The Lost Chronicles of a Vill...

By savirakkin

Naomi's existence is tied to the System that enables her to transmigrate into the world of novels. She became... More

E X T R A S
Prologue
ARC ONE | Don't Blame a Daydreamer
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 13

110 7 9
By savirakkin

''My head has always been up in the clouds and now that I've come down from heaven, I can only look at him, and think, "he is my reason." I never thought falling from heaven will feel so good.'

- An Excerpt from Don't Blame a Daydreamer, Marianne's POV

The quest progress regarding Levi's writer's block was at three over five. However, reaching the last part of the quest was always difficult, even though she made a seamless and effortless progression in the earlier parts. Pushing past the fourth mark would not be easy, since it usually required effort and most importantly time.

Even Louisa's quest would not progress until a month later, likely once the fashion show was deemed successful.

"Maybe I can help?" Naomi offered, hesitation laced around her tone, pitching her question in a high cadence. Her lips twisted in a slight grimace, looking uncertain about how to proceed, though her insecurity did not stop her from continuing. "I'm not an expert when it comes to writing, but maybe I can help you find inspiration instead? Of course, if it's alright with you. I don't want to overstep."

[LEVI'S BLOCK QUEST: 4/5]

[LEVI'S FAVORABILITY: 74/100]

The initial shock in his expression melted into a radiant smile, his happiness etched in the creases at the corner of his smiling eyes. "Are you kidding me? I would love it if you help me with my problem. If you can, you'll simply be my goddess."

"Goddess?" Naomi repeated with an incredulous laugh—not because it was particularly laughable; rather, he surprised the laughter out of her. "You calling me a friend is more than enough. No need to exaggerate like that."

Levi grinned, a hint of cheek in the dips of his dimples. "Well, someone here has to treat you right after all, and I decided to take the task for myself."

[LEVI'S IMPRESSION: I have to show her that Rowen isn't worth shit. If he isn't willing to treat her right, then other people can. She doesn't have to rely on Rowen to find happiness.]

Naomi skirted her gaze from Levi to the table, tilting her head until her right ear touched her shoulders, as if she was struck shy by his proclamation.

"Thanks, Levi," she said. "You're a good friend."

[LEVI'S FAVORABILITY: 76/100]

"And you're a good friend of mine," Levi returned, a ghost of a smile across his lips, his cheeks tinged with the barest hint of pink, rubbing a thick strand of blond hair at his nape between his fingers.

Naomi smiled. She only needed to guarantee he remained a true, loyal friend; because, unless she sealed their loyalty through completing their quests, their favorability would remain fickle and any chance of betrayal could occur.

She wasn't going to allow that to happen, especially with Levi's kind of character. Levi was the type of person who was great as a friend, but terrifying as an enemy. She had to be careful before Marianne could get to him and ruin all the work she built.

It didn't take long for Levi to leave soon after making plans to see each other this weekend in their quest to find him some sort of inspiration. He took most of the noise with him when he left, their schoolmates now fixated on their food rather than the fact someone as infamous as Levi had come into their side of the campus.

Louisa appeared the moment Levi left the premises, holding a tray with their food, staring at Naomi with a wide-eyed gaze. An ambiguous expression was over her face, stuck in between awe and astonishment. She sat on the seat across Naomi, sliding the tray on the table, and leaned her head slightly forward.

"Was that Levi Lee just now?" she asked with a thumb pointed over her shoulder, indicating the direction where Levi disappeared. "I didn't know you know him."

[LOUISA'S IMPRESSION: Naomi's never the type to befriend a guy because she was afraid Rowen would get the wrong idea. But it seems Naomi knows Levi well. How come I've never heard of it?]

It was no wonder why Louisa was surprised. Rowen had such great control over the Original's life, impacting her life from her diet to her relationships. The Original made Rowen her entire world, her focal point, to the point that she was blinded. Too immersed was she with the love she felt for the person she considered Prince Charming, the Original never realized she was drowning and killing herself in the process.

In a way, Naomi couldn't fully blame Rowen for the Original's actions because she, herself made her own choices in the hopes he would notice her sincerity and finally return her feelings. She was the one who chose him, again and again, and ignored everyone's warnings against him. She stubbornly clung onto him like he was her last lifeline, despite how blatantly he manipulated her feelings whenever he thought she was falling out of love.

If a tiny bit of hope could save a drowning, desperate man at the end of his rope, what more a mere slip of a girl who was desperately in love for more than a decade?

