𝓢𝓮𝓮 𝓜𝓮

By jackssfox

What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place alm... More

Playlist
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 8

26.7K 556 3.6K
By jackssfox

ENMALINE LEILA WARNER

"I'm confused," Jett said, biting on her sandwich, "you're hurting my brain."

"Ugh," I threw my head back with a groan and turned on the bench, so I was facing her fully, "focus with me for one second."

"I am focused," she shrugged before chewing another bite, "all you did was giggle and stutter the entire time. Take a breath and tell me what happened. In small words. I can't handle this after a long school day."

The bell rang about 5 minutes ago, and Jett and I sat on a bench waiting for her dad to pick us up. Kai didn't come out of his class yet, though, so I decided to take the chance to fill Jett in on what happened in the lake and after. Yesterday, after I took the medicine, I really don't remember what happened, but I do remember waking up at night with a bag full of medicine next to me. Each box had a sticky note with when to take them and what to take them for. All written in Kai's handwriting.

"Okay," I breathed, "so when I arrived to the lake party, he was just being his normal Kai Kishimoto self, right? But then I saw something that I thought I was hallucinating."

"What?" Her eyes sparkled with curiosity. Jett could hate the idea of love and dating, but she loved talking about other people's love life.

"Kai has a tattoo."

"Kai?" She raised an eyebrow, "Kai, Kai? Like our Kai? The nerd who loves solving puzzles and being a loner in his room?"

"Don't call him that!" I frowned, "and, yes. But that wasn't the problem, the problem was what the tattoo was."

"What was it?"

"Remember what I used to say when I was young? Written in the stars?"

"Uh huh," she nodded, taking the last bite of the sandwich, "when did you even come up with that? It was so out of the blue."

"The first time I said it was the day Kai got his powers."

"Oh," she said after a moment and nodded, "you mean the day he absolutely lied to me and officially broke my trust in men."

"Huh?"

"Rumor has it, Mr. Bunix is now somewhere in this world, lost in the darkness, unable to cry or plead for help."

"...Because he's a teddy bear?" I lowered my eyebrows, watching her slowly shake her head, her eyes turning... angry?

"He lied. He said he would get it for me, and he didn't. Traitor, liar, fiend."

"Come on, he bought you a new one."

"It's not the same. It wasn't Mr. Bunix," she shrugged and crossed her arms, "and why are you defending him? I thought we were mad at him?"

"We're not mad at him," I jerked my head back before relaxing, "I'm just trying to figure out how he feels."

"Mhm, okay. Go on."

"He said he got it because he just liked the phrase or whatever. I decided to believe him but then we got into the lake again and something else happened," I took a breath then told her about everything. The lake. The motel. The next day when we woke up. Him taking care of me when I was sick yesterday. I'm still a little sick, but the medicine really seemed to kick it off, "so, what do you think?"

"I think this guy is full of shit," she said looking over my shoulder then to me, probably seeing the confusion on my face, "look behind you."

I whipped my head around seeing Kai getting out of his building, Rio, Maven, and Amelia walking behind him, clara walking next to him. I inhaled a breath seeing her flash him a smile while he looked at the ground with a smirk. Why is it when I spot them they're always laughing together? Was she that funny? What is going on with them? When I asked him about her, he didn't seem to have her on his mind, but seeing them now, it was like she was the only one he actually likes talking to. Why is he always with her?

Amelia looked my way and a grin broke out, waving at me. I waved back with a smile, watching her say something to Rio and Maven before walking towards me and Jett, "hey!"

"Hi," I said as she sat next to me on the bench, "how are you?"

"Exhausted, but great. How are you?"

"I'm fine," I glanced to where Kai and Clara were still standing and looked at Jett, who was staring at Amelia with a blank expression, "oh, Jett this is Amelia, the friend I told you about. Amelia this is Jett."

"Hey," Amelia smiled and Jett returned it with a wave of her hand.

"So you're friends with Kai?" Jett asked.

"Not really," Amelia made a face, snapping Kai a look and looked back at us, "I don't think Kai would call me, or any of us, that at least."

"He seems close with Clara," I let out in a voice I didn't even recognize as my own, "what were they talking about?"

"Ugh, girl, I don't know," Amelia rolled her eyes, "Clara could find anything to talk about when it comes to him."

"Want me to stab her?" Jett said and my eyes widened, Amelia jerking her head to her.

"Oh my god," Amelia chuckled, "you're one hell of a friend."

"Of course," Jett smiled, looking towards Kai's direction before looking back at Amelia, "by the way, who's that next to Kai? He keeps looking at you."

"Hmm?" Amelia said and I also looked to where Jett meant, seeing Rio quickly look to his right, literally staring at the wall that suddenly seemed interesting to him. I looked at Amelia and saw a faint blush on her brown skin as she looked down, tucking a hair behind her ear, "I don't think he was looking at me."

