Solace

By Meehira__writes

Nidhi, an adopted child, lost her biological parents in a horrific accident at the tender age of four, result... More

Copyright
Solace
|1|sorrow
|2| truth
|3| life
|4| forced
|6| dates
|7| meet
|8| anxiety
|9| past
|10| locked
|11| wedding
|12| competition
|13| not so easy
|14| happy moments
|15| anger
PLAGIARISED-CHEATERS
|16| guilt
|17| sorry
|18| smile
|19| payal
|20| reception
|21| friends
|22| departure
|23| thoughts
|24| talk
|25| understanding
|26| accident
|27| slumber
|28| college
|29| pothos
|30| monthiversary
|31| allergy
|32| confirmation
|33| proximity
|34|stormy hearts
|35| mine
|36|longing

|5| person

370 101 38
By Meehira__writes

NIDHI

After my morning walk, I returned to my room and prepared for the day. Before getting ready, I checked the application status of my lectureship on my phone. As I opened it, my attention was drawn to an unseen message from an unknown number. The profile photo featured a man in a tuxedo.

Upon opening the message, he wrote:

"Hi Bhabhi, Adarsh here."

"I thought I'd do you a favor by sending you an awesome photograph."

Below this message, there was an image, initially blurred due to not being downloaded. I proceeded to download it.

Upon seeing the photo, electrifying jolts surged through my body.

My heart raced as I observed him, and a wave of nervousness swept over me, creating a knot in my stomach. The simple act of seeing him triggered an unsettling mix of anticipation and anxiety, leaving me momentarily breathless. Warmth flushed my cheeks, and I felt a sense of shame due to my body's unexpected response. It hadn't even been a month since my painful breakup, and now I found myself drawn to another man.

The man in the photo was Vaibhav, my fiancé, my would-be husband. Dressed in a tuxedo, he stood in the center, Adarsh to his left, and another man to his right, possibly taken after a business deal.

Vaibhav looked incredibly professional. The photo didn't allow me to gauge his height accurately, but he appeared taller than Adarsh. His features were striking, fair complexion, and deep brown eyes that could easily captivate anyone who gazed into them. His robust build and handsome appearance, while not conventional, made him stand out in a crowd. Broad shoulders were accentuated by the well-fitted tuxedo, giving prominence to his physique. His physique appeared well-maintained, not overly exercised but still in good shape.

In the photograph, he wore a serious expression, not a hint of a smile. Lost in thoughts about him, I proceeded to get ready.

_______

A mere week whisked away like a fleeting moment. In the interim, my mother engaged in frequent conversations with Sulekha Aunty, discussing the intricacies of wedding preparations.

Despite the physical distance, they maintained a constant dialogue, exchanging updates on health and well-being. Sulekha Aunty remained in Lucknow during this period.

Excitement filled my mother's words as she shared the news that Sulekha Aunty contemplated expediting my marriage to Vaibhav. The aim was to facilitate their return to Mumbai promptly, given the bustling schedules of Vaibhav and Adarsh.

My mother, buoyed by this prospect, radiated happiness at the thought.

VAIBHAV

My heart skipped a beat when I realized it wasn't my mother on the other end of the call. A hunch about the caller's identity started forming, and the audible sigh she took confirmed my suspicion.

As I observed Adarsh giggling, annoyance surged within me, prompting me to promptly disconnect the call. Before I could even contemplate catching him, he darted out of my bedroom.

Seeking a distraction, I headed to my study to resume the office work I had been doing earlier. As I opened my laptop and delved into the tasks at hand, my thoughts involuntarily drifted back to the phone call with Nidhi.

Her silence spoke volumes, likely fueled by the unconventional nature of our engagement. The entire process had been markedly different from other engagements, and indeed, from how couples in families traditionally come together. While our engagement held a unique flavor, I pondered over the peculiarity of the situation.

Recollections of our last meeting, when I was around sixteen and she was perhaps twelve, surfaced. Regrettably, we hadn't crossed paths since then. Despite my desire to reconnect, the weight of responsibilities over the years had steered my focus solely towards my family.

Reflecting on my mother's struggles after Papa's demise, I gained a profound understanding of the challenges women face. This awareness dawned on me even before I had matured enough to comprehend such complexities.

I vividly recall the image of Ma in tears, a consequence of a man's misbehavior. These incidents served as a constant reminder, preventing me from veering off my chosen path or entertaining thoughts about anyone else.

I harbored the intention to welcome my life partner only when I had the capability to shield her from the harsh realities of the world. My family was aware of Nidhi's adopted status, and they embraced it without any reservations.

