Water Under the Bridge || Eva...

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4] More

water under the bridge
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter twenty one

1.1K 41 9
By aprilmoonlight16

friends come and go

"Feels like we haven't seen each other in forever!" Alexis exclaimed dramatically after being embraced in Josephine's arms at the door.

Josephine closed the door behind her and trailed Alexis into the kitchen once inviting her inside. "Our lives are busy mostly with work, especially you. But it's only been a few months since you moved out and we've texted and facetimed almost every week." She humored lightly.

Alexis refrained from rolling her eyes as she slid onto the stool at the countertop. "Yeah, but during the time we lived together we saw each other more often."

"Does that mean you want to move back in?" Josephine teased, offering a glass of smoothie she produced before Alexis' arrival.

"No, I'm good. Living with Will has been great." Alexis admitted about her blossoming relationship. "I just missed my best friend."

A small smile graced upon Josephine's lips. "I missed my best friend too."

"So, tell me why you couldn't give me details about Buck meeting your mom at dinner the other night?"

Josephine shifted in her stance, "The dinner itself went well. My mom liked Buck. It's what she disclosed to me before we left." She pressed her lips together. "She started seeing someone."

Alexis' reaction nearly mirrored Josephine's when her mother told her. "Oh wow, she hasn't dated anyone since your dad passed, right?"

"From my knowledge, she's went on dates but never brought anyone home. Never lasted past the second date at least." Josephine tried to recall. She's overheard conversations from her relatives or Vanessa when they were young. Their mother had no intentions of being with someone else while grieving for their father.

"Did she tell you who she's seeing?"

"An old family friend. A friend of hers to be exact. His name is Richard."

Letting out an intrigued hum, Alexis raised an eyebrow. "Okay. How are you feeling about that?"

"Shocked, but it's her life. She should be happy. That's probably what my dad wanted for her."

"Right. When my parents dated other people before getting back together it was weird. It'll take some time to get used to."

The 118 firehouse and responding officers were dispatched at the court of a neighborhood downtown that morning. Caution tape secured the area preventing wandering neighbors from entering apart from a few news reporters that have touched down on the scene. For this dispatch call to gravitate some attention could likely be the call was a hostage negotiation. The only life at stake was one—the man pacing on a rooftop of another civilian's house with a gun in his hand.

"Eh, should've tried thinking before ending up on the roof. I mean, he cornered himself." Eddie pointed out, leaning his body against the ladder truck.

Sitting on the step of the truck, Hen sighed, "That there is a whole series of bad life choices culminating in this one unfortunate moment. It'll be tragic if it wasn't so moronic."

"Why don't they just storm the roof? It's not that high. We can give them a ladder." Chimney questioned beside Hen.

All five members of the team were on the benchwarmers of this call watching the scene unfold like the civilians gathered behind the caution tape.

"It's a tactic negotiator's use to drag out the process in order to wear down the suspect." Bobby explained to him.

Josephine chimed in, "Eventually, they hit a breaking point." She mused.

"Or we do." Chimney remarked.

Eyeing the civilian, Hen spoke up. "Ten bucks says he falls right off that roof."

"Says he makes a leap for the tree." Eddie argued, flinging out cash from his pocket. Bobby leaned forward with a questionable look at him. "Come on, the guy's got a least one more bad life choice left in him."

Josephine hummed with uncertainty, tilting her head. "I doubt he's in the headspace to decide for himself. Unless someone hits their breaking point and attempts to push him off but I'm with Hen on this one." She pulled out cash along with Chimney for Hen to collect from them.

There's no accounted time frame when it comes to a hostage negotiation. Three hours passed as the tactical negotiator remained working with the civilian. Meanwhile, the first responders waiting from a couple feet far from the latter ordered pizza, coffee, and dispersed in smaller groups conversing with one another to kill time. All of them hoped the negotiator can convince the man to be willing to come down at some point yet for a man breaking a law it will be tough.

"Christopher is at that age where curiosity plays into mind and more aware of his surroundings. He's a smart kid. There's no other way to get around this. Whatever his reaction turns out to be is normal." Josephine assured Eddie.

The two were having their separate conversation as a few hours passed. Eddie is figuring out the best time to introduce a significant other to your child. Specifically, his former teacher. He didn't put into thought about dating again since Sharon's death. More so, fearing to fall in love again and how Christopher will react because the woman isn't his mother.

He discussed this situation with Athena and Bobby where the Sergeant had been in his shoes. Now, he's trying to gain a different perspective from Josephine.

"So, you're okay having dinner with your mom and her new boyfriend she just dropped on you?" Eddie asked, earning a brow raise from the brunette. He sent a sheepish grin, "Buck might've mentioned that."

"Of course." Josephine rolled her eyes. "If I'm honest, I feel like cancelling on them. I do—I am supportive of my mom's happiness. And it's not like this man is a stranger to me. Even that, it's adjusting to the idea of them together. Kind of hate to say I'm not ready..."

Eddie sympathized with his friend, nodding shortly. "That your mom is in love with someone that isn't your dad?"

Josephine tucked her arms into her body, pursing her lips. "Makes me miss him more than usual."

Shockingly, the negotiation officer barely reached any success with the man on the rooftop. Only angering one person restrained by the caution tape while the rest of the first responders continued to be instructed to remain put.

Josephine sauntered towards her boyfriend immersed in a conversation with the familiar news reporter, Taylor Kelly. You could say she wasn't enlightened by the redhead's presence.

"Hey."

Buck tore his gaze from Taylor, grinning at his girlfriend. "Uh Taylor you remember Josie, right?" He gestured.

"Of course. Nice to see you again. Heard that you two are finally together. I've always had a feeling it would happen." Taylor smirked at the brunette.

Josephine tugged her lips into a tight smile. "Thanks. You're not the only person who says that." She looked up at Buck. "I'm going to need to steal you for a moment." They bid their goodbyes to the news reporter where Josephine dragged him behind the ladder truck to the front of it.

"What exactly do you need me for?"

"Can't I have my boyfriend after hovering another woman in the last few hours?"

Buck stifled a chuckle, sitting down. "Ah...you don't have to be jealous. Taylor is a friend." He leaned over and whispered.

Josephine shot him a glare, "I'm not jealous. I don't trust her. Did you forget she let Bobby nearly throw himself off the roof of the firehouse for her stupid documentary?" She could care less if it was to spark some depth for Taylor's story. Bobby put himself in a life-threatening situation absentmindedly and she did nothing to prevent it.

"She didn't know those brownies had weed in them nor that would transpire that way."

"How about the fact that you two hooked up nearly three years ago?"

"I can assure you that Taylor has no intentions with me considering all I've talked to her about in these last few hours was about you." Buck said, staring admirably at his girlfriend. "Taylor was a brief moment in the past. You are my present and hopefully future." He confessed to what he thought the corniest thing he's said.

Josephine snorted, reaching her pinky out to latch onto his from where their hands were planted on the truck. "A future with the Evan Buckley? That sounds like I've won the lottery." she said with a lace of sarcasm. "I do think it's cute that you want a future with me."

Abruptly, a scream caused them to perk where the man was pushed off the roof of the homeowner and onto the car. It seemed nobody caught sight of the impatient homeowner trespassing through the caution tape. Both firefighters jumped into action along with their colleagues to attend to the man.

The adrenaline pumped Josephine's blood giving her that rush to move faster in her feet. She proceeded in the trail as if there was a finish line posted at the end. She blew out through her lips before inhaling sharply for another breath. Her legs pushed and pushed, making her feel somewhat invincible. Blocking out the entire world from behind merely focusing on that finish line.

Her mind and body worked together to make her halt at the supposed goal post. She blinked her eyes to pull her out of that trance to discover the harmonious view in front of her. Josephine took deep breaths composing herself to prevent herself from collapsing on the ground. She whisked the water bottle out for a refreshing sip.

"Damn, thought I almost lost you back there." Buck panted from behind. He had his hands planted on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "Didn't realize my girlfriend is a speedster."

Josephine let out a breathy chuckle, turning around. "I would think Mr. Hotshot could keep up with me." She elicited a smirk before taking another swig of her water. She pivoted back to the view and settled down to relish it.

Buck huffed, bringing out his water for a sip and joining his girlfriend.

They sat in silence resting and listening to their surroundings. Buck peered at Josephine, appearing a little tense, and spaced out. He's noticed this behavior becoming more frequent this week.

"So...do you want to talk about it?"

Josephine flickered her eyes at him with a perplexed expression. "Talk about..."

"The dinner with your mom and her boyfriend is bothering you." Buck concluded. "I know it's been bugging you since we had dinner with her."

"I thought this run would help clear my head about it but I'm still conflicted."

Buck rested a hand on her leg. "She won't be mad if you aren't ready. Even if you've known the guy when you were younger." He emphasized to assure Josephine's feelings were valid.

"Sure, but I don't have anything against him or them as a couple. Except there's something holding me back..." Josephine frowned, glancing down at her lap.

"Maybe, you need closure to help you."

The car doors slammed once parked at a cemetery.

"Want me to come with you?" Buck rounded to the front of his Keep meeting his girlfriend on the other side.

Josephine stared out, drawing in a breath. "No, I think I'll be okay." She sent him a small smile and then stalked off alone.

Traveling at a far distance into the cemetery, Josephine halted in her tracks at the gravestone that belonged to none other than Diego Santiago. She lowered herself on the ground to sit down like every reoccurring visit.

