The Eminence in Shadow: The D...

By Lighningtzzz

Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends... More

Chapter 1: When It All Started
Chapter 2: Pursuit of Shadows
Chapter 3: Clash of Blades and Revelation
Chapter 4: Kirito's Intervention
Chapter 5: Yukime's Resilience
Chapter 6: Mastering Magic and Unlocking Potential
Chapter 7: Whispers in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Undercover Charades
Chapter 9: An Interrupted Date
Chapter 10: Moonlit Pursuit
Chapter 11: Clash of Fates in the Underground Abyss
Chapter 12: Shadows Converge
Chapter 13: Shenanigans Around
Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit
Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy
Chapter 17: The Mundane Masquerade
Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade
Chapter 19: Blades of Defiance
Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel
Chapter 21: Theatrical Intrigues and Daring Rescues
Chapter 22: Cleansing the Shadows
Chapter 23: The Powerful Convergence
Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets
Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments
Chapter 26: Veiled Prophecies
Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.
Chapter 28: Secrets and Strife
Chapter 29: Kirito's Unexpected Duel
Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger
Chapter 31: The Academy's Incident
Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve
Chapter 33: Kirito, Shadow And The Mysterious Clock Tower
Chapter 34: Decisions and Departures
Chapter 35: A Day With A Princess
Chapter 36: Ticking Time of Misfortunes
Chapter 37: The Knight and the Enigmatic Spirit
Chapter 38: Kurumi Versus Kirito
Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow
Chapter 40: Kirito, Aurora and Cid's Odyssey
Chapter 41: Chains of Aurora's Past
Chapter 42: Confrontation In The Holy Ground

Chapter 14: Market Mayhem

1.4K 54 34
By Lighningtzzz

Yukime strolled through Midgar's bustling shopping district, her large fox ears perked up with curiosity. The townsfolk smiled as she passed, their greetings met with a friendly nod. She couldn't resist peeking at the various goods on display, her tails swaying with excitement.

As Yukime meandered through Midgar's lively shopping district, a cheerful merchant spotted her unique presence. Excitement gleamed in the merchant's eyes as he hurriedly approached, "Yukime! It's always a pleasure to see you! Your charming aura brightens up the whole marketplace."

Yukime beamed in response, her fox ears twitching with delight. The merchant continued, "You won't believe it – the demand for your exquisite products has been soaring lately. Customers can't get enough of what you offer. Your presence here is like a blessing to our sales!"

Yukime smiled gracefully and replied, "As expected, indeed."

The merchant, overcome with enthusiasm, struggled to contain their excitement as they exclaimed, "Yukime, your potions, medicines, and remedies are making quite the buzz! The demand is insatiable. We need more of your extraordinary products to satisfy our eager customers. Can we place a larger order, perhaps?"

Yukime watched with a sly smirk as a customer eagerly selected her potions from the colourful display. The customer, entranced by the allure of her products, handed over a handful of money with a smile.

When the merchant approached with a hopeful gleam in their eyes, Yukime gracefully shook her head, her smirk deepening. "I appreciate the demand, but I'm afraid I must decline."

The merchant's excitement waned, replaced by surprise. "But Yukime, our customers are clamouring for more of your extraordinary goods! We made a deal you know!"

Yukime fixed a serious gaze upon the merchant, her eyes narrowing slightly. "We did make a deal, but it seems one party has been making some rather questionable decisions."

The merchant feigned innocence, "I'm not sure what you mean, Yukime. Our partnership has been mutually beneficial, hasn't it?"

Yukime raised an eyebrow, her tone unwavering. "Beneficial, perhaps, but not exactly as we agreed. I've learned that you've been selling my products at a higher price than we discussed."

The merchant stammered, attempting to maintain composure, "Well, you see, it's just good business strategy. The demand is high, and people are willing to pay more for quality!"

Yukime's expression remained stern as she swiftly snatched the bag of gold from the merchant's hands. "A higher price may be tolerable, but what about our agreed-upon share? I was supposed to receive 40% of the monthly income, yet my earnings have remained stagnant."

The merchant, beads of sweat forming on their forehead, hurriedly attempted to justify their actions. "Yukime, I understand your concern, but you see, the market is ever-changing. I had to adjust the prices to keep up with the demand, and... well, it's just business strategy, you know?"

Before the merchant could continue, Yukime raised her hand, cutting through the excuses. "Enough. Instead of our initial 40%, I believe a fair share would be 70% of the profits."

The merchant's eyes widened in shock, "Seventy percent? That's quite steep, Yukime! It would significantly impact my profits."

