Adept in Peril

By Feran_meee

This follows the journey of a courageous teenager who navigates the turbulent waters of bullying and infatuat... More

Chapter I - Tug-of-activities.
Chapter II - School.
Chapter III - Family.
Chapter IV - Reasonable or Dumb.
Chapter V - The beginning or the bomb.
Chapter VI - Perseverance.
Chapter VII - Guilt.
Chapter VIII - An inkling of love.
✨Face Claim✨
Chapter IX - The brooding I.
Chapter X - The brooding II.
Chapter XI - A plan or not.
Chapter XII - Homecoming.
Chapter XIII - Dandelions or Waterleaf?
Chapter XIV - Thanksgiving.
Chapter XVI - The ride.
Chapter XVII - Uncanny aurora.
Chapter XVIII - Unraveling.

Chapter XV - A glimpse.

35 9 2
By Feran_meee

Hiii❤️, I'm back. Thank God for my exams though. Enjoy the update❤️

CLARA'S POV.

The image that reflected in the mirror was a huge contrast to what I had been used to for the past few months.
I didn't have the privilege to dwell on my physical appearance as I had to leave the house very early to avoid Mr Duke. My father.

I hurriedly grabbed my black wig, the school had permitted me to use it on the rule that it must be colored black, lame but manageable though.
I stared at the mirror, my eyes taking up my figure, my lilac shirt laid crisp on my upper body and the skirt lightly accentuated my curves.
Letting out a sigh, I picked my mini bag, locked my room door and left for school.

Lately, my usual routine was getting to school by six-thirty and hiding out in the library till it was time for assembly.
But I had to meet with Carlo this morning.

We were actually slowly building up a thing until that annoying fly walked in, I was just too carried away with my feelings to actually even pay attention to her.

As I walked along our class hallway, I kept my eyes peeled out for Carlo. The hall was quiet compared to how it bustled with noise and activity after the assembly hours.

Few people stalked the hallway, and I was so glad as I usually faltered each time I met the piercing eyes of my classmates, mocking even. A recent, unwelcome change.

I finally saw Carlo, He always looked neat and dashing in his uniform every morning, I always looked out for him actually. He was one of the few seniors that still obeyed the full school's dress code.
He stood at the door, talking to someone from outside.

Before he could go in, I called out,

"Carlo,"

He turned immediately, his impossibly long lashes fluttering as he blinked in recognition. Yes, he had long lashes.

"Oh, hey Clara."
His ardent voice called out as he walked towards me.

I tried so hard to keep a plain face, it seemed like I had a case of Ereuthophobia - fear of blushing.

"I... wanted to apologize for the other day, you know I messed up your date..."
Even if I hated apologizing, an apology would be at the tip of my tongue always for this guy.

"It's okay actually, it was just some misunderstanding," He relaxed, and stuffed his hands in his pocket.
"I hope you're feeling better now though."
His eyebrows raised to show that he needed an answer.

"Uhmm...not really, but I'm trying my best to," I tried to look into his eyes to decipher his stance or feelings at that point at least, but he was quite good at coding.

"I'm always here if you need a listening ear or just someone to rant to, alright? It's going to be okay." He let out a light smile that made my insides dance.

I didn't think I wanted to leave here yet but the class was already getting filled slowly.

"Thank you. See you later then, I guess."

"Yeah, sure." I gave a little wave as I moved hurriedly to the library.

π

Few minutes into my session at the library, the assembly bell went off loudly. I walked over to the shelves to return the huge novel 'Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie' that I had been trying to read for the past three weeks. My mind always sauntered off after the first few lines.

I would have loved to hide out here but the librarian took up the job of a search guard immediately the bells go off so I went off to the assembly ground.

The usual devotion, anthems and announcements took place, my mind was obviously on a journey through out the whole thing.
My class, Ss3 was the last to leave the assembly ground and that was very tiring.

I lost all my friends or frenemies as this case stands, so I was stucked with walking alone. Well, better to walk alone than to be stucked with backstabbing idiots-

"Hey Baldie," A taunting well-known voice cut off my thoughts rudely.
I would have walked away in a faux 'i don't care' way but her loud voice caught the attention of few classmates and they all started letting out little, stupid giggles.

I swallowed and turned around to see Anndora behind that monster, giggling with her chicken hands on her mouth. Foolish girl, I remembered when she was an unknown fool.

"Never seen a more fake person, it runs through you even to your hair," Her acerbic voice resonated through the hallway raising more laughters and mocking shouts.

