Phoenix Rising

By chromatix

Betrayed by the man she loved most and sent to the guillotine, a young girl embarks on a quest for revenge wh... More

Prologue
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
38
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
046
047
048
049
050
051
052
053
054
055
056
057
058
059: An Interlude
060
061
062
063
064
065
066
067
068
069
070
071
072
073
074
075
076
077
078
080
081
082
083
084
085
086
087: An Interlude
088
089
090

079

1.6K 96 22
By chromatix

Back at the Han manor, Lady Min and Meiyan were sitting in the main hall, sipping on freshly brewed cups of jasmine tea. A satisfied smile curled upon the elder woman's face.

"The tea today is especially fragrant," she declared. "Or perhaps when one is in a good mood, everything seems to taste better."

"Mother, are you sure that everything will work out the way we've planned? What if that little minx manages to escape again?" Meiyan asked, a slight frown forming upon her porcelain forehead. Her mother had made arrangements with her uncle to have assassins get rid of Han Zi-ning along the journey from Anyang to Huangcheng, and the plan seemed to be failproof, but there was still a niggling worry that gnawed at the back of her mind. Han Zi-ning had always been a lucky one, so what if she got away again?

Lady Min waved a hand dismissively. "Of course. There's no way she'll get away this time. Your uncle will make certain of that," she replied. A cruel sneer stretched across her lips. "Han Zi-ning thinks she can become a princess? There'll only be one princess in this family, and that's you, Meiyan. Consort Song has been inviting you into the palace quite regularly these days, hasn't she? You must grab the opportunity and be sure to make an impression. If Consort Song and the fifth prince take a liking to you, then you shall have a bright future ahead." Leaning over, she lowered her voice and said, "Your uncle says that things in the royal court are heating up between the factions supporting the different princes. The crown prince may not stay in his seat for much longer. If that happens, then the fifth prince will become a frontrunner for the crown."

Meiyan blinked in surprise. "What does that mean? The king has intentions of naming a new heir?"

"Shh," her mother hissed, pressing a finger upon her lips. "Not so loud. These are just rumours that your uncle has been picking up from his acquaintances in the court, but there is no smoke without fire."

"But I'm not the only one that Consort Song has been inviting," Meiyan remarked sourly. "Every eligible young lady in the capital has been on her guest list."

What Consort Song was trying to do was plain to see—she was attempting to select a suitable wife for her son, the fifth prince Ru-an, and with what Lady Min had just revealed about the succession situation, Meiyan now realised why the consort seemed to be in such a rush. All of the princes had yet to marry, and marriage was the best political tool to leverage on when it came to wrestling for power in the royal court. A good match would come with support from a major clan, and if one of the princes' consorts were lucky enough to bear a child, then that would put them in even better stead to become heir. After all, there was nothing more important to the royal family than the continuation of the royal bloodline.

The queen had apparently already begun talks with Minister Ouyang about a potential union between the crown prince Ru-quan and the minister's daughter, Ouyang Sangya, so the fifth prince had to find an equally good match in order to stay in the game.

"Just because a girl is eligible does not mean that she is suitable to be queen. You are," Lady Min said, patting her daughter's hand with confidence. "If not for Han Zi-ning being a distraction, you would already have been betrothed to one of the princes."

Meiyan nodded. Her mother was right. She had always been the pearl of the capital, the most eligible young lady that all the matchmakers enquired after. Over the past months, she had painstakingly rebuilt her reputation and she was certain that all the unfortunate circumstances that had befallen her was now water under the bridge. She was not only as good as the arrogant Ouyang Sangya—she was better. More beautiful. More talented. More understanding.

I'm meant to be queen, she thought.

"Your father received a shipment of red coral a few days ago," Lady Min continued. "I've sent some of it to the jewelers to be made into necklaces and bracelets. Once it's ready, you should bring a set into the palace as a gift to Consort Song. Her birthday celebration should be in a few weeks' time. Make sure that you—"

"My lady!" Lady Min's maidservant came rushing into the hall, looking flustered and anxious.

"What is it?"

"The Old Madam is asking for everyone to gather at the front entrance. We've just received notice that... that young mistress Zi-ning has returned to the capital."