Ma, once disclosed, when I was twenty-five, that my father had always envisioned Nidhi as his daughter-in-law. Even if he hadn't expressed it, marrying Nidhi was the only choice for me. My first encounter with her was when she was merely four, often shedding tears over trivial matters. I have a photo capturing that moment - Nidhi crying, and me standing behind her, laughing.

Although I lacked her contact number and couldn't view her current photo, I could only imagine the changes she had undergone, becoming even more beautiful. During my college years, I remained focused on my career, steering clear of any romantic entanglements. Whether it was love or simple admiration, my heart never harbored the desire for anyone else but Nidhi.

Certainly, I am a successful businessman; however, getting her profile wasn't within my purview. I couldn't access her social media profiles, nor did I possess the means to deploy someone to shadow her every move. Moreover, my schedule did not permit me to travel to Lucknow and personally witness her current appearance.

I cast a glance at the wall adorning the clock and discerned that it was already midnight. The realization struck that I had obligations at the office the following day.

I closed my laptop, I removed my Laptop glasses, as they were causing discomfort and eye strain due to an entire day of work. I retired to my bedroom for a night's rest, the weariness from a day's work lulling me into a quick slumber.

I awoke to the ring of my phone, an unknown number flashing on the screen, I answered the call.

"Hello, this is Ajay Vaidya. Am I speaking with Mr. Vaibhav?" I quickly realized that he was Nidhi's father on the other side of the call.

Clearing my throat, I responded, "Yes, Uncle, this is Vaibhav speaking."

"Good morning, Vaibhav. How are you? Did I disturb your sleep?" he asked.

"Good morning, Uncle. No, you didn't. It was time for me to wake up anyway. I am absolutely fine, just a little tied up with work," I replied.

"Okay, then, that's great. Vaibhav, we've known each other for quite some time now, so without getting stuck in formalities, I'll come straight to the point. Last night, your mother visited; she must have informed you because without your consent, it couldn't have been possible. She wants you and Nidhi to get married. But before finalizing everything, I wanted to meet you. If you're very busy, I can come to Mumbai," he said.

"No, Uncle, you have recently been discharged from the hospital. You tell me when and where. Anyhow, I am coming to Lucknow next week. But if it's urgent, I can come today as well. Whatever you prefer," I added.

"No beta, it's okay, next week then," he affirmed before disconnecting the call.

After that, I got ready and went to the office. Adarsh had to visit a restaurant, so he went before me. Aadarsh, though a bit childish, was remarkably serious about his work. I wouldn't have been able to manage without his support. Joining the business at the age of twenty-five, he handled it with such finesse that it left me amazed. I couldn't be prouder of my brother.

A week swiftly passed with work, and the time had arrived for me to go to Lucknow. I wasn't going alone; Aadarsh accompanied me.

Our flight was in the afternoon, and by the time I landed in Lucknow, it was already evening. I decided to meet Ajay Uncle, Nidhi's father, first, suggesting Aadarsh to head home.

After Aadarsh left, I directed the driver to take me to the restaurant Uncle had chosen. During this time, I attended some business calls.

Being the first one to arrive, I sat down and started reading a magazine, although my mind was preoccupied with thoughts about Uncle. What did he want to discuss? Was he having second thoughts about the marriage?

My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed Uncle standing in front of me. He was tall, with gray hair that showed no sign of being dyed. He wore a white shirt, black pants, a wristwatch, and glasses with a golden frame.

I immediately stood up, greeting him and touching his feet as a sign of respect.

"Good evening, Uncle. How is your health now? My mother told me you were discharged last week," I inquired.

"I am absolutely fine. How is your business going?" he asked.

"Uncle, it's going well. Currently, we are planning to open a resort in Lonavala, so it's getting a little hectic these days, but otherwise, everything is fine."

"Before our conversation goes further, let's order something to eat. You order, Vaibhav," he suggested.

"Okay, Uncle," I responded, signaling the waiter.

"An espresso and a sandwich for me. What would you like, Uncle?" I asked.

"Soup," he replied.

"And soup for Uncle. Don't add any chili, especially red ones."

He looked at me with an amazed expression and questioned me with a slight smile, "You know how to cook?"

Smiling back, I nodded and continued, "Uncle, a few years back, when I was living alone due to my studies, I learned to cook."

Though it was not a matter of personal preference but a necessity. Constantly consuming outside food led to stomach issues, leaving me with no choice but to learn cooking. However, I didn't hesitate to flaunt my culinary skills.

After that, we both fell silent. No business meetings or presentations had ever made me feel this level of nervousness, but this important and not-so-casual talk was different.

