Queen of Ashes │ Season 1 │Th...

By beccaprimrose

✨ SEASON 1 OF A VAMPIRE ROMANCE STORY "QUEEN OF ASHES": "It took one day for her life to turn upside down. Fr... More

START HERE (story info)
Prologue
1 │Evening audience
2 │The promise
3 │Mother's daughter
4 │The lake experience
6 │Questions
7 │The Ruby Dagger
8 │Short terms
9 │Change of plans
10 │The explanation
11 │Leander
12 │The stew
13 │Nyamene
14 │A lonely lamb
15 │The fourth companion
16 │Apology
17 │The Mourning Sea
18 │Storm
19 │State of denial
20 │Docking
21 │Forladrin
22 │Hunting time
23 │Crucial explanations
24 │Spitfire
25 │The Ivy Forest
26 │Blurry tales
27 │Welcome to Lorium - part I
28 │Welcome to Lorium - part II

5 │Setting off

29 2 0
By beccaprimrose

Three horses—Frida being one of them—waited in front of the back courtyard. They were saddled with large pouches, mostly belonging to Freya since she was the one moving out and on the way to her new home and life.

The farewell committee was intentionally small. Together with her father, she had decided that it would be better this way. After all, the knowledge about creatures accompanying her was confidential and the less people witnessed their appearance, the better. Chances that anyone would suspect their true nature were low, however they didn't need to risk it.

Freya had to admit as well, that the timing and place were also to her benefit for another reason—showing herself all vulnerable and teary-eyed wasn't high on her to-do list.

The sun had already begun to go down and Freya had to admit that she couldn't have imagined a more beautiful setting for her departure than the summer evening bathed in the rays of the setting sun. If only she could somehow capture this moment for eternity. Or stop in time and stay in this borderline moment for awhile. She knew she couldn't savor it though, for why, along with the last rays of the sun, her traveling companions were to appear and their journey was set to begin.

After that nightmare of an evening audience, she had only a few days to prepare. Because their activity timelines were naturally different, she didn't have any problems avoiding both vampires. Well, maybe except for that toe-curling scene at the lake. Every time she thought about that she couldn't avoid blushing, feeling as embarrassed as oddly curious about the Prince himself.

She was lucky he had the same idea as her and went to the royal gardens. Freya would have ended up at the bottom of the lake if not for his fast thinking. She was glad of him saving her life but also utterly ashamed at what state he had to rescue her in.

She was naked, for goodness' sake. Freya hadn't even thought about wearing panties under the nightgown before she stormed off her chambers. She didn't catch him staring but the mere thought that he had an opportunity to see everything, truly terrified her. His brother was now officially her betrothed. How would he react to hearing of his human bride's night hobbies?

Cursing every time the topic came to her mind, she tried to focus on matters that didn't attract such heated emotions.

Giselle did help her with packing but everything else had to be personally done by her. She had to close some affairs she was taking care of and meet with people who had to take over her duties from now on. Finally, she also had to meet with her father several times to discuss certain details of her ill-starred marriage. If it weren't for the topic, Freya would have been delighted with the thought of numerous meetings with her father. Working with the King was always a pleasure, even if the problems were challenging and cases—difficult to solve. Her dad was a patient, well-balanced king who made mostly wise decisions, so she could learn a lot.

However, as one could imagine, discussing her marriage was not a simple matter for both. Especially since representatives of King Cassius were also present at several meetings. They were talking about the assurances that this marriage would sufficiently protect the people of Carda from any kind of vampire assault. They discussed the journey as well. Avoiding the Prince's gaze came as a challenge back there, but Freya managed through it somehow.

From what she had learned—they had a long way ahead of them, and certainly not the easiest. The vampire lands were far up northeast. To get there, they had to travel through the thick woods of Carda, then cross the Mourning Sea—waters known for their fondness of lonely sailors—and when someone could say their journey should pass its most interesting and dangerous points, they had to break through the Ivy Forest.

Legends say that these woods have never been crossed. However, judging by the presence of King Cassius's emissaries—this was not entirely true. Nevertheless, both the Prince and Qadir were not too effusive in describing what awaited them there. It was a bit unsettling for Freya, but no more than the mere fact of traveling in the company of two bloodsuckers. That probably should disturb her a little bit more at the moment.

