Living With The Bad Boy

By crazycliche

Bronte Davis is Worthington High's sweetheart. With a charismatic and loveable personality and a drive to hel... More

▲ Pre Author's Note ▲
▲ Synopsis ▲
▲ Prologue ▲
Chapter 1 || But I Like It Rough
Chapter 2 || You Look Like A Greek God
Chapter 3 || I'm Blushing
Chapter 4 || Conquest Or Victim?
Chapter 5 || Not Today Satan
Chapter 6 || Time To Start Planning My Funeral
Chapter 7 || Shake It Off
Chapter 8 || Your Abs Get To Feel My Hands.
Chapter 9 || How To Lie To Your Best Friend 101
Chapter 10 || Kill Her With Kindness?
Chapter 11 || We're Dealing With A Ponytail Killer
Chapter 12 || There's Always A Time For Nun Puns
Chapter 13 (Part 1) || Drunkenly Peeing Into A Bucket
Chapter 13 (Part 2) || Not A Favour
Chapter 14 || Not Crazy Just Your Best Friend
Chapter 15 || It's Never Too Late For Breakfast
Chapter 16 || Confrontations
Chapter 17 || Don't Throw Off My Groove
Chapter 18 || I Left A Million Dollars In The-
Chapter 19 || The More Hot Girls The Merrier
Chapter 20 (Part 1) || I-I Can't Swim
Chapter 20 (Part 2)|| Get Over It, Grandma
Chapter 21 || Boo You Whore
Chapter 22 || Is He Allowed To Do That?
Chapter 23 || A Living Breathing Storm Cloud
Chapter 24 || I've Been Shot
Chapter 25 || Shit I Need To Stop Swearing
Chapter 26 || Sophie
Chapter 27 || How Do You Want Your Sausage?
Chapter 28 || Only Because You Asked Nicely
Chapter 29 || Questions Without Answers
Chapter 30 || A Night Gone Unexpectedly Right. Right?
Chapter 31 || What's New?
Chapter 32 || Louise Gillies
Chapter 33 || Detective Bronte
Chapter 35 || I'm Just Fucking With You
▲ Epilogue ▲
▲ Bonus Chapter ▲
▲ Sneak Peak Of Sequel ▲
▲ Author's Note ▲

Chapter 34 || The Night Of Prom

856K 29.1K 39K
By crazycliche

Chapter 34 || The Night Of Prom

I exhale slowly, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I looked nice, I admit. I'm sure a lot of other girls would look even more incredible and be going full out for tonight's prom, but I had no reason to. It was just a night that I'd enjoy with my friends. I was indeed looking forward to it, but I wasn't my typical, over-cheerful self.

After a few hours of watching YouTube makeup tutorials, I ended up settling for a soft smoky-eye look with crimson red lipstick. I do admit that it took me multiple attempts to get it right, but once I did finally make the eyeshadow look somewhat acceptable, I was satisfied.

My normally-straight hair was curled and fell down my back in twirly locks. I had YouTube to thank for that, too. I had YouTube to thank for most of what I enhanced tonight, truthfully. I definitely did not look how I usually would.

I'm dressed in a crimson-red, singlet-sleeved dress that is fitted tightly to my body. The hem of the dress brushes my knees slightly and a small triangle is cut out in the fabric; centring my stomach. For shoes, I'm wearing plain nude heels. Chunky heels, not stiletto because I'm clumsy and would most likely fall in them 500 times and eventually sprain my ankle. Last of all, I have a clutch which matches the colour of my heels.

I walk downstairs to see my Mom and Dad already awaiting my arrival. They looked so excited and happy for me. I felt a little bad that I wasn't nearly as excited as they were.

I grin at them, "I'm all ready!" I enthuse, lifting my arms.

"Darling, you look beautiful," my mom gushes, skipping up to me excitedly and admiring my dress. Her eyes avert to my face and she smiles, "I have such a beautiful daughter. What did I do to deserve this?"

"Obviously something very bad," I answer, and she smiles quietly, her eyes beginning to cloud with tears of joy. It made me happy that she was happy, even if it was over something as small as prom. She turns back to my Dad.

"I love our daughter," she sniffles.

"Same," My dad responds.

"Gee dad, thanks so much. I'm touched. Seriously, I'm so humbled by your deep, loving words. I can tell you really had to dig deep to come up with such-"

A car horn from outside interrupts my speech, and I know who it is instantly. Elle and Alec were here to pick me up.

I look at my parents and grin, "That's my ride."

"Oh, but what about the photos?" my mom whines, presenting to me her camera. "I'd love a photo of you three."

