Icy Inferno (Troyler AU)

By TroylerToujours

Tyler is a Fire. He's a hot-headed student who seems to do well without trying. Troye is a Water. He wants to... More

⋙ Chapter One
⋙ Chapter Two
⋙ Chapter Three
⋙ Chapter Four
⋙ Chapter Five
⋙ Chapter Six
⋙ Chapter Seven
⋙ Chapter Eight
⋙ Chapter Nine
⋙ Chapter Ten
⋙ Chapter Eleven
⋙ Chapter Twelve
⋙ Chapter Thirteen
⋙ Chapter Fourteen
⋙ Chapter Fifteen
⋙ Chapter Sixteen
⋙ Chapter Seventeen
⋙ Chapter Eighteen
⋙ Chapter Nineteen
⋙ Chapter Twenty
⋙ Chapter Twenty-One
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Two
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Three
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Four
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Five
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Six
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Nine
⋙ Chapter Thirty
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Two
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Three
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Four
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Five
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Six
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Nine
⋙ Chapter Fourty
⋙ Chapter Forty-One
⋙ Epilogue

⋙ Chapter Thirty-One

3.3K 185 603
By TroylerToujours

And we will step outside
Checking that the coast is clear
On both sides
Cause we don't wanna be seen
This is suicide
But you can't see the ropes
Run ~ Daughter

Troye

With our last minute packing completed, we were ready to leave. We walked to the doorway, just to be stopped by the others to say goodbye. We always seemed to be saying goodbye these days. I almost shed a tear when saying goodbye to Hannah, then almost whacked her when she said "see you later alligator".

The other goodbyes went by fairly smoothly - for me at least. The only odd occurrence was when Phil had said goodbye to Tyler, and he said quietly "You'll have to tell him about you and Monty eventually." Tyler stared at him for a moment. Then the two then walked a little distance away to speak. I didn't doubt that I was the him, but what else was there to say about Monty? I didn't want to hear more about his treatment of Tyler, not if it was going to make me feel even more sorrow. If he was keeping something from me, I figured that he must have had a good cause. When Tyler came back, he was looking slightly ruffled. Phil shared the same expression, albeit a little more sympathy in his expression. Neither talked about whatever had happened between them. It was like they'd never left their spots. Tyler simply asked Grace for every detail she had on Monty and then said we'd be off.

Grace was able to give us the last location Monty had been seen, and where she predicted he'd go next. I knew Tyler was determined to get to the border before him. The issue for me was that I wasn't entirely sure why he was so set on finding Monty. From what I'd gathered, Monty was one of the last people I ever wanted to meet. I thought that Tyler's number one priority would be to get his mom out of confinement. Or to get us across the border. I stopped myself from question his motives though. I suspected that perhaps it was for personal reasons, or maybe it was to do with political side of things... Whatever it was, I knew he had good intentions, or at least believe he did.

Walking through the city streets, it was quite easy to blend in, to move about unnoticed. We'd intended to buy supplies to make us look dissimilar to our usual selves. By the time we reached the city centre all the shops were closing - so we had to make do with what we already had. In an attempt to obscure his bright hair, Tyler pulled up the hood of his jacket. I did the same, hoping the hood would shadow my face. We walked in a rush, with hunched shoulders and an unwelcoming attitude. As time progressed strangers made an effort to keep out our path.  Most tried to focus in every direction except ours. It was as if we didn't actually exist, passing through crowds like ghosts. Never had I been so grateful for subconsciously engrained action that made people ignore "flaws" in society.

With little time to spare before the train was set to come, we managed to reach the station. Straight-away I was knocked over. Tyler helped me get to my feet before any major accident occurred. Whoever had barged into me had disappeared by that point. There were so many people inside. Around us, businessmen ran in a mad rush, shouting down phone as they went to catch their train. Children were crying relentlessly in the queue that had almost reached the doorway. Sweat pricked up on my skin. I was overcome by the extreme heat, caused by the sheer mass of people inside.

I assumed we had to join the queue at first, as most seemed to be waiting there. Just before we joined the line, Tyler spotted a ticket machine. Although it looked older than anything else in the shabby building, I knew it would be quicker - and safer - to use. As casually as possible we jogged towards it. No one else cut us off to get there first. I guessed everyone was worried the machine didn't have long left.

