in the middle of the chaos |...

By alexspotatoes

- in the middle of the chaos, there was you. also available on ao3! SEASON 1 [ COMPLETED ] SEASON 2 [ CO... More

introduction
playlist
1 | in the middle of the enlistment
2 | in the middle of balancing
3 | in the middle of flying
4 | in the middle of the forest
5 | in the middle of the kidnapping
6 | in the middle of the letter
7 | in the middle of the starry sky
8 | in the middle of their youth
9 | in the middle of home
10 | in the middle of the shop
11 | in the middle of the blizzard
12 | in the middle of the hand-to-hand training
13 | in the middle of the graduation
14 | in the middle of the reappearance of the colossal titan
15 | in the middle of the despair
16 | in the middle of the lift
17 | in the middle of the family reunion
19 | in the middle of the regiment choice
20 | in the middle of putting on the green cloak
21 | in the middle of nowhere
22 | in the middle of the baiting
23 | in the middle of dauper village
24 | in the middle of the betrayal
25 | in the middle of limping
26 | in the middle of finding out
27 | in the middle of the anniversary
28 | in the middle of staining their hands
29 | in the middle of jean's dumb plan
30 | in the middle of being free citizens
31 | in the middle of the crystal cave
32 | in the middle of orvud district
33 | in the middle of the coronation
34 | in the middle of informing
35 | in the middle of returning to the cadet corps
36 | in the middle of yet another squabble

18 | in the middle of carrying the boulder

399 46 4
By alexspotatoes

Cries filled Y/n's ears as a red flare was sent off in the air — the mission had failed. Eren had failed.

Y/n stood next to Marco atop the wall, waiting for their dispatch order. As it seemed, however, there would be no such thing. Eren won't be able to close the wall and they won't be able to liberate Trost. Her home was done for.

''Did they . . . fail?'' Marco asked the obvious.

''How?'' Armin asked as he came to stand next to them. He gritted his teeth before he put his supply load on the ground and ran away. Marco called to him and followed.

Y/n could hear the Commander and his subordinates conversing, though she didn't pay attention to them. Her eyes remained on the smoke emitting from between the buildings, most likely coming from Eren's titan.

Wire-zipping filled her ears and Jean suddenly dropped in front of her, Marco and Connie; Y/n wasn't exactly sure when he'd joined them. ''What's up with Eren?'' Jean asked.

''Armin headed over alone,'' Marco explained. ''It'll probably work out.''

Well, at least one of us had to have hope, right?

''Probably?'' Jean asked.

''It will.'' Marco said. ''I'm sure. Eren can do it.''

''I don't see the point of luring the titans to the corner of the town,'' Connie said.

''We aren't supposed to fight them. We're a distraction,'' Y/n reminded him. ''Though, if Eren can't pick up that boulder and plug the hole . . .''

''Fighting them will only result in a battle of attrition,'' Jean added. ''They're probably trying to keep deaths to a minimum right now.''

''So you're saying all the deaths up till now were meaningless?''

''An all-out war is inevitable,'' Jean tried to reason with Connie. ''But until then, it's obvious we should minimize our losses as to preserve our forces. The higher-ups are right.''

''Is that how it is?'' Connie asked.

''Of course!''

Connie's back was facing them now. ''Well, let's try not to become losses, then.'' He faced them again, a nervous smirk on his face. ''All of us.''

Y/n and Jean shared a look. Easier said than done, but sure.

———

''Listen up. We just need to keep the titans in a corner. Keep that in mind, and lure them accordingly. Understand? There's no need for you to fight. Recruits will travel on foot in groups of four. Once you reach the wall, climb up. Try not to die. We'll eliminate any titans that somehow get away.''

The recruits were dispatched not too long after. Y/n was placed in a group with Jean, Annie and Connie — with them were three more recruits, as well as a higher-up. They were hiding between the buildings, ready to go out and be alive bait for the titans. Fun.

''Somehow?'' Jean asked.

''Permission to act independently in life-threatening situation?'' Annie asked. Y/n side-eyed her — was she planning to fight titans?

''If that'll save you, sure,'' the higher-up said. Explosions erupted not too far from their hiding spot. Y/n took a deep breath and took out her blades. ''Kirstein's squad, go!''

''Sir!''