"I think he was," I nudged her shoulder with a smile and heard Jett groan.

"Everyone's love lives are eventful, it's disgusting," she leaned against the wall behind us, "why did I even bring it up?"

"Jett," I started, still eyeing Kai who was now talking with both Maven and Clara, "one day, you're going to fall head over heals for someone, you wouldn't know what hit you."

"Yup," Amelia chimed in, leaning her temple on my shoulder, "trust me, I don't even know you, but you seam to hate the idea—"

"Despise it—"

"But you'll find it one day," she eyed Jett, "and you can find yourself hating it, but it is what it is."

"You're even worse than Emma," Jett blinked after a second and shook her head, "thank you, but I think I'm good and— oh no."

"What?" Amelia and I said when Jett looked towards the gate and then snapped her gaze to mine.

"James alert," she said flatly and I straightened my back, looking towards the gate at James walking in with a big smile.

"No," I whispered.

"What's happening right now?" Amelia lowered her eyebrows, giving us a very confused look.

"No time to explain," I said, "Jett, take cover."

"Yeah, let Kai take the fall," she replied rounding the bench, sitting on the ground with me following her lead, Amelia still sitting on it looking at us like we're crazy, little did she know our uncle was the insane one.

"Kai!" James said with extremely loud voice, extending his arms, walking towards Kai who widened his eyes, his expression freezing mid sentence with Clara and quickly covered his face with his hand, looking down, "look at you all grown up hiding from me. Don't worry if you want to play with your friends, I'll wait by the car."

"Oh God," I chuckled, seeing Kai looking around, probably for us, and slammed his hand to his face when he didn't find us, "on a scale from one to ten, how much do you think Kai's going to hate us?"

"Definitely 15," Jett smiled, seeing Kai shake his head at something James said. Every time James came to pick us up, he would treat us like toddlers, and he's our grandpa or something. It was so embarrassing.

"Hey, guys," Amelia's whisper came from behind us, making both of us jump before turning to her, "who is that?"

"My uncle," I answered, "he doesn't fit the title though."

"Your uncle?" Amelia's voice came out high pitched, "how is that someone's uncle? He looks so young."

"That's because he is," Jett replied before I could, "and he acts even younger."

"I'm sorry, Emma," Amelia smiled, her eyes not leaving James, "but your family is fine as hell."

I let out a laugh, and Jett scoffed with a shake of her head. I looked at Kai just when his hands came to rest on Clara's shoulders, patting them twice with an apologetic look before quickly moving towards James with a threatening look, turning him around and pushing him back towards the gate while he just laughed. I tried to tame down the anger that rushed through my body at his hands touching her, but then she looked back and her eyes met mine, and I swear she smirked at me like she just won a challenge.

"Okay, serious question," Amelia started, "do you have a brother, Emma?"

"No?" I lowered an eyebrow, "I have a cousin though."

"Perfect," Amelia grinned, and Jett gave her a look.

"Don't you like someone?"

"Yeah, but I need a backup plan, all right? My man is blind."

I was just about to throw a comment when I saw Zade strolling down the playground before looking up and stilling in place, eyes widening and looking around in alert.

"That's my cousin," I said to Amelia, pointing at Zade, who very slowly walked backwards, as if normally walking would make James see him, and I couldn't help my my light laugh.

"Oh my god," she whispered and leaned next to Jett's ear, "Don't you agree? Emma's family is gorgeous."

"That's my brother," Jett said flatly, and Amelia jerked her head back, surprised, "I'm Emma's cousin."

"Oh," she said after a moment, "so you're in said family. Cool. You're gorgeous too, makes sense."

"Thank you," Jett grinned, putting a hand on her heart, "you seem really sweet, but I think it's time for us to go, and save this kid over there."

"Yeah," we stood up and hugged Amelia goodbye before I went to Zade, "hey, buddy."

"If he keeps doing that, one of us is going to kill him," He simply said when I put an arm around his shoulder walking towards the gate with Jett already ahead of us.

"Do you think it's going to be Kai or Jett?" I asked.

"They're going to partner up," he shrugged, "and I'm going to hide the body."

"I'm going to be your alibi," I smiled as reached the gate, Kai's head snapped to the three of us and crossed his arm with a tilt of his head, causing me to fight a laugh and held my arms up, "someone had to take the fall, alright?"

"Traitors. All of you, but you," he pointed at me, "this betrayal coming from you hurt, Emmaline."

"Drama queen," Zade rolled his eyes then looked at James, "when are you planning to grow up?"

"What are you talking about?" He smiled, "I am picking my kids from school, I think that's proof that I'm well grown."

"You're like 5 years older than us, James," Jett said as we walked to the car.

"How'a math class going, JJ?" James tilted his head, getting out his car keys.

"Horrible," Jett groaned, throwing her head back. Kai scoffed, resting his elbow on her shoulder.

