Turbulent Ties

By sookwangtae

In the realm of love, there exists a spectrum that traverses both extremes of passion- from the intoxicating... More

Author's Note
Casting session
Prologue
1-The Prank
3-The Denial
4-The Wrath
5-The Park
6-The Bidding
7-The Meet-Ugly
8-The Memory Lane
9-The Fight
10-The Mergers
11-The Red Lips
12-The Date
13- The Beach
14-The Prepone
15- The Pendant
16-The Pre-wedding Party
17-The Boy
18-The Apology
19-The Grief
20- The Unnecessary Alliance
21-The Nuptials
22- The Throne
23- The Mansion

2-The Portrait

372 32 6
By sookwangtae

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."
-Edgar Degas

~~~~~

Tay

"The portrait is here, Tay." Off's voice reverberated across the mansion hall as he pushed my bedroom door wide open.

"Oh, my eyes!" He exclaimed, quickly shielding his gaze upon seeing me half-naked, still wearing only my boxers.

"Che vuoi? I would appreciate it if you knock instead of barging in." I shouted furiously.

Rolling his eyes at my outburst, he replied, "Your Royal Highness, please forgive me."

"Shut up, Off!" I snapped at him.

"Okay, okay." He chuckled, undeterred by my anger, "The portrait you requested is here. Get dressed quickly. You'll love it for sure!"

"Okay. Now get the hell out of here!" I shouted, loud and clear for him to hear.

"Why? Let me see those six-packs." His eyes travelled over my abdominal muscles.

I glare at him. "Get out, Off. I won't repeat myself."

"Alright, Theos! I'd better get outta here." He inclined his head at me and disappeared behind the door.

I dressed quickly in my black gym wear, taking it out from the hangers. Before heading downstairs, I made sure to grab my cell phone.

My expectations were not particularly high, as I wasn't very excited. The artist I had suggested was indeed famous in Thailand, but his identity remained officially unknown despite his global following.

Upon entering the foyer, Off greeted me with a smile and proceeded to lead the way. I followed obediently.

My secretary, who was waiting for us, bowed to me and I nodded in response. "Have you completed your tasks for the day?"

"Yes, sir. I have even scheduled your meeting with Marco Romano for Monday at 10 am in the main office," he informed me with his head slightly bent down.

"Very well, Niran. You may leave now," I allowed, gesturing for him to go. He quickly exited, offering a brief expression of gratitude.

Looking around with curiosity, yet maintaining a stern face, I asked, "Where is it, Off?"

"In the art room," he responded curtly.

Moving swiftly to his left, Off opened the large door, revealing a white, cluttered room filled with canvases, paintings, and antique vases. The room was elegantly illuminated by direct lighting and long windows. At the farthest end of the room, there was a sink with a sealed surface.

The smell of paint and varnish filled my nose. A wave of nostalgia swept over me as my eyes lay on the large canvas in the centre. The line, medium, colour, light, space, composition, and style. Everything was perfect. Another canvas, smaller in size, was placed beside it. It appeared rather naive, like the work of a child. I have kept it safe, Mom. I have kept my promise.

I swiftly moved towards the paintings. Tracing the name written at the corner. Jooy. I glanced over at the smaller painting, Kao, it read.

I heaved a sigh before turning towards Off. He was already staring at me, a small smile plastered across his face. I raised my eyebrow, looking at him inquisitively.

"The only time I see your face softening is when you're here. Only these paintings have that effect on you. Nothing else." He chuckled softly.

"Wouldn't you get affected by these?" I queried.

He shrugged, walking towards a large frame that was facing the wall. He placed his arms on the frame and moved it around.

I gasped and shook my head in silent wonderment. "No way!"

"Yes, way." Off said.

I analysed the art more closely. "This looks... This looks exactly like her."

Off gave a reassuring smile. "I know, right? It's beautiful. Just like your Mother. And I swear to god, that guy is a piece of art himself. He's so good but it's a shame nobody has seen him. He could have been so famous."

I nodded at him, unconsciously tracing my fingers over the edge of the canvas. Kao.

"My mom has seen him. Yet, there's no record of him anywhere. Only a name. He's good at hiding. But I'll find him." I said with determination.

I'll find you, Kao.