"I recently made friends with him, it's no big deal," Naomi replied, shrugging her shoulders as she helped herself with the French fries. "We met yesterday after"—she cleared her throat, a wince passing through her features, leaving a trace of a grimace behind—"Rowen rejected me. He comforted me a bit and helped distract me from what happened. He's very friendly and kind, and I saw no reason why I shouldn't be friends with him."

Remembering how broken up Naomi had been must've lowered Louisa's guard, if the way her eyes becoming a gentle curve with a tender smile gracing her lips was any indication.

"So, that's why you disappeared in the morning yesterday," Louisa remarked, her voice soft and considerate. "You were with Levi?"

"Yes, he had matters to take care of, so I decided to leave the school with him yesterday rather than stay longer. I didn't want to see Rowen again so soon after I was rejected." Naomi bored her eyes into her friend's, fluttering long lashes to give a doe-eyed and innocent appearance reminiscent of the female lead in this circle. "I'm sorry for worrying you when I left. To be honest, I felt really embarrassed when Rowen rejected me so loudly in front of everyone. I didn't want you to see me as someone... pathetic."

[LOUISA'S FAVORABILITY: 97/100]

"Naomi, the last thing that you are is pathetic," Louisa immediately refuted, her voice ringing with a vehement conviction that would've rattled Naomi's core if she wasn't the way she was. Her friend grabbed her hands across the table and gave it a squeeze, as if assuring her of her allegiance to her. "You are a brave and kind girl, and a great friend. Don't let Rowen make you feel otherwise. He's the one missing out, trust me."

A smile tugged the corner of her lips, although her bottom lip quivered for a split second. "I don't feel so brave, to be honest. But I do know I have to move on. I can't let Rowen stop me from doing things I want to do. I... I am Naomi Cunningham. It's about time I remember that. Kael is right. I have to stay away from Rowen, to stop seeing him in such favorable light, for my own good."

[LOUISA'S IMPRESSION: I'm glad she's seeing the truth for what it is and that Mikhael talked some sense into her earlier. It's a pity. Rowen doesn't even realize he just lost the one person who truly cared about him. Well, pity for him, but good for Naomi.]

Naomi hid a smile as she popped a French fry into her mouth.

The seed had been planted, and now all she had to do was watch it grow and enjoy the fruits of her labor.

After stuffing their stomachs full with their lunch, Naomi and Louisa decided to take a stroll around campus. The sun had long since disappeared behind a thick cloud of gray, but Naomi figured it wouldn't rain until late in the afternoon, hence their little outing.

Since they began studying at the academy when they were twelve, there were only a few unfamiliar sights around the campus, like the new swimming pool at the back of the gym and the newly constructed rose tunnel that led to the greenhouse everyone seemed to be fond of going nowadays since the school year began. She knew it would lose its novelty soon enough.

If ordinary people heard these kinds of additions in an educational institution, they would've rallied and raged at such blatant disregard for money and the overly display of wealth and privilege. But this was a circle—one of the many worlds of novels. There would be a touch of surrealism and absurdity written in the environment, a factor considered normal and ordinary here.

This wasn't even the strangest thing she heard nor seen since she became a Traveler.

All these children in the academy had too much money and too much time in their hands. They certainly weren't afraid of taking advantage of their status and money to do the things they liked without fear of consequences. Fortunately, the administration hired professional teachers with a master's degree under their belt, so it remained to be an upstanding institution despite most of the indifferent students.

Students didn't come here to study much, but to form a social network with the next generation of heirs and heiresses. They were here to form a connection, whether personal or professional, so they would be able to boost their social status. The goal was to make a lasting relationship advantageous to both family and business, whether through friendships or marriages.

It was a fake world meant for fake people; it was rare to see something or someone so genuine; written as it was by the author.

That was the reason why Marianne's existence was so unique in this fake world, because she was written by the author to be the only real thing in a world of glamorous illusions and beautiful lies. Not even the Original could compete to her, despite her superior status, title, and upbringing, because she was the villainess—the female supporting character—meant to show the disparity between the fake and the real.

Thus, the author sealed the Original's fate.

Naomi and Louisa went into the garden, following the stone path leading to the gazebo.

There were students loitering when they got there. Seeing them, the students got up and left without Naomi nor Louisa saying a word. No one protested when they gave up the gazebo. Of course, who would even dare try to defy the princess of the Cunningham family and the daughter of the academy's director?