"I told you, I could tutor you—"

"I don't like to spend time with you, so I'd rather fail, thanks," she jerked his arm off of her. Once James opened his door, Jett and Kai slowly looked at each other, narrowing their eyes, and Zade and I took a step back.

"You might want to watch out," Zade said as we stepped farther, "who do you think is going to win?"

"My money's on Kai," I crossed my arms, "Jett won last time, he's holding a grudge."

Before I could even finish my sentence Jett and Kai took off running to the car, Jett elbowing Kai, making him groan and stumble a step back, and Jett was about to open the passenger door, but Kai was faster, wrapping his arm around her stomach and turning her by carrying her off the ground so she was facing the other side, "no!"

"You took the shotgun last time!" Kai snapped as Jett kicked her feet trying to pry him off before stilling, and I could see her eyes lighting up, an idea coming to mind. She ducked her head, biting Kai's arm until he let out a groan letting her go, "you psycho—"

"Hah!" She laughed, pushing him to the side and got in the car, slamming the door behind her. The outcome may have been Kai's state being frustrated, but what happened right now brought a smile to my face. He was happy. Kai rarely showed this carefree attitude in front of everyone, specially not in school, or the academy, or people he knew in general. I loved when he loosened up around us, when he let this side of him take over.

"I will come for you, Jett," he pointed at her through the glass, and opened the back door with me following and Zade after me.

"My money was on you Kai," I rolled my eyes, "what a shame."

"This psychopath is not playing fair," he pointed at Jett in the front seat.

"Playing fair is for losers," Jett shrugged and looked back with a smile, "get it, loser?"

"You—" he leaned in to hit her forehead and she gasped, wiggling in her seat to turn fully.

"Hey!"

"And then you get mad when I treat you like kids," James shook his head, starting the engine, "Jett, you're going to get hurt, sit straight."

"But—"

"I'll buy you ice cream."

"Wait! I want one too!" I chimed in, "let's go to that ice cream store."

"You know I can be busy too right?" James said and Zade shot him an unconvinced look.

"Buy us ice cream and we'll invite you to the next movie night."

"Deal," James smiled and drove off. I can't even imagine how this man was as a kid, seeing he still acts like a 10 year old.

"James you're a man-child trapped in a grown man's body," Kai laughed and rested his head on my shoulder casually, "seriously, who raised you?"

"My brother," James shrugged, "I think I turned out amazing, you guys are boring as hell."

I tried to focus on the rest of the conversation, but all I could focus on was Kai's head on my shoulder, his hair brushing against my jaw, his voice so close to my ear. I wondered if he knew the affect he had on me, what he felt after that day in the lake. Did he know I was going to kiss him? Did he mind it? Did he think about it? Did he think about me?

The way he was right now proved anything but, as if nothing had changed. As if nothing had happened. I mean technically nothing did happen, but but there was something in the way he looked at me that day in the lake, I know it. I saw it. I tried to convince myself I did, anyway. But then again maybe the spark I saw in his eyes were just the reflection of mine.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Emma, open the door, please!" Mum called out from her room when the doorbell rang.

"Okay!" I grabbed my other earring from the dresser and headed downstairs. Mum came back today, finally. Her timing was also perfect because it was thanksgiving. I couldn't even imagine that before I was born, before taking down the reestablishment, holidays didn't exist. Or to be exact, no longer existed. I walked to the door, trying to put in my earring, and swung the door open with the other hand, gripping the doorknob at the sight in front of me.

Kai was standing with a trey in his hand, probably the turkey Nazeera cooked for us, but that wasn't were my eyes rested. My gazed roamed all over his figure. He was wearing a brown v-neck sweater over a white collared shirt that made his olive skin tone stand out, black wide leg trousers that fell above his white sneakers. The sweater was loose and the shirt is visible at the collar and cuffs. He probably hated it. He hated these kind of formal clothes, even when this looked casual, I know he'd rather be in a hoodie and sweatpants, "hey, sunshine."

"Hey," I replied softly, even after all this time, Kai calling me sunshine will never not make my stomach twist. My eye line shooting up to his face. His black hair was somehow shining against the porch lights, his curls falling on both sides of his face. I saw him shift on one leg and realized I didn't even invite him in, clearing my throat, "come in."

I opened the door wider, letting him in and watching as he took off his shoes, wiggling with my earrings and groaning when I couldn't find the ear piercing. I heard Kai chuckle next to me and looked to him with a glare as he put the trey in the kitchen and walked back to me, holding his palm up, "what?"

"I'll help you," he smiled, and when I just stared at him, he pulled my fingers away, grabbing the earring and taking a step closer to loop it in. I let out a breath and my next inhale took in Kai's perfume. He smelt like rosemary, like the earth after a rain shower. I loved it. It reminded me of us as kids in the playground, laughing and joking around in the rain as it surrounded us, "here you go."

"Thank you," I touched my ear and tucked a strand of my hair behind it, "where's Naz and Kenji?"