"Hi, dad. This isn't our usual schedule to talk. Guess you could say it's urgent." She spoke in a questionable tone. Fiddling with her fingers on her lap, she continued. "Mom started dating or should I say is in a relationship. This was bound to happen, but this is the first time that she's bringing someone new to the family after all these years. So, it's a new transition."

Josephine pursed her lips, "This isn't a stranger. It's Richard which doesn't change too much because...he's not you. I do support mom and this relationship. Our relationship was rocky then mended in the last few years. She deserves to be happy and to be loved. I'm sure you've always wanted that for her."

She sucked in her breath, tears beginning to well up. "I know...I know that Richard won't replace you or plans to. But it reminds me how long you've been gone, and it makes me miss you more. I've accepted yet it doesn't mean it hurts any less as an adult."

Peering over her shoulder, she could spot Buck standing against his Jeep from afar. "However, I can't dwell on the past when the future is promising."

A ripple of knocks alerted Josephine while lounging in her home. Buck had gone to pick up their dinner ten minutes ago, so, she couldn't believe that he would be back that quick. Unless he forgot his wallet along the way. Her feet shuffled towards the door to answer it. Instead of finding her tall boyfriend, she is greeted by a shorter and young boy Christopher.

Josephine assumed his father had no idea about Christopher's unannounced presence at her place. As she invited him inside, her phone rang. Buck called to which she believed would be about the young boy. She confirmed that he was safe and showed up at her place. She told him that she'll calm their worrisome friend about his son's whereabouts.

Once hanging up on the phone with Eddie, Josephine sauntered towards Christopher sitting on the couch.

"So, I heard about you blowing up at your dad." She narrowed as she sat next to him.

Christopher refused to meet the brunette's gaze. "I don't want to talk about it."

Josephine let out a hum, resting her arms on her lap to lean down. "Well, you're here. So, we got to talk about something." He stayed quiet causing her to sigh. "We're friends, Christopher. Friends are there to listen and help talk out your problems or feelings. Between us, I'm sure I can understand what you're going through."

"How?"

"Well...my mom told me that she's dating. She's in a relationship with a new guy since my dad left to heaven." Josephine shared, capturing Christopher's attention. "She wants me to have dinner with them. I can't deny it's hard even being happy and supportive because I think about my dad."

Christopher frowned, "Dad's dating too."

"Even though our parents started dating other people, it doesn't mean they're forgetting my dad or your mom."

"I wish I could forget."

Josephine furrowed, "What do you mean?"

"People go away. Not just mom. Abuelita, Carla, my friends. They leave and I miss them. I don't wanna miss anyone else." He lowered his gaze to his lap. This past year without seeing his family or friends has been difficult.

"Losing people can hurt along the way. It's sad but not everyone goes away forever." She explained to him. "You're going to go through life where they come back. Those little reunions are the best because we feel this burst of happiness to see them after missing them so much. You're going to see your abuelita, friends, and Carla again."

Christopher lifted his gaze with hope. "And you promise?"

A smile appeared on Josephine's lips, "I do. And until that happens, you still got me and Buck. Cause we're not going anywhere."

"You can back out if you want." Buck said as he and Josephine were walking up towards her childhood home. He had one arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him. "How about a safe word? Safe words are great even though we didn't have one when my parents visited." He rambled on, causing Josephine to stifle a laugh.

After visiting her father and the one on one talk with Christopher, Josephine felt less conflicted about dinner with her mother and Richard. Especially having a conversation with Vanessa about the idea of their mother in a new relationship.

They stopped at the front door. Josephine glanced up, "Very sweet of you but I think I'll be good tonight. Thank you."

Buck grinned down at his girlfriend before pressing a kiss on her temple. She turned her head forward and rang the doorbell. Buck's stare lingered on her merely feeling at his happiest to have her by his side.

-Finally posted a new chapter after a few months! I didn't realize it's been that long, my apologies! This chapter is a filler since there was nothing much to do in the episode itself. I am eager to finish this season up. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to comment and vote! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 12/8/23

PUBLISHED: 12/9/23

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 2.8K 14
"NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN HER, AND NOT EVERYONE SUPPORTS HER, BUT HER GOD GOES WITH HER AND THATS WHAT SUSTAINS HER." 9-1-1 season 1 OC x Evan 'Buck'...
62.9K 1K 28
After a long battle against justice, Evan Buckley, mostly known as Buck is finally back at house 118. Injured in duty, his main purpose always was to...
388K 11.1K 39
In which, Sasha Carter's casual night outings completely changes her life. [911 SEASON 2-3]
44K 2.4K 19
In which, Sasha Carter learns a new understanding of life when it revolves around more people she has grown to love. [911 SEASON 4]