Violent Ashes | Tigris Snow

By nostalgiclogan

"Anyway my dearest, we still have the moon." the hunger games: the ballad of songbirds and snakes [multiple l... More

one.
three.
four.
five.
six.

two.

556 31 8
By nostalgiclogan

༺ Ꮺ ꒱ 🎞 ও

Judith sank deeper into the bathtub in her pale pink bathroom counting the flowered details of the tailed floor, her eyes bloodshot red as she her senses felt heightened and focused on her surroundings.

The soft wave of sunlight peaking through the window as Judith groaned in irritation the days events. Reaping day- perhaps the one day of the year Vanessa hovered over her daughters shoulders.

Judith hated reaping day, because of how overbearing and suffocating Vanessa could be. Questioning her every move, every conversation- it was all part of the game they played. To find an eligible companion for Judith. At a dinner with the President, the conversation of Judith's relationship status had sparked conversation. At her age her mother was already engaged to marry Calix Lexington, star pupil of the academy and heir to the Lexington fortune.

Judith knew her mother did not care for her feelings, she just wanted Judith out of the house. No longer her burden to carry. This was far from her assumption, her mother had said it to her herself.

Vanessa Lexington, a darling in the capitol. The epitome of grace and still, but behind closed doors a cold woman. Her expectations of her daughter suffocating her to the brink of extension.

Judith sometimes wished to be born again, and be whatever her mother wanted her to be. It seemed no matter what she did, nothing would be good enough. Not her friends, her style and certainly not own self. But on reaping day, the city would see nothing but an adoring mother.

And always in public.

The night of the first games, the Lexington's would host the grandest ball with politicians, socialites and the president themselves as guest. a Pool of the most influential and wealthiest families of panem, all in the hopes that Calix remains as head general of the peacekeepers.

With rumor's of unrest in the districts, it was a necessary effort to ensure the portrayal of Calix's firm control over each district.

Her head drifting in the water as she tried to recollect herself after the night she had. It became her routine in fact, wake up, dress for the academy and by night sneak in and out of her bedroom window, venturing into the city.

Turning her body in the bathtub as she looked to the empty bottle of Champaign lying on her nightgown. She felt herself feeling nauseous at the memory of drinking, promising herself every time she would never drink again, until she did.

Laying deeper into the lukewarm water, as though it could somehow cleanse her sins. Another night, with another she would not remember the name of. It seems as though she never could place the names to the faces.

When Judith opened her bedroom door she found her uniform hanging at the front of the racks of clothing she occupied in her bedroom. The bright coloured furs, feathers and silk an eyesore to her blue walls. She clung to the towel around her body as she began to dress.

Sitting in front of her mirror as she combed through her tangled hair. The comb struggling in her shaking hands as her eyes struggled to remain open. The door swinging open to reveal her mother. Vanessa's red curls tied back, dressed in an extravagant suit. Her green blouse embroider with pearls at its collar, with pants tailored to perfection. Standing behind Judith as she took the comb out of her hands. Her mothers grip hard on her scalp as she looked to Judith through the dressers mirror.

"This might be a difficult task, but can you pretend to not be drunk for today. You need to look presentable when you receive the prize." Her mother said "Starbo tells me that Sejanus has been singing your praises to your dedication as a student."

"Do you believe him?"

"In all honesty no." Vanessa answered "But I do know Starbo is desperate enough to hand the prize to you. That man will do anything to buy himself out of his problems. What better than having an old friends' daughter win the Plinth prize."

Judith winced as her mother braided her hair, feeling the roots of her hair nearly be pulled from her scalp "Why would he need to that? I thought dad had everything under control in district two or is there something-" Judith wondered.

From an early age Judith had realized that her family was friends to no one, no one that could not offer them a deal at hand. Because of Calix's disposition to the president, everyone seemed to want to be on good footing with the Lexington's. "Do you think the districts will-"

"The districts will do nothing." Vanessa affirmed "But you can imagine how they are this time of the year with the games underway. Those animals are always looking for a reason to start a fight Judith."

