course, I don't want that!!"

 Yuka revels in a sense of superiority as they threaten and directs their killing intent towards the fox, who panics desperately. This is exactly how it should be. Lately, the humans they encounter have been needlessly rebellious, so it can't be helped. This fox is a perfect substitute.

 ...And here, Yuka suddenly notices a gaze and looks back at Nue. It's an awkward sight of the two of them impolitely comparing their bodies and wearing solemn expressions.

 "...What's the matter? Why are you staring at me like that?"

 "No, I certainly agree with what you're saying. I do have prepared gatekeepers for the modified youkai creatures ahead... It's true that Kouka would have more impact than you, I suppose..."

 Before he could finish his words, a sound of wind cutting through was heard. Nue's head was swiftly cut off from the chin.

 "Oh, sorry. My tail just moved unintentionally. What were you saying?"

 "...Kouka-kun, what did I say? My mind went blank and I don't remember."

 "You're lying, right?! That's definitely a lie...!!?"

 Kouka desperately condemned Nue, who tried to push her away as if deflecting a bomb. It was bullying. It was unfair. In this situation, it was a tragedy to have the lowest position. The fox genuinely wished to advance quickly. It would be great if there was a vacant position somewhere.

 "Well, well... Can't we stop fooling around here? The sun is almost directly overhead. We just have to go down from here. Are we really going to take a nap together?"

 In response to Nue's words after looking at the time, Kouka nodded with teary eyes and responded. Yuka also agreed but looked disgruntled. "Are you speaking the truth?" they muttered inwardly.

 And the march resumed. With a severed arm and two-thirds of the head missing, the mass of flesh led the way.

 "Now, now. Let's hurry. Oh, it's better not to look up, you know? If your eyes meet, you'll be devoured from the head."

 Without asking what, Nue continued to warn while advancing on the treacherous mountain path, bouncing despite the unsteady balance. It wasn't due to good physical reflexes but rather a basic function built into the container. As always, it was peculiarly fixated on strange things.

 "Wait a minute! What do you mean by 'devoured from the head'? What's lurking?"

 "Oh, ladies should be especially careful. Sometimes it might feel a bit stolen (or taken), too."

 "Why in katakana!?"

 Amidst the commotion, Nue and the fox continued forward. Nue seemed delighted, while the fox had a pale face and a desperate expression.

 "..."

 And there stood Yuka, the sole remaining pillar, silently standing in that spot for a while. With a bewildered gaze, they continued to stare intently at the back of the figure clad in tattered clothes...

 "...It smells like a lie. You raccoon monkey."

 And then, their tail wagged. Jumping towards their own face from behind was a freshly severed arm. After impaling it on the extended palm with the hidden mouth opened to its limit, they tore it apart as if stirring it.

 "..."

 Yuka stomped on the arm, which continued to twitch even after being torn apart, and finally followed after them...

 ...

 ...

 How far have they climbed? How far have they progressed? Despite the end of winter and the arrival of spring, the remaining snow still scattered on the surrounding rocky surface began to come into view. The wind blowing made it feel chilly. Feeling slightly annoyed, they finally found it in their path.

 They arrived at a shabbily built mountain hut, standing as if piercing the mountain path.

 "Hey there, thanks for the welcome. ...Mine can be small, right? The blessings of spring should prioritize the beautiful ladies, after all."

 "In the first place, I wasn't cooking to act, you know?"

 In front of his master's words, the disciple who was grilling cherry trout over the bonfire set up in front of the mountain hut responded with a sullen expression.

 From Kamui's perspective, who had arrived at the mountain hut earlier as a preliminary task, this request was nothing but a cold and dreary deprivation of the rare enjoyment obtained in such a desolate place. It couldn't be more unreasonable.

 "But, I never expected you to eat all these by yourself. I'm surprised to learn that you have such a big appetite..."

 There were four pitiful cherry trouts being grilled on skewers around the bonfire. None of them seemed to fit in Kamui's belly alone, considering his size.

 "Oh no, it's not like I'm going to eat them all by myself... I have two companions with me... Oh, wait? Where are they... Ah!"

 Kamui tried to argue, but then started looking around, searching behind and scanning the surroundings until finally finding them.