It was weird. Y/n had ran those streets countless of times in her youth, having laughed with Jean as she did so. Never in her life had she thought she would run down those same streets again, though this time, she would be running away from titans, trying not to get eaten alive.

Y/n heard the higher-up scream not even three minutes after Jean's squad ran out.

''Looks like we have no choice but to think on our feet,'' Annie said. The four of them kept running as quick as they could, but Y/n could hear the titans' footsteps behind.

Looking back, Y/n counted three of them. ''Annie!'' The two girls looked at each other, despite Jean technically being the leader. ''Wouldn't it be easier to kill them here? There's three of them and four of us!''

''Hey! You heard your orders, he said to only kill if necessary!'' Jean yelled at her.

''If you aren't aware, he's dead, so how does it matter?'' Y/n asked, looking back at the towering titans again. ''Annie and I—''

''He's right, Y/n, don't take reckless decisions yet,'' Annie yelled at her. ''We have our orders for now . . . If it comes down to it, I'm with you. We'll take them down. For now, keep running.''

Y/n pursed her lips, scoffed and looked back ahead, keeping up her speed. Why were we trained to slay titans if no one actually wants to do it?

One of the titans took a swipe at Connie, though he managed to dodge it. Y/n and Annie had climbed on a building already as Connie tried to follow, though his wire didn't attach to the wall.

''Connie!'' Y/n yelled and was about to go down — even possibly take down the titan while she was at it — when Jean shot out his wire right through the titan's hand, grabbing it's attention. ''Jean! The hell are you doing!''

''Hurry and run!'' Jean yelled, though Y/n wasn't sure if it was directed at her or Connie. He turned around and started running again as the titan tried to smash him with the pavement. Dust rose up, completely covering Jean.

Y/n climbed up the wall with Annie and Connie, her eyes wide, rapidly looking around — Jean was nowhere to be seen. He hadn't been behind them. ''No . . .'' She whispered, her arms hanging limply on her side. ''No, don't tell me—''

''Y/n.'' Annie put a hand on her shoulder. The two made eye contact. ''Jean is okay, I'm sure of it. We will find him. Keep your head cool, or else you'll get killed and endanger us while you're at it.''

The two held eyes for a moment. Y/n managed a nod and swallowed despite the lump in her throat. ''Right.''

''Jean!'' Connie yelled as he pointed down. Y/n followed his finger, seeing Jean's small figure still running on the ground while a titan walked after him. ''What's he doing?''

''Why . . . Why isn't he using his gear? Is he crazy?'' Y/n asked. Her breath hitched. ''His ODM gear . . . don't tell me . . .''

''Is his equipment acting up?'' Connie asked. He must've realized at the same time.

''Fuck!'' Y/n yelled.

———

Why's my gear malfunctioning now? Damn it!

Jean could feel sweat rolling down his temples. His feet were burning, but he didn't stop running. He couldn't, unless he wanted to become titan brunch.

''I'll figure something out!'' He yelled to himself as he continued.

I can't die here. I'm going to the interior tomorrow! Y/n is going to be there! I can't fucking die here!

He entered an abandoned house, throwing himself against the door. He panted as he rested his legs in front of him. His eyes were closed as he tried to regain his composure. ''Damn. How can I afford to be dead weight?''

He peered over the window, seeing the titan still walking towards him. Did it know he was in there? His eyes moved to the right, falling on a body half-smashed by a boulder. Another fallen comrade. The lower half of the body remained in tact — as well as the ODM gear attached to it. His eyes widened. Will this work out somehow?

As if miraculously, the titan turned around and started walking back where it came from. This is it.

Jean discarded his broken gear and ran out of the house and over to the fallen soldier, quickly getting to work to unstrap the — hopefully — working ODM gear. ''As if I'm gonna wait until the titans are gone!''

''Jean!'' Connie called, eyes wide. ''So it was his gear.''

The three were still on the wall, watching from the distance as Jean struggled by himself. Y/n gritted her teeth. Come on, Jean-Bo. Hurry up.

''What's wrong?'' Marco asked, approaching the three.

The titan turned around again, making its way towards Jean. Y/n's eyes widened. ''Jean! Fuck this!'' Y/n jumped off the wall, ignoring the calls of her name as she dropped down. She heard another curse, but she didn't turn back.