"A photo of me third-wheeling?" I clarify.

"Let the children leave. There's always prom next year," my dad replies, and I give him a thankful smile as I hurry over to the front door.

"No," my mom protests, "I'm taking some photos of you Bronte. Whether you like it or not!" I can hear her hurrying towards me.

"Bye! I love you!" I call over my shoulder, before jogging over to the car in my awkward heels. I slide into the backseat and wriggle over to the middle seat, putting on my seatbelt, "Drive. Drive!" I click on my seatbelt and frown when I receive no response.

I then glance up to find Elle and Alec making out, clearly unaware of my presence. I lean forward and cheekily move closer to them with a grin, "Geez guys, save it for later tonight," I comment amusedly, which makes them jump apart. I wriggle my eyebrows suggestively and Elle sends me a hard glare.

That hard glare quickly disappears, however, when her eyes trace down my body before returning back to my face. "Holy shit, Bront. You look amazing."

"As do you, gorgeous girl," I smile back at her, glancing down at her outfit. I was very happy that she decided on the green dress since it very much suits her. She looks stunning, as she always does.

Alec smiles at me politely. He's dressed in a proper, clean suit which I still need to get used to on him, "You look very pretty Bronte. Blake will be so-"

We all jump when we hear a knocking on the window.

I sigh sadly when I turn to see mom standing outside with a camera in hand. "It's good you guys came half an hour early," I comment as we all evacuate the car reluctantly.

My mom then proceeds to take photos of us all. Individual shots, ones with Elle and I, ones with Elle and Alec, ones with Alec and I, ones with my parents and I and lastly, ones with my parents and Alec (Alec insisted). Eventually after what seemed like hours, three of us are able to escape and make our way into the car. 

"You weren't kidding when you told us to come half an hour early - though I think next time make it an hour early. We're an hour late!" Alec pants, "I thought we'd just take a photo and go, but no! There's at least a 100 copies of the same photo on that camera."

Elle and I chuckle since we both were familiar to the nature of my mom.

As Elle's laughter dies down, she slaps the car dashboard urgently, "Now drive, donkey, we're gonna be late."

"Who are you calling a donkey?" Alec mutters rhetorically as he revs up the engine.

"You, obviously," she scoffs.

"But you love me."

She rolls her eyes, smiling, "Unfortunately.'

▲ ▲ ▲

Blake wasn't here.

That was the first thing I noticed when I arrived at prom. Not the 100s of balloons that swayed on the floor or the streamers that decorated the walls, or even the brightly lit-up stage where a DJ was set up; strobe and colourful lights illuminating the school gymnasium.

It was the fact that Blake wasn't here.

When I entered the prom and noticed his absence, a wave of sadness crashed over me. I was really hoping to see him, and since he wasn't even here when it's an hour into the party, I considered that maybe he wasn't coming. He said that he would when we had our small argument, but he could've changed his mind within a day.

I've been here for two hours now, yet he still hasn't arrived. I try not to let it affect me too much, so I dance with Elle and Alec for some time, eat food, and also talk to a few friends from classes and social justice group throughout the night. "I'm gonna take a break," I tell Elle, panting.

"Okay, but come back soon!" she exclaims.

I nod with a smile and make my way over to the buffet table. I was actually having quite a lot of fun. Elle and Alec were a lot of fun to dance with.

"Hey Bronte!" Louise greets me as she joins me at the buffet table. She looks stunning; dressed in a blue dress that matches her bright blue eyes, and makes the blonde colour of her hair stand out even more.

"Hey Louise, you look stunning," I smile at her warmly and she looks away with a humble laugh.

"Thank you," she smiles before waving her hand at me, "But look at you! You look amazing, Bronte!"

I thank her, before continuing the conversation, "So how long have you been here? We came here late unfortunately. My mom was so eager to take photos that it was almost impossible to get away," I chuckle lightly.

"Well I was on prom committee so I came before the party even started to get everything ready and shit," she informs me, "Don't worry that you were late though. Nothing much happened at the start because everyone arrives late anyway. The party only really starts at the after-party. It's gonna be wild. I can't fucking wait. Whose are you going to? I know Max is having the biggest one, but you probably wouldn't want to go because he's a shit-face after everything he's done to you. Maybe you can go to Mary's. Hers is apparently gonna be good, even if it's smaller than Max's cause she lives right on the water in a massive house. Oh! Or Beth! Her parents are even supplying the alcohol which is great! So who do you reckon?"

I try to concentrate when she is talking to me, but it is hard when my mind keeps on stupidly going back to Blake. I really like Louise and she's very nice, so I hope she doesn't think I'm being rude to her. I smile at her and pretend that I know what she's talking about. I know that she's talking about the after parties, but that's all, "Yes, I can't wait either."

She furrows her eyebrows and I know that I fucked up so I quickly change the subject, clearing my throat, "So did you come here with anyone?"

"Yeah! I came with Angela, Piper and Hannah," she nods, "Hey, have you seen Blake?" she asks casually, her eyes scanning the gymnasium.

"Nah," I reply, "I think he's coming."

"Oh, okay! I'm gonna dance with my friends now. I'll talk to you later!" she smiles and squeezes my arm gently before hurrying off.

"Alright, bye!" I smile, turning back to the food table and quickly popping some food into my mouth.

"Having fun there?" Chase questions as he arrives to me with a friend of his that I don't know of too well. I'm pretty sure his name is Toby. He is very handsome and I'm sure any straight girl would fall for him, but he's also very shy.

"Totally!" I reply, glancing away for a moment. My heart leaps into my throat when I see Blake enter the gymnasium, dressed in a smart suit with a black plastic bag of stuff in hand. He's so handsome. Chase follows my gaze and notices Blake.

"Uh, so this is Toby!" Chase exclaims to me, bringing my attention back to them.

I smile at Toby and hold out my hand to shake Toby's, "Hello!"

Chase sends Toby a look and nudges him, then Toby awkwardly lowers onto his knees and kisses my hand.

"Oh," I laugh, withdrawing my hand. That was sweet of him, I guess. Toby's cheeks redden and he glares at Chase, who was looking elsewhere. I follow his gaze to find Blake glaring at Toby, his fists clenching. I turn back to Chase, sensing that something was going on by his strange behaviour. I raise an eyebrow, "Okay. What's going on?" I query suspiciously.

"We're gonna try and make Blake jealous so he will get with you," Chase tells me, waving his hand between him and Toby.

"Oh, good luck with that," I laugh.

Chase turns his full attention back to me and smiles, "Are you okay?" he asks me, his voice tone suddenly turning serious as he stares at me intently. I shrug my shoulders.

"Sure. Everything's great."

He eyes me hesitantly for a moment, sensing my lie. "You don't fool me," he eventually states.

I frown, "What?"

"You always act like you're okay in situations that you aren't. Like at the beach when Blake was chatting about that girl he apparently met," Chase points out.

"You're quite observant," I comment. I had always thought I did a good job in putting up a front, but I guess not.

"I know," he grins cockily, "That's why I've got three dates to the prom. I can read and understand the ladies. It makes me seem... sentimental."

"You're kidding?" I ask incredulously. 3 dates!

With a smug expression, he points to two leggy blonde twins, and a tall and pretty Malaysian girl. "Claire, Renee, and then Aisha."

I jut out my lower lip and raise my eyebrows, impressed. "Nicely done. They know that you have more than one date, right?"

"Yeah. Even better. They keep competing for my love," Chase grins, and I roll my eyes amusedly.

"Okay casanova," I hum, "Why aren't you over there chatting them up?"

"I wanted to see how you were going."

"Seriously, I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me."

Chase eyes me hesitantly, before sighing and nodding his head, "Okay, but if you need any help, you know where to go."

"Yep," I nod firmly, "The mental institution. Got it."

He laughs and picks up some finger-food off the buffet table, "So do you think I will make more appearances in the sequel novel?"

"Yes, I hope so," I nod. I hadn't thought much about that, to be completely honest. I sure hope he does since I really enjoy Chase's company and would like to talk to him more.

"That would be great," he comments. Chase's eyes then dart elsewhere, before he quickly glances back at Toby, "Hug Bronte," he orders him.

Toby seems to loosen up a little because he smiles at me apologetically and finally talks, "I'm sorry about my idiotic friend," he replies as he gives me a quick hug. I knew it had to do with Blake looking at us and making him jealous, so I had to laugh.

"No, no! You're doing it all wrong!" Chase complains like he was a director of a movie, "You're supposed to hug her for longer than that, otherwise it doesn't really mean anything."

"Fuck off, dude," Toby laughs, "If I'm doing it so wrong, then you just do it."

"No, because I don't want to get beat up by Blake."

"So it's okay if I get beat up by him?" Toby asks, his face paling a little.

"Exactly," Chase nods firmly as he turns and walks away, "Now come on dude, I don't want to keep my dates waiting. Let's go. Bye Bront!" he calls over his shoulder.

Toby and I laugh at Chase, "I don't know why we're friends, honestly," Toby comments lightly, "Anyway, it was nice meeting you. See you around."

"Yeah, you too!" I smile, deciding that I will join Elle and Alec who were dancing on the dance floor wildly. As I squeeze through the crowd, I spot Jack chatting to a tall girl and I can't help but smile at the way he was looking at her and holding her lightly by the waist.

"Hey! You're back!" Elle grins, grabbing my hands and spinning me around.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time to announce the prom king and queen!" Principal Callaghan announces, holding a microphone in her hands and smiling enthusiastically at us from the stage at the front of the gym. The music turns off instantly, and everyone stops to focus their attention on him, "We have calculated the votes that have been submitted by the student body, and we have found out our king and queen, but first of all I'd like to congratulate the nominees. For the ladies; Amy Williams, Aisha Cornell and Taylor Henry, and for the men; Max Douglas, Chase Linton and Harry Peterson. Congratulations to all of you. So, without further ado." Principal Callaghan clears her throat, and opens the envelope in her hand. "The prom queen is... Amy Williams!"

The students erupt into an applause and seconds later Amy graciously struts on stage, smiling sweetly at the crowd like she was an angel sent from above. The beautiful diamond crown is lightly placed on her head. She then smiles a bright, sparkling smile to the crowd.

Callaghan smiles fondly at Amy before returning her attention to the crowd. She lifts the microphone to her mouth, "And now for your prom king.. Congratulations, Chase Linton!"

"Fuck yeah!"

"Chase, you legend!"

"Oi Chase, where's my iPhone?!" That one was me.

All sorts of comments of approval are shouted amongst the clapping crowd and Chase strides up on stage with a cocky grin. The crown is placed on his head and he grabs the microphone off Callaghan. "To all the people whose feelings got hurt by the burn book; I'm really sorry," he huffs, and people begin to laugh once realising that he was quoting Mean Girls. He takes the crown off his head.

"You know I've never been to one of these things before... and when I think about how many people wanted this... and how many people cried over it and stuff," he stares down at the crown in his arms. "I mean, I think everyone looks like royalty tonight. Look at Jessica Lopez," he points to Blake, "That dress is amazing," he smiles softly and Blake blows a kiss to Chase. The crowd doubles over in laughter.

"That's enough, Chase, thank you!" Callaghan intervenes just as Chase is about to break his crown into pieces and throw it into the crowd. She sends Chase a hard glare, before smiling at the crowd, "Now for the prom king and queen dance!"

Everyone begins to move and make room for the two, and I squeeze my way through the crowd to make room. My eyes scan the crowd and I spot Blake and Louise talking to each other. I couldn't help but feel jealous and upset about it all. I knew I was being irrational and I didn't want that kind of thinking to control my actions, so I decide to take a breath of fresh air to cool off. I spin on my heels and accidentally bump into Max. My eyes widen when he looks at me. I really wasn't in the mood for his crap tonight.

However, as though he didn't even know me, he looks at me with a blank expression and then averts his gaze to something behind me. He immediately walks away. I furrow my eyebrows at his behaviour. I was expecting some kind of jeering or something. Strange. I glance back to see what he might've been looking at, and I see Amy cast a glance in my direction before quickly turning away from me and looking at Chase with a big smile.

I was slightly confused, though I push the thought away and avert my attention to my mission, to get out of here. Once reaching the emergency exit door, I swing the door open and am instantly embraced by the fresh, cool night air. I inhale and exhale the air, already feeling refreshed.

I exhale a wavering breath and hold a hand to my temples. I wish things were simpler. I wish I could do something to change the way he felt, or eliminate the distance between us, at least. We had talked a few times at school since our argument but the conversations were stiff and not as exciting and laid-back as they used to be.

It's okay, I tried assuring myself. I didn't want to cry over this. I'm sick of caring so much about a boy who didn't seem to care as much about me.

"You know what? Fuck this," I hear an awfully familiar voice speak up. I spin around on my heels, only to be face to face with Blake, "I'm sick of being self-less."

▲ ▲ ▲

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 81.6K 28
Sophie's parents have shipped her off to a boarding school in Spain that can provide a better education for her. Now, after two years, her grades hav...
571K 12.5K 28
Hannah Jacobs was the feistiest kid in town and always got into arguments with the bad boy next door. Most kids were scared of him, but not Hannah. S...
5.4K 98 33
Jessie Karlton, the renowned preppy Queen of prestigious Kyde Private High has to be enggaged to the King of the school, Landon Park. Having to be in...
82K 1.1K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...