"What!" Meiyan leapt out of her seat, her eyes widening in disbelief. She turned to her mother. "Mother, how could she be back? Didn't Uncle—"

Lady Min quickly shushed her before she could reveal more than she should. Her eyes narrowed into menacing slits. "I'll find out what happened," she said. "But in the meantime, let us go to the entrance to welcome your sister back home, shall we?"

#

Zi-ning stared up at the familiar signboard hanging above her family home, polished and gleaming, oblivious to the rot that was hiding within those walls. It had been a long while since she left for Zhuiya, and later Anyang, but in the blink of an eye, she was back again. There were many who would be most displeased to see her return. Lifting the curtain of the carriage, she stepped out into the sunlight.

"Miss! You're finally home!" Hana and Shujin immediately rushed forward to help her alight.

She smiled, patting the two girls gently on the back of their hands. Then, she stepped past them and walked over to Old Madam Song, who was watching her with a smile on her wrinkled face and tears welling in her eyes.

"Grandmother, I have returned," she said, curtseying politely.

"Thank the heavens," the old lady replied, taking her hand. "How could you have gone away for so long? Don't you know how worried I've been?"

"I'm sorry for making you worry, Grandmother. After settling the situation at Zhuiya, I made a detour to Anyang to visit my brother at the border camp. Yongxing is well, and he sends his regards. He says he'll come back to visit once he can."

"Excellent, excellent," her grandmother replied, her smile stretching even further. "When he returns, we must discuss the possibility of him staying in the capital and taking on an official post here. The border is much too dangerous for the eldest son of our family."

Zi-ning looked past the old lady's shoulder, just in time to see Lady Min step across the threshold, accompanied by Meiyan. Her stepmother's expression darkened when she heard what Old Madam Song said about Yongxing. Zi-ning scoffed.

This time I won't let you hurt my brother. I won't let you hurt any of us.

"Zi-ning, we didn't expect you to arrive so soon," Lady Min said, plastering a fake smile on her face.

"I'd already sent word that I would be returning today, didn't I? Unless the message didn't reach you?" Zi-ning said coolly.

"You should curtsey to the princess and greet her as 'Your Highness'!" a shrill voice suddenly barked from the side. It belonged to a lady-in-waiting from the palace that had joined the entourage when they entered the capital, sent to accompany the gifts that the king had bestowed upon Zi-ning for her service at Zhuiya.

Lady Min startled, appalled at the stern rebuke. The lady-in-waiting had not said a word to Old Madam Song because of the old lady's seniority, but the same treatment did not apply to Lady Min. Even though Zi-ning was only a princess of the third rank, it was still far higher in status than Lady Min.

Meiyan stepped forward, her delicate face flushed with indignation. "How dare you speak to my mother like this, don't you know—"

Crack!

The lady-in-waiting swung her palm across Meiyan's face, the slap ringing out loud and clear.

"I hope that will teach you to know your place," the lady said coldly. "Her Highness was personally appointed by His Majesty and must be treated with the necessary respect. Disrespecting the princess is a punishable offence."

Meiyan opened her mouth to argue, but Lady Min quickly grabbed hold of her wrist to hold her back. They were out on the main street and already the entourage had attracted the attention of many passers-by. It would not do to have Meiyan rail at the lady-in-waiting so publicly.

Lady Min bent her knees into a reluctant curtsey. "I apologise, Your Highness," she said.

Zi-ning merely smiled in response. Taking hold of her grandmother's arm, she said, "Why don't we go back inside, Grandmother? You must be tired, standing out here under the hot sun." Ignoring her stepmother completely, she led the old lady back into the manor, leaving everyone else to trail along behind them.

They made their way to the main hall, leaving Hana to bring the palace lady to Zi-ning's quarters to settle the gifts. Fresh cups of tea were poured, and plates of sesame cakes brought out—Zi-ning's favourite.

"If you were going to Anyang to visit Yongxing, you should have sent word earlier," Old Madam Song complained. "Things are not peaceful at the border. What if something had happened to you?"

"Grandmother, I'm fine, aren't I?" Zi-ning smiled. "Anyang is a vibrant and bustling city, and with General Du's army stationed there, it's as safe as the capital."