Clearing his throat, he took off his glasses and placed them on the table before starting, "It's nice that you know cooking. Even my Nidhi loves cooking. She cooks the best food."

With a pause and a hint of tears in his eyes, he continued, "Vaibhav, you know I have two daughters. Nidhi is my elder daughter, and with her smile, my worries fade away. She is very important to me, and I love her a lot. She is my diamond, not because she is adopted, but because she is very sensitive. I have seen her thinking about others before herself. Sometimes, I have seen her suffering in her own house, but I was helpless. She never told me anything like that, but I knew. Now, because you are going to be a part of our family, you must know about her mother's behavior towards her; it has never been nice. I tried to talk to her mother, but nothing changed. All these years, I have been helpless, but at least I was with her to take care of her. After getting her married, I won't be able to look after her. She won't be with me. So, before deciding everything, I wanted to talk to you personally."

"Pardon me, Uncle. You don't have to worry about Nidhi after getting her married to me. I won't hurt her and never let her cry. I can promise that. I may not take care of your daughter, but I will definitely take care of my wife. I swear to take care of her all my life. You won't get any complaints," I said, interrupting him.

He smiled lightly, and then silence enveloped us.

The restaurant staff arrived with the food. I wasn't very hungry, so I only ordered a sandwich for myself. I snapped out of my thoughts when hot espresso spilled on my hand and wrist, causing me to wince in pain.

"Aaaauchhhhsssssssss."

Uncle stood up and approached me, and the waiter, responsible for the accident, was visibly distressed, fearing I might complain and he would lose his job.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sir," he was constantly blabbering.

I stood up from the chair, placing my hand on the waiter's shoulder, and reassured him, "It's okay," I said, smiling.

The restaurant manager rushed towards us. Before he could say anything to the waiter, I admitted, "It was my mistake. Just get a first aid box."

"Uncle, I'll be right back."

I went to the restroom to clean the coffee off my hand. Afterward, I returned and sat back down, and the waiter applied some medicine from the first aid box. Since the coffee had fallen on my right hand, I couldn't do it myself. It wasn't a serious burn, just a slight redness.

I smiled at the waiter while sitting, and we both had our dinner silently. While having dinner, I kept looking at Uncle, and he was smiling for some reason.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Uncle spoke.

"Sulekha ji said she wanted you both to get married as soon as possible. Is there any special reason?"

"Actually, Uncle, she must have told you we are planning to open a resort in Lonavala. So, before I get busier, she wants me to get married. For the past three years, she has been urging me to get married, but business didn't let me think about it. Now that I've agreed, she wants me to tie the knot before I change my mind again," I explained, leaving a short and tensed chuckle.

"Didn't you want to get married?"

"No, Uncle, I did, but I didn't want to welcome my partner amid all this chaos and uncertainty. I was waiting for the right time. A few years back, we faced a significant loss due to fraud in our company," I responded in a serious tone.

"Is everything fine now?" he questioned.

"Yes, Uncle, that's why we are planning to open a resort," I replied.

He didn't say anything after that and we together walked out of the restaurant.

I dropped him to his car while sitting inside he asked " Will you be able to drive?"

"Uncle I have a driver with me. You need not worry, "I reassured him.

I came to my car sat inside and went and asked the driver to take me home.

This conversation proved to be more uncomfortable and nervous than I had anticipated. We fell into frequent silences, exchanging only weak smiles.

When I reached home. I saw Ma, Adarsh and Roshni having dinner.

All three of them were giggling and laughing, with Roshni and Aadarsh cracking jokes, and my mother joining in their laughter.

After my father's death, we faced numerous challenges, not just financially, but in many other aspects. Witnessing them now enjoying life brought me happiness.

Having experienced their struggles, I matured well beyond my years, taking on the responsibility to shield my mother and siblings from the world's malevolence.

None of our relatives offered support during our hardships. It was then that I became acquainted with the harsh realities of people and the hollowness within their hearts.

This realization led me to understand that people exhibit goodness during our good times, and they reveal their darker side when we face adversity.

In essence, there are no inherently good or bad people; it's the circumstances that define their character.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

689K 42.7K 46
"Kabir Malhotra, a 25-year-old, young, handsome, gym freak, always a hot topic among girls. He's known to be rude and doesn't care about anyone excep...
162K 7.5K 47
Abhiram and Avantika Gandhi were a happily married couple. Yes, it had been an arranged marriage, but they had fallen for each other over the time...
7.4K 699 11
Set in the 1980s, this is a story of Pratham and Nitya, who begin their journey of love and discovery after getting tied into an arranged marriage wi...