I searched up the price for tickets to Bersted, where Monty was said to be. The machine's screen kept flickering as we tried to purchase the tickets. Fluorescent flashes of light imprinted onto my eyes. I went on regardless. After a long wait the next set of options appeared. Although the tickets were expensive, I knew we had to pay. Sure, we could've tried to sneak on. But knowing my luck, the ticket warden would come around and that'd cause trouble than we needed.

As I went to put in the money to buy the tickets, placing one coin in, the machine seemed to have other plans. A wire crackled - then sparked. The screen gave out. It let out a low torturous groan. I stared in dismay as its power drained, dying with the last hope I had of not talking to anyone. 

I kicked the machine. It was a fruitless action. It didn't come back to life. But it did manage to catch the attention of others. A member of staff shuffled her way towards us, rubbing her hands anxiously together. Perhaps we could try to not pay for tickets. I shoved the money back into my pocket before she caught sight of it.

"Are you two okay?" She asked with a slight smile, attempting to appear as friendly as she could. With a certain gleam in her eyes, I figured she hadn't been working there long.

"The machines broken," I said in a low tone, attempting to sound different from normal. Tyler gave a quizzical look at my tone, but said nothing. 

She sighed. "Oh dear. I was wondering when that old thing was going to die... I'm afraid you'll just have to join the queue."

We swivelled round to see the queue. It was easily a five minute wait. But then I saw most that were waiting were families and elderly, and they were bound to take longer. Our train was set to come in two minutes.

"What about the money I put in?" I asked. Although I'd only put one coin in, I doubted she'd seen that. I reasoned it was worth lying briefly. If there was a possibility of saving more money I was going to take it. Besides, I really didn't want to join the queue. 

"You put money in? Are you sure?" Her eyes flicked between us. I nodded earnestly. trying my best to cover up my lie. "Hmm... you better come this way then."

Sharing a look of agreement, we followed her. Those in the line gave us dubious glances. We ignored it.

"Where are you two heading?" She asked as we walked.

"Bersted."

"Yikes," she muttered. "Are you sure you want to go there? It's not been a secured area since the new legislat- nevermind. None of my business. Sorry... Bare with, I'll get you some tickets. Be back in a mo."

She shuffled off, through to the office. I grew worried as time continued to tick on. People were still staring. I knew I might've been paranoid - but I figured I had every right to be, seeing as I was in a tricky situation. My glances to the line became more frequent. Many were on their phones. What if one was contacting the government? How would I be able to tell? Luckily for me, I didn't have long to grow fretful. The staff member was true to her word. She came back speedily, handing us tickets and wishing us a safe journey. 

Once we went to get through the barrier, I witnessed a rare gobsmacked expression on Tyler's face. He flashed me his ticket. He'd been given a child ticket.

"That's heightist," Tyler said, as if it was the most preposterous thing that had ever happened to him.

I felt a chuckle bubble in my throat but let out a sigh. I was so done with him. I didn't think "heightism" was a thing but I didn't have the heart to tell him. There was no time to tell him anyway. We had to get going.

We rushed down the stairs just as the train screamed to a stop at the platform. We were still far away. Neither of us were willing to wait for the next one, in an hour. We charged pass hordes of travellers just getting off. A few people huffed out their annoyance. Tyler and I didn't apologise.

Once we were close enough we practically leapt up onto the train. Literal seconds later the doors closed. I was grateful we didn't get trapped in the doors. With a deep breath, we walked down the carriage, searching for a seat. It was packed to the brim in the first couple of carriages we went through. Eventually though we found a carriage that was a little less crowded, and settled down on the only two seats available. Tyler took the seat by the window, and I sat down besides him.

Before the train started to move, I leant down and whispered words of comfort. He gave me back small wan smile yet he didn't respond verbally. I tried not to dwell on it as the train started to move out the station.

As the train gathered speed Tyler grew more and more anxious. It started with him gnawing on his lip. Next thing he was tapping his foot rapidly. Minutes later he was clicking his own knuckles. Then he took my hand and started doing the same thing. 

