The Eminence in Shadow: The D...

By Lighningtzzz

Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends... More

Chapter 1: When It All Started
Chapter 2: Pursuit of Shadows
Chapter 3: Clash of Blades and Revelation
Chapter 4: Kirito's Intervention
Chapter 5: Yukime's Resilience
Chapter 6: Mastering Magic and Unlocking Potential
Chapter 7: Whispers in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Undercover Charades
Chapter 9: An Interrupted Date
Chapter 10: Moonlit Pursuit
Chapter 11: Clash of Fates in the Underground Abyss
Chapter 12: Shadows Converge
Chapter 13: Shenanigans Around
Chapter 14: Market Mayhem
Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy
Chapter 17: The Mundane Masquerade
Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade
Chapter 19: Blades of Defiance
Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel
Chapter 21: Theatrical Intrigues and Daring Rescues
Chapter 22: Cleansing the Shadows
Chapter 23: The Powerful Convergence
Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets
Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments
Chapter 26: Veiled Prophecies
Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.
Chapter 28: Secrets and Strife
Chapter 29: Kirito's Unexpected Duel
Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger
Chapter 31: The Academy's Incident
Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve
Chapter 33: Kirito, Shadow And The Mysterious Clock Tower
Chapter 34: Decisions and Departures
Chapter 35: A Day With A Princess
Chapter 36: Ticking Time of Misfortunes
Chapter 37: The Knight and the Enigmatic Spirit
Chapter 38: Kurumi Versus Kirito
Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow
Chapter 40: Kirito, Aurora and Cid's Odyssey
Chapter 41: Chains of Aurora's Past
Chapter 42: Confrontation In The Holy Ground

Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit

1.3K 58 23
By Lighningtzzz

A few years later...
In the heart of Midgar, an old man sat at a weathered desk, surrounded by parchment and quills. With a twinkle in his eye and a voice like rustling leaves, he began to talk to Cid, the newest addition to the Royal Spellsword Academy.

"Welcome, young Cid Kageno, to the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy."

Cid, his eyes wide with anticipation, responded, "I can't wait to dive into the magic and swordsmanship and start this incredible journey!"

Exiting the grand doors of the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy, Cid took a deep breath, feeling the weight of newfound possibilities. "Here's to a new chapter of my 'Background Character' persona," he murmured, a sense of excitement bubbling within.

As he strolled through the courtyard, Cid noticed a gathering of students, their whispers carrying a sense of anticipation.

Cid, normally uninterested in crowds, sighed, "Well, I'd usually avoid this, but I suppose for the sake of being an 'average' protagonist, I've got no choice." He quickened his pace toward the gathering, muttering, "Guess if you want to be a brainless chicken, you've got to stick with the flock!" with a mischievous grin.

Cid approached the gathering, curious about the commotion. As he joined, his eyes fell upon Kirito, engaged in a spirited debate with a member of the Knight Order.

Intrigued, Cid thought, "Looks like I stumbled upon a clash of personalities. Might as well see what the fuss is about." He sidled up, catching snippets of the argument and observing the dynamic unfolding before him.

The Knight Order member sneered, "Hah, look who we have here, a foreigner daring to step into the renowned Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy. Did you get lost on your way to some backwater academy, outsider?"

Kirito, with a confident grin, replied, "Well, it's a good thing this academy believes in embracing talent from all corners. Unlike some, I guess." He shrugged casually, adding, "Guess they didn't mention the 'locals only' rule in the brochure, did they?"

The Knight Order member scoffed, his tone dripping with arrogance, "Allowing peasants like you into our esteemed academy is akin to turning it into a rubbish heap. We should be cultivating true talent, not scraping the bottom of the barrel for foreign mediocrity."

Kirito, maintaining his composure, retorted, "Well, my dear critic, the academy values skill over social hierarchy. It's not about where you come from but what you can achieve."

The Knight Order member scoffed again, "Skill, you say? Maybe, but at least those of us from this continent have a legacy. Unlike you, a stranger without a noble crest or any mark of significance."

