Shadow of the Count's Family

By MsAi99

The infamous Count family, the wealthy aristocrat that have been protecting Roan Kingdom from the Forest of D... More

Author's note
Prologue
Character Profile
ARC 1: A Budding Flower of Beginning
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
Item Box 1
[5]
[6]
[8]
Author's note 2
ARC 2: The Baby Dragon
[9]
Art Work
Art Work 2

[7]

140 11 0
By MsAi99

3 April 781 Felix calendar

A simple white blouse, a shade of brown corset, and a matching skirt. Her hair was simply braid to the back as she stared at the mirror.

'Look neat enough.. should I bring a cloak with me?'

Maria was helping with the finishing touch for her lady's hair when there was a knock at the door. It was the old butler, Ron.

"Good morning, Young miss. Young master Cale is waiting for you at the entrance."

"Yes, thank you, Ron. Maria, I will get going now. And could you help me deliver this letter? Bring me his reply as soon as you get them"

"I will immediately do so Young Miss. Have a safe trip."

She just nodded back before Ron escorted her to the entrance. Her brother was there in his blue vest with a white tunic underneath.

"Sorry for the wait, brother."

"It's alright. Let's go."

They were walking through the city. It's windy but there's no sign of rain anytime soon. Thalia watched as the citizens were already out and about with their daily activities.

"We will stop by the Fragrance of Tea with Poetry. I need to get something from Billos. Do you have anywhere you want to detour?"

"Nope. None in particular. I just wanted to visit the gallery with you. You can take your time."

"Alright then."

"What are you buying?"

"Just... a few magical tools. On loan"

Thalia simply nodded as she followed him to the shop. There was a momentary recognition flicker in Billos eyes when he saw her before he escorted Cale to the other room for the deal.

She looks around the shop. The ambiance was calm, albeit there were whispers around which she promptly ignored. She looks through the book shelves hoping to find any good read while waiting.

The small tap on her shoulder snapped her from her thought.

"I'm done here. Let's go."

"Alright!"

They both left, leaving the shop with Billos to greet them goodbye. The customers meanwhile immediately burst into commotion when they connected the dots.

"It was the eldest miss!"

"The eldest miss is really pretty! Who spread rumors about her being ugly?!"

"The eldest master was also calm today!"

"No chairs broken!"

They clamor in exclamation and surprise. Obviously, the commotion escaped the siblings' hearing as they already headed to the Sculpture Gallery. Unable to contain her curiosity, she immediately asked,

"What did you buy? It looks like quite a bit?"

"You're curious?"

"Of course. Just a teensy bit. But you can just ask me if you want a magic tool"

"Even the mana disturbance tool?" he asked. It was quite expensive but it was that much of a price due to its rarity and effectiveness. And also it was hard to get. Thalia just nodded as she recalled when she rented the tool years back.

"Oh! I know one of those. I asked Maria to help me borrow one when I was starting the soundproof tool before"

"You can reproduce them?"

"Not exact copy, but it still functions similarly."

"If you have studied this tool before, then you must know the beeping effect of other magic tools when using this one. Do you think you can create something to negate it?"

"..well, I can. But, what are you going to do? If anyone else, I would have suspected they wanted to sneak into somewhere or cause chaos?"

Cale raises his eyebrow. Is the owner of this body that much or a troublemaker that those thoughts were first to be questioned? Cale recalled his conversation with Billos earlier.

"I don't know why you need this, but, young master, I hope to see you alive in the capital."

"You think I'm going to die?"

"All I know is that you plan to cause a commotion."

"...Shut up."

He is definitely not going to cause that much attention and will leave all the difficult work to others. Thalia tilted her head, she had this feeling that this person thought of something absurd.

"Brother?"

"I will explain later. Let's enjoy our tour in the gallery for today."

-SoTCF-

"I'm coming in, brother"

"..you seem to be quite busy these days."

"Oh you know, the etiquette crash course and all~"

Cale chose to just ignore her while Thalia took a seat across from him. There were only two of them. The kittens were with Hans while Ron was waiting outside. She promptly took out a multi-pocket bag and spread it open. Cale raised his eyebrows as he observed the display.

"What's all this for?"

"Well, you need things to negate the sound alert from the magic tool. So, I'm making it here. A new one! What about you, what's the star for?"

"For these outfits."

"Hoo, I see? Well, anyway, I will get started then."

A magic tool maker. There are limited people who can bestow the effects of magic onto objects. Talent in handling magic and manipulating and releasing magic itself externally are essential. Magic tool makers release magic from their own fingers through a medium of their choice and use it as ink to give magic to tools.

It is necessary to express magic with characters or symbols, and there is a vast amount of knowledge required.

In her case, getting the required knowledge was never a problem. And she doesn't need mana as she depended on her ancient power to exude a similar effect. Not to mention, with money, you can pretty much purchase all the books or tomes you need- as long as you know where to find them.

With graceful movement, she started to weave words, or what she called 'commands' that inscribe the instructions on the magic stone. She needs full concentration as she imagines the mana in it that will interfere with the sound alert system thus shutting down the safety measure installed.

"There's something.. basically mana disturbance tool will cause all magic tools within the radius to malfunction. How does yours differ?"

"Well, that's true if my magic tool is wholly made of magic and mana. As you know, a magic tool is a tool that can operate with magic stones as its power source, and the spell or inscription as you see here is the control system. It controls the flow, output input, and function. The mana disturbance tool does not affect the tool, nor the magic stone, but affects the mana flow, a.k.a this inscription here. So what happens when the mana disturbance tool on affected? The tool will automatically switch off to prevent magic stone overload and blow up the tool. The energy is still there, the tool is still there, but the brain of the tool is gone. To bypass this, we can either, increase the range of effect, or make the second brain that does not depend on mana."

Understanding dawns in the older man's mind as he recalls her ancient power. Cale nodded, as he concluded that due to the creation of a magic tool based on ancient power, it would not be influenced by the mana disturbance tool. Cale once again appreciates this younger sister whose ancient power is unique to hers.

'So, why did this person disappear and never mentioned?'

Thalia meanwhile poured her remaining focus to finish the circuit. A gentle line was drawn finally connected to the beginning of the inscription. The words glow quietly before they sink into the magic stone holder.

"Done. Later, when you are using the mana disturbance tool, you can put this side by side. It will work together simultaneously and tadaa!"

"Thank you. Then, I will tell you roughly what I'm going to do."

With a single tap, the soundproof barrier was created, separating from the outside world.

And a story of a young dragon was told.

-Thalia's Outing Outfit-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 1.3K 24
They never treated each other like a couple. Cale did not treat Arabella as a wife should be treated. Neither good nor bad, Cale treated her better...
20K 1.3K 22
What if Cale from Tboah just regressed and didn't transmit as Kim Rok Soo? You probably read multiple of these stories, so here's another one. Just...
2.9K 183 4
Maybe if he did things differently... Maybe he wouldn't be standing here again. In front of a grave. No. It wasn't 'A grave ' anymore. Not anymore...
9.1K 831 7
"They're even more of a crazy group than you guys are." -Bud Illis (A Trash of the Count's Family/Lout of the Count's Family Fanfiction) ~•~•~•...