 Yuka's tall figure, with a stoic expression and half of her face wrapped in bandages, had animal ears protruding from her head and a tail extending from her buttocks. Contrary to her unchanging expression, her tail wagged vigorously.

 "Hey, Rouya (the werewolf). Long time no see. How have you been while I was away?"

 "...Yeah."

 Two figures with contrasting heights, like siblings or parent and child. However, despite Yuka looking much younger, they spoke in a condescending tone. On the other hand, Rouya didn't resist and responded briefly, as if seeking comfort from Yuka's embrace. It almost seemed like a shy younger brother or son relying on a protector.

 "Oh, you cute one. Here, it's a souvenir."

 "A souvenir..."

 And as if remembering, Yuka handed a small bag from under their sleeve to Rouya, the junior wolf who clung to their back. If Rouya were to take it, he would feel a hard lump inside.

 "What is this?"

 "Dried heart."

 "Dried heart?"

 "Yeah, dried heart."

 Yuka calmly answers Kamui's question from the side. It will be a help for this former half-youkai wolf to "regain new power" by extracting and drying the still-living liver of the wolf youkai they found on their mission in the Northern region. Knowing this, Rouya also picks and nibbles at it like dried sweet potatoes.

 "...Rouya, where is the young lady?"

 "Napping in the hut."

 "I see. By the way, how does it taste?"

 "Not good."

 "I see..."

 Okuri-okami calmly and succinctly answered Kamui's question. The minimal response showed that he had no intention of continuing the conversation. Ezo, the non-human person, awkwardly chuckled at his indifferent attitude.

 "I wonder if you're getting along well with her?"

 Reacting to the conversation between the shadow and the wolf, Nue asks. Kamui's bitter expression becomes even more solemn as they continue to answer.

 "To be honest, young lady is more attached to Rouya than she is to me. I'm just a mere servant."

 "It's only natural, isn't it? If I were to treat a suspicious monkey like you on the same level as the adorable Rouya, that would be a problem. I thought you were just a beast, but you surprisingly have a discerning eye, don't you?"

 Yuka declared with a deep sense of conviction. While gently stroking the junior who rested their chin on their own head, they nodded in agreement. The expressionless wolf wagged its tail even more vigorously. Kamui's face showed a weary expression in response.

 "Hehe... Nyahaha, this is quite something. It's rich and the saltiness is just right, isn't it? Delicious, delicious!"

 The fox had somehow managed to feast on cherry salmon. Of all things, she had chosen the biggest catch. She was acting on her own accord, without permission. This fox certainly had a thick skin in another sense.

 "Hey, what are you eating first, small fry?... Rouya, shall we eat too? Let's feed each other."

 Following Kouka's sneak attack, Yuka and Rouya followed suit. They tasted the food together, offering each other skewers.

 "Kamui, how about the preparations?"

 "...If you mean the boundary, it's already in place. As for the spiritual medicine, it's right here."

 Nue, glancing at the three beasts enjoying the salt-grilled trout, inquired. Kamui, from within his coat, revealed three small bottles. They contained a fast-acting and short-lasting sleeping potion made from the extracted juice of spiritual herbs.

 It serves as the key to inviting dreams.

 "Very well. Then, I ask for your vigilance, Rouya-kun. ...Yes. This trout is well-seasoned with salt, isn't it?"

 "..."

 Starting to eat the last grilled trout as a matter of course, Kamui silently directed a reproachful gaze towards his master who had burdened him with work.

 ...Naturally, it should be noted here that such a gaze was easily brushed off.

* * *

 Fusō-kuni, an island nation, is separated by steep mountains, bottomless ravines, and complex sea currents... The land in all directions is divided by a rich yet harsh nature that even monsters with far surpassing physical abilities and supernatural powers struggle to deal with.

 Therefore, along with the end of the great war, the scattered youkai lost their leaders, making it impossible for them to cooperate with each other as they normally would. The upper echelons of Fusō-kuni also shared the same view.

 And that view was not wrong. If Fusō-kuni had not been aware of the existence of those youkai, it would have been a correct judgment.

 "Hmm? Ah... I see. That's how it is. I'm still not used to this."