"Getting ready," he shrugged, "I was bored, so I told them I'll head here now."

"Mhm," really? That's all I could come up with? Emma, pull yourself together, "I called Jett, and she said Aunt Alia didn't feel well today, that's why Uncle Adam let James pick us up, so he could stay with her, but they're coming. They should be here any second."

"Mhm," he replied, and I shifted from one leg to another. Well, that was awkward. Since when does Kai not have a comeback for anything I say?

"But she's not that sick, thank god. I mean, she made me this dress just this week," I was ranting but whatever, "do you think she got exhausted because of that?"

"No, it's her powers," he said calmly, his eyes dropping to the dress. It was a maroon, ribbed, knit dress with a high neck and long sleeves. It had a black belt with a gold buckle at the waist even when it already hugged my body perfectly, falling just above my knees. He trailed his stare from my feet up, and I felt heat everywhere he looked, rubbing my hand against my neck. I needed air. Why is it so hot in here? It's November, for God's sake.

"Hey, I wasn't really done getting ready," I started, fighting to keep my voice from coming out breathy, "so, I'll uh, I'll go do that. Wait here, I'll be right back."

I stormed upstairs without giving him a second look, my shoes thudding against the steps until I shut my bedroom's door behind me, leaning against it with a long exhale.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I pointed at my reflection in the mirror, "he looks nice, so what? He helped you wear an earring, nothing special. Pull. Yourself. Together."

I'm going crazy. I lifted my waved hair up, taking a breath because I felt like I was burning up. Maybe it's your cold, you're still sick. Yeah. It's the cold. Absolutely. I looked at the ribbon on the dresser, the color matching the dress, but my mind flashed a pink ribbon image instead, with Kai standing behind me, tying it in the motel. I thanked god at that moment that he couldn't see my face, see my chest falling up and down at the feel of his hands in my hair.

I needed to keep those emotions at bay. The dinner hasn't even started yet, and I already felt like I was a wreck. For my sake, and for Kai's sake, I needed to calm down. Dad felt like a walking lie detector, I needed to hide that from him. I needed a distraction.

Instead of my hand going to the ribbon, it went for the phone, my fingers quickly dialing Jett's number, speaking once she picked up not giving her a chance to even say hi, "where are you?"

"Um... like, 5 minutes away from you," she said, "are you okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded even when she couldn't see me, "I'm totally fine— no, I'm not. You need to come here right now, I need someone to keep my eyes on who isn't Kai."

"And I'm the perfect role for that?"

"Yup, you can be quiet distracting, I love you."

"I don't know if I should feel offended or not— shut up, Zade," she hushed him, and I heard some ruffling before she threatened to throw him out of the car while it's moving, "sorry, Ems. Anyway, we're literally, like, 3 minutes away now."

"Okay," I sighed, "I just want you to know it's so bad, I locked myself in my room."

"That's embarrassing, girl."

"Conversation ends here, bye!" I hung up and put my phone down, about to pick up my ribbon when someone knocked on my door, "yeah?"

"Can I come in?" Mum's voice came out muffled.

"Yeah."

"Hey," she cracked the door open, "what are you doing up here?"

"Still have to tie this," I showcased the ribbon.

She smiled and shut the door behind her, walking to me, "let me do it for you."

I handed it to her and turned, looking at my reflection. I didn't want to admit it, even to myself, but I may have spend some extra time getting ready today, deciding on what makeup look would look best on me, what hairstyle would fit me, what jewelry would go with the dress. I never thought about doing that before because I knew I didn't need it. But I did, and I did it thinking about what Kai's reaction would be like.

"What's on your mind?" Mum said as she held a part of my hair up.

"Nothing," I smiled, "why?"

"I know that look," she arched an eyebrow, "and why does your face look flushed? Are you okay?"

"Hmm?" I touched my face before blinking, "it's not flushed. I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yes," I stressed as she fiddled with the ribbon against my hair, slowly nodding, causing me to narrow my eyes in suspicion, "mum, you were watching what was happening downstairs in silence, weren't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she shrugged, fixing my hair after she tied the ribbon, "you look so beautiful."

"Thank you," I squeezed her hand on my shoulder, "I missed you."

I turned and hugged her as she ran her hand through my hair, "I missed you too, sweetheart. I can't wait to hear about how your days have been."

"Of course," never, "we'll fill each other later though. Jett said—" the bell rang cutting me off, "oh, here they are!"

I grabbed her hand and walked us downstairs, seeing Dad already there talking with Kai, Kenji and Naz talking with Uncle Adam and Aunt Alia as Zade and Jett argued about something. Family dinners chaotic. I loved them.

x-x-x-x-x-x

I hated this.

Well, not hated, I just felt like I couldn't really remember how to breathe well. No big deal, right? I felt overwhelmed for two reasons. A) out of all the seats on this table, Kai's chair was the one next to me, and every time he as much as moved his hand, I would freeze for a second B) I focused on trying not to freeze, not to feel anything, because Dad was sitting right in front of us. I glanced at him from time to time, but his gaze seemed to always be on mum.