That was the line for me. As he started to crack my second hand I firmly took his hand in mind. He froze, finally becoming aware of what he'd been doing. As gently as I could, I massaged his hand. I whispered conjures so that a chilled feeling flowed through him, stopping heat from rising on his face. Tension in his shoulders slid downwards. He slouched back in the chair. His eyes fluttered shut briefly. Peace had finally found him.

When I got to work on his other hand, ever so softly he started to hum. I thought it was merely a random melody at the start, until I realised the tune was awfully familiar. A slight smile had formed on his lips. He met my eyes, gleaming gleefully as he got closer to the chorus.

And when the chorus came, I found myself quietly singing Don't Wait along with him.

We weren't loud but people watched us, seemingly intrigued. A few got out their phones to take photos - or film it,  I couldn't tell. They didn't seem to have malicious intentions - most were beaming at the scenario. I knew why all this was happening, of course. It wasn't protocol to sing on a train - or to show any sign of being remotely happy. But that's what we were doing. And we weren't alone. A girl joined in. Some turned their heads in shock; I just gave her a smile. Confidence rose and her voice grew louder. Then another person joined in, from behind me. A harmony somehow formed between us. More took part. Those who didn't know the words were clapping the beat. In a short space of time everyone on the carriage was participating. 

The song came to a close, and we were all smiling at one another in that moment of joy. When it ended we returned to our normal selves, but a murmur of happiness could be traced in every voice.

A short time later a boy from across the carriage came towards us. "Excuse me?" He asked quietly. He had been one of the people with his phone out, and still had delight etched on his face. "What are your names?"

"Huh?"

"Sorry, it's just people are asking it." The carriage was mostly silent by that point. I didn't think anyone had asked that question. Seeing our confusion, he clarified his statement with, "People commenting on the video."

"What video?"

"The one of us all singing."

Fear crawled up my back, setting off a trail of goosebumps. "You put that online?"

"I mean why not? People love a good train song. Might go viral. Who knows."

I didn't want to know. I didn't want this to happen in the first place. "Please don't put it up." I said, surprised by how firm my voice was, despite my festering fear.

"It's already up."

"Delete it then." Tyler spoke up, voice like a hail storm.

The boy's lip twitched as his furrowing brow. "Why would I do that?"

"You didn't ask for our consent to be filmed. We don't want to be filmed."

"But it's already got ten thousand views-"

"Delete it."

"Please," I added, wishing I could appeal to his better nature. Somehow, it got through to him. He relented and removed it. He apologised, but said it was possible people might re-upload it. For the rest of the journey I was unsettled. My bleary mind couldn't be put at ease, no matter how much I tried to rationalise the situation. Anywhere would be better than there. I was snervous for what was to come. 

Our first difficulty arrived before we actually got out of the station. On the opposite platform a group of girls pointed at us and strode over. They were giddy with excitement. "Oh my gosh you're the guys from the video, aren't you?"

I clicked my tongue. "Say what?"

"You know, the video. The singing one on the train?"

Curse words spun round my head. Tyler let out a muffled sigh, clearly a lot calmer than I. "Sorry, we don't sing."

After they'd left with dragging feet, Tyler groaned. "Damn it, why'd you have to have a voice of an angel?"

He ran a finger over his chin. "We need to change our appearances. And fast. I don't want more people coming up to us. It won't be long before someone in the government realises that's me on the video and they start using it on the news."

Outside we were on the lookout for shops. Fortunately, around the corner was a shopping centre. I reckoned that everything we needed would be there, so we ventured in. I agreed to go to the cosmetic shop, and Tyler was to go and get new clothes. We departed with a kiss on the cheek.

Inside I methodically made my way round the shop. People frowned when I passed. I guessed it was quite odd to see a teenage boy struggling to hold several boxes of hair dye, glasses and several other objects. I didn't have time to become self-concious though. I scanned the items and left without a word being said to anyone.