"Ah, this is such a nice place," Louisa remarked, sinking into the pillows and cushions that concealed the stone bench of the semi-round gazebo. She lifted her nose and noisily smelled the air full of flowery scent, not bothering with propriety with a genuine friend in company. "I knew it was a good idea to convince my mother to add this gazebo in the garden. It's such a relaxing place."

"It's one of your finer ideas for sure," Naomi agreed as she gracefully leaned her side into the cushions, the softness welcoming her pliant body like a warm embrace. She laid on her side, one of her arms splayed down the length of her torso, her hand on her thigh, acting like an Egyptian Pharaoh.

Her eyes wandered around the garden, surrounded by the blooming rose bushes the school director planted at the behest of her daughter. Louisa was an only child, much like Naomi, but their family circumstances differed from each other. Louisa was showered with an endless amount of affection and love by her parents despite their busy schedules.

It was written in the novel when Marianne visited Louisa's ancestral home that Louisa's parents had more involvement in raising her than most people in the upper class. Even the Original was raised mostly by her nannies and the butler than her parents. Part of the reason why the Original never treated Louisa kindly was because of this gap.

Naomi looked at Louisa. "By the way, I have something to give you."

At her confession, Louisa suddenly straightened her back, blinking eager eyes at her. "Present? What present?"

[LOUISA'S IMPRESSION: This is quite new. Naomi has never given me a present before, not without asking something from me. Not that I need any from her! Being her friend is enough for me. But I can't deny I'm excited. What is she going to give me?]

A coquettish smirk curled her lips upwards. She patted the spot next to her and waited until Louisa was comfortable before bringing out a small, square-shaped box from her pocket. She could feel Louisa hitch a breath beside her once she opened the box and revealed the teardrop diamond earrings. It glinted despite the lack of sunlight, emitting a light of its own that was hardly irresistible.

[LOUISA'S FAVORABILITY: 98/100]

"I-is that...?" Louisa gasped, a hand to her mouth, disbelief leaving her wide-eyed. She did not even reach for her gift, as her hands shook.

"Yes, these are the earrings from the Princess Charlotte's jewelry collection," Naomi confirmed her silent question.

"And it's for me?" she asked, her mouth dropping open.

Who wouldn't be surprised to receive a gift at least fifty million in the price market?

Naomi knew Louisa admired this collection. It was written in the novel that the Original used the earrings as an incentive for Louisa to trick Rowen into staying in the same room as her during a school field trip. With the promise of such precious earrings, Louisa agreed. She failed however, which earned her Rowen's ire.

Louisa tried explaining and defending herself, but Rowen already blacklisted her, which cost most of her family's wealth and reputation. It got so bad, even Ignus Academy lost a number of students. Then, when she asked for the Original's help, she was turned away.

Louisa had been heartbroken when her best friend rejected her and threw her to the wolves herself. If Marianne hadn't intervened and defended Louisa to Rowen, her family would've been buried in bankruptcy. Such was the power of the female lead.

The earrings were a catalyst. It made Louisa realize that the Original was never her true friend, that she was only using her to make herself feel superior. Thus, she turned to Marianne for comfort, because when she nearly lost everything, Marianne was the only person willing to help her.

Now though, Naomi was giving her the earrings instead of using it against her. She prepared this earlier this morning, before she discovered the circle's consciousness was now fighting against her attempts to change the plotline. Thankfully, this was another plot point that the circle's consciousness wouldn't be able to use against her.

"Yes, it's for you." Naomi took out one earring from the box, cradling the diamond in a gentle hold, and placed it in Louisa's right ear. She took the other one and did the left ear. She leaned back, smiling in self-satisfaction at seeing the earrings dangling from her friend's ears. "It looks so pretty on you. Do you like it?"

Louisa jerked, as if snapping out of her daze, and softly trailed a finger on the diamonds that now sparkled from her ears. Her eyes were still wide, suspended in disbelief.

"Why?" she asked, her voice timid and soft.

[LOUISA'S IMPRESSION: Oh gosh, no, I can't cry in front of Naomi. I have to hold in the tears. But gosh, I'm so touched! This is such an expensive present. I've been eyeing this for a while now, but I knew I couldn't buy it recklessly, but Naomi gave this to me. Why did Naomi give this? It's too much!]

