How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~

665 32 0
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 35:

Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom

~~**~~

Peyton and I gazed around Caroline's stunning bedroom with wide eyes. Her bed alone was practically the size of my entire room. The chandelier that hung overhead probably cost more than my apartment altogether. The room itself was two levels, with the bed, a mini dressing room, a walk-in closet in the lower portion, and a home cinema and a chic seating area that opened into the balcony from where you could see the beautiful ocean.

Sometimes I forgot how much money some people had. Funny, how people who seemingly lived in two completely different worlds could co-exist in one.

There was a part of me that felt a wave of bitterness.

 How come Peyton and I had to work double shifts just to keep a roof over our heads when there were people who had extra houses built just to entertain guests? 

How come I had to cut down to only one meal a day some months so I could have running water when there were people throwing parties with dozens of tables heaped full of food and marble fountains?

"I'm so glad you guys came over," Caroline said sweetly as she carried in a tray with what seemed to be mugs filled with steaming hot chocolate.

She handed Peyton and me a mug each, before grabbing one herself and settling down on the bed across from us.

The bitterness I had felt earlier immediately dissipated. Caroline was one of the kindest people I knew. It was impossible to feel anything but affection for her. She was graceful in the way that she acknowledged that she was privileged but didn't have the air of superiority people of her stature usually carried. I didn't feel uncomfortable in her presence even though the difference between us was astounding.

There was a knock before the enormous doors to the room slid open. A beautiful woman with beautiful honey hair and sparkling blue eyes stepped inside. She wore a pretty white sundress. The resemblance she had with Caroline was uncanny.

"Caroline, you forgot the cookies in the kitchen." She gave us a friendly wave.

"Oh, thanks, mom," Caroline responded with a bright smile.

Peyton nearly spit out her hot chocolate and I choked on air.

I'd assumed she was Caroline's older sister or a cool aunt.

"Mom? You're either a vampire or you have a magical skincare routine." Peyton wheezed.

"I always thought Caroline was too perfect for this world. I can't believe there's two of you. I feel like my brain is short-circuiting." I said with a grimace.

Mrs. Williams laughed. "You girls are so sweet." She turned her gaze to her daughter, her expression stern, "Why is this the first time I'm meeting these lovely ladies?"

Caroline looked bashful. "We just recently became friends." Her eyes met Peyton's and then came to settle on mine. Her gaze was sincere. "It's a shame that it happened so late."

"You girls should come here more often." Mrs. Williams placed the plate of cookies in front of us and plopped down on the bed beside her daughter.

"Have I ever met either of your parents before? In a social gathering maybe?"

A familiar sinking feeling seemed to start tugging at my chest.

Caroline placed a gentle hand on my bicep. "Fallon's parents passed away when she was very young." She told her mother softly.

Mrs. Williams looked absolutely gutted. "I'm so sorry darling." She nudged my chin with her finger affectionately. Her expression grew concerned. "You're still just a baby. Who takes care of you?"

I swallowed, suddenly feeling overwhelmed.

"I share an apartment with a couple of other kids in a similar situation," I told her.

"Where is your apartment?"

I could feel my heart drop at her question.

"You have nothing to be scared of," I told myself

I sat up a little straighter before answering. "My apartment is located at the end of Sycamore Lane."

I waited for the sting of rejection. I waited for the disgust to envelope her features. I expected the same reaction I had gotten when Archer's parents had realized where I'd come from. I waited for her to act the same way Mr. Hastings had when he'd seen me inside his home hanging out with his son. I waited for pity and judgment. For her disapproval of my friendship with her daughter.

Only . . . it never came.

I watched Mrs. Williams's expression turn thoughtful and then her entire face brightened. "Oh! Our old housekeeper used to live down at Sycamore Lane! We used to go there every year when she invited us to her son's birthday. They moved a couple of years ago but we used to have the best time with her lovely friends and family." She turned to Caroline. "You remember Caroline? You used to have the most adorable crush on her son Rafael, if I remember correctly. You gifted him a charm bracelet for his thirteenth birthday and you cried in your room for a week when you found out he'd given it to the girl he fancied."

Caroline groaned in embarrassment. "Wow, thanks for that mortifying reminder mom."

Mrs. Williams laughed again. She kissed the top of Caroline's head before getting up to leave. "You girls make yourselves at home. I need to head out." She gave us a friendly wave. "Call me if you need anything."

Caroline jumped off the bed with the grace only a seasoned cheerleader could possess. She made her way to the upper level of the room towards the home cinema. "We're watching '10 Things I Hate about You'!" She announced.

Peyton and I cheered as we raced to join her.

As the starting credits rolled in I snuggled between my two giggling friends.

I was reminded of the stark contrast between Caroline's mother and Archer's father, the different treatment I'd gotten from two equally privileged people with the same social standing. I also couldn't help but compare how different they seemed in terms of how content they were in life.

It got me thinking,

Maybe people who made others feel like they were worth less for having less were just trying to make themselves feel better because despite having everything they could possibly want, they still felt hollow inside

~~**~~

"Ugh! That poem in the end always leaves me weeping!" Peyton sniffled as she wiped her eyes.

We watched Patrick and Kat kiss passionately on screen as the end credits rolled by.

"I would honestly kill to look anything like Julie Stiles!" I groaned as I leaned back on the semi-circle leather couch.

Caroline sighed dreamily as she lay down beside me. "Did you guys see how fucking hot Heath looked in that tux he wore to prom?" She flipped over and rested her chin in her palm. "Speaking of prom . . ." She wiggled her eyebrows at us questioningly.

Peyton giggled. I smiled as she told Caroline what she'd already told me before, "Andrew asked me last week. He took me to the Indian restaurant we'd had our first date in and asked me there."

Caroline squealed in excitement and then her expression turned mischievous. "You're never going to guess who asked me."

Peyton and I both gave each other excited looks before turning our undivided attention back to Caroline. Her eyes shone with delight. "I was asked to Prom by Colton Miller!"

My eyes nearly popped out of my sockets in shock. I hadn't seen that coming. My lips split into a shit-eating grin."Oh my God! I'm so ecstatic for you!" I grabbed her arm in excitement. "Colton is a great guy. Plus you're both gorgeous and Captains of your respective teams. You guys are the perfect match!"

"I was as surprised as you when it happened and the best part was how he asked me!" Caroline laughed. "He came to one of our cheer practices after school and performed an entire routine he'd rehearsed with my teammates which ended with them holding pieces of cardboard with letters that spelled out P-R-O-M-?"

This time the three of us squealed together like absolute lunatics. Once our giggles had subsided the girls turned to me.

"What about you?" Caroline asked me.

"Has Archer asked you yet?" Peyton added in.

I bit my lip and smiled. "He's so busy with his new job and studying for his AP Mechanical Physics final." Peyton and Caroline's excited expression seemed to deflate at my words but I continued, "Archer barely has time to sleep these days I doubt he's even thinking about prom right now."

I found my lips curling into a mischievous smile as excitement pooled inside the pit of my stomach. "Which is why I plan on asking him to Prom."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
271K 5.1K 104
"I didn't want a fight." I look down in my lap sadly, "That's one of the reasons why I didn't want to tell you." Chris walks over and sits...
19.7M 551K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...