in the middle of the chaos |...

By alexspotatoes

- in the middle of the chaos, there was you. also available on ao3! SEASON 1 [ COMPLETED ] SEASON 2 [ CO... More

introduction
playlist
1 | in the middle of the enlistment
2 | in the middle of balancing
3 | in the middle of flying
4 | in the middle of the forest
5 | in the middle of the kidnapping
6 | in the middle of the letter
7 | in the middle of the starry sky
8 | in the middle of their youth
9 | in the middle of home
10 | in the middle of the shop
11 | in the middle of the blizzard
12 | in the middle of the hand-to-hand training
13 | in the middle of the graduation
14 | in the middle of the reappearance of the colossal titan
15 | in the middle of the despair
17 | in the middle of the family reunion
18 | in the middle of carrying the boulder
19 | in the middle of the regiment choice
20 | in the middle of putting on the green cloak
21 | in the middle of nowhere
22 | in the middle of the baiting
23 | in the middle of dauper village
24 | in the middle of the betrayal
25 | in the middle of limping
26 | in the middle of finding out
27 | in the middle of the anniversary
28 | in the middle of staining their hands
29 | in the middle of jean's dumb plan
30 | in the middle of being free citizens
31 | in the middle of the crystal cave
32 | in the middle of orvud district
33 | in the middle of the coronation
34 | in the middle of informing
35 | in the middle of returning to the cadet corps
36 | in the middle of yet another squabble

16 | in the middle of the lift

458 42 7
By alexspotatoes

Y/n let out a cry as she spun to cut the nape of a Titan that was about to swipe a bunch of her comrades. She didn't have much gas to spare, but she couldn't let her friends die. Not like this.

''Follow Mikasa!'' Jean yelled as Y/n fell into a run next to him. ''This will be a swift, decisive battle! Charge to HQ before you run out of gas! Y/n, no more recklessness!''

''Shut up!'' Y/n yelled back, though she knew he was right.

''Really, Mikasa's amazing,'' Connie commented from the back. ''Just how does she move that fast?''

Y/n looked at Mikasa at that. Her gas . . . why's she using up so much? It wasn't long before Mikasa crashed into a building, running out of gas. ''MIKASA!'' Y/n yelled along with Armin.

''Damn!'' Jean yelled. Both he and Y/n turned to follow Armin, as if on instinct.

''Jean!'' Connie called, stopping him in track. ''Take the lead for everyone! Y/n, make sure nothing too bad happens! I'll stick with Armin!''

''No, us too!'' Jean yelled, the three of them flying next to each other now.

''No! There are still more Titans left!'' Connie stopped them again. ''We need your skills!''

Y/n scoffed and continued ahead, praying that Connie, Armin and Mikasa would get back in one piece. Another Titan appeared in front of them — Y/n rose up again, twisted her body and slashed its nape, then landed on a rooftop, panting.

''Y/n!'' Jean yelled, landing next to her. ''If you're going to slay Titans, don't waste too much gas!''

''You think I don't know that?'' Y/n asked as she straightened up. She knocked on her gas tank — she could afford one more kill at most, as well as the sprint to HQ if she ran along the rooftops. Things weren't looking good. She and Jean both stood at the edge of a building, looking at HQ in the distance. It felt like they weren't getting any closer.

''This is hopeless. We can't even get close to HQ,'' Jean voiced her thoughts.

''There has to be a way,'' Y/n said. ''There has to be a way we can win, right?''

Jean's voice lowered. ''Without making sacrifices . . . '' She knew how the sentence ended, but she was glad he didn't say it out loud.

Whimpers sounded from down below. A cadet was stuck on the ground, out of gas. ''Jean, we have to—'' Y/n took a step forward, but Jean put his arm in front of her. Titans surrounded the cadet. There was no saving him unless they wanted to sacrifice themselves, too.

''Tom, I'm coming!'' a boy flew behind them.

''Stop! It's too late!'' Jean called, but the boy didn't listen. A girl followed him.

All three of them were caught within seconds. They could do nothing but watch.

Y/n's mouth hung open at the sight. Her comrades, people she'd trained with for the past three years . . . just got swallowed in front of her eyes. I'm gonna throw up again. She couldn't, not now. The sight of the fresh cadet blood running down the Titans' arms didn't help.