 Yuka stood in the midst of a dream-like mist, where even the immediate surroundings were unclear. As she became aware of her consciousness, she momentarily felt confused but quickly recalled her recent memories and understood. She then looked around. Several shadows, with various outlines, were already visible beyond the mist. It seemed that they had already arrived here. However...

 "Hey, hey, the Nishi Tsuchi team has a poor attendance rate, huh? What about Hakki? And Koren? They better not be slacking off, right?"

 From within the mist, the faint shadow emerged, and the weasel inquired. It was immediately apparent from the distinctive horns that the figure was a demon (oni) who had gathered the fellow kin from western region. The problem was that the two veteran executives who should usually be standing on either side were nowhere to be seen... Remembering that it was originally an unpopular and incompatible combination, the weasel pointed it out teasingly.

 "They've been exorcised. Both of them."

 "..."

 The 'Red Demon' who had been appointed as the person in charge of the attack on the checkpoint in the Western Region answered indifferently from the other side of the mist. Hearing that, the weasel fell silent, their mood turning sour. The straightforward response implied something, and the weasel sensed it.

 ...At the very least, it was certain that this was no joke.

 "If you add it up, the newly appointed one was also killed. He foolishly challenged the head of Akō and was easily slain. The soldiers, mere cannon fodder, were also partially destroyed... or rather, the deployed troops were completely wiped out."

 "...Does that mean Hong's big sister failed? You must be joking, right?"

 The loss of various small youkai and medium youkai was something that could be expected given the nature of the opponents. However, Hakki the Shirobozu, Koren the Mokugyo Daruma, both calamity youkai who fought and survived in the era of great war. Moreover, they were intelligent beings who could name themselves... And to top it off, even the promising newcomer, the bone warrior, was exterminated?

 'No problem. The losses of the West Team have already been factored in.'

 Before the impatient weasel could speak, a raspy voice echoed through the space. Yuka quickly glanced around, but they immediately realized that it was a futile action. The acting leader was cautious. Even if it was within the 'fantasy' they had constructed, they were not an entity that would casually reveal themselves.

 But the real problem was...

 "Even if the newcomer is one thing, is it acceptable for two veterans to be defeated?"

 'Of course. The mission objective and the losses for that purpose are non-existent.'

 The dream youkai solemnly affirmed Yuka's observation.

 'I already understand the situation. The damage at the western region is extensive. It seems that it will take about a year to restore the city roads and bridges. The princess of the Daimyo family is planning to return to her homeland once. It has been decided that members of the Akō family will serve as her escorts.'

 And that was more than enough. Western region is an important region for Fusō-kuni, second only to center region. It had a powerful force stationed there. And they were able to prevent the scheduled arrival of the Daimyo family's princess... Above all, they achieved remarkable results with the three calamity youkai pillars.

 'It seems that the East Team failed, but fortunately, the damage was minimal. Did the South Team succeed in eliminating the prince of the Hayato tribe? Now the South team's army cannot move.'

 In the first place, the operation in the East Team was like an extra. And the success in the South Team was perfect. It was a natural assassination using the internal conflict between the Hayato tribe and the imperial court. Actually, the executor was a foolish person who was swayed by rumors.

 'Well done. Let's proceed to the central region as planned. I will arrange a guide for you.'

 "..."

 The shadow that was called upon was tall. With long hair that reached down to the ground, the slender figure remained silent even when addressed by the acting leader. It only wriggled its body without uttering a word. The affirmation and the surroundings were tentatively accepted.

 "..."

 'Well, as for the Northern region... I haven't heard the results yet. What's the situation?'

 Yuka, who had been silent, anxiously listened to the achievements from various aspects. The fact that they were asked to speak made them feel restless. Reporting the truth like this was highly hesitant for them.

 For Yuka, the achievements in the Northern region were not something to be celebrated...

 "That's..."

 "Well, it's not a great success, but you could say it went well for the most part."

 Before Yuka knew it, a person suddenly appeared behind Yuka without them noticing. With a polite and suspicious tone, the weasel-like youkai turned around.

