Playing with Forever

By Emy_Holland

He'll live forever into the future. I'm running from my past. When we collide, sparks fly, secrets are threat... More

Welcome!
Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: The Loner Table
Chapter 3: The Guidance Counselor
Chapter 4: Uniforms and Burns
Chapter 5: An Unappealing Offer
Chapter 6: A Confusing Look
Chapter 7: Abby's Room
Chapter 8: Hang Out Type of Friends
Chapter 9: Field Trip
Chapter 10: Fire
Chapter 11: No Burns
Chapter 12: Pizza Party
Chapter 13: An Unappealing Offer, Part II
Chapter 14: An Unintentional Swim
Chapter 15: Sam's Truth, Part I
Chapter 16: Sam's Truth, Part II
Chapter 17: Sam's Truth, Part III
Chapter 18: Absorbing It All
Chapter 19: Auras
Chapter 20: The Studio
Chapter 21: An Unappealing Offer Part III
Chapter 22: Late Night Phone Calls
Chapter 23: Heated Feelings Around a Bonfire
Chapter 24: Paula
Chapter 25: Don't Be Afraid
Chapter 27: The Gala
Chapter 28: Abby's Truth
Chapter 29: Start and Stop
Chapter 30: Crappy Bits of Past to Reveal
Chapter 31: Disapproval and Avoidance
Chapter 32: Sketches
Chapter 33: Burned
Chapter 34: The Stone
Chapter 35: A Busted Can of Soup
Chapter 36: Sleeping In
Chapter 37: Show Me Something
Chapter 38: Ill
Chapter 39: Dancing
Chapter 40: Unwanted Kisses
Chapter 41: Clay and Opal
Chapter 42: April 3rd
Chapter 43: Sick
Chapter 44: Kids
Chapter 45: It'll Happen When It's Right
Chapter 46: Credit Cards and Sandwiches
Chapter 47: Tristan's Threats
Chapter 48: Prom
Chapter 49: Sam's Truth
Chapter 50: Tristan's Threats, Part II
Chapter 51: The Decline
Chapter 52: Descending Deeper
Chapter 53: Rock Bottom
Chapter 54: RIP or Whatever
Chapter 55: Fille Courageuse
Chapter 56: Help
Chapter 57: Visitors
Chapter 58: Blue
EPILOGUE

Chapter 26: Welcome to New York

4 1 0
By Emy_Holland

"So, I want to take you somewhere," Sam said on the phone. I had my cell tucked in between my ear and shoulder as I folded laundry in my room, Lizzie Bennett sprawled across the clothes warm from the dryer. I had to pull things out from underneath her, and she grumbled her displeasure every time I jostled her. "I hope it is okay."

"Where?" I asked suspiciously.

"There is a holiday party in New York that some of the immortals throw, and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce you to them."

"New York?" I spluttered. I couldn't possibly have heard him correctly. "You want to take me to New York?"

"Yes."

"Sam, there's no way."

"Why not?"

I bunched the shirt I was folding up in my hands. "I can't—I can't just go jaunting off across the country! I could never afford that."

There was a pause down the line. "About that. I am asking you to go, so I would be paying."

I jerked back, aghast. "I could never take that from you," I replied.

"I know why you feel that way, and I understand," he said in a soothing, placating voice. "I am not trying to hurt your pride."

My eyebrows crinkled in confusion. "Then why ask if you knew I was going to say no?"

"I really feel like this would be good for you. Necessary, even, in order to make an informed decision about what to do with your eternity," he said.

I switched my phone from one ear to the other. "Sam, I don't know..."

"Think of it as education," he rushed to add. "Education about immortals. It will help you to meet other people who have made the same decision you are now facing."

I paused for a long moment, considering. I didn't want his charity, but he had a point. I mean, I was pretty sure I had already made my decision to not become immortal, but I was curious about other immortals. If I could only talk to them about how they handled living a world where bad things happened for eternity, maybe I could finally know how to find peace in my mortal life. 

Eventually, I said, "I don't have anything to wear."

"Do not worry," Sam replied confidently. "I already got you something."

Incredulous, I demanded, "You bought me something before I even said yes? That's a little presumptuous, don't you think?"

"I thought maybe it would sway you into saying yes. What do you say?"

Another long pause from me before I sighed and relented. "Fine. When do we leave?"

I heard the smile in his voice when he said, "The 20th. I am glad you said yes. It will be good, I promise."

I sat on the plane between Paula and Sam and got ready for the long, six hour flight to the opposite coast of the United States. I'd gotten a book at a thrift store to entertain me, plus there was the in-flight TV. Sam had bought us first class seats—so typical of him, throwing cash around—so I had plenty of room to stretch out and feel comfortable.

Paula, despite having been of dozens and dozens of planes in her extended lifetime, was excited. She bounced in her seat as we took off, and even I, who'd also been on planes before, felt her excitement rub off on me. Sam smiled along indulgently.

"I love flying!" Paula cried over the ambient noise of the plane.

