Touchpoint Bible Study

Av NicholasMcKinnon

A teaching guide of biblical principles as discussed at Touchpoint church in Sarasota Florida. Mer

Topics
Introduction to the Bible
Old Testament
New Testament
Jesus
Grace versus Works
Luke-Acts-Romans System
The Great Commission
Luke-warm Christians
Your personal testimony
Adam and Eve
Noah

The Origins of Christianity

6 0 0
Av NicholasMcKinnon

Christianity is an Abrahamic religion organized in the bible among predominately Jewish authors in the Old Testament (representing the law of Moses, Tabernacle, and 10 commandments) and the New Testament (faith through grace of the personal sacrifice of Jesus Christ). Jesus preached his gospel to a mainly Jewish audience throughout his ministry.  After his resurrection, he sent out his disciples to all the nations which eventually led to 3000 Jewish converts that practiced a form of Judaism known as 'the way.' [1]

Heaven Awaits [1]

 "And Jesus came and said to them (11 disciples in Galilee) 'All Authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'" (Matt. 28:18-20)

"Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified. Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles 'Brothers, what shall we do? ' and Peter said to them, 'Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.' And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them saying, 'Save yourselves from this crooked generation.' So those who received his word were baptized and there were added that day about three thousand souls." (Acts. 2:36-41) 

The early Christian church was formally recognized by scholars as early as 40 A.D. with the church of the family of the Roman centurion Cornelius in Ceasarea being established in Acts Chapter 10. 

At Cornelius house [2]

"And they said, Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you (Peter) to come to his house and to hear what you have to say." (Acts. 10:22)

"And on the following day they entered Ceasarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. When Peter entered Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him." (Acts. 10:24-25)

"And as he talked with him, he went in and found many persons gathered. (both Jews and Gentiles)" (Acts. 10:27)

" And he (Jesus, spoken by Peter) commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."      (Acts. 10:42-43)

"While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who hear the word. And the believers from amont the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God." (Acts 10: 44-45)

Christianity currently has 2.38 billion members worldwide with an estimated percentage of people who identify Christian as 31.0%. Christianity spread first with the teaching of Jesus Christ, followed by the Apostles teaching and the initiation of more organized churches. Apostle Paul was instrumental in starting churches in countries such as Turkey, Greece, and Macedonia. He wrote 15 epistles to these early churches that constitute the majority of the New Testament. 

Churches that Paul found [5]

The rise of Christianity was met with significant persecution. This persecution started in Rome and was a result of Christians not worshipping Roman emperors or engaging in pagan rituals. This led to martyrdom as many Christians were killed by the Romans; however, it also strengthened the early church and spread the gospel as other Christian people grew as a result of witnessing such strength and grace for the faith. 

The arrival of European explorers in the Americas brought Christianity to the region. Spanish expeditions led by Christopher Columbus, Juan Ponce de León, and Hernando de Soto introduced Catholicism to areas of the New World such as the Caribbean islands and Florida. Catholic missionaries, including Franciscans and Jesuits established missions and schools to teach Christianity and explore the surrounding areas. [4]

English settlers played a vital role in spreading Christianity. Seeking religious freedom from European persecution, groups such as the Puritans settled in New England. The Puritans focused on developing religious communities and political ideology that revolved around the developed Christian moral code as they interpreted it. This created an early Christian presence in the New World and would then pass down to the early Colonies and remain in the Northeast United States to this very day.  

Further growth of Christianity in the United States was tied to Catholicism as immigrants entered into the US and brought Catholic values and rituals with them. This was particularly prominent with Italian and Irish immigrants in the Northeast. The Catholic church helped with spiritual growth in European immigrants while also assimilating into the American ideals of the 19th and early 20th century. 

The 20th century then witnessed the growth of large Protestant denominations across the length of the United States as Methodists, Presbyterian, Baptists, Pentacostal, and Episcopalian churches were established, and their memberships grew. Throughout late 20th century, revivals such as the Jesus Revolution movements of the 1970s started in California that became popular and brought many thousands of individuals to Christianity. Large evangelist movements continued to grow with the use of technology such as radio and television programs that helped spread the teaching of Jesus and helped to develop large mega churches across the United States. 

List of Religious Populations [3]

A matter of faith [3]

Map of the lands of Israel as spoken in the Book of Numbers in the Old Testament

The Jews in Israel [5]

"The Lord said to Moses, 'Give the Israelites these instructions. When you enter Canaan, the land that will be given to you as your inheritance has these borders: 'The southern side includes part of the Desert of Zin along the border of Edom. In the east the southern border starts from the end of the Dead Sea and turns south of the Akrabbim Pass. It then goes past Zin and ends at Kadesh Barnea. From there it goes to Hazar Addar and on to Azmon. From Azmon it turns toward the River of Egypt so that the border ends at the Mediterranean Sea. 'The western border is the coastline of the Mediterranean Sea. The northern border extends from the Mediterranean Sea to Mount Hor, and from Mount Hor to the border of Hamath so that it ends at Zedad. From there the border goes to Ziphron and ends at Hazar Enan. The eastern border extends from Hazar Enan to Shepham. From Shepham the border goes down to Riblah, east of Ain, and continues along the eastern slope of the Sea of Galilee. Then the border goes along the Jordan River so that it ends at the Dead Sea. This will be your land and the borders around it.'" (Num. 34:2-12)

"Moses commanded the Israelites, 'This is the land you will divide by drawing lots. The Lord has commanded that this land will be given to the nine-and-a-half tribes. The households from the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and half of the tribe of Manasseh have already received their land. Those two-and-a-half tribes received land east of the Jordan River across from Jericho."                     (Num. 34:13-15)

This is the map of the movements and miracles of Jesus Christ. The miracles and supernatural wonders that were delivered by Jesus is what ultimately demonstrated the power of God in his ministry. Jesus's death, burial, and resurrection would develop a grace-based salvation which replaced the works-based salvation of every other Abrahamic religion. 

The map of Jesus ministry [5]

Map of the miracles of Jesus [6]

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

4 0 151
A book containing all of the deuterocanonical books and chapters of the Catholic Church.
654 143 71
Bible study 24/5!
24.3K 321 68
This Book contains the entire King James Version Bible - verse-Bible Gateway.com -And watt pad for having such a big word capacity and for allowing...
377 3 1
After the Resurrection, Christ taught His disciples Kingdom principles for 40 days. This teaching is for us today! We can tap into the Supernatural...