 The tone of voice was the same as when the person was a lump of flesh before coming here, but the appearance was completely different. Fair-skinned and slender, yet with a well-trained body that exuded a hint of sweetness, the man had a handsome appearance from head to toe, which could be considered attractive in general society...

 It is assumed that this is the appearance of the first Omnyouji Bureau head, Sugami Yoritsugu... From Yuka's perspective, she could hardly believe that the soul of an entity that has undergone countless modifications and has lived for over a thousand years could be so upright. Even in this world of illusions, the technology that adorns oneself to this extent makes Yuka frown, and they keep their distance as a precaution. After all, they don't know what might happen even in the dreams.

 "As for our own forces, there have been no losses. We only lost disposable pawns on-site. Although we couldn't assassinate the princess of Ezo... the impact will remain. Even if she enters the capital, the political effect will be limited."

 Nue calmly speaks of the results of the operation, seemingly unaware of Yuka's inner disgust. Nue's demeanor is elegant and filled with confidence.

 "Moreover, since the princess of the western region has postponed her entry into the capital, it is meaningless even if Princess Tamamo arrives. It is inconceivable for a daughter of the barbarians to enter the capital before the princess of the Tokitsu family. In that sense, the life or death of the princess itself is insignificant."

 His argument was undoubtedly valid, being both sharp and transparent, considering the internal situation of Fusō-kuni's political world.

 From the perspective of the imperial court, the Saeki White Dog clan has long been a friendly tribe and has become quite assimilated into Fusō-kuni. However, they were still seen as barbarians no matter where they went. Many of the court nobles, who resided in the shadows, unconsciously drew a line between themselves and this friendly tribe, looking down upon them.

 Furthermore, during the same period, the powerful Togitsu family from the western region, which had an ancestral connection to the court nobles, was scheduled to enter the imperial court. It would be a complete loss of face if the princess of Ezo were to enter first, considering their military strength, pride, and national power. It was certain to cause a commotion. Therefore, even if the princess of Ezo arrived in the capital first, it held no significance whatsoever.

 "Rather, it would be better if she remained as an interesting spark... The situation around her has become quite intriguing."

 Nue said, placing a hand on his lips and smiling as if recalling something. It was a smile that clearly showed his malicious intent. Just by looking at it, one could tell that he was planning something unpleasant.

 '...Is it that girl?'

 "Yes... Ah, perhaps it would be better to provide some additional context for those who are unaware."

 Nue nodded at the Dream Youaki's suggestion and looked at the reactions of the others before recommending an explanation. In response, the voice in the dream began to speak.

 'The person in charge of the Northern region probably already knows... They have found someone with the power of a shrine maiden.'

 "What!? Is that...!?"

 "Well, that's certainly surprising, isn't it?"

 The Red Demon from the west was astonished, while the Yakucho (Calamity Bird) from the East had a twisted smile. A murmur spread through the crowd. The weight of that word, the meaning it held, was significant.

 Shrine maiden, divine child, vessel of the gods. They calm the gods, serve the gods, entrust themselves to the gods, and bring down the gods... They are the oldest source of the detestable exorcists.

 Five hundred years ago, they were the worst existence that brought an end to their own future...

 "...You're not joking, are you? If we were to say it out loud in this situation, it wouldn't be just any ordinary shrine maiden impersonator, would it?"

 The Red Demon questioned with half-doubt. The existence of shrine maidens was a major concern, especially if they possessed the highest qualities.

 In order to avoid such a situation, the youkai salvation have been secretly working behind the scenes in the imperial court. Continuously eradicating the lineage of shrine maidens, suppressing their divine duties, and eliminating their wisdom... It is not easy to believe that all of these efforts were in vain, as if they were meaningless revelations.

 'That's right. There was also a role to confirm that in the attempt in the Northern region this time. There was a suitable sacrifice as well.'

 "The result was both the best and the worst. Despite being inferior, the beast god had completely lost the power to control life and death. It showed how a human body could repel a god's curse head-on."

 Despite losing faith and weakening, the foolish Inugami refused to become an ally. It would have been easy to eliminate its fangs and claws, but they deliberately allowed the succession. They intended to use it as a seed of intrigue, or even turn it into a pawn. However, it has proven to be more useful in this incident.

 And it has shown the worst possible conclusion.