Yukime leaned in, her eyes piercing. "Consider this: without my extraordinary products, your business would suffer a considerable blow. The demand is not just for any goods; it's for mine. A fair partnership is in both our interests."

The merchant, still reeling from the unexpected proposition, stammered, "But Yukime, that's... that's too much. I can't agree to such a high percentage."

Yukime's smirk returned, her confidence unwavering. "Very well, if you can't agree to the new terms, I'll have to reconsider our partnership altogether. I'm sure other merchants would be thrilled to showcase my high-quality products, and they might be willing to meet my terms."

The merchant, now faced with the potential loss of their star attraction, hesitated. Yukime seized the moment, stating firmly, "I'll also be raising the prices of my products to reflect their true value. It's only fair, considering the demand and the quality I provide."

The merchant, realizing the gravity of the situation, reluctantly nodded. "Fine, Yukime. Seventy percent of it is. But the increased prices might affect our sales."

Yukime, with a satisfied smile, replied, "Trust me, the allure of my products will keep customers coming, and the increased revenue will benefit us both. A wise business decision, wouldn't you agree?"

Later on...
Yukime carefully selected fresh vegetables and fruits at the bustling market, her sharp eyes scrutinizing each item. As she added items to her basket, she whispered to herself, "Just a little more money, and I'll be able to start my own business."

The thought of supporting Kirito in his goal lingered in her mind, but she acknowledged a selfish motive. Her eyes narrowed with determination as she recalled the injustices inflicted upon her by Gettan. The path of following Kirito wasn't just about supporting him; it was a means to fulfil her own goal of revenge.

Yukime's sharp eyes surveyed the market, but her thoughts wandered to Kirito. She mused, "I wonder what Kirito-kun is up to right now. Perhaps he's immersed in intense training or buried in his studies."

Just as she contemplated, a spectacle caught her attention – Kirito leaping from one roof to another, gracefully navigating the skyline. To her surprise, he was accompanied by the enthusiastic Delta, who eagerly followed his every move.

Yukime's eyes widened in disbelief, her curiosity reaching new heights. "Well, that's unexpected. Kirito-kun, what on earth are you doing?" she muttered to herself.

Delta, with her wolf-like features, bounded after Kirito, her tail wagging excitedly. "Hey, Coal Coal guy! Wait up! Let's play!"

Kirito, attempting to maintain focus on his rooftop navigation, sighed and replied, "Delta, my name's Kirito, not coal coal guy. And I'm kinda busy right now."

Delta tilted her head, eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "But your hair and eyes are all coal-coloured! It fits perfectly, Coal Coal guy!"

Kirito rolled his eyes, "Delta, that's not how names work. And it's not even coal-coloured; it's just black."

Delta, undeterred, grinned and chirped, "Coal Coal guy! It suits you!"

"Delta, seriously, I don't want to play right now. Can you please stop?" Kirito insisted, his tone firm.

However, Delta, completely absorbed in her playful mood, paid little attention to Kirito's request. Instead, she matched his pace, and leaped to grab him in a tight embrace. Quick on his feet, Kirito managed to evade her attempt, deftly slipping out of her grasp.

Delta, undeterred by Kirito's evasive maneuvers, smirked mischievously. In a bold move, she punched the roof with surprising strength, causing the building to shake and tremble. Yukime, still immersed in her market activities, glanced up in astonishment as the structure began to crumble.

Kirito, now faced with the unexpected chaos, sprinted away from the collapsing building, his agile movements keeping him ahead of the falling debris.

Kirito, amid the chaos caused by Delta's rooftop shenanigans, pointed dramatically in a random direction and exclaimed, "Hey, isn't that Zeta over there?"

Delta, her attention immediately diverted, looked with wide eyes in the direction Kirito pointed. "Zeta? Really?" Her ears perked up with excitement as she eagerly scanned the area.

But just as Delta got into the spirit of the hunt for Zeta, she realized Kirito had vanished in the chaos. "Hey, that's not fair!" Delta pouted, her disappointment echoing through the crumbling rooftops. "You tricked Delta, Coal Coal guy! Not cool!"

Kirito, breathing heavily, quickly sought refuge inside a nearby house. He pressed his back against the wall, attempting to calm his breath and hoping that Delta had lost interest in her pursuit. As he took a moment to compose himself, he muttered, "I need to be more careful. Delta's enthusiasm is... intense."