I sighed and went for the plate in front of me, wanting a Cranberry Brie Bite, the same time Kai did too, our fingers brushing against each other before I quickly pulled my hand back, watching him do the same, "sorry—"

"It's okay," his lips curved up, and motioned for me to take whatever I wanted first. I really needed to get out of here. I looked to Jett sitting on my right, but she seemed to only be focusing on the food, not paying whatever is going around any attention. Jett, you had one job.

"No," Kenji's voice snapped my head up to him taking the fork in my dad's hand away, "eat like normal human beings."

"I am," Dad replied calmly, still looking at the cookies plate, not even glancing at Kenji, "now, hand me back my fork."

"No," Kenji said again, "I've been silent about this for almost twenty years. You need to stop."

"I don't see how me eating can be disturbing to you."

"It's disturbing to my eyes," Kenji raised an eyebrow, "you're weird."

"How dare you—"

"Guys," Mum started but was cut off.

"How can you be angry at how I'm eating?"

"Remember when you were furious about how I eat too? Huh?"

"That was different," Dad defended, "you were disgusting me."

"You—"

"And I wasn't angry about it. I was merely saying my opinion and teaching you pure manners. This, what you're doing right now defines what angry is."

"I'm not angry. I'm just passionately expressing my disappointment."

"Well, I'm disappointed that somewhere out there, there is a tree waisting its oxygen on you. I think you owe it an apology."

"Hey," Naz frowned, "stop being so mean to him all the time, it's not cool. It's getting old, alright? You're acting like a child, Warner."

"I'm the child? Your husband—"

"Is perfect," she crossed her arms and Dad scoffed.

"I beg to differ. He's a bastard—"

"Aaron!" Mum hissed, but Dad's eyes stayed pinned at Kenji, glaring.

"No," Jett started after chewing, everyone's heads turning to her, "you're actually being annoying. Leave the man alone. Plus, I think uncle did you a favor by telling you how to eat, you actually look decent now—"

"Hey, you can't—" kenji pointed a finger at her but she cut him off.

"I'm not done talking," she leaned forward, and Kenji blinked at her, "you literally started an argument and got mad about it. Make it make sense, please. You're acting more childish than James, and that's saying a lot."

Everyone was silent, I could actually hear my ears ring for a second until Dad blinked and simply said, "I like you."

"Thank you. I appreciate it," Jett innocently grinned with a tilt of her head before picking up her fork again.

"Like her?" Kenji snapped, "you never told me you liked me."

"Because I don't?" Dad gave him a look which made Kenji fuel more, quickly picking another argument as if Jett's speech meant nothing.

"Hey," Kai whispered, leaning in, making the hairs on my neck stand on its end, "do you think if we got out of here, they would notice?"

I looked around to the four of them still "arguing" before looking at Uncle Adam and Alia fighting their laughs with a shake of their heads before Dad turned his attention to Uncle Adam picking up an argument too on how his own brother should be on his side, "yeah, I don't think so."

"What do you say we bail?" He nodded his head to the backyard's direction, and I smiled looking at Zade who was giving us the same look, raising his eyebrows for confirmation until Kai nodded, and I nudged Jett, who was finally done eating, holding a glass of juice. James was in the bathroom, so when he comes down, he's properly going to figure out where we are and follow on his own, "let's go."

Kai took my hand just when Zade slowly moved his chair back, quietly standing up, Jett doing the same. They were so focused on each other that the four of us made it to the back door, opened, walked through, and shut it behind us, running farther into the backyard until we reached the patio, the lights already on.

"Ugh," Jett threw herself on the hammock with a groan, "they're impossible."

"Look who's talking," Zade swayed the hammock, making it go back and forth with Jett on it, "you're worse than the four of them combined."

"Excuse me?" She scowled, smacking his shoulder.

They kept going back and forth, but I was still focused on Kai's hand holding mine. He didn't let go yet, and I didn't want him to. I was scared to even move so that he'd notice and pry his hand off. Earlier our fingers barely touched each other and it felt like an electric shock, but now holding his hand felt so comfortable, so warm, so right. I had to force myself not to squeeze his hand not to make him turn his attention to it, but then I felt something. His fingers brushed against my palm until suddenly he linked them through mine. His fingers. Linked. In mine. Woah.

I slowly looked up at him, but he wasn't looking at me, his eyes on Jett and Zade, but I could tell he wasn't even listening. Like me. What was the chance of him feeling the same as me right now? The chance of him being nervous to move in case I let go of him? I breathed out and finally squeezed his hand, trying to convince myself it was okay, and nodded to the seats on the patio, pulling him with me.

"Why are you so quiet today?" I asked once we sat down.