Kirito, unfazed, smirked, "Legacy or not, talent knows no boundaries. I may not carry a noble crest, but I've got something better – a determination to prove that true skill transcends the need for titles and symbols."

The Knight Order member's face contorted with anger, his fists clenching as if ready to throw a punch at Kirito. The tension hung thick in the air until a commanding voice sliced through the brewing confrontation.

"Enough!"

The authority in the voice belonged to Zenon Griffey, a calm figure with a commanding presence. The angry guy turned abruptly, his expression shifting from fury to submission as he bowed respectfully.

"I apologize, Mr. Zenon," he muttered, his tone humbled. "I let my emotions get the better of me."

Zenon Griffey gazed at the heated exchange, his eyes narrowing with a mix of disappointment and concern. "What is the meaning of this disturbance?" he inquired, his voice cutting through the tension.

The Knight Order member, seizing the opportunity to twist the narrative, quickly explained, "Mr. Zenon, this outsider here believes he can match the prowess of our local talents. It's an insult to the legacy and tradition of our academy."

Kirito, his eyes flashing with indignation, interjected, "Insult? I'm here to prove that skill is not bound by borders or birthright. I respect tradition, but I won't be held back by outdated notions of superiority."

Zenon surveyed them both with a calm yet penetrating gaze. "Disputes should be settled through merit, not words. Let your skills in the academy speak for you," he declared, his words carrying a weight that silenced the brewing storm.

The Knight Order member, a sinister smirk playing on his lips, drew his sword with a flourish. "Words can only carry you so far, outsider. Allow me to show you the harsh reality of our academy."

As he prepared to make his move, Zenon Griffey intervened with swift authority. He raised a hand, stopping the Knight Order member in his tracks. Zenon turned his gaze toward Kirito, the crowd's attention now fully on them.

In a tone that cut through the tension, Zenon addressed Kirito directly. "If you wish to prove yourself, then let it be through action, not confrontation. However, it seems we need a more controlled environment for this demonstration."

He turned to the Knight Order member, his expression stern. "Put your sword away. We settle matters with discipline, not impulsive displays of aggression."

The Knight Order member hesitated, but under Zenon's unwavering gaze, he reluctantly sheathed his sword.

Zenon then turned back to Kirito, his voice carrying across the courtyard. "Boy, if you believe in the strength of your convictions, I will be your opponent. Let the academy witness your abilities in a proper duel, where skill speaks louder than words."

The crowd hushed, anticipating the clash between the newcomer and the academy's authority figure.

Kirito, with a determined nod, agreed to the duel proposed by Zenon Griffey. The two of them began walking toward a designated area, the anticipation of the crowd hanging in the air.

As Cid observed Kirito's confident stride, he couldn't help but analyze him. "Hmm, he talks a big game, but there's something ordinary about him," Cid mused to himself. "I can't sense any exceptional power. He's just above average."

Amidst the onlooking crowd, a group of guys exchanged sly glances, their faces contorted with suppressed laughter. One of them, smirking, said, "I bet Zenon will finish this newcomer in a single move. Anyone brave enough to wager against that?"

Another guy chimed in, chuckling, "Come on, easy money! Zenon's like a living legend here. One move, and it's game over for Mr. Talkative over there."

As the bets were placed, they turned to Cid, who was still observing the unfolding spectacle. "Hey, new kid, what's your take on this? Think Zenon can wrap it up in one move?"

Cid, embracing his newfound 'Background Character' persona, scratched his head and replied with an air of cluelessness, "Oh, one move? Nah, I think the other guy got this. He looks like he can... um, dodge really well, you know?"

The guys burst into laughter, one of them clapping Cid on the shoulder. "Dodging, huh? Classic! Well, if that guy wins, we'll give you a hundred gold coins. What do you say to that?"

Cid, realizing the weight of his words, blinked in surprise. "Wait, what? A hundred gold coins? Uh, sure, why not? Go, foreigner guy!"

The laughter intensified as the guys exchanged amused glances. "You got it, dodgy fortune teller," one of them teased.

