Sycamore Tree {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

The Queen is dead and her best friend is angry. Elowen Redfort, Queen Aemma's Lady-in-waiting and close... More

Part One
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Part Two
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Part Three
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Four
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Eight

3.8K 143 11
By rainbowkiller0

The air held a slight chill and smelled wholly of salt as the ship cut through the waves. Elowen exited the large cabin containing her sleeping children and husband. She glanced around the deck searching for a head of silver locks. When she didn't see Rhaenyra anywhere, Elowen turned to one of the sets of stairs leading up to the pavilion. As she entered the seating area, she saw Rhaenyra leaning against the bannister staring out across the sparkling water.

Elowen moved to take a step closer to the Princess when the head of silver hair turned to the left. A smile spread across Rhaenyra's lips as she was joined by a man. It only took Elowen a moment to recognize the dark hair and tanned skin. She had only ever seen Ser Criston in his armor and white cloak, to see him dressed simply in a linen shirt was strange.

The Queen didn't mean to listen in on the conversation, at least that's what Elowen attempted to tell herself. In truth she desired whatever information of Rhaenyra's life she could overhear, it had been so long since Elowen had been a trusted ear for the heir.

"Did sleep flee you as well this morning?" Rhaenyra asked her sworn protector.

"I needed to see you, Princess." The knight responded, his voice thick with admiration.

"I confess I had a similar desire."

Elowen's brow furrowed at Rhaenyra's words, she hoped it was meant in jest. That Rhaenyra merely thought of the older man as a friend and companion. As Criston turned slightly to better face the Princess, Elowen pressed herself against the large mast. She peered around the corner, wanting to continue watching.

"You have confided in me now and then over the years of our acquaintance. I feel, forgive me, that I know you a bit." The man who had bested Daemon Targaryen in tourney stuttered as he spoke to Rhaenyra, though she merely smiled at him, urging him on.

"You know more than a bit."

"I've heard you say so many times how you loathe the lot of your position, that you are to be married off at your father's whim with no thought given to the yearning of your own heart, and now the day comes. Ser Laenor is a good and decent man, but you did not choose him.  He was chosen for you."

"That's true."

"If there were another path, one that led to freedom, would you tread it?" Elowen could not believe what she was hearing, was the knight confessing his love to Rhaenyra? Surely if Rhaenyra felt the same she would have said something. Ser Criston was not born from a mighty house, but Elowen and Viserys had both told the girl to search out a man she loved. "Rhaenyra, before I came here I was a knight in the Stormlands. I have deep knowledge of the port at Sunspear where I've seen the ships of Essos setting sail with their hulls full of oranges and cinnamon and I've always wished to see where they went."

"Are you asking for leave?"

"I'm asking you to come with me, away from all of this. From the burdens and indignities of your inheritance." Criston's words grew panicked and frenzied the longer he did not receive his desired response. "Let us leave it all behind and see the world together. Where we'll be nameless and free. Free to go where we like, to love as we like. In Essos you could marry me. A marriage for love, not for the crown."

Rhaenyra was silent for a moment as she considered Criston's proposal. "I am the crown, Ser Criston. Or I will be. I may chafe at my duties, but do you think I would choose infamy in exchange for a bushel of oranges or a ship to Asshai? It is my duty to marry a nobleman from a great house and Ser Laenor will make a fine husband." Elowen watched as Rhaenyra laid a hand over the man's chest. "But my, um, my marriage does not have to be the end. Ser Criston, Laenor and I have an understanding. I've granted him leave to pursue his own interests and in turn, he's granted me the same."

"So you want me to be your whore?"

"I want us to continue as we began, with you as my sworn protector, my white knight."

"I took an oath." Tears welled in Criston's eyes as his heart broke. Disgust in himself and his actions turned in his stomach. "As a knight of your King's Guard. An oath of chastity. I've broken it."

"I won't tell anyone-"

"I've soiled my white cloak. And it's the only thing I have to my fucking name! I thought if we were married, I might be able to restore it."

"The Iron Throne looms larger than me, larger than anyone in my family. Aegon the conqueror united the Seven Kingdoms and put them on a path-"

"Rhaenyra, Ser Criston." Elowen called as she stepped from behind the post

Dark brown eyes widened with fear at the sight of the Queen, while lilac eyes narrowed. The knight fell to his knees as Elowen moved closer, his hands clasped before him.

"I have committed a great sin, Your Grace. It was at the Princess's instigation, but that should- it is no excuse. My oath has been broken. I have dishonored myself. I deserve no consideration-"

Elowen held a hand up, stopping the stream of words falling from Ser Criston's lips. "You may keep your white cloak for now, Ser Criston. But you will no longer be the Princess's sworn protector."

"Thank you, Your Grace. You are a most benevolent Queen."

"Now leave us, and never speak a word of this again." The man nodded as he climbed up to his feet, he didn't even spare a glance at the Princess before he was rushing away. Elowen turned her attention to Rhaenyra, fixing a harsh glare on the teen. "There will be no leave in your marriage, I care not what you as Ser Laenor have discussed. You are not just some girl, Rhaenyra, you are heir to the throne. You will be the first Queen to rule over the realm by her own right, every move you make is watched, every choice questioned. You mustn't give anyone reason to doubt you."