"Why are you so quiet today?" He tilted his head, "normally you could be the one hosting this dinner. What's going on? Ever since you went with me to the lake party, you've been out of it. Did something happen? Did anyone bother you?"

"What? No," I shook my head, and he cocked his head in question, "I swear. It was fun. Your friends were nice."

"They should be," he leaned his head against the back of the couch, "to you, everyone should."

"Why do you say that?" I swallowed, trying to focus on what's coming out of his mouth instead of how his adam's apple moves when he talks.

"They don't have any reason not to be," he shrugged, "you deserve more than nice."

My breath caught in my throat as I blinked at him. I deserved more than nice. According to who? In general? Because I'm good to everyone? Or according to him? Because he thinks I deserve more than nice from him. I'm not even sure if that's what he was trying to say, or if I was just twisting his words because of some personal reasons.

"Why?" I found myself asking before I could stop. I wanted to hear him talk. Talk about me.

"Why not?" His eyes stayed sobered on mine, his thumb brushing against my hand in his, but I think he didn't even notice doing it, "I don't know if you realize this, but you're the most pure person I've ever met. You're kind, considerate, loving."

"That's actually common in a lot of people, Kai," I sighed, prying my gaze off of him and leaning my head back, looking up, "I hate to break it to you, but it's not special."

"It is," he insisted, "you are."

"How?" My chest was closing in, but I kept my voice steady, my eyes up facing the few stars illuminating the night sky.

"Because you have every opportunity not to be good, Emmaline. You could have been arrogant. You could have bragged about who you and your family are. You could have talked back to people who upset you, but you don't. That's special."

I looked at him then. And I didn't want to look away. He wasn't smiling, but his eyes glinted under the soft lights as he looked at me. He was looking at me even when I wasn't looking back. He thought I'm special. Whatever that meant to him. I could hear Jett and Zade talking but their voices were so faint, so far away.

His eyes roamed between mine, while mine dropped to his mouth for a second before gazing back up. Even if it was a second, I felt like I memorized how his lips are drawn. How they looked like. But I wanted to know how they felt like. I wanted to not only memorize them with not only my eyes, but with my own lips. So much for controlling your emotions, Emma.

"Emmaline," Kai whispered, tilting his head so the top of it barely touched mine.

"Yeah?" I breathed, my fingers curling more around his. I could feel my hand burning from touching him, being this close to him. It felt like he was looking straight into my soul, not just my eyes. His eyes stayed pinned on mine, though, not wavering. Pinning me in place. Mostly, his brown eyes seem dark, calm but sharp. But now, they looked so soft, gentle, welcoming.

"Hey, guys," Zade's voice came clearer, hearing a thud on the seat next to ours. Kai blinked and suddenly his eyes turned sober again, sharp again before he leaned his head up, looking at Zade. He let go of my hand, his other one cracking his fingers. I gritted my teeth and turned to him too, curling my own hands into fists, "since dinner turned into a war zone, and we didn't get the chance to say what we're thankful for, let's do it now."

"Hmm," Jett hummed, still swaying on the hammock, "I'm thankful I beat Kai two times in a row taking the shotgun seat. That was a high score I'm proud of. I'm also thankful that it proves my point that women will always be more superior."

"I'm thankful I'm not related to Kai," Zade grinned, "never have, never will."

"I'm thankful that I have the absolute power and will to end your life anytime I feel like it," Kai started with an annoyed smile, "and nobody will question it."

"I don't know why I still have you in my life," Zade rolled his eyes.

"I know, right? When are you planning to leave it?"

"Kai," I smacked his arm gently, "reminder he's my family."

"Your cousins are pain to my existence, Emmaline," he groaned, "do something about it."

"You can be annoying too," I scolded him, and he crossed his arm with a huff, looking away, "you're such a baby."

"I'm not."

"You're acting like one," Zade and Jett said in union, and I fought against the smile begging to curve at Kai's frustration.

"Boo!" The voice came directly from behind me causing me to let out a high pitched scream as Kai tensed next to me, his hand coming to mine again, gripping it tightly until we heard the familiar voice chuckle and let go.

"What I'm not thankful for is having this man-child in my life," Kai gritted out, glaring at James, "when are you planning to grow up? Like, please enlighten us."

"Telling people you're my uncle is actually embarrassing James," Zade nodded.

"Me too," Jett and I chimed in before I continued, "my heart almost stopped. What kind of loving uncle are you?"

"I said it once, and I'll say it again," James stood straight from behind the couch, "you guys are boring."

"What do you want?" Jett got off the hammock, putting her hands on her hips.

"We're leaving," James replied, "Alia wouldn't admit it, but I think she's catching a strong cold."

"Oh," Jett's hands fell to her sides, "okay, let's go."

"I told her she should rest," Zade stood up with Kai and I following.

"You know how you mum is," James shrugged, putting an arm on Zade's shoulder as we headed to the back door.

We got in, said goodbye, and I waved at them as they closed the door behind them.

