Learning to Live

By amba9999

Sapphire loves boxing, food and cats. Being a triplet with two brothers, she learned quickly how to stand up... More

Story Description
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27 part 2
Part II: Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 36

2.3K 108 6
By amba9999

"The reason we're here is for you two to be seen together. Don't be a child, Scott."

Scott glared at me. The silver necklace around his neck glinted, catching the mood lights. The party was held in a hall on the top floor of a hotel. There was a terrace outside, but very few people ventured out there. The weather was too cold, the wind too strong this high up.

All of Scott's teammates were here, along with their significant others. Jason was also in attendance, with several other athletes and celebrities.

"Let me know if you're gonna start fighting," Jason told Scott. "Lia is so mad she's not where the action is. I should at least film it for her."

I rolled my eyes. Hunter was currently chatting with a young guy near one of the tall cocktail tables scattered around the hall. The guy was a new professional boxer who'd been getting some recognition lately.

Dozens of lanterns were set up in grooves along one wall, giving the place a cozy vibe. Hunter's black hair swallowed every particle of light. He looked impossibly handsome. I caught more than one woman giving him a second look. I ignored the unreasonable twinge of jealousy. He was my friend.

"No one is fighting. We're all adults here," I said.

A tall handsome guy approached. Matt. He gave me a smile. "Hey, Sapph. I didn't know you were coming."

"Matt." I smiled.

He was carrying a bottle of coke. He held it out for me. "Yours."

"Uh-" how to refuse politely?

"Sapph doesn't drink that," Scott said.

Jason chuckled. "Also, never offer Sapphire a drink in a party, dude."

Matt raised his eyebrows. I gave Jason a look. Him and his big mouth, I swear.

Scott nodded his agreement. "Brings back awful memories."

I was going to kill these two.

"Sorry, Matt," I said.

"No worries." Matt winked. He looked at my brother and raised his eyebrows.

Scott sighed and threw his arm around Jason's shoulders. "Come on, man. I gotta show you something."

Jason and Scott left us alone. Okay, then. I guess I knew where this was going.

Matt cleared his throat. "So? How's the clinic doing these days?"

"Pretty good," I said. "How's football?"

He chuckled. "You don't have to pretend. I know you have no interest whatsoever in football."

I grinned. "Sorry?"

He shook his head, a small smile lighting up his face. "That's fine." He was quiet for a moment, then he cleared his throat. "So, there's this nice little vegan restaurant my sister and I went to last Sunday. It was pretty good. I thought you might like it."

I stifled a sigh.

I liked Matt. He was a nice guy, smart and he usually had more to say in conversations other than football.

But we just didn't click. We'd gone on two dates before. He was nice company, but that was it. Even if I had a relationship in mind, he wasn't the guy for me.

"Matt, you're a good guy-"

"Okay, that's never a good start." He chuckled. "Come on, Sapph. I'm not asking for a date. Just a brunch between friends."

Friends. But he wanted more.

And wasn't that exactly what Hunter was doing? He wanted more, but he said we were just going to be friends. And I knew that.

So why did I agree to Hunter's offer of friendship, knowing there was a bigger chance I fell for him again compared to Matt?

I opened my mouth to reply.

"She's busy."

Matt and I looked at Hunter, who came to a stop next to me, impossibly close. He handed me the bottle of water he was holding. I accepted it and immediately felt guilty when Matt's eyes flickered to it. I had refused his drink but accepted Hunter's. Ugh.

Matt's jaw clenched. "And you are...?"

Of course he knew who Hunter was. I sighed. This was not going to end well, I just knew it.

"None of your business," Hunter said, pressing closer to my side. My entire body sizzled. "And you are?"

"Okay!" I said with false cheer. "How about that picture, Hunter? You and Scott need to get it over with."

Hunter didn't break eye contact with Matt. The two men stared at each other. Damn it. I discreetly pinched Hunter's side and pushed him, looking at Matt with a smile. "I'll see you later, Matt! Take care."

"Like hell you will," Hunter grumbled under his breath as we walked away.

I gave him a look. "Don't push it, Jamison."

He set his jaw and shoved his hands on his pockets. "Is he the reason why you don't want to go out with me?"

I rolled my eyes. "That's none of your business."

He scowled and looked over his shoulder in that dark, calculating gaze I knew all too well. The one followed by violence.

"Don't you dare," I told him.

"Do you like him?" he asked, coming to a stop near the ground to ceiling glass wall.

"There's nothing going on between me and Matt, you stubborn idiot. He's just a friend."

"If he doesn't know you don't drink coke, then he's not your friend."

I opened the water bottle and drank. It was either that or empty it on his head.

"He obviously wants to be more," Hunter said.

"You don't know that."

He gave me a look. "Right," he drawled out.

I could feel a headache coming. Spotting Scott nearby, I dragged Hunter with me. His hand was warm and a little rough. He tightened his hold on my hand, his warmth swallowing my skin.