"It's because, for a long time, I've been taking your affections for granted, and only recently have I realized you've done more for me than I gave you credit for." Naomi held Louisa's hand in a gentle grip, gaze boring deeply into her own. "Thank you so much, for staying by my side and being such a good friend, when I wasn't being one. You've supported me especially these past two days so. I know this present doesn't compare to the kindness you've given me, but please accept these earrings as my gratitude and apology."

"You have nothing to apologize for!" Louisa refuted, shaking her head vigorously and holding Naomi's hand back. "You're not a bad friend, Naomi. You've been so good to me. I've always considered you a true friend, so don't apologize, okay?"

Naomi's eyes sparkled with unshed tears as she nodded at her, trembling lips quirked into a gentle smile. Holding each other's hand, they settled into a comfortable silence, leaning against each other's sides.

"What time should we get back to our classroom?" Louisa asked after a few moments, her head on Naomi's shoulder.

Naomi could hear from her tone of voice how reluctant she was to go back to their chaotic and noisy classroom, now that she was surrounded with such a serene ambience. She looked at her wristwatch and made a contemplative noise at the back of her throat.

"I think it's best to return now. It's nearly 1:00 PM."

"We just got here," Louisa whined, even as she got up with a short grunt.

"It's not as if we can skip classes. It's still the first week of school. We have to be on our best behavior."

"Yeah, that's just you," Louisa pointed out, making Naomi pout playfully at her.

Just as they were about to stand up and leave for their classroom, a familiar voice stopped Naomi from stepping out of the gazebo. The voice was faint, suggesting that the speaker was a few feet away from them. Naomi turned to the direction of the sound and it wasn't long before two figures emerged from the cluster of trees surrounding the gazebo.

Marianne.

Green eyes met hers. Naomi relaxed her expression into a gentle one when Marianne smiled at her. Seeing her felt like looking directly into the sun. It burned and blinded, imprinting the image of her into her memory. Marianne made everything appear brighter; she shined even with the bleak sky and lack of sun. But it wasn't Marianne that had fully captured Naomi's attention, making her freeze on the spot.

No, it was the person beside her.

He stood tall with one hand inside of his pocket, looking effortlessly lackluster with dark, hooded eyes, and feathery red hair falling over the side of his face, nearly reaching his chin. He was quite slim, especially wearing a slightly baggy school uniform, but his stone-cold face—such a contrast with his fiery hair—was quite pretty, more feminine features prominent than masculine.

Naomi knew him quite well, afforded by the memories the Original left behind like residues of her departed soul.

[CHARACTER INFO: LUTHOR KADE

OCCUPATION: Student at Ignus Academy

AGE: 18 years old

PERSONALITY: Confident, Studious, Ambitious

FAVORABILITY: 94/100

IMPRESSION: Naomi's here. She's finally here. I knew I'd see her again.

STATUS: Villain]

Luthor Kade, also known as the illegitimate son of Cain Kade and brother of Rowen Kade, was the villain of the novel. While the Original's role was to set the stage between the main leads to fall in love, Luthor was in the unique position that would push the main characters to become winners in life.

He was the antagonist, the one the main leads had to fight against to finally get the happy ending of the novel, and the one obstacle proving to the world the main leads were meant to be together.

Luthor was acknowledged by the Kade family but was barely tolerated in their society due to his 'impure' bloodline. His mother was a waitress who had an affair with Cain and got pregnant the same year that Cain's legal wife was pregnant. When the Kade family found out about Luthor, they bribed and threatened his mother to give up her parental rights, which she eventually did, without putting much of a fight.

With his mother practically selling him to his father, Luthor had no choice but to grow up in the Kade household where he was treated more like a servant and less like a son from a prominent family. Like all other things cliché, he met the Original when he was young, the same day the Original met Rowen for the first time. The Original was the first person who treated him kindly during his tumultuous stay with the Kades.

Thus, Naomi was presented with her current dilemma for the second time that day.

Because Luthor was in love with the Original.

"Naomi! We meet again!" Marianne greeted her with blatant enthusiasm, immediately approaching her with a closeness resembling those of best friends.

Naomi stepped out of the gazebo to meet her, Louisa trailing behind her. Marianne's companion stayed back, silently watching Naomi without letting their gazes collide, as if he was avoiding looking at her.

Luthor never interacted with the Original since the first time they met, since Rowen made sure to keep her away from him while also badmouthing him to her. Rowen, at that time, liked the Original's attention on him, and didn't want Luthor to monopolize her. He did everything he could to poison Luthor against her that by the time they did meet again a few years later, the Original already hated him.