She triggered her wires and flew through her familiar hometown, right towards where she'd seen Jean. The titan was in view and, once she flew in front of it, she raised her blades. ''Over here, bastard!'' Y/n called as she flew to the side once the titan swiped at her.

''Y/n! What the hell are you doing?'' She heard Jean yell, but she didn't dare look at him.

''Hurry up and get your gear!'' Y/n yelled at him, launching herself further from the titan.

''Hey! Over here!'' Marco suddenly appeared on the other side of the titan. ''Y/n, go help Jean! I'll distract it!''

Y/n was hesitant, but the titan's attention was already at Marco; and when she looked at Jean, she could see him becoming frantic. At this rate, he wouldn't be able to get the gear off before it was too late. ''Fine! Be careful!''

So she flew down to Jean, dropping to the ground before she rushed over, falling to her knees next to him. His hands were shaking, so she quickly pushed them away. ''Let me.''

It felt violating taking off gear from a dead body, but she did what had to be done. She did quick work of unstrapping it from the soldier and Jean quickly pulled it off before strapping it to himself.

The two looked at each other and nodded before each triggered their gear, flying off in the air. Y/n was ahead as two more titans followed after them — she heard a thump and looked down, seeing Jean back on the ground. Fuck! Is this one faulty, too?

Y/n turned around and flew straight at the titan ahead, raising her blades. There was no time for distractions anymore, work had to be done properly. With a battle-cry, she raised her blades, twisted her body and sliced the titan's nape before it could swipe at Jean. Connie flew in from the left, jumping on the other titan, distracting it in the process.

Jean managed to fly up again, flying ahead with Annie. Connie waited on the roof as Y/n worked her magic, killing yet another titan. Why the hell was she in fifth place?

Before long, the five of them were back on top of the wall, all breathing heavily. Y/n looked at Jean, who was looking over at the four. ''You're all insane!''

''You're one to talk!'' Connie called back. ''Can't believe we made it.''

''Look over there.''

Y/n got to her feet, her eyes wide.

Eren had picked up the boulder and was slowly carrying it over to the hole, his heavy footsteps rattling the town.

''Don't let them stop him!'' Jean yelled. ''We'll back Eren up!''

Y/n didn't need to be told twice, jumping off the wall first. The five of them flew through Trost, distracting the titans — Y/n and Annie slaying a few on the way — before they came to a stop on top of some rooftops, watching as Eren reached the gate and dropped the boulder, plugging the hole. Y/n's knees felt weak.

Is it . . . over?

Y/n's knees finally buckled.

''Y/n!'' Jean's arms wrapped around her body, slowly lowering her down as he held her. ''Are you okay?''

She was sure she'd never hugged someone as tightly as she'd hugged Jean in that moment. Relief washed through her as she rested her face in the crook of his neck, finally letting out the pent up frustration, anger, fear and relief out of her system as her tears soaked his shoulder.

''It's okay,'' Jean whispered in her ear as she trembled in his arms. ''We're okay.''

We're alive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

328 15 9
βˆ˜β‚Šβœ§β”€β”€β”€β”€ π€ππ€π“πŽπŒπ˜ πŽπ… 𝐀 𝐇𝐔𝐆 ˗ˏˋ𝙝𝙀𝙬 π™˜π™–π™£ 𝙩𝙬𝙀 π™₯π™šπ™€π™₯π™‘π™š 𝙛𝙖𝙑𝙑 π™žπ™£ π™‘π™€π™«π™š π™žπ™£ 𝙬𝙖𝙧 π™©π™žπ™’π™šπ™¨ 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨π™ͺπ™˜π™˜π™šπ™šπ™™? π™š...
1.6K 92 10
𝑰𝒕 π’˜π’‚π’” 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’šπ’†π’‚π’“ 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘»π’Šπ’•π’‚π’π’”. 𝒀𝒐𝒖, π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰π’π’–π’• π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒏 π’–π’π’„π’‚π’π’π’š π’‚π’ƒπ’Šπ’π’Šπ’•π’š 𝒕...
109K 1.6K 11
Reminder: I don't own Attack on Titan or this story. This story belongs to ii-phoenix-ii on fanfiction.net. The Survey Corps group returns and watche...
3.4K 39 14
Edit: y'all,,, these and old and bad, yet you guys seem to enjoy them qwq thanks to all of you for your support! <3 My first fanfiction! I will be wr...