 "Her potential as a shrine maiden is top-notch. And it seems that's not all. It's not just a simple purification. It's a 'usurpation'... Yuka-kun, you directly experienced it by consuming that, right? You must be aware of it."

 As Nue spoke, the surrounding gazes turned towards them with hostility. Feeling a slight sense of superiority and discomfort, Yuka casually disguised them and replied.

 "Yeah, that's right. I was consumed in Hotoya's village. It was quite a challenge. My fragmented memories didn't fully return."

 Yuka's words had a light tone but carried a sharpness. Hidden beneath was a simmering hatred. If it weren't for her own abilities, they would have lost one-third of their youkai power and been demoted to a lesser youkai. Perhaps they would have lost their bestowed name... In any case, it was a close call. A hair's breadth away from falling into the realm of beasts.

 "...Usurpation, huh? Quite troublesome."

 The red demon crossed their arms and clicked their tongue. Being a top-tier shrine maiden alone was already a problem, but to have the 'essence' within and that too, a considerably troublesome one. If things went wrong, it could overturn the entire plan.

 "Although there are no wild shrine maiden, it is not to say that they do not exist. But to become a top-notch item, it cannot be a mere coincidence, can it? I wonder who created it."

 The Yakucho from the East twists its neck in a characteristic manner. In its line of sight, there is Nue. Transparently, they accuse with suspicion.

 "Well, well, who could it be? Even the best product from Miyataka is in a terrible state. It is undoubtedly intentionally created... I will have to investigate suspicious records around here."

 Without caring about the surrounding doubts, Nue says. In reality, there is no evidence. There is no evidence, but... it must be because of the actions of this guy that he is being suspected.

 And now, the problem is not who created it. It is the existence itself. Those who confirm the existence of shrine maiden, those who know about the past chaos, have a deep expression on their faces...

 'There is no need to be discouraged. Crisis can also be an opportunity. Isn't that right?'

 The ruler of the dream realm soothes their shaken comrades. And they ask Nue for confirmation. The summoned youkais nods.

 "Her potential is sufficient, but her mental state falls short... It is undeniable from previous encounters that she has not been educated as a shrine maiden or as an exorcist. It shouldn't be too difficult to belittle and degrade her."

 Nue's words were met with a disdainful response from the red demon, even visible from behind the mist. Their reaction accurately deciphered the intentions behind his words.

 However, not many attendees responded sensibly to the situation. Instead, there were more who sneered and mocked at the words. The red demon, as a youkai and an oni, could hardly be considered righteous.

 "That is precisely why I have brought my pawns closer. I have even made loans. All that's left is to educate them gradually and fill in the gaps. Luckily, they're not lacking in tools for that purpose."

 For example, like a pitiful servant of a fallen earth goddess. Or like the sister of that servant. Or perhaps, like a girl afflicted by the wolf's influence... Nue howled, proclaiming that there are catalysts of despair abound, aimed at everyone.

 '...Well, the modification of the plan may be necessary, but the overall structure remains unchanged. In fact, it can be said to have been strengthened. Each individual will receive new instructions from this point onwards. Be prepared for what lies ahead.'

 And with a solemn declaration, the dream youkai spoke. Five hundred years ago, their hope was crushed. The sun set. But it was expected. However, now, they were prepared. This time, failure is not an option. Hence they make a declaration.

 To restore the balance of the world, to reclaim what should be, for the last chance...

 Or perhaps, for her...

 ...

 ...

 ...

 'Now, shall we have some good news?'

 "Hehe, leave it to me..."

 With a strained reply, the fox reversed from the dream realm. The fox shadow that had been floating in the mist seemed to dissolve and disperse. Even the traces of someone who had been there, even their footprints, were completely lost. It was the power of the world's correction. A fragment of the youkai's world-scale authority that rules over dreams...

 The second-to-last guest's departure...

 "Well then, it's only you now, isn't it?"

 "Are you really going to do what you just said? And if they accept the proposal?"

 Nue asked in response to the call. Without any warning, Nue confirmed the presence of a short, four-legged creature standing by his side.

 "I have obtained permission. It's worth a try. Things have changed since then. It seems that the imperial court has been sending pioneer groups to the borders and causing conflicts... You must be aware of that, right?"