Luthor had no choice but to keep himself away, watching from afar—loving her from afar—getting more and more obsessed with everything about her. He stayed away enough, not wanting to catch the Original's ire, but after finding out about her and Rowen's engagement, contracted it might be, he decided to let her go.

He left the country and lived abroad, and by the time he came back, thinking that the Original was happy with her married life with Rowen, he learned too late about what Rowen did to the Original, her mind already far too gone.

It was his greatest regret and sorrow, to lose the person he loved the most, propelling him to take the role of the villain. It was too bad that he failed, the protagonists' auras too strong for him to attack successfully. No one could easily beat a protagonist's halo, especially not a villain.

"Hello, Marianne," Naomi greeted with a demure nod of her head, blinking her eyes twice, before hesitantly continuing, a blush staining her tan cheeks, "Hello, Luthor. It's been a while."

Luthor's shoulders jerked when Naomi's gaze flitted to his direction, directly locking eyes with his. His eyelashes fluttered, his silent astonishment giving way for the hint of pink creeping to the top of his ears.

[LUTHOR'S FAVORABILITY: 96/100]

[LUTHOR'S IMPRESSION: She's looking at me. She's finally looking at me. She doesn't look at me with disgust anymore. Has she finally... has she finally realized Rowen isn't good for her?]

Despite knowing she was clearly, madly in love with his younger brother, Luthor seemed to genuinely like her. Unfortunately for him, even though this 'Naomi' standing before him didn't love Rowen, she was still a taken and married woman. He would have to turn his feelings to someone else.

"Naomi," he said quietly, sweeping his gaze to her entire figure, anxiety lurking at the corners of his small smile. It seemed he was still afraid that she would treat him with prejudice. "It's nice to see you again."

"You two know each other?" Marianne inquired, innocence blanketing her luminous eyes as she blinked at them.

"He's... an old friend," Naomi answered after a moment of hesitation, looking fleetingly at Luthor's softening face before looking away to Marianne.

"I see!" she chirped, her cheeks rounding when her lips lifted into an exuberant grin. "What a coincidence!"

[MARIANNE'S FAVORABILITY: 40/100]

[MARIANNE'S IMPRESSION: Naomi knows this cute guy? No wonder Rowen didn't return her feelings! How can he, when she knows and talks with such a cute guy? I have to warn her Rowen might not like her if she does things like this. Guys don't like to see girls acting like hypocrites. The least that she can do is be loyal if she's really in love with him! I've already decided to become their matchmaker! This guy shouldn't break my ship like this!]

What in the world have I just read?

Naomi caught herself before her jaw could drop at the sheer absurdity of Marianne's thoughts, the extent of her reaction merely her eyebrows twitching.

It seemed that the female lead was truly eager and determine to see her and the male lead get together, so eager in fact she was labeling Naomi as someone unfaithful to their first love, with her favorability dropping at least three points from the original forty-three.

Marianne truly wanted Naomi to be with her first love. The same first love that humiliated and rejected her in front of everyone. The same first love that threw their friendship—worth nearly a decade—to her face without even consideration of her feelings. The same first love that Marianne wanted to pair up with her.

There was seriously something wrong with Marianne, and she hid it behind innocent questions and cheery smiles. Naomi didn't think even Marianne was aware of how absurd her thoughts were, which was just as worst as knowing them. Ignorance excused no one. Just because Marianne didn't know how insensitive her remarks were, didn't mean she wasn't wrong about them. This kind of insensitivity paired well with her naivety.

Still, Naomi gave Marianne her signature gentle smile, the one the Original spent time perfecting in the mirror. It was the same smile that had fooled everyone into thinking she was a kind and delicate girl who couldn't hurt a fly.

"Yes," she said, "what a coincidence, indeed."

At least, it would be, if she hadn't planned it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

560K 23.9K 87
After enduring years of pain as a consequence of being confined by my Yandere stepbrother, I was finally freed from my misery by an unfortunate house...
280K 12K 55
I, Miyazaki Daichi was transported inside my sister's favorite otome game as an unknown character. And that said character is the brother of one of t...
16.6K 472 30
• What if you got into a book and woke up as a character in that book? • Well... this is the story of a girl who has a depressing life getting a sec...
30.8K 1.9K 115
"The Priestess" is a very well-known otome game that turned into a light novel become a manga and got adapted into an anime. Hadley was very obsessed...