"So you guys are still staying?" Dad said in a bored voice, his hands in his coat pockets.

"Aaron, I swear—" Mum hissed and turned to Naz and Kenji, "you can stay for as long as you want."

"Was going to do that anyway," Kenji shrugged, "just so you know, Warner, we're not here for you. We missed J."

"Well, I missed my wife," Dad frowned.

"Does it look like I care?" Kenji replied.

"Why are you like this?" Dad asked, "why have you been doing this to me since we were 20? What did I ever do to you?"

"Oh no," Naz and I said at the same time.

"What didn't you do to him?" Kai laughed under his breath thinking it was inaudible, but Dad's head slowly turned to him until his laugh sobered, "I'm so sorry."

"You should be," Dad raised an eyebrow, "for a lot of things."

Dad's offered me a single glance that made Kai take a sharp breath, his mouth slightly dropping, hands going up before slamming to his legs again, "it's not my fault. She just caught a cold! She's perfect now. How is that my fault?"

"Wait- she..." mum started and looked at me before looking at Dad, "she caught a cold? Why don't I know this?"

"Uh oh," Kenji and Kai said in the same time, and Naz covered her forehead with her hand, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry, love," Dad put a hand on her shoulder, "I didn't want to worry you."

"But she's—"

"She's right here," I beamed with a smile, "perfect. I'm not sick anymore, I had a great time at the lake party—"

"What lake party?" Mum lowered her eyebrows, "you went to a party?"

"Not exactly?" I winced.

"Guys," Naz started, "you're overwhelming the girl. Warner, you'll get your wife alone for literally however long you want, grow up. Kenji you're being a pain to our heads right now, so work on that. Ella, your daughter is fine. Kai took her to a lake party with his friends, and they enjoyed there time there."

"Oh," Mum's shoulders relaxed, and looked at Kai and me, "you did?"

"Why didn't Kai get scolded?" Kenji crossed his arms with a scowl.

"Because he didn't do anything wrong, and Warner is already jumping down his throat, which by the way," she turned sharply to Dad, "leave my son alone."

"Well, he's the—"

"Nu-uh," she put her palm up in his face, making his eyes go slightly wide in surprise, "you're rivals with a kid for literally just breathing. So I'll say it again, grow. Up."

"You can't talk to me like that."

"I just did," she tilted her head, "now, can we sit down and have a drink?"

"Yeah," Mum smiled, putting a hand on Dad's wrist, "come on."

"Fine," Dad said after a moment, pulling his hand from his pocket, linking his fingers through mum's. It reminded me of earlier when Kai did the same, and my fingers curled on instant. I was scared to look at him, scared to check if he saw them and thought the same thing or... not. I want him to like me, but I'm scared to find out if he does.

"I'll go get something from my room," I cleared my throat, excusing myself. I needed to go away, even though Dad was focused on mum, but I couldn't risk it. Plus, I also wanted to clear my head. Thankfully, being dragged into this family's drama was helpful for once, it focused my emotions on defending myself to mum. However, now that I was alone again, my mind drifted back to that moment in the patio. What did he want to tell me?

Emmaline. I can't explain it, but I know it came out of his mouth differently. He always calls me that, it was nothing new, but this time was different I swear. The way he whispered it, like he wanted something. Like he expected something and knew that I was aware of it. I walked towards my window, looking at the sky again, but this time I found more stars that I did earlier. All so faint, barely visible. Except two. Among the multitude of faint and twinkling lights, they were the only stars that stood out.

I wondered why they shined so bright, or if they had a special purpose or meaning. Meaning. The thought made my gaze drop to my dresser drawer. Slowly opening it when I heard someone from behind me, "hey."

I quickly shut it and turned around seeing Kai with his hands behind him, leaning against the doorframe and couldn't stop my mouth from slightly dropping. He was leaning with one foot crossed over the other, and his head propped against the wall. I liked the way he looked so at ease and relaxed. So calm and content, "hey."

"What are you doing?" He asked calmly, the only change in his expression being a blink of his eyes.

"Nothing," I sighed, tugging on my dress's sleeves, "just needed to breathe."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about what happened down there. I started it."

"No, you didn't," I rushed, "my dad did by glaring at you."

"It wouldn't be your dad if he didn't," he chuckled making me smile, "I wanted to give you something."

"Me?" I cocked my head in curiosity.

"Yup," he nodded once, "but you may want to come closer."

"Did you get me something?" I smiled, already walking to him, stopping one feet away. Even then, even when he was leaning against something, he was taller than me, towering over me.

"I promised, didn't I?" He moved his hands that I didn't even notice were behind his back, showcasing something wrapped in brown paper with a thin rope shaped as a ribbon.

"Promised?" I gave him a confused look but took the gift anyway, quickly pulling the ribbon's string, freeing the item from the wrap around it before my jaw dropped farther, "oh my god! You actually got me the book."