We met up and headed to the public toilets, entering a disabled toilet and being sure to lock the door behind us. You could've mistaken the place as a set for a horror film. The room was lit up in a hazy blue tone. The mirror was completely cracked, so we could hardly see ourselves. The tiles were unevenly laid down, and were faintly tinted yellow. Pungent scents of disinfectant filled our noses, but I doubted that this place was as clean as the smell made out.

Tyler showed me the assortment of new clothes he'd brought for us. For some reason he'd brought me a beanie and a leather jacket, saying it would keep me warm. The forest green trousers be bought were horrific, but he managed to convince me to wear them. He'd bought himself drab-looking clothes, nowhere near as vibrant as his usual wardrobe.

Tyler rummaged through my bag of shopping, laughing when he pulled out a small plastic packet. "Why did you buy a lip ring?"

"I can't look like me any more... And I kinda want to know how I'd look if I was punk rock."

Tyler laughed, but didn't say anything else about it. He'd already moved onto the next item - his new glasses. The glasses I'd picked up were the cheapest available, made with a purple wire frame. He put them on with a sceptical face. Once on, I almost burst out laughing at how different he appeared. He was struggling to see, wincing his eyes one minute then having them fully open the next. "God these lenses are strong. Everything's so sharp... I feel a little light headed to be honest."

"Are you going to be okay?"

"Let's hope so."

He was visibly relieved when they were finally off his face. He continued to comb through items, until he reached the end of the bag. He gasped, pulling out two objects I'd brought on impulse without much thought.

"Condoms and lube?"

I shrugged nonchalantly. "You never know when that might come in handy."

"No, I know when it would, I just... nevermind."

"Better to be safe than sorry."

He shoved me, laughing and blushing all at once. He always managed to look so adorable. But I could see he was uncomfortable at the prospect. I never wanted him to be like that around me. I wanted to reassure him that I'd never pressure him into something that made him uneasy. I couldn't help myself from walking over to him and stroking his cheek, hand lingering as I said "hey, I promise we won't do anything until you're ready, okay?"

He glanced up at me, blush still prominent on his cheeks. "What if I was ready now?"

I brought my hand back down. "Really? You want to loose your virginity in a bathroom?"

"Maybe I get turned on by the dirty tiles," he tried to say sensually.

"If that's the case I think we better start seeing other people."

He couldn't restrain his laughter. "Thank god it's not then."

And with that we moved on. I opened one of the boxes of hair dye. Initially I was confused by the instructions, but Tyler seemed to be a pro and explained what I had to do. I wondered why he didn't just do it himself, but I wasn't going to give up the opportunity of running my fingers through his hair.

I put on the gloves and set everything up as he said to. When the lotion came out blue, I wondered whether I'd picked up the right package. He assured me it was normal. I went with it, doing exactly as he told me to. Once I'd put the dye in, we sat in a companionable silence as he waited for it to set  or something like that. After an alarm beeped on his phone, I helped him wash out the lotion. When it finally came out, I marvelled at the fact that his hair was mostly blond now, with the occasional patch of blue. For a first time, it wasn't too bad.

Next it was time for me to put in the coloured contact lenses. I hadn't taken a good look at the packaging to see what colour my eyes would go - only that they wouldn't be blue. Putting them in was a frightening experience, but ultimately I plucked up the courage to poke them in my eyes. It felt like a dust cloud had been put in. My eyes watered. Constantly blinking seemed to ease the pain, but the experience was no less weird.

I turned to Tyler. His head jerked backwards, eyes widening like a lemur. He didn't relax afterwards either. I found myself taking a tentative step forward, terrified at what had happened. "What is it? Is something wrong? Please tell me you can't see a spider behind me."

"No nothing's wrong. It's just you're eyes... they're so different." 

"How'd you mean? What's my eye colour?"

"Like a deep rich hazel brown."

"You can't see the blue? At all?"

"Nope. They're like, pretty but... It's like looking at a completely different person."

"Don't worry, I'm still Troye."

"I know..." he said, cupping my face in his hands and bringing his lips to brush against mine. He broke away and giggled. "It feels weird kissing you with a lip ring."

He moved back to go and change into his new clothes. Meanwhile I glanced at our broken reflections. We were different people now - but we'd been different for a while. Only with these new persona's was that made ever clearer. As he buttoned his shirt I spotted the phoenix tattoo on his wrist. It symbolised rebirth, a new beginning, changing who we are after the trauma we were trying to escape. It'd never been as relevant as it was then. 