"It's probably a pen name. If he's so anonymous, he wouldn't tell the world his name." Off stated.

He had a point. "Did you see him when you went to get the painting? Or anything? A photo, perhaps?"

He shook his head, slightly disappointed. "No. His assistant was being a total ass. Told me to settle the money and get out. But..."

"What? Tell me, Off." I quipped, curiously.

He pursed his mouth in a self-satisfied smirk. "He has a mole, slightly down his eyes. And a tattoo on his neck. A sun tattoo."

"Who told you?"

"A worker. She has seen him once. It seems he had his mask on. But she still remembers the details. Because he was different and had a fair complexion. The guy was 'pretty', was what she thought."

"That's not going to help. We don't know for sure. Everybody has moles. A tattoo? That's so common. And Pretty? Nonsense. How am I supposed to find him with just this? But I guess she'll be of a little help. I need to meet that worker tomorrow. Get the best artist you can find."

Off took a deep breath. "Tay. Take a break, okay? We'll find him. And I think that worker could explain his features very well. I didn't understand half of the words she used."

"What about our men? Were they of any help?"

Off heaved a sigh. "No luck. He's good at escaping, I guess."

I let out a groan. "I need him, Off. That's the only way to know the truth."

His face turned serious, "I know."
He heaved a sigh before turning his attention to me, "If you find him, what will you do? What if he doesn't give you what you want?"

What will I do? "Men say anything when forced to by torture," I told him bluntly.

He stared at me with an expression I couldn't read. I held his gaze whilst raising my eyebrows. Neither one of us looked away. I was pretty much trained to maintain a poker face my whole life.

He frowned and looked away. "You've changed a lot."

"Five years," I whisper.

"What?"

"Five years, Off. That's how long it's been since Mom went missing. Five fucking years!"

Off took a long breath. "It's not your fault, Tay. Don't blame yourself."

"No! Only if I wasn't childish at that time, I could have done something. Anything." If l knew it all then, would I do it again?

"It's not your fault." He repeats.

I close my eyes and the flashback starts.

'Tay, I'll be fine. Find Kao for me and you'll find me eventually. You hear me?'

'Mom, stop being funny. You're in front of me. Why should I find you? And I'll find Kao for you, okay? But just don't forget us after I find him. Sometimes you act like he's your long-lost son. I'll still be your favourite after we get to him, right?'

"Oh god! How can I forget my own family? That's never going to happen. But, remember what I said, Tawan. You need Kao. You need to find him, no matter what.'

'Alright, Mom. But how will I find him? Where and when exactly should I do it? And why should I find him?'

'The time will come soon, Tay. You'll know when and why. But I don't have the answer to how and where. I can't tell you that.'

"But mom-"

"Tay? Tay? Can you hear me? Oii!" Off blew at my ears, sending a tingling sensation down my spine.

"What the fuck! Stop it, Off!"

He glowered at me but said nothing.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I glared.

"I am helping you. What happened to you? You weren't even breathing!"

I shook my head, "Nothing."

"Like I already said, you've changed a lot. It's like I can't even recognise you anymore."

"I don't care. Make arrangements to place this in my room. And where's Arm?"

Off leaned the canvas over the wall and started walking out beside me. "Probably sleeping. He's been slacking off recently."

"Why? Is he going through something? Is his brother causing trouble again?"

"Not really. He said he will join us later this evening. You can ask him yourself."

I jerked my head. Out of the blue, I heard a small rumble. I turned around alertly.

"Um. it's me. My stomach's been growling all morning." Off smiled sheepishly.

"Gross," I looked at him with disgust.

He chuckled and made his way to the kitchen. I followed suit.

"Miss P'Som! What's for breakfast?" Off shouted.

"Remind me whose house this is again?"

I glared at him and sat on the chair placed near the dining table. Off followed and sat opposite to me. "Your Royal Highness, it's your house. But your father has given me access to eat here whenever I want. So? Got any problem with that?"