Scott scowled when he saw Hunter.

"So, are you going to give Matt that third date?" Jason asked, a twinkle of amusement in his amber eyes. I swear to God, men loved gossip more than women.

"How's your girlfriend, Jason?" I asked.

His forehead lined. "What girlfriend?"

"Exactly. You never had a relationship that lasted more than two weeks, so stay out of my love life."

"How do you know how long my relationships last?" he asked with a scowl. "Maybe I'm dating someone right now."

"I speak to your mom, that's how I know." I turned to Scott. "Let's go."

I had to physically drag the two boys- yes, boys, because they were not acting like not grown ass men- out to the terrace. Hana and I had them pose a few candid shots, drinks in hand, and we had Jason in a few since everyone knew Jason and Scott were best friends.

For some reason, Matt also came along. He stood next to me, out of the camera's view. And Hunter kept giving him his death stare. If that expression was caught in the pictures, no one would buy the friendly charade he and Scott were putting up.

"I think this is the best we can get." Hana's breath fogged in the cold air of the terrace as she swiped through the pictures.

Scott stepped away from Hunter immediately and fixed him with a scowl. "Keep your nasty paws off my sister."

"You sister can fend for herself. She doesn't need you to poke your nose in her life."

Jason leaned against the railing and a took a swig of his coke, clearly enjoying the show. I rubbed my forehead. I wished I could punch the two idiots into oblivion.

"You know nothing about her life," Scott said. "So how about you shut the fuck up and crawl back whatever hole you came out of."

Hunter took a step closer. Scott matched him. Alright, that was about enough.

"Enough!" I snapped, my voice louder than anyone expected. Everyone turned to look at me. "Stop acting like teenagers, for God's sake. Scott, stop provoking him. I can take care of myself."

Scott gave me a hurt look. He looked like a kicked puppy. I ignored the pinch of guilt and turned my glare at Hunter. "And you, stop falling for it. You're more mature than that."

"Are you implying I'm being childish," Scott asked.

You know what. Screw it. I threw my hands up, turned, and stomped my way back inside. They could punch each other's faces in for all I cared. Why should I care about their public image? They were adults for goodness' sake.

I went straight to the buffet table inside. My stomach was growling. The buffet looked amazing, but it was also full of processed food and sauces.

"More water?"

I glanced at Jason, who held a bottle of water my way. I accepted with a thank you. I'd already drank an entire bottle. With this, my bladder would be screaming at me in a matter of minutes. I took a sip. The water cooled down my chest.

"Better?" Jason asked, smiling to himself. I couldn't help it. I glanced over my shoulder at the balcony. Through the throngs of people, I could see it was empty again. Well, at least the two idiots weren't fighting.

I looked around. Scott was talking with Matt and another teammate. Hunter was nowhere to be seen. Had he left?

"So, friends, huh?" Jason asked.

"Shut up, Jason."

He snickered. My stomach growled. I drank more water.

"You know, I'm not Hunter's biggest fan either," he said.

"You don't say."

"No, seriously. But you said you guys talked about the past. Was his reason for leaving good enough?" Jason asked.

Was it? I sighed. "I guess it was."

Hunter had been put in a difficult situation back then. He dealt with it the only way he knew how to. Was it right or wrong? I didn't know. But, he had had a good reason for leaving.

"Then why don't you give him a shot?" Jason asked, his pale eyes glittering under the lanterns' light.

"We're friends," I said. "I'm not seventeen anymore. I'm not going to go out with him just because."

Jason gave me a long look.

"What?" I asked.

"I never thought you were that much of a coward."

Sometimes, I hated Jason for calling me out on my bullshit. I glared at him and crossed my arms. "Yeah, well. I've been burned before. It's just better and safer to live a simple life."

"Safer, maybe," he said. "But is it better?"

I twisted my lips to the side. Was it better? I didn't know.

No. That was a lie. I did. Life with Hunter would be everything I knew it would be. He would drive me crazy sometimes, that was for sure. But he would also understand me more than anyone ese. It would be a peaceful, comfortable, warm life.

But the threat of it all ending as abruptly as it had ended ten years ago hung like a shadow in the back of my mind. Whether it was because of cancer, a car accident, a fight... whatever the cause, it would end one day.

That was exactly the reason why I hadn't developed any friendships, let alone relationships, over the course of ten years. The reason why I didn't want to get another pet.

I didn't have the courage to go through the grief of loss again.

So yes. I was a coward. Life was easier on my own. Safer.

But I'd broken that rule for Hunter, hadn't I? Maybe I didn't agree to a relationship, but I did agree to friendship. And that was just as bad, wasn't it?

A heavy sigh rattled my chest.

"You're an asshole, you know that, right?" I told Jason.

He chuckled. "I know. That's why you love me."