Tyler caught my eye in the fractured glass. "We're going to be okay."

That was a promise neither of us could truly believe now. But I nodded anyway, to ignore the world slowly collapsing around us.

*

The next challenge was our sleeping arrangement. Although not the most desirable option, we opted to stay in a camp-site, outside the hubbub of the inner city. The sign outside the enclosed field said all were welcome. Tyler pointed out that the property was owned by a Dr Glozell Green, who'd helped him get better before, when he'd stayed at the Nerd's Fighter. With that said I had a little more faith in the site's safety.

Inside our identities weren't questioned. They only asked what we needed. We were handed over a tent and supplies and told to have a nice day.

"Do you know how to put up a tent?"

"No, but I mean, it can't be that hard, can it?"

It was that hard. It took us ten minutes just to understand how to put it together. Another thirty minute passed and I was still trying to figure out which pole went where. Tyler went off to try an get some food to eat. With him gone my work was even slower.

"Done yet?" Tyler asked when he came back. He frowned when there was little more than a few poles put together. "What did you do?"

"It's an invisible tent."

He rolled his eyes. "You're an idiot."

"But I'm you're idiot."

By the time the sun began to set it was done. That evening was aflame with a heavenly sunset, but we weren't in the mood to appreciate it. We lay in the dark, shivering in our sleeping bags with a quiet conversation to comfort ourselves.

Over the following week we tried to remain the same people we'd always been. Although we moved about the city, we couldn't find Monty. There wasn't even a whisper of his location. People were more excited about spending the holidays together.

We spent Christmas in a tent. We had a tiny plastic tree and I draped a bit of tinsel over the tent. Perhaps it should've been sad, but I'd never celebrated it before and Tyler said he'd never been allowed to properly enjoy it. We felt the famous cheer in our souls as we ate our small version of a Christmas dinner, which didn't really consist the usual items. And instead of buying gifts we explored more physical realms, seeing as it didn't cost anything other than racing pulses and shortened breaths. I don't think I'd ever whispered "I love you" as much as I did during that time. In a silent agreement we didn't go all the way. But we went far enough that I could draw a perfect outline of him, and far enough that I knew he was the only one for me.

As Tyler had suspected, the video had been caught on by the government. Not a day passed when we didn't see an image of it plastered around, saying that a reward would be given to anyone who found us. I was just grateful we'd got new appearances in time. I didn't want to think about what the government would do if they caught us.

When the Christmas cheer began to dry up, and the tent became too cold to stay in, we found ourselves taking refuge in a small cafe. Not many people were there, but there were enough so that we didn't feel exposed. We sat mostly in silence, eaten up the fear that we would be found too soon, whilst we ourselves ate cake. 

A worker ran into the cafe in a rush. She muttered apologies before excitedly asking "have you seen the news?" No one had any idea what she was going on about. So she ran behind the counter to change the tv screen. Before it had been showing a slideshow of drinks available, going on completely unnoticed. Suddenly everyone's attention was on it, as it showed a news studio. In the middle were reporters, who looked more like dolls than people. Orange fake tan oozed from their skin, and their fake smiles could have stretched across the pacific ocean. 

"It's eight o'clock and you're watching SMH News. For those who've just woken up, there has been developments in Operation Tidy Nation, the name for the elemental separation movement. Today, our glorious president announced new changes to make this country an even better place."

"Glorious?  When did they start talking like-"

"Shush." Tyler slapped my hand that was resting on the table.

"This new regime is one that differs slightly from the rest. With more elementals being registered into confinement everyday, it's been decided that the rehabilitation programme is not working fast enough to have space for new convicts. Today, various solutions were . There are plans that, for the most severe cases, public punishments shall take place. At this moment in time, we are not sure on the exact details of these punishments, though it's been rumoured that execution is a possibility. And I don't know about Jimmy, but I love a good execution."

The reporter next to her laughed.