Slowly, Y/n looked at Jean, who looked petrified at the scene. No, he couldn't be petrified, he was the smart one, the level-headed one in such situations. Grabbing his shoulders, Y/n moved him to face her. ''Jean! Jean, snap out of it!'' Jean's shell-shocked eyes moved to hers, but his expression didn't change. ''Jean, you couldn't have done anything for them, okay? This . . . This was their choice. We have to make those sacrifices worth it and get to safety.''

Jean's mouth moved soundlessly a few times. ''I . . . I'm not . . . I can't . . .''

''Jean, please!'' Y/n said. Her hands moved from his shoulders to his temples, causing his eyes to widen even further. ''I know it's too much to ask for, but please, lead us to safety. Only you can do it.''

Jean's looked down at Titans still swarming a corner, looking away from them. Then he met Y/n's eyes for just a second before he snapped his head back to the rest of the survivors, letting Y/n's arms fall. ''Everyone! Run over to HQ now!'' Jean yelled and started running. Y/n smiled and followed, no questions asked.

''Everyone, charge!''

Jean looked back to make sure Y/n was still behind him — as he did, he noticed there were less people following him than originally — but he didn't call out for her, not wanting to distract her. Marco landed next to him, grabbing his attention. ''Jean! Thanks. We got away, thanks to you.''

''Huh?''

''You pulled through for us,'' Marco said. ''I told you, didn't I? You're suited to be a leader.''

Jean chuckled. He wanted to look over his shoulder, at the one who'd actually been the one to pull through, but looked back ahead. He couldn't get distracted now. ''Well, I don't know about that!''

They were almost at HQ. Y/n jumped along with Sasha, hearing the screams behind them but not daring to turn around. She gritted her teeth as she continued propelling herself ahead. You're almost there. Don't get distracted, don't do anything reckless.

Jean was the first one to burst through the swarmed by Titans HQ windows. He rolled a few times before getting up, a sweat drop rolling down his temple as he watched Marco and Annie breaking through the windows as well. Reiner, Bertoldt, Sasha and, finally, Y/n. He let out a relieved breath. A few more cadets came through — barely anyone was left out of their original group. Jean wanted to throw up. How many died on my order, taking advantage of our comrades' deaths?

Footsteps filled his ears and he looked up. ''Jean—'' Y/n's gaze shifted from him to right. He followed her eyes and looked under the desk as well, seeing two trainees hiding.

''You guys . . . are the supply squad, right?'' Jean asked almost breathless.

''Yeah . . .''

Jean reached out to grab the boy from under the table and brought him up, then punched him with all his might. ''Jean!'' Y/n yelled, but he ignored her.

''Stop it, Jean!'' Marco grabbed him around the shoulders and pulled him back.

''These guys left us out there to die!'' Jean yelled. He couldn't think straight. Those people were cowards — what did they train three years for? ''People died in vain because of you lot!''

The girl ran out from under the desk and went over to the boy, looking up at Jean. ''Titans broke into the supply station! There was nothing we could do!''

''Did you forget it's your job to do something about that?!''

A sudden noise filled Y/n's ears. She looked through the broken windows, her eyes widening. ''GET DOWN!''

She shielded her head and dropped to her knees as the debris of the wall flew through the room. She looked up, seeing a Titan's head peering through the hole. Fuck.

''Shit, we have too many people here,'' Jean said. Everyone burst into panic, trying to run away — except, there was nowhere to run to.

Y/n hit her gas tanks. She had minimal amount of gas left. She looked up at Jean's shell-shocked face. ''Jean, I can take it out.''

His head snapped to her and he quickly shook it. ''No way.''

''Yes way. I have some gas, I can—''

''There's two Titans out there, you dumbass, there's no way.'' Jean looked back at the two faces — something that would probably haunt his dreams if he were to live. ''It's over, we're going to—''

A fist collided with the male Titan's face. It almost felt like it was happening in slow motion.

Y/n's eyes widened. ''What the fuck?''

Both Titans fell off the building. A black haired Titan with pointy ears stood in front of them, letting out a loud yell that almost made Y/n's ears bleed.

''What's . . . that?'' Jean whispered.

''Are you seeing what I'm seeing . . .?'' Y/n asked, her eyes stuck on the new Titan as well.