As Kirito and Zenon prepared for their duel, Cid's mischievous grin faded into a pained expression. "Dodging? Really, Cid? What have you done?" he muttered to himself, regret settling in faster than he could fathom.

Zenon looked out at the assembled crowd, a confident smirk playing on his lips. He relished the attention, fully aware that this duel was not just an opportunity to showcase his skill but a chance to solidify his position as a revered figure within the academy. The murmurs of the students fueled his confidence, and he revelled in the prospect of becoming a favourite among them.

As his eyes scanned the faces, he locked eyes with a particular girl in the crowd. There was a subtle intensity in his gaze, an indirect message meant only for her. It was a challenge.

Amid the anticipation, Zenon's thoughts were resolute. "This is my chance to shine, to show everyone what I'm capable of," he thought to himself. "And perhaps, in the process, she'll realise who I truly am."

On the other side, Kirito stood with a calm demeanour. The years in this world had moulded him into a seasoned warrior, honing his skills in secret battles against the Cult of Diablos.

As he prepared for the duel with Zenon Griffey, Kirito's thoughts drifted to the covert missions he undertook to thwart the cult's sinister plans. His experiences had granted him insights into their workings, and he realized that to protect Midgar, he needed to integrate further into the city.

The decision to join the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy wasn't just about showcasing his skills but also about blending into the society he sought to defend. Kirito planned to reveal only a fraction of his abilities during the duel, just enough to surprise Zenon and quell the escalating tension.

"Very well," Zenon declared with authority, his voice cutting through the restless whispers of the crowd. "We shall begin."

He assumed a focused stance, his eyes fixed on Kirito. "Prepare yourself," he added, the air thick with anticipation.

Kirito nodded, acknowledging the challenge. He mirrored Zenon's stance, a calm determination in his eyes as he readied his sword for the impending duel.

Just as the tension reached its peak, a sudden disturbance erupted from the crowd. The same Knight Order member who had confronted Kirito earlier emerged, a sinister grin on his face. With a swift motion, he threw a sword towards Kirito, the blade spiralling through the air.

The sword clattered to the ground at Kirito's feet, and the Knight Order member taunted from the crowd, "Looks like this foreigner needs two swords to even hope to match someone like Zenon!"

The onlookers reacted with a mix of gasps and murmurs, caught off guard by this unexpected turn of events. Zenon, maintaining his composure, raised an eyebrow at the provocation, silently urging Kirito to respond to the challenge thrown his way.

Kirito's gaze shifted to the sword at his feet, irritation flickering in his eyes. With a controlled exhale, he bent down, picking up the additional weapon. The crowd's whispers heightened as they anticipated his reaction.

In a rare display of visible annoyance, Kirito muttered under his breath, "Two swords? Really pushing it, aren't we?" His grip on both blades tightened, a subtle tension radiating from him.

On most occasions, Yukime would be there to calm him down, lecturing him on the importance of not standing out too much. However, in this particular instance, she was conspicuously absent.

Kirito, with the additional sword in hand, felt the weight of the situation. He knew that, given his current power, one sword—or perhaps even a mere stick—would be sufficient. However, wielding two swords in a duel was akin to inviting obliteration, a fact not lost on him.

Zenon, with a dismissive smirk, waved a hand in approval. "If you wish to fight like that, foreigner, by all means, wield your second blade," he declared, underestimating Kirito's true prowess. However, he added with a hint of condescension, "But before we proceed, at least have the courtesy to share your name."

Kirito, maintaining his calm exterior, looked directly into Zenon's eyes. "Kirito," he said simply, his voice carrying a subtle weight.

Zenon nodded as if acknowledging an inconsequential detail. "Very well, Kirito. Show me what two blades can achieve against a master like myself."

As Kirito assumed a dual-sword stance, the atmosphere shifted. In an instant, Zenon found himself surrounded by an overwhelming onslaught of afterimages. The courtyard became a dance of shadows as Kirito moved with unparalleled speed, a million reflections of his presence converging from all directions.

Each afterimage held a distinct aura, and Zenon's trained eyes widened in realization. He understood the gravity of the situation—the million variations weren't just for show; each represented a potential outcome, a unique attack pattern that could bring about his defeat.

