143 | Chanmin

By minclarity

|His high adulation makes me feel cloud nine really exists in this world. But I can never bring myself to acc... More

P R O LO U G E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
P L E A S E R E A D
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N

O N E

558 15 0
By minclarity

The winter has always been a hard challenge to pass for Kim Seungmin, an 18 year old ready to leave the school's boundaries and rules forever. And ever since the new year had started just six months ago, things haven't gotten any easier. A slight gust of wind blew his black hair all around as he held his satchel with two flimsy arms and a horrible posture; trying to trudge through the snow as an addition doesn't make it any easier too.

'You should come over to mine for a study session' his best friend, Han Jisung, had suggested to him earlier at school while Seungmin was reading the daily newspaper for their academy.

'I'd be fun. I could get some snacks on the way home and cook dinner. But you'd have to carry your study books over by yourself...is that alright?' he added, cocking his head to the right and trying to grab Seungmin's attention.

'Or maybe you could get a taxi and-'

'It's fine, Han. I'll get to yours before five' Seungmin had responded, still focusing on a section of the newspaper called "The Daily Bulletin" '

'Food isn't needed though. I can just get dinner on the way back before my train arrives'

'My mum insists, Seung. And there is no way I'm arguing with my mother over chips on a Thursday night or ever, really' Han replied, turning his school chair to face the boy with the ends of his fringe dyed a blonde.

'Well then...I guess it would be nice. What subjects exactly?'

'Math. I'm gonna fail real hard if I don't study up for it, I probably will either way though...oh! And science...and probably humanities...oh but then there is also Health-'

'Okay, Han, I get it. Why don't you go next door and see if Felix wants to come as well? I'm sure he'll benefit equally'

Han threw his head up to the ceiling and let out a huge exclaim in response, making some girls turn to look at him and a group of other boys in the corner look up from their phones in a questioning manner. Han has always been like this since Seungmin first met him: lazy, tired and a person that can easily let a ramble loose from their mouth. He never tries to suppress it below the surface.

'I can't be bothered, Seungmin. Yonbok can find out for himself'

'I don't think Felix would like you calling him that-'

'And I don't care!' Han replied, slapping the newspaper out of Seungmin's hands and looking at him with wide eyes. The rest of the paper fluttering beside his desk in silence.

'Can it just be...us, tonight? I know it may sound stupid but please, it's always so awkward when Felix is over at mine and no offense, but an exchange student like him from Australia isn't gonna make the cut so easily. He is always so weird and talkative-'

'Just like you then?' Seungmin thought within his head, while he listened to the rest of Han's speech about someone who never gets a chance to hang out with him.

'And beer, he always wants ginger beer. Like, I'm sorry, but ginger beer isn't in our house's fridge AND WE'RE NOT A DAMN SUPERMARKET. YOU CAN'T JUST DEMAND SOMETHING WE DON'T HAVE' he added, raising his voice.

So here Seungmin was, trudging through thick layers of snow and trying to not loose his balance with a bag as heavy as a rock on his left shoulder. He had left from the train station only a few minutes prior to walking through the snow infested park, meaning that Han's house was thankfully, only a block away. All of the stores nearby were already closed and the smell of rainfall lingered in the air above as the moon shone in the pitch black sky. The only light (besides a few lampposts) was the moon, staring right back at him high above. 

The cold began to bite at his temperature and before he knew it, after a simple rounding of the corner, he was met face to face with Han's house. Located on a small, quiet street, Han has always had the upper hand of the corner block. His house is small but enough to offer him, his parents and a little sister a place to call home. Something that people have a hard time finding in this world.

The lights were all on inside, lighting up the front garden and a few fences that blocked the sides of their home from others. A black cat began staring right at Seugmin from a window as he walked up the few stepping stones to the front door, not even blinking at the sight of the cold teenager. From then on, he could hear many footsteps and the smell of kimchi ramyeon floating through an ajar window to his right.

Han's house always smelled of freshly cooked goods with a slight tinge of spice.

Seungmin took one last look around the front (and stare at the cat) before knocking on the door with his clenched fist, lightly pounding but just enough to notify the owners. He could hear talking grow from the kitchen in response and a set of footsteps make it's way towards the door before entry was finally flung open.

But not by the person he expected.