"Not everyone will be applicable for these punishments. So if you were hoping to see your ex next-door neighbour you are mistaken. Unless they were once involved in politics that is. They are the priorities at the moment, as they pose the biggest threat to our great nation. An official list has not been made yet, but when Kahnye-Knot publicised these marvellous plans, she did reveal that one of the first people who shall be made an example of is Jacqueline Yokela."

Jackie's battered face lit up on screen. Bloody nose, bruises, unkempt hair... she was nothing like the Jackie I knew. A guard shoved her hard in the back. She tripped up. Cameras continued to flash in her face, despite the obvious pain it was causing her. She stared pleadingly into the camera lens, bloodshot eyes hard to keep watching. Instead of making her seem pitiful, the camera made her look vicious, shadowing her face to make her seem grotesque. 

What had they done to her?

"Once a major political head, Ms Yokela shall be one the first of the selected few be publicly punished, on Independence Day. The manner of this punishment is unknown as of yet, but if execution is a possibility, she will undoubtedly be the first. The Yokela's have many crimes to face. Although they were once close with the president, with some even saying Monty Moon and Kahnye-Knot having an affair, our wise president saw through the façade. They intended to overpower the government, so that we "powerless" were slaves to a bellicose empire. Can you imagine that? Even the notion! That kind of treatment should be unheard of in the twenty-first century."

"Now, we should acknowledge that there is some controversy over this scheme, as with everything these days. A few have likened this to the Night of Long Knives, the series of political murders that took place under the Nazi regime in World War II. However, the Anti-Elementalist Party have assured us that this is not the case. They state that elementals are attempting to create negative propaganda. And I think we can all agree that this sounds highly likely. The gallant Kayce Kahnye-Knot has proven herself time and time again to know what's best for us. To me, there's no need to contest this act. And I'm sure all of you feel the same way."

People in the cafe murmured their agreement. The female reporter let out a giggle of a devil. "Well, I sure do Jimmy."

The reporters blabbered on about how mighty the president was for a long time. I was no longer listening to them. It was all white noise to me. I was watching the boy opposite me slowly wilt before my eyes. 

A woman who'd been sitting behind us stood up abruptly. The chair screeched like a banshee along the floor. A cup fell to the floor. I turned, meaning to see if she needed help. When I did, she practically ran to the cafe toilets. She tried to cover her face with her scarf. But I still saw her - Ms Blackery.

"Shit."

Tyler hadn't seen her face. He gave me a small smile. "That's probably what's she's doing right now. Something tells me that cake didn't agree with her."

"I think we need to go. Now."

"Urm what? Do I look like I can go outside yet?" He gestured at the redness of his eyes. "Calm down and finish your-"

"That woman was Ms Blackery, one of the ones who kidnapped me before."

Tyler dropped his fork. "She doesn't know it's us-"

I tried to keep my voice as steady and quiet as possible. "Ty, she just saw you cry at what's supposed to be a happy news story. She's probably telling people right now that you're here."

He repeated my earlier statement. "Shit."

We left without delay. The cashier said he had change to give us but neither of us were bothered. We basically ran out the door. On the street, danger was nowhere to be seen and yet it was everywhere all at once. I doubted we had long before Ms Blackery turned up again - this time with back up. 

"We'll get the next train. I don't care where. As long as it's away from here."

The issue was neither of us knew where the station was. And no one was about to ask - most people were still celebrating. 

That was when we heard footsteps behind us. No one was in sight, but we were being followed. It wasn't just footsteps behind us - the stench of cheap cologne, stale beer, and desperation was creeping ever closer too. I turned my head. No one seemed to be there. I knew better than to think they were gone. You could still hear a light tread. They must've camouflaged themselves.

My heart rate soared, scorching my insides.  I could feel my pulse all over me - flaring in my throat, thundering in my head. I felt like a rubber band, my senses stretched so much I could feel the strain all over me. 

The experience was too surreal. It was like my chase before, when I'd found out about Connor. But I didn't know this city. I was worse off than a blind mouse. And Tyler was almost as clueless as me. We were done for.

Tyler tiled his head up slightly and rolled his shoulders back. Reading his body language, I knew what he was preparing for. We had to move faster. I hastened my step. Tyler started to jog. The footsteps behind grew louder. We started to run. We took a sharp corner. I heard someone crash into a bin. We kept moving. And then we realised we had a new issue.