My mind travelled to when I did this to Annie. But she deserved it though or did she? Well I don't care right now. I turned around and walked away briskly.
Whatever she said or did after then was none of my business.

I entered the class and went straight to my seat, I sat at the row before the last one.
My class was rarely filled up by this time of the day so some seats were vacant including the ones on my row, so lucky me.

I was ready to put my forehead straight on my desk but I felt a shadow cast across my table. I raised my head up in anger and that was when I noticed the cowardly figure before me, Annie.

"Hi Clara...uhmm... I wanted to just...say hi," She sounded so pathetic as she mumbled words together. I don't even understand this whole situation, my life must be a huge joke.

"You cannot be serious," I started, letting out a little laugh.

" I actually am, I just wanted to talk to you," She continued uselessly without taking a single hint.

"Please get out of here, I'm not going to talk to you just because I have no one to talk to, there's no use getting your hopes up." I said with a tone of finality as I placed my head back on the desk.

I heard some shuffling of feet as I heard her leave. Rubbish, How dare she though?
This is all Nancy's fault.

I picked up my bag which was void of any school books and left to the library.

£

Immediately I heard the after-school lesson bell ring, I left the library. Final year students, that's the Ss three class had compulsory lessons after school. For everyone aside those on the sports team as they had an upcoming match, they had practices, the same time with the lessons.

My heart spinned as I finally found Carlo amongst my classmates, I waited for him to leave their midst before I walked up to him.

"Hey, are you leaving now?" I started as soon as I got his attention.

"Sure, Marcho left earlier already," His admirable voice filled my ears.

"Alright, can we go together? I'm actually leaving now too." I implored, fixing my gaze on him.

"Oh, no issue then, let me get my bag."
I waited as he ran slightly to get his bag.

We left the hallway which was already deserted of students,and walked towards the gate. Before the gate, the field stood in all its glory at the right side - practices usually took place there.

Carlo stood at my left side, his eyes were buried in his phone. I almost rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time as I turned my eyes to the field. I saw Annie let out a knowing smile as she saw us, maybe Carlo but not me.
She was quite far and looked like she was about to approach us.

I took a quick glance at Carlo before putting my arms in his and dragging him along,

"Walk faster, it's already late," I said in a whiny tone.

"Oh sorry, I got distracted." He apologized.

I dragged him along and didn't bother to look at the field till we left the school surroundings. I don't know why I just did that but I know why.

Carlo ordered a ride for me claiming he had to meet up with Marcho. I waved him a good-bye as he left after the ride came.

I opened the black gate gently and ignored our gateman, Yaya's greetings. He knew I was in a bad mood most of the time. Maybe he thought his jovial greetings would lighten me up. Sadly, no.

I walked in a hurry to my room as it was just a while before that man arrives.
As I removed my wig, I noticed the little hair strands, maybe the huge chop was for a reason. A pink or ginger-dyed low cut would look good on me. I'll just have to wait for it to grow a little more.

I took a quick shower before changing into a house cloth, my house cloth was or had to be a dinner black dress as that man was coming today. He claimed I had to be presentable always, only when he's around though.

A few breath of fresh air and I heard a knock and then a loud bang as the door of my bedroom collided with the wall.

"Good evening sir," I said boredly as I stood up.

"Keep your greetings, they are as useless as you are,"

I kept quiet.

"You've always made things hard for me after taking your mother away. You have a collaboration later this week so better be prepared. Now get out!" I waited a while for him to realise that he was in my room and he did.

He let out a loud hiss as he staggered a little bit towards the door, probably under the influence of alcohol, again.

The maid would bring my food up later. I refused to exercise and stress my vocal cords this night by screaming as few tear drops rolled down by eyes accompanied my muffled sobs.
He's not worth it. Not one is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hopefully, you guys enjoy enough to drop comments and votes❤️Sorry for not uploading earlier, plenty engagements.
Please drop your thoughts.

With love,
Férànmi❤️.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 324 24
In the halls of The Almighty School in London, picture a diverse group. There's a Muslim girl, recently arrived and clueless, alongside, an atheist g...
5.4K 1.2K 35
Formerly 'Our Dearest Past' *A Nigerian Teen Fiction Novel* "What happens when his past starts to affect her present?" * * * I've heard that everyo...
9.8K 1K 12
I was on my own, minding my miserable, meaningless life until he came along. Just like that, he walked majestically into my life as if he owned it. I...
30.8K 4.9K 13
Unlike in other stories where the scholarship student is a quiet nerd that get bullied, Veronica changes the game, in her world, she rules and puts e...