 The dream youkai thought it would be nice if they agreed. Isn't the dispatch of pioneer groups influenced by Daijin, a court official who serves near the emperor?

 "I'm ignoring it, but I'm not actively involved. Rather than greed... I should say it's more carefree. It seems that both merchants and landlords believe that if the official army intervenes, they can handle anything."

 "That's... foolish."

 Knowing the truth, the dream youkai was thoroughly disgusted. Nue shrugged his shoulders.

 "The prime land in the central region has been mostly developed a long time ago. The development of the surrounding lands is becoming increasingly difficult day by day. The population is increasing. It keeps growing. The progress of developing the cold villages is not going smoothly... In that case, it's only natural for people's attention to turn to untouched major spiritual veins."

 "Although it does not have the right to have seen painful experiences many times in the past. Does it forget the heat once it passes the throat? Human-like... However, it is convenient."

 Even in the previous great war, they sought cooperation from them. For that, they made significant concessions. However, their friendly hand was rejected, despite being treated unfairly by the court until now.

 "Since the great war, the tyranny of the court has become even stronger. There are also those among the younger generation who harbor doubts about their relationship with the court. It's worth a try."

 They were originally an unexpected force, and even if they fail, it's not a problem. If they succeed, it holds significant meaning.

 "...Honestly, I don't have any expectations."

 Recalling old memories, the former Omnyouji Bureau head warns. He couldn't possibly think that they, or rather it, would make a decision to oppose the court... Well, it doesn't matter. It's not oneself who will be at the forefront.

 Who will draw the short straw... This is an interesting turn of events. No matter how things may unfold, it doesn't matter. After all, it's because of being in the same boat.

 "Well then, I have some business to attend to, so I'll take my leave."

 With that, Nue lightly bow towards the dream youkai by his side. The last guest tries to exit the world of dreams. But when his shadow fades away...

 "...Ah, that's right. I forgot."

 Muttering as if remembering something, the acting head (dream youkai) turned to the departing comrades and spoke a word.

 "It's only right to clean up after playing with toys. ...Thanks to that, that weasel went through a painful experience. How about feeling a little guilt towards your comrades?"

 In the very end, the acting head drove a huge nail that only those who understood the meaning could comprehend. The grotesque creatures of the hundred faces momentarily wore a surprised expression.

 "Hahaha!"

 And in that fleeting moment of disappearing, Nue laughed at the warning with a refreshing smile.

 In his mind, the name of the person who came to mind was...

* * *

 The sound of a conch shell resounded through the city. A group of soldiers clad in armor, wielding matchlock guns and spears, marched through the city streets. They were reinforcements dispatched from neighboring counties to maintain public order.

 They were the forces of the government army sent to protect Shiromoku-kan city.

 "..."

 In the prime location of Kan City, the most luxurious inn in the city stood. Sitting by the open shoji paper door, I, who was treated as a household member and servant, quietly looked down at the streets of the city. In my line of sight, I could see countless heads, a crowd of people.

 The sight of a strong army marching through the streets of Kan City did not receive any criticism from those who had suffered from youkai attacks, saying it was too late to come now. Instead, they received applause and cheers from the majority of the people.

 Perhaps it was because they had hunted down several youkai that had fled from Kan City, impaling their remains on spears and carrying them along. Among the injured and grieving commoners, there were those who threw stones, kicked, cursed, and even performed actions beyond that to vent their frustrations on the exposed youkai remains.

 ...Two full days had passed since the series of disturbances in Kan City in the northern region.

 The emergency that shook the entire city was gradually coming to an end, although responsibility remained ambiguous. This was because the damage to the city was far smaller compared to the scale of the incident.

 The great youkai that appeared on three sides of the city were exorcised without causing much harm. Not to mention the countless small fry, they were thoroughly exterminated by the exorcists from the Northern region. So, the nobles were unscathed.

 Over a hundred buildings burned and collapsed, and there were casualties in the hundreds, both soldiers and civilians... But that was all.