We'd reached a dead end, blocked by a metal fence.

After a heartbeat, I said "I'll give you a leg up."

Tyler was going to argue with me - then it dawned on him that we didn't have much time. I cupped my hands over my knee to help push him up. He scrambled up, pulling himself up and eventually perched on top. He examined the street below, the street I was still stuck on. He frowned. I waited for something to happen - but nothing did. He just continued to study the city from above
My voice cut through the silence like thunder. "What's wrong?"

"They've gone."

"No they haven't. Earths and Lights can camouflage themselves. Help me up already."

He stretched out his hand, and I caught a hold of it. I bent my legs and started to scale up the fence. My knee caught on the wire several times before I made it to the top. Once there, I moved so that my legs were dangling over the opposite edge. 

"On the count of three, we jump down, yeah? Okay. Three. Two-"

"Hello Tyler."

We both froze. The countdown never finished. I looked in the direction of the voice. In the street below, the building at the end had the door opened, spewing out nauseous black clouds. I squinted, trying to see what was lurking in the murkiness. At first there was little else to see. But then a person stepped through the shadows - a man. 

Every muscle screamed at me to jump down the other side of the fence. I should've run. I should've hid. I should've shouted out for help. But I was rooted down to the metal fence, scrutinising the unknown man step towards us. He was dressed entirely in white - so out of place in the dank alley. His suave ways brought about calm, but only the type you find before a storm. He tilted his head up, eyes twinkling as he smiled at Tyler. "Did you miss me?"  

"Korey..." Tyler breathed out. 

I racked my brain for the name. It popped into my head. Korey. His cousin. His cousin who'd shot him. His cousin who died in the Vegas Massacre. 

"You said Korey was dead," I uttered in horror as he walked closer towards the fence. My heart smashed against my ribcage as he continued to smile at us, unfazed by everything.

"I thought he was."

"Well, looks like I'm very much alive. And that's going to change any time soon. I can't say the same for you though."

Something slammed into my back. I was wrenched backwards. I let out a gasp. I was being yanked off the fence. Tyler spun round. His eyes widened in horror. He desperately reached for my hand as I fell back into nothing. Our fingers were inches apart. Too far apart. 

"You really should've paid for those tickets Troye," Korey laughed down below. "That women told us two teens hadn't paid for their tickets. We wouldn't have found you otherwise."

Fire crackled in Tyler's hands. He went to burn whatever was taking hold of me. But he wasn't fast enough. A hook struck his chest - taking a hold of his body. Pain contorted his face. Blood flowed out the gaping wound. His eyes rolled back. His hands shot out to grab something - anything. But there was only me. I caught his hand in mine.

Our dwindling energy could do no more than smoulder as our hands joined together. I glanced at his face, now dead to the world. I needed to wake him. I needed to protect us. My eyelids fell heavy. I began to loose what little balance I had. Gravity clenched around us. 

Together we fell down.

A/N

I'm so sorry for this chapter being a stupid set-up one it's such a mess, probably the worst one to date. I'm sorry I've wasted your time to read this I don't have a decent excuse. My life is such a mess right now, and I'm constantly questioning every single part of myself. Quite honestly I'm terrified of the side of myself I don't fully understand and I just... I don't know. It'll get better, I'm sure. Just bare with me sugarplums, if you're willing to witness a girl go mental. Otherwise, adieu

Emma x
~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 1.9K 6
Book One in the Affect Series Hillsdale high has two kinds of people. Greasers and Jocks. The Greasers are hipster-like and aren't very well known. T...
55.8K 2.8K 40
Tyler and Troye meet by chance in a cafe and it's love at first sight. Everything is looking up with cute nicknames and a relationship like the fairy...
8.1K 756 15
Agent Mathew Oakley boards a helicopter for his mission in Sydney Australia to save Ex-agent Troye Sivan from Russian assassins, But with all of the...
197K 11.5K 45
Tyler Oakley and Troye Sivan have been best friends ever since second grade, when Tyler asked Troye to be his valentine. Every following year they'd...