Once assured that the immediate danger had passed, Kirito sighed and mumbled to himself, "Now, what's the deal with Shadow Garden? Sending their entire unit after me just because they suspect I'm the Dark Swordsman. It's getting out of hand."

Leaning against a sturdy table, Kirito continued, "I get it; they're diligent, but this is excessive. I can't even have a moment of peace. Every move I make, they're on my tail."

Running a hand through his hair, Kirito lamented, "Sleep has become a luxury these days. Constantly on the run, evading their pursuit, it's taking a toll. I need to find a way to deal with Shadow Garden without turning the entire city into a battleground."

A man, witnessing Kirito's hurried entrance, glared at him and exclaimed, "Who the hell are you, barging into my house like this?"

Kirito, trying to defuse the tension, stammered, "Uh, I'm just a peaceful visitor passing through! No need to get upset."

Before the man could respond, Delta, bursting through the door with unbridled enthusiasm, declared, "Delta found him! Coal Coal guy, there you are!"

Kirito resigned to the situation, pointed at Delta and tried to chuckle, "Well, this is my not-so-peaceful friend, Delta."

The man, now utterly baffled by the sudden turn of events, watched as Kirito and Delta made a hasty exit, leaving the disrupted household behind. As they disappeared into the chaos of the streets, the man scratched his head and muttered, "What just happened? Peaceful visitors, not-so-peaceful friends, and a chaotic duo. Midgar is getting weirder every day."

Kirito, catching his breath, turned to Delta and asked, "How did you find me so fast?"

Delta smirked mischievously, "Well, Coal Coal guy, you've got that sly fox's smell all over you. It's hard to miss!"

Just as Delta revelled in her triumph, not far away, Yukime sneezed abruptly, causing her to mutter, "Someone must be mentioning me." She was in the midst of selecting meat at the market.

Kirito, finally catching a moment of respite, turned to Delta with a determined gaze. "Enough running," he declared, "If you want to play, let's do it right here."

Delta's eyes lit up with excitement as she eagerly prepared for the impending showdown. Smirking, she took a playful stance, her tail swaying with anticipation. The bustling market around them became the unexpected arena for their impromptu confrontation.

Delta's punches were a blur of motion, striking with surprising speed and force. Kirito, caught off guard, hastily raised his arms to block the rapid onslaught. Despite his efforts, a few punches landed, prompting him to take a step back.

Breathing heavily, Kirito assessed the situation and admitted, "You're stronger than I expected Delta. It seems there's no point in continuing."

Delta, her eyes gleaming with excitement, let out a dissatisfied sigh. "No fair, Coal Coal guy! If you keep holding back, it's no fun at all. Let's go all out and have a real match!"

Kirito, genuinely surprised, exclaimed, " How did you know I was holding back?"

Delta, grinning confidently, replied, "Easy, Coal Coal guy. Delta's nose never lies. Delta could smell your strength hidden behind that act."

Kirito, realizing he underestimated Delta's senses, attempted to apologize, "I didn't mean to offend or hold back intentionally. Let me make it up to you."

Before he could finish, Delta's expression turned deadly serious. "If you were one of my kin and pulled that stunt, you'd be dead by now for disrespecting Delta ."

Kirito, taken aback, stammered, "I didn't mean any disrespect. I—"

In an instant, Delta interrupted him, delivering a swift kick that sent Kirito flying. As he crashed into a pile of crates, Delta declared with a fierce gaze, "That one was real. Don't mess with Delta."

Kirito, struggling to rise from the crates, muttered to himself, "Proving I'm not the Dark Swordsman is getting more difficult each day. They won't believe it unless I show them I'm not as strong."

As Kirito hastily rushed toward Delta, determined to prove his point, an unexpected obstacle caught him off guard. He tripped over a loose piece of debris and tumbled to the ground, his momentum abruptly halted.

Delta burst into laughter, her amusement echoing through the chaotic market. "Nice try, Coal Coal guy! Looks like you need more practice."

Seizing the opportune moment, Kirito, with a wry smile, materialized right behind Delta. "Who let their guard down now?" he remarked, catching her off balance.

Kirito, recovering from his fall, prepared to launch a counterattack against Delta. However, Delta, tapping into her primal instincts, swiftly evaded his move and countered with a series of precise strikes. Kirito, now in a compromised state, realized the gravity of the situation.

As Delta's attacks intensified, Kirito, battered and bruised, found solace in the fact that he had successfully demonstrated his vulnerability, proving he wasn't the formidable Dark Swordsman. Yet, his relief was short-lived as he witnessed Delta's primal instincts taking over, her movements becoming more feral.