Her mother never hid her disgust to the districts, but who in the capitol did not. To her mother, they were deserving of a punishment. Vanessa had raised her to belief that all was well, life was simple before the war.

How could she not, when she benefited from everything the districts offered the capitol.

"Is it that difficult to imagine why?" Judith questioned looking at their reflections as she looked to her mothers stolid face "Would you be happy if one day I got taken from home, never to see me again."

To her words her mother cracked a smile "Please, they'd return you to us within a day."

Judith felt her manicured nails digging into the palm of her hands. Though she had come accustomed to her mothers remarks. Though no matter how old she would get, that did not make them hurt any less.

She understood she was a difficult person. She was arrogant, selfish and difficult, but a part of herself wondered if her mother was not supposed to love in spite of all of it? As Judith became older she started to understand, to her mother she could never be a daughter but rather a plagued doll she could dress up.

An old toy constantly being prodded and probed to look its best when an occasion arise. They'd return you to us within a day, her mothers word repeated itself in her head. Was she so unbearable that no one wanted her? Not even to kill her?

"Besides, if the districts are so unhappy with the games then maybe they should have never rebelled. It's their own fault if you think of it Judith." Vanessa wrapping a white ribbon around her ponytail as she stepped back "You've been spending too much time with that Plinth boy. You're starting to sound like him."

"No I don't, I just don't see reason for-" she could not finish her sentence as the scowl on her mothers face stared a hole right through her. Though she was pass the age of her mother hitting her with a hairbrush, the looks she gave her was still enough to make her feel like a five year old hiding in her wardrobe.

"Judith, that is enough." Vanessa warned "I expect your best manners for the next few days. I do not need you saying or even questioning matters that you do not want the answer to, do I make myself clear?"

Judith rolled her eyes as she felt the sharp sting of her nails digging through the skin. She nodded her head

"Remember, chin up, eyes wide and remember to smile. It makes you look pretty." Her mother exited her bedroom with a final remark. Judith opened her palms to see tiny specks of blood from the markings of her nails, wiping it off on with a scented tissue as she took one final look in the mirror.

She barely recognized herself. Her hair pulled back so tight she could feel a headache on its way to visit her. She took a sniff of her shoulder, still reeking of alcohol. Judith sighed as she drowned herself in perfumes reeked of roses and vanilla.

She forced herself to smile. Her reflection only showing a deranged girl looking back at her.

"Fuck it." She freed her hair, shaking it free from her mother as she placed a headband on her head. Not even on reaping day would she give her mother the satisfaction of making her into a doll.

Her walk to the academy nothing but hellacious as the run pierced through her exhausted eyes. Judith made her way into the Heavensbee Hall where all the students had already been gathered for the reaping ceremony.

She felt herself getting hot from climbing the stairs on a body that was feeling the effects of overestimating champagne. Judith felt as though she could choke from the stenches of mixed perfumes and refreshments.

"What a surprise this is. It's sober." a familiar voice sounded next to her. Even out of the corner of her eye she recognized his blonde locks. "Tell me, is it his name or face you won't be able to recognize today?"

"Today is not the day Coriolanus." She warned him. Linking to his arm as they entered the hall. "I'm minutes away from throwing up and your snide comments is all I will need." She playfully threated him.

Calling Coriolanus a friend was a far stretch, but they both kept to themselves and this somehow created room for comfort between the two. She did not think of him too much as a friend, rather someone she felt familiar with and he would say the same of her.

"Tigris tells me you were being difficult again, is this because of the oh so important ball tonight?"

"She's exaggerating, besides I wouldn't have been irritable if she wasn't sticking needles in and out of me." Judith retorted earning a smirk from Coriolanus

"It's not her fault you're too drunk to stand still." He replied "Even with all your perfume, you still reek of cheap wine and sweat. I suppose your mister man didn't think it was necessary to spend good money on expensive dinner."