"You never know what could happen," her grandmother chided. "Going to Zhuiya was already dangerous enough, what more Anyang. Thankfully everything worked out for the best. Who would have thought that the king would confer the title of princess upon one of our family's daughters! Your father and I are so proud of what you've achieved, Zi-ning."

Who would indeed? Even Zi-ning wasn't certain why the king had done such a thing. Was it because of Zhenghuan?

Speaking of Zhenghuan, they had gone their separate ways upon entering the city, with him heading straight for the Minister for Justice's office. Judging from the time, there should be news fairly soon.

Sure enough, moments later, a stream of officers from the Ministry of Justice's Investigation Bureau came streaming into the main hall, much to the alarm of the ladies of the household. Zi-ning calmly chewed on her sesame cake, waiting to watch the show unfold.

"Officers, what is going on?" Old Madam Song asked.

"Who is Lady Min Jueying?" one of the officers demanded, surveying the faces in the room.

Everyone looked towards Lady Min, who was entirely bewildered by this interruption. "I am," she said slowly. "Is something the matter, Officers?"

"You are required to come with us to the Investigation Bureau to undergo investigation for an assassination case."

"What!" Lady Min exclaimed, horrified.

"Mother, what's going on? Why are they arresting you?" Meiyan asked, equally shocked by the development.

"Your brother, Official Min Fanye has been arrested for attempting assassination on Princess Zi-ning of the Third Rank—"

"What? There's no such thing! I—" Lady Min burst out.

"—the Lord of Shengzhou—"

"What!"

"—and Official Bai Shengwu of the Ministry of Protocol."

Lady Min's face had gone completely ashen. From the woman's colourful changes in expression, Zi-ning could already confirm that her suspicions had been correct. Lady Min was responsible for the attack upon her, except her stepmother had not expected for her to be escorted back to the capital by Zhenghuan and Shengwu.

"T-t-that is impossible! My brother could not have done such a thing. There must be some mistake," Lady Min stammered.

Old Madam Song frowned. "Officer, are you certain about this? And if it is Min Fanye who has been implicated, why are you here at the Han manor?"

"Official Min Fanye has made a full confession, and his confession identifies his sister, Lady Min Jueying, as the one who instigated him into committing this crime. Min Jueying, you will have to come with us to the bureau for investigation."

Lady Min frantically shook her head, backing away. "That's not possible. Fanye wouldn't have..."

Beside her, her daughter Meiyan said nothing, head bowed quietly as if none of this concerned her.

What a callous daughter you have, Lady Min. After everything you have done for her, she will do nothing for you in times of need.

But this was merely what her stepmother deserved. Guarding one's own interests above all else—that was the lesson she had imparted to her daughter, so she could not complain that Meiyan was not standing up for her now. If Meiyan opened her mouth to say anything, then it was likely that she would be hauled in for questioning as well, so it was in Meiyan's best interests to remain silent and let her mother take the fall.

"Mother, help me! I had nothing to do with this!" Lady Min was shrieking as two officers grabbed her by the arms to drag her towards the doors.

"If you are innocent then the Ministry of Justice will release you when they've verified your statement," the old lady said calmly. "If not..." Her wrinkled fingers tightened around the porcelain cup, and the look in her eyes took on a sharp edge.

The matriarch's meaning was clear. If Lady Min had anything to do with this assassination, then the Han family would not help her, for she did not deserve to be helped.

As the officers hauled Lady Min away, the latter still kicking and screaming, professing her innocence, Zi-ning smiled. She glanced at Meiyan, whose knuckles her gone white from wringing the silk handkerchief in her hands.

It'll be your turn eventually, Han Meiyan. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 4.5K 22
Wang Shu was a young boy who witnessed the traumatic death of his mother at the hands of a imperial guard, and he later grows up as a woman to concea...
815 16 13
It's the 1800s, and Charlotte is running. Running from judgmental eyes. Running from a failed marriage and a scornful mother-in-law. Suffering from a...
7.9M 461K 48
Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal illness. When he nearly dies from the att...
781 12 10
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets reincarnated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you've...