Delta, now driven by instinct rather than playful enthusiasm, lunged at Kirito with a ferocity that caught him off guard.

Delta, poised for another attack on Kirito, suddenly halted as a mocking voice cut through the chaos. "Well, well, if it isn't the Dumb Wolf."

Both Delta and Kirito turned their attention to the source of the voice, and there stood Yukime, a sly smirk playing on her lips. She coolly remarked, "Did you miss me?"

Delta, caught off guard by Yukime's unexpected arrival, growled in response, "Sly Fox! What are you doing here?"

Yukime, observing the scene with a disapproving gaze, remarked, "Delta, always as dishonourable as ever. Attacking someone who's already wounded—quite the noble warrior, aren't you?"

Delta, angered by Yukime's words, snarled, "Watch your words, Sly Fox. Delta will show you who's the real warrior here!"

Yukime, with a taunting smirk, provoked Delta further, "Come then, prove your strength against me. Let's see if you're more than just a wild pup."

Delta, fueled by her primal instincts, lunged at Yukime with a fierce growl, ready to unleash her wild side. However, Yukime, had a trick up her sleeve.

As Delta closed in for the attack, Yukime smoothly pulled out a comically large piece of meat from her basket and expertly shoved it into Delta's gaping mouth. The sudden intrusion left Delta bewildered, her eyes widening in surprise.

Caught off guard by the unexpected snack, Delta's ferocious demeanour instantly melted away. She stood there, cheeks puffed with a massive piece of meat, her growls replaced by delighted munching sounds.

Yukime, with a victorious grin, remarked, "Well, that's one way to tame a wild pup. Delicious, isn't it?"

Delta, too engrossed in savouring the unexpected treat, could only nod enthusiastically, her earlier aggression completely forgotten. Between chews, she managed to mumble, "This is... so good. Sly Fox, where did you get this?"

Kirito, recovering from the previous scuffle, observed the scene with a mix of amusement and relief. He said, "I guess I should always carry a giant piece of meat for emergencies."

Yukime turned her attention to Kirito and advised, "Kirito-kun, it seems you've stumbled into quite the lively company nowadays. Be cautious; these girls may be playful, but their instincts can be unpredictable."

Kirito, watching Delta devour the oversized piece of meat, chuckled and remarked, "I think I'll take your advice, Yukime."

As Delta continued her enthusiastic feast, Kirito sighed and continued, "No matter what I do, they just can't seem to be convinced that I'm not the Dark Swordsman. It's like trying to catch the wind."

Delta, still munching on the giant piece of meat, spoke with determination, "Coal Coal guy can't be the Dark Swordsman. Delta can tell. He's strong, but not Dark Swordsman strong. No way!" She punctuated her statement with an emphatic nod, bits of meat flying in the process.

Kirito let out a sigh of relief, placing a hand over his heart. "Finally, someone who understands! You should spread the word, Delta. Tell everyone about my not-so-dark, definitely not-a-swordsman strength."

Delta, with a mouth still stuffed with meat, waddled over to Kirito and forcefully pushed the oversized piece into his face. She mumbled through a mouthful, "Eat, Coal Coal Guy! Make your muscles big and strong like Delta!"

Kirito, eyeing the meat Delta offered, chuckled and said, "I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a fan of raw meat."

Delta, with an offended look, insisted, "What's wrong with raw? It's the best way to enjoy it!"

Kirito, still hesitant, replied, "I prefer my food cooked."

Delta, rolling her eyes, grumbled, "Coal Coal guy is too picky. Delta hates picky people."

Just as the banter continued, both Kirito and Delta sensed a sudden shift in the atmosphere. Yukime, her sly smirk replaced by an intense glare, spoke up, "Hey, Dumb Wolf, I believe you're getting a bit too close for comfort with Kirito-kun."

Delta, sensing Yukime's change in demeanour, turned to her with a cold expression. "Delta does as she wishes. You can't tell Delta what to do," she declared, her tone defiant.

Yukime, unfazed by Delta's response, chuckled. "Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Let me make it unmistakable," she said, her eyes narrowing with a serious intent. "Back off."

Delta growled lowly, her hackles raised, "Sly Fox, you're playing a dangerous game. Delta won't back down."

Yukime, maintaining her cold composure, responded with a chilling tone, "Oh, Dumb Wolf, you misunderstand. I'm not playing a game; I'm setting the rules. And in this little encounter, you're at a disadvantage."

As Yukime spoke, her fans materialized around her in an elegant display, catching the ambient light and casting an ethereal glow.