To this Judith held her hand to her mouth as she forced herself not to laugh. "That was very detailed, are you talking out of experience?" Her eyes travelled across the hall as their eyes met, the flash of the camera not removing his soft eyes from hers.

She let go of Coriolanus arm as she sauntered to him. Finally a kind face, Judith thought to herself. Despite her mothers view on them she seemed to enjoy his company. To others he was nothing more than district, to her Sejanus was a friend. Someone she was able to trust- the only person she could trust.

"Well, don't you look pretty today." She greeted him as she felt her cheeks become flush. Sejanus dressed in a soft charcoal gray suit with a blinding white shirt offset by a paisley tie, perfectly cut that emphasized his tall and angular frame. To Judith, he looked just Capitol as the rest of them

"That's very kind of you Judes." He acknowledged handing her a glass of water "This means you want a favor or you might be sick."

"Very funny." She laughed "I just wanted to thank you for covering for me. If my mother were to find out that I've been sleeping through half of my classes she would-" She could not finish her sentence, because even the thought managed to frighten her.

What would her mother do? She would not hold back on a punishment, unless her father intervened? She might kill me, burn me or worse send me away without a dime to my name, Judith thought to herself. She brushed off her thought. "Only in doing so she, as well as your father think I'm worthy of the Plinth prize."

"Don't worry, that won't be much of a factor today." Sejanus reassured her "You're wearing your hair down today, that's a first."

"Mother insisted on doing it. Though I would say she attempted in picking them out from the roots." Judith wrapped words into a lighthearted joke, as she did whenever she spoke out of the house. She refused to even see herself as a victim, she preferred playing the role of the clown.

"Well, you look pretty as always." Sejanus complimented her.

She trailed behind him as she recognized her classmates in conversation, undoubtingly about them.

"If I hear one more time how immoral these Hunger Games are, I'll put him in the arena myself-" Festus complained turned to Sejanus along with Judith behind him. Her irritation growing as she felt their eyes on the pair of them. The Plinths had come to the Capitol roughly a decade ago, and still their manner of speaking to Sejanus was nothing but disrespect and distain. As though he was a virus. I suppose we have that in common, she thought to herself.

"Sejanus, you made it to the reaping for once." he sneered

Sejanus unnerved by Festus's remark "And you made it to graduation, we're both shocked."

"So, who won the prize?" Arachne asked disputing the two

"Oh no, I'm not going to ruin my father's big day. No one here actually likes him, but they do love his money. You know what that's like, don't you Arachne?" It was moments such this that reminded Judith why she liked Sejanus, he wouldn't let them take a bite of him.

She replied with a respectful nod taking a sip of the water he poured into her champagne glass. "I suppose we should take our seats." he followed behind he r to a special section of chairs set for the mentors. She found herself in between Sejanus and Coriolanus, loosening her buttoned collar.

"How tantalizing to see all of your shining young faces on this auspicious day." Dr. Volumnia Gaul spoke. A woman that made Judith uncomfortable. As a young girl Dr. Gaul had always scared her, as she grew older she understood why her younger self did.

The woman was not only head gamemaker but mad. The way she spoke about the games, as though it was another one of her experiments. As though life was an animal she could probe, poison, kill and bring back to life.

"I am Dr. Volumnia Gaul, your humble head gamemaker in charge of the war department and all its affiliated concerns. Today I have broken free from my laboratory to examine you all, the leaders of the future of panem. I won't be around forever after all." She spoke with a sick amusement

"And now I am greatly honored to introduce to you the creator of the Hunger Games himself, Dean Casca Highbottom."

From the back of the hall Judith heard the cough of their esteemed Dean. Being who she was, finding herself where she was almost every night she recognized the vial of morphling he took a quick swig of.