I ignored his remark and signalled Miss Som to place the food. Som gave a warm smile, wrinkles creasing over her eyes. She placed the dishes on the table, one by one. The rich black marble shined making me squint my eyes a little.

She bowed her hoary head. "Before I forget, Mr Vihokratana wants to talk to you, Khun Tawan. Something important, I suppose."

"Okay," I replied curtly.

Off leaned closer to me and whispered. "What does he want now?"

"I have no idea," I said infuriated.

Som placed rice cakes topped with nut butter, banana and chia seeds on my side. Off made a face as if there was a revolting smell that lingered in the air.

I scoffed at him, "You eat and drink more calories than you burn. You'll soon have a belly pooch. Don't say I didn't warn you."

Miss Som shook her head. "That's rude, Khun Tawan. You shouldn't speak to your friend that way. Everyone has their way of doing things."

Off gave her a huge grin. I scoffed at him again. "He started it. He was making faces at me!"

Som smiled at our silliness. "Since when are you so bothered about people making faces at you?"

I kept quiet. The table was soon filled with Grilled pork with sticky rice, stir-fried noodles spicy shrimp soup, red curry and Green Curry.

I glanced around. "Where's Joss? Has he not come back home from the sleepover?"

"Khun Joss is here already. He finished his breakfast early since he has a morning class today." P'Som answered but her face slightly changed, giving me a concerned look.

"What is it, P'Som?"

She sighed in despair. "I couldn't find Khun Gemini in his room. He has not eaten anything since yesterday noon."

"He's not a kid anymore. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat! You don't have to unnecessarily worry about that brat." I said lividly.

Right on cue, Gemini entered, stomping his feet and taking a seat across from me. I glared at him and he glared back at me, clearly incensed.

"Have the manners to greet your elders," I sternly reminded him.

He scoffed and then smiled slightly at Som. "Oh, P'Som! Good morning."

Som returned the smile. "Morning, Khun Gem. I couldn't find you in your room. Where have you been?"

"Backyard," He responded curtly.

P'Som widened her eyes slightly. "It's so cold outside! What were you doing there so early?"

"I-" He shrugged, avoiding eye contact. "Just wandering around."

"Bullshit!" I shot back, looking at him suspiciously.

P'Som let out a sigh. "I won't always be here to take care of you. I want all of you to behave like adults and take care of yourselves. Especially you, Khun Gem. You need to start respecting your brothers."

"Well said, P'Som." I raised my eyebrow as Gemini glared at me.

"I do respect Joss!" Gemini defended himself.

"Khun Tawan is also your brother. It's all up to you, Khun Gem. I have said what needed to be said. And Khun Tawan, you too should behave. Try being kind, it's not as bad as it seems." P'Som smiled and left the kitchen.

Off stared at us with an awkward expression on his face. "Um. Gem? Are you free tomorrow? We are planning on a long car ride. Fourth will also be joining us. So? You up for it?"

"No! He's not going anywhere!" I snapped at Off.

"No, P'Off. I have a project that must be completed by Monday. I won't be able to accompany you. You guys can enjoy without me." He responded, standing up from his seat.

"Aren't you gonna eat, Gem?" Off asked, worried.

"No. I lost my appetite by looking at his stupid face." He glared at me before ascending the stairs.

I scoffed at the retreating figure. "That brat! What's his problem?"

Off disregarded my comment and started enjoying his food, munching audibly. He even blew a playful kiss. "She is an exceptional cook. I don't want her to retire."

I shook my head, agreeing.

"You cannot always get what you want, Off. That's okay because that's life."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 188 13
"I love you so much!!! I really do." Tay replied, acting like a child, giving little smooches on New's neck. "Hmm. I love you too." "Stop now." New...
422K 7.9K 44
***Completed*** *Mature Content Warning* TW: Car accident, Depression, sexual content His touch made me shiver as I couldn't take my eyes off of his...
24.2K 1.5K 20
Tay Tawan was top agents who was put off field after a tragedy on a mission and now had to train the new recruits. One day, he woke up and found a na...
23K 876 26
Tay is the ceo of vihokratana .... he is cold and ruthless. he don't leave anyone who comes in his way .... on the other hand new thitipoom is the y...