 Individual tragedies were mere statistics on a national scale, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Especially considering the insignificance of life in this world. It was nothing more than a small fire that couldn't even shake a county, let alone the country of Fusō. The damage inflicted on the city by the conspiracy itself was truly of such a degree.

 "...Well, I may not be able to say anything impressive, but..."

 Those who have lost their homes, become penniless, and lost their families and friends. Despite looking down on them from the upper floors of a luxury inn, I, who can eat, bathe, and sleep in a futon, would be ridiculous to complain.

 "...And even the maids are included."

 "...? Tomobe-sama?"

 He averted his gaze from the window. Looking down, he saw a girl who was looking up at him as if she were serving him.

 Mari, who had been playing the koto beside him, stopped her fingers. With her eyes closed, she anxiously looked up at him.

 "Did it bother you? That I didn't serve you?"

 "No, it's not like that. I just thought I was being arrogant."

 The servants of the exorcist family stationed in the city, as well as the foot soldiers, were deployed to maintain the peace of the city. I should have been sent there as well.

 Instead, I was ordered to wait, relaxing in a room at the inn, listening to the soothing music being played. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt guilty.

 "Since you hold a position... and Tomobe-sama fulfilled his duty in the previous incident, there is no need to worry, right?"

 Mari responded hesitantly, fearing the consequences of not affirming her master's words but instead offering a rebuttal. However, what caught my attention was not her response. Rather...

 "Hold on. Fulfilled my duty? ...Where did you hear such a story?"

 I hadn't mentioned a word about my recent suicide mission against the rebel forces of the Evil God and Ezo, not even to Mari or those around her.

 "Eh!? That... was it from Madam?"

 Mari replied with confusion and a sense of apology. Of course, when she mentioned "Madam," she wasn't referring to my wife. I have no memory of such a person suddenly appearing or overflowing. It was clear that she was referring to the current wife of the Onitsuki family' head.

 "I see..."

 My voice, as I muttered those words, was lower than usual. I understood the meaning behind Mari's words.

 The fact that that woman had approached Mari and spoken to her was unpleasant in itself.

 "Ah, um...um, did I do something wrong?"

 "No, it's not that...it's nothing."

 I briefly denied Mari's hurried question. It wasn't a lie. My dissatisfaction and anger were not directed at Mari, at least. I have no thoughts about her.

 ...How she interprets my words is a separate issue.

 "R-Really!?"

 "Ugh!?"

 Both arms wrapped tightly around my legs. Due to her disability, this action naturally caused my weight to lean forward and cling to my legs.

 "I-I mean...if there is anything you're dissatisfied with, I'll improve it! R-Really! I may be an idiot, but...I'll do my best! So, so... About my brother!?"

 "Hey, Mari! Stop it!!?"

 Mari pleaded desperately. Magoroku, who had just entered the room, was astonished by her actions and forcefully pulled her away from me. I couldn't tell her to stop. I myself was completely surprised by Mari's behavior.

 "Master, there's a guest...hey! What are you doing!? That's disrespectful to the master, you know!?"

 "Uh...!? Y-Yes. I'm sorry..."

 He entered through the sliding paper door, rushing to separate us. His big brother scolded her. Mari trembled in surprise, accepting it and apologize. I could only be astonished.

 "I'm sorry as her big brother (Onii-sama). It's my sister's mistake..."

 "No, it's fine. ...But more importantly, why did this happen?"

 I couldn't help but ask due to her unusual agitation. I couldn't understand why this shy girl would act like that.

 "Well, you see..."

 "What is it?"

 "Well... even before this, when you came back, Tomobe-sama, um, seemed to become scared again..."

 She hesitated, stumbled over her words, but finally made up her mind. The blind girl answered.

 "Mari...!!"

 "Magoroku. It's fine. ...I see, you're scared."

 Her feelings were valid. It was a natural reaction to have when a murderer was nearby. Especially for a blind, disabled, and powerless girl.

 And even more so if it was a monster bound by the grudge of wearing someone else's skin.

 "Master..."

 "I have made you play for too long. Please take a rest."

 It was a heartfelt request. It must have been difficult to continue playing alongside the monsters forever.

 "Tomobe-sama..."

 "Mari, please be a little quieter. I understand. Also..."

 "Oh, sorry. A guest? Who could it be?"