"Select students, faculty and of course Doctor Gaul." He acknowledged them moving forward to the stage "I have summoned you all here today for the 10th annual reaping ceremony, in which we choose two children from each district to throw into the Capitol arena to fight to the death in the Hunger Games."

Judiths grip tightened around her glass as her legs nervously started bouncing. She felt a hand on her knee and recognized it as Coriolanus's. Though it was not so much to comfort her, but rather to cease her irritable mannerism

"Don't touch if you can't afford me." She whispered as she smacked his hand away, both sharing a coy smirk with one another

"I can't imagine that it would cost too much then."

Casca Highbottom continued overlooking the young faces of the capitols future leaders "And here our own prospects all waiting to hear the results, hard stacked in this prestigious institution, eager to learn who's won the Plinth prize. In the golden future. However I am here to tell you that there has been a change of plans this this year. One final assignment to prove your worth."

Judith felt her eyes grow heavy as the exhaustion on her body was setting in "Because the esteemed citizens of the Capitol have grown bored of the games and simply aren't watching anymore, if the games are to continue at all, we need an audience." Casca Highbottom announced with a sense of amusement "So, head gamemaker Dr. Gaul stepped into incentivize patriotic values with her own unique flair, starting with all of you. The Plinth Prize will no longer be determined by who has the best grades, but why who is the best mentor in the games."

Quiet gasps and disbelief could be heard amongst the students. Judith felt her heart drop at the implications of this. Her grades no longer mattered, but she was far from being a good enough mentor. She did not need the prize, nor did she want it but her mother and father would want her to have it. As a trophy to all the other accolades they had accomplished.

"Obviously the best mentor will be the one whose tribute wins the games?" Festus spoke up from behind them

"What if I get a pathetic little runt girl from one of the poor districts?" Arachne added "They're just gonna die within the first few minutes like last years and the year before that!"

Casca Highbottom rolled his eyes at the students arguments "Your role is to turn them into spectacles, Miss Crane, not survivors. Victory in the games is only of our considerations. Your future rests on this last project." He slurred as the Morphling was taking a quicker grasp on him, though to the untrained eye it could not be told, unless they were Judiths

"Oh, and should it be that you are caught cheating to give your tributes an unfair advantage, you'll have no future at all." he pulled out a crumpled piece of paper out of his robe "Ho there" Casca Highbottom slurred

"Read you a name, then who you get. District one, boy goes to..." And so he went on and on as Judith became impatient after her name had not been called by district four. She prayed a silent prayer that she would receive someone she could mold into a victor. Strong and a worthy advisory, one who would fight on their own without having her to put too much work in.

"Dictrict 8, girl, Judith Lexington."

When Judiths eyes met the monitor, she felt the itch of her palms when she was her tribute. A young girl no older than perhaps thirteen years old. The naivety written across her face. So small and gentle. Judith had never cared much for the games, and had never cared much for even the tributes but this was different.

"That's a child." She muttered. How am I suppose to make of her a victor? A killer, she asked herself

"Now do you see what the games are?" Sejanus asked her quietly

AUTHORS NOTE :

Snow when Judith can't remember who she hooked up with

This is the most I've written for any chapter ever but I wanna get straight into the plot of the book / movie and then work from there on out.

I'm rereading the book so I'm gonna be making a lot of updates and I might also have a finnick odair book that I'll publish soon

💌

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 597 19
you can't, you can't catch me now coming like storm into your town. Β© lishwritcs, 2023 cover - @-mxyfieldz. the ballad of songbirds and sna...
289K 6K 30
"don't make promises you can't keep." COMPLETED
23K 532 26
"Arn't you aware? Snow lands on top" "Well good thing i have fire running through my veins." __________________ Adara, her named meant fire. And sh...
12.9K 911 5
"The show's not over until the Mockingjay sings." ( THE HUNGER GAMES - MOCKINGJAY ) ( katniss everdeen x male oc )