"It's pretty cool, right?" I agreed.

She turned to me with a toothy grin. I randomly wondered if she often lost her teeth like a normal kid would, or if that was just a one-time deal that happened while she was still mortal. If any immortal lost their teeth, would it just grow back? Something to ask Sam. "I can't wait to go to space someday," Paula added.

My eyebrows raised in surprise. "Space?"

"Yeah. Didn't you know? All immortals are going to space."

I turned to Sam for explanation. He looked reluctant, like he didn't want to scare me, but explained, "Someday, when our planet is uninhabitable, everyone is going to move to space—mortals and immortals alike. We will be around to make that change."

"Can you leave?" I asked, dumbfounded. "Can you leave the earth, even with the immortality stream here?"

He nodded with a smile. "We have done tests, sending immortal astronauts to space and testing the limits of immortality." I felt my eyebrows skyrocket at his words. "It works," he said, blowing my mind.

"Whoa," was all I could say.

"Whoa, indeed," he agreed.

I sat back in my seat and absorbed. Immortals would be space pioneers. It made me think about immortality in a practical type of sense that I hadn't thought of before. Immortals would outlast the Earth. They'd live long enough to see the destruction of our planet, and move to others. It was hard to comprehend, seeing the end of Earth's days like that. The thought was overwhelmingly depressing. I hadn't thought I'd see it in my lifetime, but Sam's...

I looked at my friend, imagining him on a space ship instead of an airplane. I could see it, I could see him off to a new planet elsewhere in the galaxy. There had always been something special about him, some sense that he was everlasting, up for anything that life threw at him. This was just one more thing he and the immortals would survive.

"Sound amazing," I eventually concluded. "But I don't know if I'd like to do it myself."

"You will get used to the idea," Sam said with a gentle smile. "I can imagine it now: Abigail Shea, the astronaut."

I snorted, and got more comfortable in my seat as Sam turned on his personal TV and flipped through the channels. I did the same, and we watched a program together, listening to Paula laugh along to her own show.

The hotel we arrived at was the nicest building I'd ever been in, all chandeliers and floral arrangements with a five star restaurant that we had high tea at. Paula wiggled with excitement at our tea party, filled to the brim with small cakes and little finger sandwiches and other mini goodies that Sam quickly devoured. I'd never been to anything like it.

Upstairs, Sam had booked us a suite with multiple rooms. There was a shared living space between the three of us, and Sam had a bedroom and bathroom of his own, while Paula and I shared. We didn't spend much time at the hotel, though, as Sam whisked us away to see the sights of New York, including a matinee show on Broadway. I collapsed into bed on the first night, wiped out from all we'd managed to pack into one day.

The second day was the day of the gala, so we only spent the morning and afternoon exploring before returning back to the hotel. After an early dinner in the fancy restaurant downstairs, we returned to our suite to get ready. I showered and did my hair and makeup before finding the dress Sam had picked out for me, freshly steamed by the hotel staff.

It was the first time I had seen it, and wow, was I impressed. It was an emerald green gown that was so silky soft it felt like a dream. The dress was fitted around the chest and waist, flaring out gently at the hips before falling to the ground. It had a tall neckline, which I was thankful for, and a leg slit that went up to the knee.

"Oh," Paula sighed when she saw it. "You're going to look like a princess."

When I slipped it on, I felt like one, too. The dress fit like a glove, the cool silk skimming gently over my skin. The color complimented the red of my hair, bringing out the vibrancy of it while also flattering my pasty skin tone. I found myself preening in front of the floor length mirror in our room. I felt stunning, even despite my scrawniness.

While I was checking myself over, Sam knocked on our door, and Paula let him in before I was ready to be seen. He came in, saying, "How much longer—"

He stopped dead when he saw me, halfway through the door and in the middle of his sentence. He froze, drinking me in. "Abigail," he breathed. "You look stunning."

"Isn't she pretty?" Paula said excitedly, mooning over my dress.

Sam caught himself staring then and looked away, clearing his throat. "Yes," he agreed, a flush reddening his ears. "She looks beautiful."

I felt a matching blush heating my skin at his attention. "Thanks," I said.

He took a moment before looking back at me with an odd-looking smile. "Are you ready to go? We are going to be late if we do not leave now."

Taking one last stabilizing breath, I nodded. Paula danced out the door, and I followed, full of nerves instead of excitement.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 429 51
"I'm always sweet babe. You just never noticed." He said with a wink. "It's Alley, not babe. Now bye. I gotta go." I placed emphasis on Alley and bab...
1.7K 292 24
*Editing* Sophia's life had been pretty normal up until this point, Of course she's went through the normal teenage drama, her own personal problems...
10.8K 94 47
Love is strange. It exists in many forms and is one of the key components that makes humans happy, but there isn't a lot of understanding surrounding...
295 131 41
How can Abby consider living forever when every moment is a struggle to survive? In an attempt to leave the worst two years of her life behind, Abby...