The courtyard echoed with the phantom strikes of Kirito's afterimages, and Zenon, for the first time, felt a seed of apprehension gnawing at the edges of his confidence. The sheer speed and precision were beyond any normal human capability, and a cold realization crept into Zenon's mind.

In a low, resonant voice, Kirito spoke, "One million possibilities, Zenon."

As the afterimages continued their intricate dance, a chilling wind swept through the courtyard. The shadows coalesced into a single, focused form as Kirito, now wielding both swords with expert finesse, emerged from the whirlwind of possibilities.

Kirito's cold gaze bore into Zenon, who, overwhelmed by the spectacle of afterimages, fell to his knees in utter shock. The courtyard, once filled with anticipation, now hushed as Kirito, with a calculated calmness, raised his dual swords.

In that moment of silence, Kirito declared his victory without uttering a word. The crowd, initially clueless about the unfolding events, began to murmur and question what had transpired. However, the sight of Zenon on his knees, a defeated authority figure, spoke louder than any explanation.

The group of guys who had placed bets exchanged bewildered glances as they watched Zenon Griffey, the supposed unbeatable figure, kneeling before Kirito's dual swords. Their confident expressions transformed into expressions of shock and disbelief.

One of them stammered, "What just happened? Did we miss something? There's no way... Zenon was supposed to end this in one move!"

Another guy, wide-eyed, chimed in, "Did the foreigner cheat? I mean, this is unreal. No one saw that coming!"

The whispers among the onlookers grew, with some questioning the legitimacy of Kirito's victory. The atmosphere shifted from anticipation to confusion and scepticism.

Amidst the perplexed crowd, one of the guys turned to another and asked, "Hey, where's that new kid, Cid?"

The realization dawned upon them, and the group frantically scanned the courtyard for Cid, who had seemingly vanished.

Not far away from there...
Cid sprinted through the academy grounds, his legs carrying him as fast as his regret could propel him. "Glad I ran away! Those guys and their bets, I can't afford to be a gold coin charity!" he panted, dodging students who looked at him with confused expressions.

As he caught his breath behind a convenient statue, Cid chuckled to himself. "Dodging bets is one of my true talents. Classic move, Cid, classic move." He peeked around the statue, realizing the chaos he narrowly avoided in that duel.

"I sensed a great power coming from there," he said to himself with an exaggerated shiver. "That foreigner is done for, and my wallet is safe. Win-win!" Cid continued his escape, imagining himself as the elusive dodging maestro of Midgar, leaving chaos and confusion in his wake.

The students, despite initial confusion, began to realize the magnitude of Kirito's victory. Some approached him with admiration, offering congratulations and acknowledging the unexpected turn of events. Kirito, accepting the praise with humility, nodded and exchanged brief words with those who gathered around him.

Amid the crowd, a girl with long silver hair observed Kirito with keen interest. Her smirk deepened as she realized that, in Kirito, she had found someone whose abilities could be of significant use to her own agenda.

With a subtle nod of approval, she muttered to herself, "Well, well, Kirito. You might just be the ally I've been searching for."

Garden's Ally:
Kirito, though not officially part of Shadow Garden, often collaborates with them on missions and intel gatherings. Every week, a member of the Seven Shades meets with him for various purposes. Yukime, however, isn't particularly pleased with this arrangement.

Extra:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.5K 1K 24
"Have you ever truly experienced the feeling of losing your sense of reality?" These words echoed mysteriously in Kirigaya Kazuto's mind one day. Lit...
88.9K 3K 15
"I'm sorry, Kazuto," I whispered. I will not let you fall. "Stay alive and get out of here...Kirito...Asuna..." I'm sorry. "Goodbye." I closed my...
264K 5.9K 38
While Claire Kagenou works among the Crimson Order, The Shadow Monarch, Kagari Kagenou watches and over their idiot little brother Cid Kagenou and hi...
29.6K 1.2K 26
I am Jubelith, a die hard Kalluto Zoldyck fan. . . ...