Delta, with a defiant stance, declared, "Coal Coal guy is Delta's sparring buddy. Sly Fox can't tell Delta what to do, especially with him."

Yukime, her cold gaze fixed on Delta, retorted with a calculated tone, "Sparring buddy, you say? Kirito-kun doesn't strike me as someone who needs a wild pup for practice. If anything, he needs someone who can match his skill."

Just as the tension reached its peak, Yukime and Delta lunged at each other with a ferocity that promised chaos. The market momentarily froze, anticipating the collision of the girls.

In the last second, Kirito, sensing the impending disaster, swiftly intervened. With impeccable timing, he delivered a simultaneous bonk on both their heads, accompanied by a stern "Enough!"

The impact sent Yukime and Delta stumbling backwards, their heads spinning from the unexpected intervention. Stars seemed to orbit around them as they groaned in unison, their ferocity instantly replaced by bewildered expressions.

Kirito, holding his hand in a classic 'stop' gesture, exclaimed, "Seriously, you two? Fighting in the middle of a market? Let's save the battles for a more appropriate time and place."

Yukime and Delta, still recovering from the synchronized bonk, exchanged dazed glances before collapsing onto the ground with simultaneous "ow"s and "ouch"es.

Yukime, rubbing her head with a pained expression, shot a playful glare at Kirito. "You could have just asked us to stop, you know."

Delta, still trying to make sense of the stars circling her head, chimed in, "Yeah, Coal Coal guy, that was unnecessary."

Kirito, suppressing a grin, couldn't help but chuckle at the absurdity of the situation. "My apologies for it, but you two were about to turn this market into a battlefield. We can't have that, can we?"

Yukime and Delta, still rubbing their heads and pouting, suddenly shifted into a childlike demeanour. Their expressions transformed from fierce warriors to playful innocence, and they exchanged mischievous glances.

Yukime, with a playful grin, stuck out her lower lip and mumbled, "Kirito-kun, that was mean!"

Delta, adopting an exaggerated frown, added, "Yeah, Coal Coal guy, you hurt our heads!"

Kirito, taken aback by their sudden shift in behaviour, couldn't help but burst into laughter. The absurdity of the situation struck him, and he chuckled, "You two really know how to switch from warriors to adorable kids in an instant."

Kirito, despite being aware of the challenging journey that lay ahead to return to his own world, couldn't deny the growing connections he was building in this unfamiliar place. Each interaction, every battle, and the playful encounters were weaving a tapestry of experiences that he hadn't anticipated.

As he faced the trials that lay ahead, a part of Kirito yearned to savour the time spent in this intriguing world. The camaraderie forged amid chaotic rooftop chases, playful sparring sessions, and unexpected market skirmishes became an unexpected source of warmth in his heart.

The people of this world, with their quirks and unique qualities, had become more than mere companions on his quest. They were individuals with their own stories, dreams, and aspirations, and Kirito found himself drawn to their vibrant lives.

The journey back to his own world, once viewed solely as a mission, now seemed like a broader odyssey.

In the next chapter, the significant time skip will occur.

Canine Affection:
Yukime's way of claiming territory includes leaving her scent on Kirito's stuff – it's her version of "you're mine." No wonder Delta thinks Kirito smells like Yukime.

Businesswoman:
Yukime, breaking Midgar's "no kids in business" rule like a pro, struck deals with merchants, raking in gold with her extraordinary products. She's not just a fox; she's a cunning businesswoman.

Bossy Attitude:
Delta, with her wolfish charm, self-proclaimed Kirito as her underling and sparring buddy, dishing out orders with a bossy flair that Kirito cautiously embraced, treating her more like an energetic sidekick than a leader.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 3K 45
In the year 2022, the VRMMO game "Sword Art Online" trapped 10,000 players in a death game. This is the story of a rapier wielding girl joining an ar...
274K 7.6K 52
Sora Takahashi died saving his classmate from Truck-kun. Instead of moving on to the afterlife, he was given a choice by the Goddess of Worlds. He co...
183K 7.6K 82
𝗥𝗲-𝗶𝗻-𝗰𝗮𝗿-𝗻𝗮-𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 ୮ A person or animal in whom a particular soul is believed to have been reborn ∞︎︎- "ԃιԃ уσυ кησω тнαт вєℓ...
74.9K 2.8K 23
"What exactly are you?" "I'm a demon, wait no... That will be an understatement... I'm the Devil of the Flame Underworld." ---------- "Love, huh? I'v...