 "Oh, really? That's..."

 Magoroku whispers in my ear, advising me to calm down my sister. I nod in response.

 "Let her through. It's fine to be alone. Please go out with Mari."

 "Yes, understood."

 I dismiss Mari and ask Magoroku. I couldn't imagine that Magoroku alone could handle everything if something were to happen, but at least I was worried about leaving Mari alone.

 And then, Magoroku and the others leave the room. In their place, she enters.

 "Thank you for waiting, Princess Hina."

 For now, I respectfully bow my head and show my gratitude. The dignified childhood friend princess smiles wryly.

 "Is the Lord also here?"

 Hina denies my concerns. It meant that she had some understanding of the situation I was in.

 "No, it's not..."

 Hina said with a puzzled expression, putting her hand to her mouth and pondering. Then, right after... she smiled mischievously.

 She quickly entered the room and reached me in no time. She grabbed my wrist and pulled.

 "Hey, wait...!?"

 Without wasting any time, Hina forcibly made me lie down and rest my head on her lap. Then, she gently closed my eyelids without asking for permission.

 With her delicate fingertips, she made a sign.

 (You're going to read my memories?)

 "Well, I guess I have no choice."

 I muttered in exasperation. With my face buried in her thigh, she wrote on her firm yet soft flesh. In the darkness, she wrote the character 'yes'.

 "I don't remember asking for this, and we've had similar things happen before, haven't we?"

 We both chuckled as we recalled the past. She wrote 'Acceptance' in response to my 'apology.'

 "...Those words are enough."

 I suppressed the guilt in my heart and replied. It was in response to the words written with my fingertips, "I want to save you."

 "Don't rush... I'm not in a hurry."

 I make a reassuring call to Hina. A countermeasure against memory reading. Immediately, the word "lie" was engraved in my heart for a moment. I wrote back, "It's true."

 "...I value my own life."

 Once again, the word "lie" was written. I wrote back, "It's true." It was a fact. I understood how much my life stood on sacrifices. Once a life is lost, it can never be regained. And... perhaps opportunities don't come around twice.

 That's why I don't intend to throw away this life meaninglessly...

 "Setting that aside, I owe Onitsuki a debt. I must repay what is owed."

 I wonder what expression Hina has as she listens to my words, pretending to be cheerful. If it were Aoi, she would probably burst into laughter at the absurdity of my speech. However, in Hina's case...

 "..."

 Hina remained silent. She didn't say anything in response to my words. I, too, kept my eyes closed and refrained from speaking further. No one opened their mouths.

 A moment of silence, darkness, and stillness...

 I wonder how much time has passed. Hina finally spoke, opening her mouth and gently placing both hands on my cheeks. She touched my cheeks and enveloped me as if caressing. I couldn't help but shiver at the cold sensation of her palm.

 "...?"

 I sensed a presence approaching. I felt a shadow through my closed eyelids. I sensed a presence approaching from the front.

 My hair brushed against my face, and a refreshing scent passed through my nostrils. We were in close proximity. She was probably right beside me.

 A low, soft whisper, warm yet chilling, filled the air with an indescribable sense of unease...

 "Hina?"

 My eyes widened involuntarily. Before me was the beauty of my childhood friend, just a hair's breadth away. Her deep, crimson eyes resembled rubies, staring intently at me.

 It felt as if she could see through my very soul. Between us, the breaths of a man and a woman mingled without mercy.

 "...Hi, na?"

 "What's wrong, ■■?"

 In response to the repeated call, she, in her bewitching youkai appearance, melted away, whispering the alluring '■■' with a voice that evokes both love and beastly desire...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

502 16 10
Y/N suddenly transmigrated into the world of the novel she was reading. The worst part is that it was the beginning of the novel. And the body she po...
38.5K 1.3K 29
You're soul was transferred to a side character who died an unfortunate death in you're best friend book who had killed you. she, who kill herself af...
8K 427 13
As I woke up in the body of the least psychotic but still psychotic villain in the otome game entitled "Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me"; I already...
1.2K 2 17
God must hated me so badly for disrespecting my parent often, for bitching bullying and ignoring the one's who cared for me., to be reincarnated in...