At Rhaenyra's continued silence, Elowen spoke once more. "Say you understand."

"I understand." Rhaenyra responded, her voice small.

"Your father will never hear a word of this from my lips, bit if he hears whispers on his own I will not speak him down from whatever punishment he finds acceptable. You are a woman grown, not a child."

Elowen turned from her stepdaughter as anger twisted in her stomach. She feared what she would say if she stayed in Rhaenyra's presence. Deep breaths filled her lungs as her feet carried her back to her husband's and children's sides.

★・・・・・・★

The wheelhouse had been near silent as the Royal family returned to the Red Keep. Viserys glanced between his wife and daughter, curious of the tension between the two. Elowen subtly shook her head, silently begging him to not ask questions. Trusting his wife, Viserys remained quiet until the carriage entered the Red Keep's outer courtyard.

Viserys exited the carriage first, Elowen noticed how his feet were slightly unsteady beneath him. He stopped on the bottom step, turning to face Elowen. His eyes stared back at her, unfocused as his upper body began to tilt,

"Viserys?" Elowen called, her hand stretching out to steady him..

Lilac eyes rolled back and fluttered closed as Viserys's knees gave out under his weight. His black cloak slipped through Elowen's fingers, his limp body crashing to the ground.

Elowen rushed down the steps and fell to her knees beside her husband's prone figure not caring if her dress became dirty and ruined. "Viserys please." She begged, her hands soothing over his chest to cradle his face.

Chaos went on around her as Ser Harrold, the Lord Commander of the King's Guard shouted orders. Lord Lyonel came to Elowen's side and gently pulled her away, he held the Queen to his chest as the guards lifted Viserys onto a stretcher and carried him to their rooms.

Elowen quickly followed the men, trusting Ingrid and Gretchel to care for her children. The Guards settled Viserys onto a chair facing the hearth, Elowen quickly stepped forward gently slipping his overcoat from his frame before the servants could.

The Queen knelt beside her husband's chair, taking his right hand in hers. She sat up when Viserys's eyes fluttered open, revealing the purple shade she adored. His eyes trailed over her face, watching as she lifted the hand she held to her lips and pressed a kiss to his knuckles.

Mellos returned to the King's side with a golden tin of squirming leeches in hand. "Rest now, Your Grace. I shall apply the leeches."

"If I may, Grand Maester," Orwyle spoke. "I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more effective."

"That will not be necessary, Orwyle. The leechings have always brought His Grace relief." Mellos dismissed his apprentice's suggestion and set the bowl of leeches down on a nearby table.

Viserys looked at his wife, softly shaking his head. He was so tired, he only wanted to lay in his love's arms and sleep for the rest of the day. Elowen cleared her throat as she turned to the old man. "That will not be needed, Mellos."

"I must insist on the treatment, Your Grace." The Grand Maester argued, hand poised over the squirming leeches.

"My husband needs rest right now. If he is up for the treatment at a later time I shall summon you." Elowen stood, motioning to the door. "Until then, leave us."

The Grand Maester stared at the Queen for a moment, lips forming words but no sound came. Elowen had no doubt he was cursing her name. Her eyes narrowed as whatever mask of pleasantness fell from her face. "Get out."

At the Queen's command the White Cloaks standing guard turned to face Mellos, poised to act if he did not leave in the next moment. Wisely recognizing the dangerous situation he had found himself in, Mellow fled from the room leaving his apprentice to pack the supplies up. After all Grand Maesters had been killed for less than disobeying a Queen.

Orwyle gently placed a small bottle on the nearby table, smiling as his eyes met Elowen's. "To help him sleep."

"Thank you, Orwyle." Elowen smiled back at the kind man, before kneeling back down beside her husband. She took Viserys's hand back in one of hers.

"Where are the children?" Viserys croaked.

"The twins and Aegon are with the nursemaids, and as for Rhaenyra I have no clue." Elowen raised one of her hands to press against Viserys's cheek, stroking her thumb over his cheekbone. "You worried me, my dragon."

Viserys sighed, leaning into Elowen's touch. "I am sorry my love."

Elowen looked at her husband's left arm, the skin had long since turned gray and began cracking in places and swelling in others. Anything more than a soft touch caused him immense pain. "You pushed yourself too hard. I warned you that the journey to Driftmark would be too much. You could've written or sent for them."

"I know, I know. I should have listened to you."

"You'd think you would have learned by now." Elowen teased, standing up.

Viserys chuckled as he allowed her to help him onto his feet. An adoring smile lighting up his face as Elowen led him to the bed they shared.

AN: Got a chapter plotted solely so Elowen and Rhaenys can bond. Also Elowen's gonna regret letting Criston remain a King's Guard.

-ELE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

479K 14.7K 46
"A dragon might not be the only thing you ride tonight." | Where the Dance of Dragons is stopped before it truly begins-with Rhaenyra as the Heir to...
19.6K 562 12
King Viserys Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn are expecting another child - possibly a new heir to the Iron Throne. After all, after the birth of two...
74.8K 3.2K 16
After her mother's death, Vanora's estranged father comes to her rescue. She quickly realizes that having Daemon Targaryen as a father isn't easy. Bu...
21.6K 498 15
𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 sorry for not adding this sooner but SLOW BURN Delusional fanon Aegon Targa...