Mikasa, Armin and Connie dropped into the building. Y/n's eyes widened even more, if possible. ''Mikasa!''

''Whew, it just ran out!'' Connie said as he hit his gas tank. ''We did it. Just barely!''

Y/n and Jean approached the three — Jean in shock, Y/n with a grin. ''You guys are alive?'' Jean asked.

Connie slapped Armin's back. ''We did it, Armin! Your plan was a success!'' Connie stood up, facing Y/n and Jean. ''Everyone, that Titan's an Abnormal that attacks other Titans! Not to mention it doesn't care about us! If we can make good use of it, we'll be able to get out of here!''

''Make good use . . . of a Titan?'' someone asked from the back.

''You think we'll be saved by a Titan?'' Jean asked in shock. ''Something that delusional—''

''It's far from delusional,'' Mikasa said. ''It doesn't matter what it is. All we need is for that Titan to continue its rampage. Realistically, that's our best plan for survival.''

Y/n leaned on the wall and peered out through the hole, watching as the Abnormal punched yet another Titan, sending it flying back. ''I mean, it's rampaging, alright."

———

Everyone had moved further into the building to hide and regroup. Y/n kicked a wooden door open, her eyes falling on a few long wooden crates. She walked over, Jean and a few other guys behind her as she open them. ''They're here!''

Everyone present grabbed a crate and brought it back to the main room. ''We found them! They're the Military Police Brigade's stock. There's a bit of dust on them, though.''

Y/n lined up all the bullets and counted them as other people handled the check-up of the weapons. She sighed once done and looked at Jean. ''There's only going to be about three bullets per shotgun.''

Jean nodded and started loading the shotgun he was holding. ''Will that really be enough? Besides, are guns going to be of any use against Titans?''

Armin, who looked over a map of the building Marco had found, looked at Jean. ''I think it'll be a lot better than not having them. If only seven three- and four-meter class titans are there, it's possible to blind them all simultaneously with this much firepower.'' He proceeded to explain his plan about filling the lift with people and using it to attract the Titans, thus exposing their napes. They'll blind them and then seven people will drop down and slash the Titans' napes. ''In other words, this plan bets everything — all of our lives — on a single attack. It's a strategy that'll allow seven people to take down a Titan each, all at the same time.''

The people Armin had chosen were Mikasa, Annie, Reiner, Connie, Sasha, Jean and Y/n. ''I'd like the seven most physically capable people to take up this task, though I apologize for burdening you guys with that responsibility.''

''No worries.'' Reiner smiled at him.

''Regardless of who does it, if they fail, we'll all die,'' Annie pointed out. ''The risk is the same.''

Armin looked down, doubting his plan. Marco reassured him that everything will be okay and it wasn't like they had any other plan. Mikasa joined in the reassurance, reminding him how much she and Eren had depended on him.

Y/n stood up, following the seven people who would be slaying Titans down the stairs. She took out her blades, making sure they were sharp enough as she walked. ''But are we going to be able to take down the Titans without three-dimensional maneuver devices?'' Connie asked.

''Of course. They're only three and four meter class Titans. Their vitals will be easy to target.''

''Yeah, we just need to slash the nape from top to bottom, regardless of their size,'' Jean piped in.

''One meter long, ten centimeters wide!'' Sasha said.

''Or I could stick this up their asses,'' Reiner joked. ''That's their only other weakness.''

''I had no idea!'' Connie said. ''That's an option, too?''

''I didn't know until now, either,'' Sasha said.

Y/n sighed. ''He's messing with you, guys. Don't attempt to shove any blades in any Titan asses, or they'll eat your asses whole.''

''Can you guys stop talking about asses? Those could be your last words, you know,'' Jean said, looking back at Y/n. She snorted.

Y/n stood above, watching as the elevator group lowered down and grabbed the titans' attention. She took a deep breath, holding her blades crossed in front of her. Calm down, Y/n. If anything, you still have a little gas left. You're in the best position out of everyone. It's going to be okay. Shots were fired. The Titans were blinded.

Taking off, Y/n ran to the middle before she jumped off, raised her blades, twisted her body and gracefully sliced the Titan's nape, dropping to the ground. She looked around, seeing almost everyone had gotten their Titans — bar two people.