"Actually?" He jerked his head back, "what do you mean? You mean I'm a liar?"

"No," I laughed, still looking at the book, jumping slightly on my tiptoes, "thank you!"

I looked up to see him flashing a smile and some uninvited butterflies broke free in my stomach at the sight, my tongue talking on instinct without my permission, again rude, "hey... I got you something too."

"You did?" He raised his eyebrows in surprise, and I nodded, "for what?"

"Mmm... thanksgiving?" I tilted my head. It wasn't for thanksgiving. I was in a bookstore one day, and I passed by the crosswords and puzzle books. Most of them looked exactly the same, I didn't really understand what was the difference or what they had in them, but I recognized some that Kai already had until I saw a different one that was alone on a shelf. I didn't know why but I picked it up and asked about it, the worker said it was the last one because a lot of people bought the rest and they never seem to get there hands on it usually, so I bought it. It must have been special or new or something.

"Wait here," I pointed and walked to my bookshelf, putting the new book next to my favorite ones before walking to the dresser again, opening the door and getting the book out. When I bought it, I don't know why I didn't give it to him. Maybe because I didn't know why or for what I got it. It didn't have a meaning. But maybe now it will. Maybe. I put it behind my back and walked to him, watching him finally lean off of the doorframe, standing straight, "here."

I extended it between us, "I know it's not wrapped like yours, or if you even like these kind of books, I don't actually know what's in it, but the cover looked nice and—"

"Emmaline—"

"The worker said people seemed to be looking for it a lot—"

"Emmaline—"

"And— yeah?"

"Breathe," his fingers wrapped around it, taking it and looking it over, his eyes widening before looking up, "I've been looking for this."

"You have?"

"Mhm," he smirked at the book before smiling sweetly, "thank you, sunshine."

I huffed out a chuckle, looking down, my hands going to my sleeves again. I need to stop this habit, he'll know I'm nervous. He knows that I do that a lot, because his hands always come to stop mine when it happens. He didn't now though, he just smiled at me. The book still in his hands and just when I was about to say we should probably head down he said, "you didn't say what you're thankful for this year."

"Huh?" I blinked quickly, "what?"

"Jett, Zade, Me. We all said what we're thankful for," he shrugged, "what are you thankful for?"

I could have cracked a joke like they did, or I could have said my family, a very basic but very Emmaline answer. But I found my tongue moving on it's own, "you."

"...me?" He didn't blink, didn't smile, didn't even move. I opened my mouth and closed it again. I was grateful for him, but the word came out so sudden, I would have been taken aback too. It's not weird for us to be thankful for having each other. He knew, I knew. But saying it? Like that? I looked to my right, at the bookshelf, but my mind strolled elsewhere. Make a move. What if I did? It's not the worse thing right? I mean, the lake? I'd like to believe that was two sided. Carrying me when I had a cold. Tonight in the patio. Maybe, just maybe, he feels it too.

You're crazy. What id he doesn't? I know how Kai is. And nothing that happened between us these past days was out of character of him. Nothing. Even the lake, I'm the one who wrapped my body around him, I'm the one who leaned in to kiss him, I'm the one who was enough of an idiot to open my mouth to actually talk before Maven interrupted us. I huffed out under my breath, finding a middle ground before clearing my throat.

"I'm grateful for you," I smiled up at him, "I'm grateful you're always there for me. I'm grateful because I actually have a best friend who cares about me no matter what. No matter how," I swallowed, "I'm just grateful you're still in my life."

Utter. Silence. I held my breath as Kai looked at me with a blank expression, his eyes not leaving mine for what felt like forever until he finally blinked, his expression turning into a relaxed, a smile breaking out, "I'm not planning on going anywhere."

Before I could open my mouth, Kai took a step forward, leaning in as his arms came around my back, pulling me to him, hugging me. I let out the breath I was holding, standing on my tiptoes  ad my arms slid around his neck, murmuring against it, "I love you."

His grip slightly tightened on me, "I love you too."

I sighed because as much as I was content in this moment, I wanted him to tell me something else. He said he loved me. But I wanted him to love me. Just like I love him.

———————
A/N:

Wanted to give y'all a cozy chapter before the real emotional roller coaster starts next chapters. Buckle your seatbelts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 7 4
⚠️ CONTAINS EXPLICIT CONTENT AND SEXUAL SCENES Whilst having one of their Weekly Sunday dinners with Kenji and Nazeera, Warner simply cannot wait the...
8.6K 189 12
I am writing this cuz i was bored, couldn't sleep and I absolutely love Kenji Kishimoto. This will follow the books and will have dialogue from the b...
39K 557 48
I'm so thankful for my brother. So so thankful. I've been at my lowest many times, but he is still here, beside me when I need him the most, he gave...
40.3K 647 21
This is a fan fiction on the "touching Juliette trilogy" from Tahereh Mafi. The story continues two years after Juliette managed to take over sector...