'What's up, Seungmin?' a voice spoke in a curious manner 'it's good to see you made the safe travel here'

He was not Han. He was nothing like him. And the amount of times Seungmin has had to say this to himself annoys the hell out of him every time. His haircut has always been the same (a simple, short layered one with a fringe, but he always sweeps it to the side) as well as the colour: a pure chestnut brown. Something that always pulls people near him. He doesn't have that type of funny charisma Han holds and rather instead, a boy with knowledge in mind.

His very existence has never made Seungmin fond of him.

Rather, just annoyed.

'Lee...Lee know you're um...you're here...' he replied after a long silence, an invisible weight suddenly put on his shoulders after the very comment he left.

'I know right? Han texted me last minute and invited me to join your study session tonight at his place. Isn't it great? You won't have to help him alone, y'know what I mean?'

Seungmin tried searching for an answer before having his sight re-directed to Han, now standing beside Lee Know at the doorway with his body leaning against the frame and his eyes looking right at him.

'Welcome, Seungmin! I see Minho has already opened the door for you' Han said, looking at Lee Know in silence.

'Come in! You'll freeze out there' he added, pulling Seungmin through the door by the wrist to which he flinched at in surprise. 

Lee Know looked right at him as Han let go of his wrist, leaving Seungmin to rub it in slight hurt as they locked eyes.

'Minho needs to quit whatever he has going on' Seungmin thought to himself, as they followed Han into the kitchen to come face to face with a wrinkled lady chopping up lettuce at the front bench.

Ever since Han had introduced Minho to him two years ago, Seungmin had never felt comfortable around the boy. Or content, as a horrible bonus. Lee Know came from a rich family full of nothing but men and women spoiled by the generations before them and a pride filled house when Seungmin first met him. Sent to the most expensive high school in the country, it is no wonder when he first arrived no one would leave him alone.

And Han was one of them.

Luckily for him, Minho had taken a liking for Han (unlike the others that were ignored) and the two built up a solid bond. It wasn't until 3 months after they first met that Han had decided to introduce him to Seungmin, which the boy had never really liked.

Han had told Seungmin of a new boy that would be arriving to their school four months prior. Smart, intelligent and had a knack for wit, it was no wonder Han had gotten so exited for a person like him.

But Seungmin had always thought of him as just another student attending just another school. He never thought the hype was worth it. 

'How great to see you again, Seungmin! It's great that you three are scheduling these types of things!' the lady commented, putting down her knife in joy and hugging him around the neck.

'Two, actaully' Suengmin said back in his head, as they let go of one-another while he replied with a simple "hi".

'Mum, can he come up to my room now? We really have to study for these tests 'n stuff' Han announced from the hallway with a slight tinge of desperation is his voice.

'Oh Han, yes alright. Just, why don't you let Seungmin settle down first instead of rushing him up? And I want your room cleaned before I go up there again' she commented, chopping up the cabbage again.

Han looked at Minho once more in response, striking an invisible stake through Seungmin's emotions and a weird tension in the room arising a second time. And Seungmin could tell, without any words coming from his mouth, that Han was more than enthusiastic to bring up Minho.

He was ecstatic.

'Me and Minho...we cleaned up my room' Han said back, not taking his eyes off Han as his mother's face lightened up a bit.

This was starting to get annoying.

'Oh...okay. That's good that Minho helped you. Well then Seugmin, I guess you can join those two nutters now' she replied, pointing the knife at the stairs.

'But please keep it down, boys. Your father is trying to take a nap, Han, and I don't want him to get angry like last time alright?-'

'Yeah yeah, I get it' Han replied, putting his arm around Seungmin's neck and ushering him to the first step of the stairs without his permission.

'We'll keep it quiet, Minho, Seungmin and I'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 8.8K 74
Jisung, the new kid Minho, the jock Chan, the nice popular guy Felix, the stoner Changbin, the emo Jeongin, the anime geek Seungmin, the nerd Hyunjin...
20K 905 20
Christopher and Hannah's father wants to retire and give the company to one of siblings, but on a condition - will give the company to the first one...
1K 36 12
"Your clothes are making me uncomfortable. Please take them off." The word "Alone" can suggest different things, 1: feeling alone 2: being alone 3:...
4.8K 146 12
Felix was an overworked medical student who hadn't seen his brother in years. The last thing Felix expected was for his brother to show up one night...