"Sure," I drawled out.

Right then, Hunter appeared through the growing crowd of people, holding something in his hand. A guy stopped him. Hunter held up a finger and said something with a polite smile, walked towards me, gave me the tiny bag, and went back to the awaiting guy.

I looked at the ziplock bag. It had an assortment of nuts and seeds. He'd brought me a healthy snack. My heart melted into a puddle at my feet. I sighed. Jason patted my shoulder.

"Good luck. You're going to need it if you want to resist."

I stuffed my mouth with a handful of nuts. Jason was so right.

All of a sudden, he chuckled. "So that's why he's been pissing all over you."

"What?" I asked around my full mouth. "What do you mean?"

"Hunter's been pissing all over you, marking his territory. Now I know why," he nodded his head towards Matt, who was glaring Hunter's way.

I gave Jason a look. "My God, Jason, no wonder you're still single. Your mom will wash your mouth with soap if she heard you."

Jason grinned and threw his arm over my shoulders. I had no idea how we managed to stay friends for ten years.

I shook my head. Men.

*** **** ***

Surprisingly, the night ended without a fight between Hunter and Scott, or Hunter and Matt.

The following morning was the day I promised Hunter we'd go to his friend's place. He picked me up bright and early.

Much to my delight, Stevie and Brownie were in the back. The backseats were folded in, and the two dogs sprawled in the large space. I perked up when I saw them. And they looked just as happy to see me.

"You brought the dogs?" I asked, fastening my seatbelt after giving them pets.

"Yeah. They love to play with Brando. He's the Campbells' dog," Hunter said. He was wearing a black henley that stretched over his broad chest and shoulders, making him look even bigger than he was, and his sleeves were rolled up, revealing forearms corded with muscles. My mouth ran dry.

The bracelet was on his wrist. I looked away and started the car.

"You left Tux alone?" I asked.

"Yeah. He can have the house to himself today," Hunter said. I could see his grin from the corner of my eyes. I couldn't help but glance at him. "He slept on the couch last night. And he didn't escape when I got to the kitchen."

"That's great." I smiled. Any progress was good.

"Mhm. I think he'll appreciate some space to explore this morning." He said.

"What kind of dog do they have?" I asked, glancing in the mirror at Brownie and Stevie. The two looked used to getting in the car. They laid down, Brownie's head over Stevie's neck. They were so adorable.

"A husky."

I couldn't help my chuckle. "Must be loud in the Campbells' house."

Hunter chuckled as well. "Oh, yeah. Are all huskies like that?"

"They're known as the cats of the dog world," I said. "They're so dramatic. Do the Campbells have a big house?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Most people usually get huskies because they look pretty, but they're very energetic and need a lot of exercise."

"They have a big garden." Hunter was quiet for a few minutes, his hand playing with the bracelet. Then he asked, "why didn't you get a pet?"

"I told you, my place doesn't allow pets."

"You could move," he said.

I shrugged, my shoulders tense. I didn't want to open that can of worms. Hunter's gaze burned my cheek.

I realized, then, that he hadn't asked about Cheddar. Did he know? He and Stefan obviously talked. More than I would've liked.

"Did Stefan tell you?" I asked outright. "About Cheddar."

He hesitated only for a moment. "Yes."

My hands tightened on the steering wheel. I shouldn't feel betrayed. Stefan probably thought nothing of it. Or maybe it was a slip of a tongue.

It shouldn't be an issue, the fact that he told him. But losing Cheddar was something too personal to share with others, too personal to share with someone who made me think about demolishing the walls I kept between me and the world for almost ten years.

"What else did he tell you?" I asked.

"That you've been through some difficult times after high school," Stefan said.

"That's all?"

"Yes. He didn't go into detail," he hesitated. "But something big must've happened, hasn't it?"

I didn't answer. Hunter didn't take the hint.

"Does it have anything to do with not wanting a pet?" he asked.

"Asking the difficult questions this morning, aren't we?" 

--- ---- ---

Thoughts?

I hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to vote and comment. I appreciate it. 

Much love <3 <3 <3

M.B.

PS: if you want to binge read a completed romance story, check out my other book: Homeless

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

189K 3.4K 32
❝ "Thanks, cupcake," he smirks. "Don't call me that," I say and pay attention to the teacher, now reading a new chapter. "Don't act like you don't li...
3.6M 127K 43
*WARNING: RATED MATURE DUE TO LANGUAGE/SEXUAL CONTENT. READERS MUST BE 17+* *CANNOT be read without reading prior novels in series* Asher Pryce hides...
19.6K 794 19
Ava is a chubby, lovely and bold girl who lives with her bestfriends. She lost her mom when she was small and she lived with her bestfriends ever sin...
21.7K 633 33
Callie has made a huge change in her life. She's given up everything she was used to for a brand new life. Traded in her job, her useless boyfriend a...