"Will you visit us soon, big sister?" Eloise's soft and quiet voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"I'd love to, darling, but to get where we're going, we have to break a vast distance. I don't know when we will see each other." Seeing the first tears in her sister's eyes, Freya took her little sister in her arms. "I promise I'll do everything to make it happen as soon as possible though."

She was telling the truth. She was going to do her best to be back home one day. But she had no idea how long it would take her to do so as well as what exactly she would have to do to be allowed to, if ever. Her siblings could have been fully grownups until then but they didn't need to know that. They were now too young to understand her kind of sacrifice.

Emmett quietly crept up to the sisters and joined the hug. He was a naturally reticent child—the complete opposite of Eloise. But even though his rather guarded demeanor, Freya could tell that their parting was very hard for him too. She deeply hoped that her father would support them while she was gone. She knew the Queen had no intention of bringing up the subject of Freya's departure, so the children could only count on one of their parents. With time, they should also get a full explanation of her sudden disappearance. Freya believed at least her father would tell them everything as they matured.

"You know I love you very, very much?" She felt tears gathering in her eyes as well. "I'm going to think about you every day and night, so every time you go to sleep, you know that even though I cannot be with you physically, I am with you in my thoughts."

Freya felt the small arms tighten around her waist.

"Okay..." Eloise sniffled. "Pinky promise?"

Freya chuckled. "Yeah, pinky promise." She extended her little finger toward her sister's so that they could entwine. Then, she did the same with Emmett.

"But you have to promise me something as well," she started.

"Like what?" Little Emmett decided it was his time to speak up.

"That you're going to behave, you little rascals," Freya smiled and tossed their hair. "I need to know you will be all right till I come back. You need to listen to your parents and tutors, ok? Can you do this for me?" She looked them straight in the eye with a serious impression, showing them how important her question was.

"For you... I guess it's manageable," Eloise replied slowly, once again hugging her. Freya chuckled lightly at her sister's attitude. She had no doubt it was going to be very hard for Eloise to hold to that promise.

"I will watch over her," Emmett added, as if sensing Freya's uncertainty—sounding suddenly very mature for a ten-year-old boy.

Freya gave them one more smile and turned to her father who was patiently waiting and watching his children's goodbyes. They didn't need any words, just a calm hug was enough. They had already said everything and knew nothing could change the future where they were apart.

"I love you, my daughter," King said so faintly that only she could hear him.

"I love you too, Daddy," she replied, snuggling up his neck, fighting tears.

Just then, two men joined them. For the next weeks, it was with them that Freya would spend most of her time. She knew she didn't need to be afraid. Of them, at least. After all, their goal was to transport her safely into the hands of their king. It didn't change the fact that the woman felt extremely uncomfortable. Her father wanted a few servants to travel with them to help her adjust to the new court, but she didn't agree. It was enough for her to sacrifice her life for the cause. She didn't need anyone to join her.

"We should be moving now," Qadir noticed, glancing at the darkening sky.

"All right. Let's get going then," Freya replied, hoping to sound more sure than she actually felt.

Struggling with herself, she walked over to the saddled Frida and mounted her. She was glad that her horse could at least accompany her through all that. She was very attached to this mare and would be devastated at the thought of her being ridden by someone else.

"Goodbye," she rasped and cast one last glance toward her family, knowing painfully hard that she was leaving her whole life behind.

She had to be doubly strong from now on. Both, for herself and all ofCarda.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 478 49
Vampires are extremely sexual creatures. Agnes is about to turn 18. The time has come to find her mate. As The Vampire Princess, she needs to be mark...
180K 5.5K 35
Farren was told to never go beyond the borders that separated her town from the woodland. Hearing stories of people who cross the border and never co...
26.6K 1.4K 52
They say nothing was left of Ravenna Aphelion... nothing but her ancestral amber ring and a scared little girl clinging to it and crying in the ash o...
484K 33.5K 37
One waitress with a dark, hidden purpose that ascends the stars and galaxies. One man turned vampire to endure centuries just to ensure her protectio...