''U-Um, I apologize for sneaking up behind you so suddenly . . .''

''Sasha!'' Y/n yelled and triggered her wires, using the last of her gas to send herself at the Titan, slashing its nape just as it was about to reach out for Sasha, and landing on top of it as it fell on the ground. Mikasa had gotten the one Connie had missed, killing the last of them.

''Y/n!'' Sasha ran over to Y/n as she climbed down from the Titan, throwing her arms around her friend. ''You saved me!''

''Are you okay?'' Y/n said, dropping her blades and hugging her. Sasha shook in her arms and crying.

''Yeah!'' Sasha sobbed.

''That's good.'' Y/n pulled off, holding Sasha by the shoulders. ''Come on, we gotta refill our tanks and get out of here.''

''We got all of them!'' Jean yelled at the people in the lift. ''Start filling up your gas tanks!''

Y/n sat next to Sasha as the two filled up their tanks, listening as the girl spoke. ''I surrendered to a Titan. I'm too ashamed to look anyone in the eyes!'' Sasha yelled, grabbing her hair.

''We'll all scorn you for it later! Right now, we need to leave!'' Connie yelled at her.

Y/n stood up, finishing up the straps of her tanks. She walked over to Jean and Marco, who were still filling theirs — Jean watched Marco in shock and wondered what they'd talked about. She was going to ask Jean later — as well as who that mysterious girl was. It still bothered her, creating a weird feeling in her stomach.

''You guys ready?'' Y/n asked, crossing her arms.

''Just about,'' Marco said and jumped off the crate. ''I'll go check up on Sasha and Connie,'' he said and walked off. It almost felt like he was just trying to escape from the two of them.

She jumped up and sat next to Jean, swinging her feet as she waited for him to finish refilling his tank. ''You know, you were really brave today. Leading us all like that.''

Jean scoffed. ''Don't you start with that leader bullshit, too. Marco was just talking about it. I just stepped up when needed.''

''I mean, that's kinda what leadership is,'' Y/n said. She felt the sting in her eyebrow again. ''Thanks for saving me back there, too.''

Jean looked up from his bottles and at her wound. He frowned. ''Sorry. I think it's going to scar.''

''I don't mind.'' Y/n shrugged. ''It'll be a cool battle scar. Though, do you know what they say — about when a boy scars a girl's face?''

Jean raised an eyebrow. ''What're you talking about?''

Y/n hummed. ''You know that when a man scratches a woman's face, he has to take responsibility and marry her, because no one else would want her because her beauty is ruined, or something like that.'' Jean's eyes widened at that, causing Y/n to burst out laughing.

Jean felt his face heat up. His heart started beating trice its usual speed. What the hell is she talking about? Is she trying to imply something? ''What—''

''I mean, I think it's bullshit. You don't just become ugly because of a scar, right?'' Y/n continued, looking down at her boots. ''It's a joke, don't worry, Jean-Bo. I know you have a crush on someone already. Don't think I forgot about that.''

Jean gulped. Should he tell her? Now wasn't the perfect time, but she'd opened the topic already. Besides, if they were to die now, at least he would've told her, right? ''I mean, I—''

''Jean, Y/n, we gotta go!'' Connie yelled at them, earning himself a slap on the back of the head from Sasha, who whispered something to him. ''They can do that later! We gotta get out of here!''

Y/n laughed and jumped down. ''Come on, let's move.''

Jean watched as she walked away, his heart still beating, his cheeks still flaming. She's going to be the end of me. But better she than a Titan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 399 20
❝WE ARE IN THIS MESS BECAUSE I WENT ONLINE, NOW, I GOTTA GET OUT USING IT❞ [ started: 11 october 2019 ended: 12 jun...
598K 22.7K 110
It's natural to want to follow your sibling around everywhere, no matter what. Even if that means joining the Survey Crops and signing your life away...
113K 4.9K 53
❝ 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙬 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙤𝙬𝙣 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨. 𝙞 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙝𝙚𝙧.❞ 2021 | © ʜᴀᴊɪᴍᴇ ɪsᴀʏᴀᴍᴀ © ɪᴀᴍʀɪᴄᴇᴜ
310K 8.8K 47
𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘴, 𝘢 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘧𝘭𝘢𝘵 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘰𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘴. 𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸...