Solace

By Meehira__writes

Nidhi, an adopted child, lost her biological parents in a horrific accident at the tender age of four, result... More

Copyright
Solace
|1|sorrow
|2| truth
|3| life
|4| forced
|5| person
|6| dates
|7| meet
|9| past
|10| locked
|11| wedding
|12| competition
|13| not so easy
|14| happy moments
|15| anger
PLAGIARISED-CHEATERS
|16| guilt
|17| sorry
|18| smile
|19| payal
|20| reception
|21| friends
|22| departure
|23| thoughts
|24| talk
|25| understanding
|26| accident
|27| slumber
|28| college
|29| pothos
|30| monthiversary
|31| allergy
|32| confirmation
|33| proximity
|34|stormy hearts
|35| mine

|8| anxiety

340 84 13
By Meehira__writes

"Vaibhav, for now, we are discharging her. But she needs to take care of herself," the doctor said, looking at me.

I nodded, and he left the room.

As soon as he left, an awkward silence enveloped the room, like a wave of stillness had washed over us. I stole a glance at Nidhi; she was looking elsewhere. When I followed her gaze, I found her staring at the table adjacent to the bed. She shifted her gaze from the table, our eyes meeting briefly before she averted her eyes and focused on the table again.

Realization struck me-she might be thirsty. Swiftly, I went to the table and filled a glass with water, forwarding it to her. "Here."

This was the moment I truly looked at her. She seemed tired and pale, with redness in the corners of her eyes and evident eye bags-perhaps from crying in the washroom. Sweat glistened near her hairline.

Was her nervousness due to my presence? It was quite apparent; she experienced an anxiety attack during our first meeting, so nervousness was understandably expected.

She took the glass from my hand, slowly sipping half of the water. I promptly took it from her and placed the glass back on the table. "Let's go," I said, turning my gaze away from her.

Taking a few steps toward the door, I realized she wasn't following me. When I turned back, I saw her struggling to get out of bed.

With long strides, I reached the bed where she sat. She raised her gaze to meet mine, quickly lowering it again. I gestured for her to hold my hand. When she hesitated, I held her hand firmly, ensuring not to cause any pain. Initially, she flinched, but sensing my determination, she eventually relented. Holding both her hands, I helped her stand up.

She stumbled a bit at first, her grip on my arm and hand tightening. Glancing at her feet, I noticed she was barefoot. I guided her to a nearby chair, went to the other side, retrieved her slippers, and delicately placed them on her feet.

She looked at me with surprise and curiosity, and though I sensed she wanted to ask something, but she swallowed the questions forming in her mind.

_________

She was leaning on the seat with her eyes closed breathing lightly.

"Nidhi seat belt," I said.

She lightly opened her eyes to look at me. With her shivering hands she pulled the seat belt and tried to tug in but she couldn't.

Sensing her discomfort I said, "Let me"

She gave up on the seat belt first I looked at her then slowly lowering my gaze I looked at her hand, holding the seat belt I slowly retrieved the seat belt from her hold and pulled it, which caused her to gasp a little and I tugged it in.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes," she immediately replied.

I started the engine and focused on driving, soon we reached her house.
I pulled the break which caused her to open her eyes.
I removed the seat belt and immediately jumped out of the car and opened the gate for her.

"Now, when you know about the issues with me. Are you going to call off the wedding? She asked with little tears in the corner of her eyes.

"No, I am not," I replied beckoning at her to keep her hand in my hand.

"Why? Don't you think you deserve a normal girl?" She spoke, as she came out of the car, her hands were shivering cold, and her full of expressions, that were hard to explain.

I pushed the gate behind her. I looked back at her, chuckling at little I replied, "As far as I can see, you have two hands, two legs, two eyes which normally any person has. So you are normal and about rest of the issues. We can deal with them later."

She looked at me, her facial expressions showing relief.

"Shall I call Shivani? She will help you walk inside." I said.

"No, I can walk, it's just that the anxiety attack drains my energy, "she replied.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes," she hastily replied.

When I left her hand she immediately stumbled. I pulled her by her waist and pinned her against my chest. She shivered with my touch and when realised what I have done.

I left her again holding her hand.

"I am sorry, it suddenly happened. You were falling I could think of anything else," I said in guilt.

"It's okay," she replied.

"But did you notice, how perfectly you were able to walk. I am enthralled," I said.

She left a tensed laugh and looked at me.

"Let me walk you inside," I said.

She didn't hesitate and led me help her. We walked inside her house this time she didn't hesitate to hold my hand.

When we stepped inside only Shivani was sitting in the Drawing room. She came rushing towards us.

"Di are you okay?" she asked with concern.

"Yes, Shivani, I'm fine. Please take me to my room," Nidhi said.

She looked at me and gestured to leave her hand. The moment I left her hand Shivani came forward to take her hand in her hand.

"Take care," I said.

She turned back towards me and smiled weakly at me.

"I will," she replied.

Shivani held her hand, helping her to walk. When Nidhi stepped on the first stair, she again turned around and looked at me with no expressions on her face.

________________

NIDHI

Shivani helped me walk to the room and assisted me in laying on the bed. After a long day, exhaustion overcame me, and I quickly fell asleep the moment I lay down.

I woke up to the growling of my stomach, signaling hunger. It was almost midnight, and, as usual, no one bothered to wake me for dinner. Yawning, I leisurely slipped out of bed, taking slow steps toward the washroom to change out of the dress I wore for shopping.

I changed into a night suit, just a pant and a t-shirt. As I stepped out of the washroom, my eyes landed on the things we bought for my wedding, placed on the couch by Shivani. Before examining them, I went to the kitchen to find something to eat. The refrigerator offered little more than raw ingredients, but I found a packet of bread. I decided to make a sandwich and quickly gathered the required items. After toasting the bread, I made two sandwiches.

Bringing the sandwiches and a water bottle to my room, I devoured the food, then turned my attention to the items we purchased. Among them, I noticed an extra box, wrapped in gift paper. There was something written on it, barely visible in the dim lighting of my room. Switching on the light, I uncovered the gift to read:

From Vaibhav to Nidhi

Reading those words, I felt a flutter of excitement in my stomach. Opening the gift, I struggled initially but eventually succeeded in discarding the wrapping paper. Inside was a jewelry box, and when I opened it, my eyes fell on the same neckpiece I had admired at the jewelry showroom. I hadn't even realized that he noticed me looking at it.

Was my liking and amusement too obvious?

He must have bought it while I was in the washroom. Delighted, not just because of the jewelry but because he cared enough to get me something he noticed me admiring, I closed the box and placed it inside the wardrobe. It felt too personal to share with anyone.

Returning to bed, sleep proved elusive, my thoughts wandering violently with no direction. Thoughts of Rohit, Vaibhav, their behavior, and my past circled in my mind.

Should I tell him about my past? We're no longer together, but what if he learns from someone else? What if Rohit himself discloses our past? Maybe I should, but what if it jeopardizes the wedding?

I can't keep him in the dark, especially after the care he showed yesterday. My head was spinning with these thoughts as I drifted back to sleep.

I woke up to a loud knock on the door. Startled, I opened it to find Priya standing there with a huge smile.

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed in excitement, embracing her tightly.

"How did you come here? I forgot to tell you the dates," I said regretfully.

"Uncle called me day before yesterday, asking me to come as soon as possible," she replied.

"Come inside. Don't tell me you planned to stay in the guest room," I said, pulling her luggage inside.

"Honestly, no. I had all the plans to be a constant presence in your head until the wedding, so you get fed up with me and don't miss me after getting married," she joked.

"Nice idea, by the way," I replied in amusement.

"Did you just wake up?" Priya asked.

"Yes, I actually slept very late last night."

"What kept you up? Did our jiju occupy your thoughts, or did he actually occupy you?" she asked, grinning.

"Actually none. I slept in the evening," I replied, teasing her by lightly pushing her shoulder.

"Don't tell me you don't even have his number," she asked in shock.

"Actually, I don't. We didn't get a chance to share our contact numbers," I replied.

"Are you feeling bad? That you both didn't even get a chance to share your contact number," she said, pinching my cheeks lightly.

"At least you both met, right?" she questioned.

"Yes, yesterday he took me for shopping," I replied.

"What did you get?" she asked.

Now her questions were annoying me.

"I will tell you everything; first, let me get ready," I said, heading towards my wardrobe, pulling out my clothes, and quickly stepping into the washroom.

____________

AT NIGHT

"Then he dropped me back. Since then, we have not interacted," I narrated everything to Priya about what happened with Vaibhav and even showed her the gift he gave me.

"It means his behavior is nicer than his looks," Priya said, smirking.

"Priya, stop talking about his good looks again and again. For God's sake, he is going to be my husband," I said, annoyed.

"Oh, possessive wife," she teased me again.

"On a serious note, Priya, I wanted to ask, should I tell him about Rohit?" I inquired.

"Just tell him. I don't think he would mind it. I mean, you both didn't have anything physical. So, I don't think it should matter to anyone. I will not, I don't think so," she replied in a serious tone.

"Hmmm," I hummed.

"Next time, whenever you get a chance to talk to him, tell him. Or if you want me to arrange his number, I can do that for you," she suggested with a hint of a smile.

"Stop provoking me now; let's sleep. Tomorrow we have to visit a temple," I said, cutting her off.

We chatted for a few more minutes, but the day's hustle and bustle didn't let me stay awake for long.

Sleep engulfed us quickly.

I woke up to Mumma's voice.

"Nidhi, get ready fast. We have to visit a temple. Don't make me wait; otherwise, I wouldn't mind leaving you here."

I quickly got ready, wearing a red saree, and all of us left for the temple.

AT THE TEMPLE

The moment I stepped out of the car, I saw Sulekha Aunty, and this made me realize that even Vaibhav could be here.

I went towards her and bent to touch her feet, but as usual, she stopped me in between.

"Nidhi, how many times should I tell you? Daughters don't touch feet. Let's just hug," she said, coming a little closer and hugging me.

The second we broke the hug, my sight fell on Vaibhav and Adarsh coming.

When I saw him looking at me, I quickly lowered my gaze.

Vaibhav was dressed in a turquoise-colored kurta and white pajama, looking handsome as always. His demeanor seemed different around me compared to when he interacted with others. While he displayed a more serious demeanor among people, our conversations carried a hint of a smile, occasional guilt, and sometimes a carefree attitude. However, in this setting, he appeared entirely serious, with no discernible expressions on his face.

Even he went towards my parents to touch their feet. Mumma didn't object, but my father just hugged him.

"Vaibhav beta, get me some flowers. I forgot to buy them," Sulekha Aunty said to Vaibhav.

He went towards the shop, which was quite far, and we all went inside the temple.

Mumma and papa both got busy with Sulekha Aunty.

Priya and I were sitting behind, and she was constantly teasing me.

Suddenly I felt someone behind me. The moment I turned back, I saw Adarsh, who was eavesdropping on our conversation.

"Hi Bhabhi," he said, smiling very cutely.

"Hi Adarsh," I replied with the same energy.

"Bhabhi, introduce me to your friend as well," Adarsh said, looking at Priya.

"Uhhhmm, Adarsh, she's Priya, my best friend, and Priya, he is Adarsh, Vaibhav's younger brother," I said, pointing towards them.

They both shook hands.

"Bhabhi, did you realize that I am the same guy who teased you a week back?" he said, smiling mischievously.

"Hmm, I properly remember, Adarsh. Proper revenge will be taken," I replied, pulling his ear.

We were all laughing together, but Vaibhav was nowhere to be seen.

Adarsh was busy cracking jokes and making everyone laugh. The four of us were seated behind my parents and Sulekha Aunty-Shivani, Roshni, me, and Adarsh. He exhibited a childlike demeanor, a marked contrast to Vaibhav's behavior.

Just then, I noticed Vaibhav entering the temple, holding various flowers in his hand. He looked at me, still displaying no expressions on his face. I glanced back at him, maintaining eye contact longer than usual, and this time he averted his gaze.

Despite it being our second encounter, there was a certain comfort in his presence. Perhaps it stemmed from him witnessing me at my most vulnerable state and handling the situation adeptly.

"You all are disturbing us," Mumma said with an angry glare. And she made me come out of my thoughts.

We all got silent after that, and I closed my eyes, trying to focus on the rituals.

Soon, I realized that Adarsh and Priya were not there with me.

I kept sitting there, looking at the rituals my soon-to-be mother-in-law and my parents were doing. Then, suddenly, I felt someone tapping on my shoulder. I turned back with a jerk and let out a sigh when I saw Priya behind me.

"Come, I have to show you something very important. You will love it," she murmured near my ear. Then swiftly pulled me by my hand and dragged me out of the temple.

"Priya, slow down; I am wearing a saree. I will fall," I exclaimed in irritation.

"Priya, if I fall, I will not fall alone; you will accompany me on the ground," I said in annoyance.

She stopped near a pond, which was maybe made for religious baths, making me stop abruptly.

Just when I closed my eyes to relax, she pushed me very hard, causing me to push into another person.

"I am sorry, sir; my friend...," I lost my words when I saw that the person was none other than Vaibhav.

He quickly turned back, irritation etched on his face. But the moment his eyes fell on me, his demeanor changed. He was on a call talking to someone.

"Rishita, I will call you later," he ordered. Then he slipped his phone into his pocket.

"I am sorry; she pushed me," I turned to point my finger towards Priya, but she was nowhere to be seen.

I couldn't handle myself. "I am sorry for pushing you," I exclaimed.

"It's okay; there is nothing to apologize for," he said, smiling.

I weakly smiled at him.

"No, there is; you got disturbed because of me. I am sorry," I said with my head lowered and my fingers unintentionally fiddling with each other.

"Hushhhh, I can't get disturbed because of you," he said, smiling at me.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Quite well," I took a pause and remembered that I didn't thank him for that day, "and thank you so much. I couldn't thank you that day. Thanks for taking care of me, and thanks for the gift. It was so nice of you," I said, looking at him.

"I didn't possess your contact information, preventing me from expressing my gratitude on that particular day," I babbled.

"Are you subtly seeking my number, Ms. Fiancée?" Vaibhav's unexpected query rendered me momentarily speechless.

"No, I'm not," I promptly responded.

"So, you have no interest in obtaining my number?" he probed further.

"I didn't explicitly state that either," I deadpanned.

He was well aware of the game he was playing, evident from the sly smile on his face. However, I lacked the courage to definitively declare my stance.

"Here," he extended his phone toward me.

"What?" I inquired, perplexed.

"Your number, Ms. Nidhi," he stated, a hint of amusement in his voice.

I accepted the phone from his grasp and swiftly entered my number, saving it simply as "Nidhi."

"Well, my pleasure," he replied.

"Now, let's go; everyone must be waiting," he said.

I nodded.

Just then, I realized I had to tell him something.

"Wait, I wanted to tell you something important," I said, emphasizing on important.

"Now?" he asked.

"Yes, now," I said.

"Okay, I am all ears," he said with seriousness in his tone.

"Can we sit somewhere?" I asked.

"Ya, sure," he replied.

We started walking towards the stairs of the lake; he was behind me, and I walked a little ahead of him. We sat under a tree.

"Ya, continue," he said.

"Vaibhav," The moment I realized that I spelled his name in front of him for the first time, a wave of nervousness hit me quite badly.

When I looked at him, he was smiling at me with amusement.

"I-I m-me-an, uhmm, I am sorry," I apologized.

"Nidhi, you don't have to apologize for everything," he said.

"Countinue," he said.

Gathering every bits and pieces of courage from my body, my eyes were fluttering badly. I looked at him.

"I-I h-ha-ad a past," I stuttered at first but at last I quickly completed what I was trying to say.

Strength and courage left my body. I was petrified about his reaction.

I looked back at him and his gaze was still on me, not ready to budge. I lowered my gaze again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 426 22
Nitya, a very talented aspiring designer, whose only dream is to become the 'Best Designer' in the country, reaches Delhi with an Internship offer wi...
648K 39.2K 43
"Kabir Malhotra, a 25-year-old, young, handsome, gym freak, always a hot topic among girls. He's known to be rude and doesn't care about anyone excep...
154K 7K 27
Dev and Mahi. Practically strangers to each other. Their mothers, not so much. They are the best friends. Both of their families are not less than a...
419 52 11
hieee..this is ruhi...pls give this story a chance 🤞 dedication~ TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO BE HEALED The story is about two childhood friends VANSHI...