Flying High (Marcus Greenbrid...

By Silver-Tigress

15 year old Scarlett Valentine moves to the little island off the coast of England with her mum and younger b... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
New Books!!

Chapter 3

299 4 0
By Silver-Tigress

Scarlett's P. O. V:

The next morning, I was leading Royce to the tie up rail. I want to get some practise in.

I'm wearing a long sleeved red shirt with a high collar and quarter zip that's undone, with a pair of black jodhpurs and my red gloves.

At the tie up rail, I groom my horse before tacking him up.

Then I lead my horse to the arena where I mount and spend half an hour warming up. Then I set up a jumping course and I go through it.

I sail over the first vertical. We don't touch it and canter three paces before clearing the next vertical.

We clear the cross rail fence which has two poles forming an x and I head up the arena towards the next which is an oxer. We sail over it without nicking the poles.

I head for the next cross rail jump and we clear that too. Royce and I clear the next few fences with ease before sailing over the final vertical fence.

"Hey, Scar!" A voice calls, causing me to whip my head around. Pin was at the gate, waving to me. "Sam wants everyone at the tie up rail for an announcement."

I responds, "I'll be right there!"

I turn my horse around to the gate as Pin opens it.

I trot past and nod my thanks to Pin who returns it. I tie my horse up beside Monty at the rail and I untack him.

Sam calls. "Alright, guys! Listen up!" The Greenbridge is with her.

Zoe is with Becky and Jade, and a black and white Gypsy pony. Mia and Susie were near me.

"The People Pony Magazine are visiting the yard today," Sam announces, making everyone clap and cheer.

"It's like, news for horses," Becky says.

Zoe says, "I didn't know horses could read." Sam was speaking again.

"So this is our chance to let the stables shine! To spread the word about Bright Fields and bring lots and lots of new riders our way!" Sam says, fingers crossed.

Marcus clears his throat as he says from behind her, "Well, hopefully, anyway."

"Speaking of which, this is Zoe," Sam says, gesturing to Zoe. "She found Raven, so we owe her big time. And this is Scarlett Valentine and, Junior Show Jumping Champions from London. She and her parents are staying with us here, and is boarding her horse here. So let's make them all feel welcomed."

Zoe and I hold up our hands as everyone bursts into another round of applause.

Sam adds as she backs away, "If you have trouble getting ready for the shooting, come find Marcus, or me."

Jade says to us, "Marcus is Sam's cousin."

"He's the best rider in the yard," Becky adds.

"He's really nice," Jade says as Marcus comes around.

"He's talented and handsome, and I love him," Becky utters as Jade shakes her head warningly.

Marcus walks past as he says to Zoe, "Hey."

"Hi," She says back, making Becky look all excited.

Marcus comes around to where Monty is and we begin giving our horses a hood grooming for the photoshoot.

"I gotta go," Zoe says, walking away. Jade and Becky follow her away from the hitching post.

"Where are you going?" Jade asks.

"I'm supposed to meet up with my mum," Zoe sighs.

"You can't leave!" Becky says, grabbing Zoe's arm and stopping her. "You just got here. Plus, I can't carry the hay bales on my own. Come on!"

Zoe, Becky and Jade leave and I see Mia and Susie approach Sam. "Sam, got a minute?" The Meyers turns to them. It was Mia who'd addresses her, arms folded. "My friend from school is on the cover of the People Pony Magazine. I think it would be really good for the yard if I was on the cover too."

"You certainly have a pretty good chance. Firefly's so lovely," I say, glancing toward the flea bitten gray gelding.

"Oh, no. I want to be photographed on Raven."

"Absolutely not," Sam says immediately, pulling back a strand of dark hair.

Susie tells me, "Mia's one of the best riders in the yard."

"He's still completely unpredictable," The Meyers reasons, voice gentle.

"Well, you've had him for over a year. If you can't sort him out, well, maybe we should consider taking our horses elsewhere," Says Mia. Sam looks really worried by that until Mia and Susie burst out laughing. "Oh, don't look so panicked! You know we all love it here." Sam gives a sheepish smile. "I just really want to get on Raven. By the end of the day."

They walk away as Susie says, grinning, "That magazine cover is in the bag!"

"Susie, how many times have I told you not to wear the same nail polish as me?" Mia quips, walking ahead.

Susie glances at her nails and hurriedly apologises, "Sorry! I'll take it off."

I mumble as I groom my horse's rump, "I think Mia wants to get on that horse."

Marcus replies, "I'm sure she'll be fine. She is a talented rider."

I say as I lean against Royce, "How did she end up with him, anyway?"

Marcus responds, "Apparently, he belonged to Ted and Pin Hawthorne but they had to sell him. So they sold Raven to the MacDonalds'."

I gaze towards the mysterious wild horse before I resume grooming my own.

       🐴🐴🐴

Sam says as she leads the photographer inside, "It's my dad's place. It used to be bigger but we had to sell one of the fields. Still, we're busy. Busy enough for now."

We're all lined up with our horses tacked up. I'm standing next to Marcus.

Becky says nervously to Bob, "He's coming. Please, Bob be good."

Jade says, "Focus, Becky. And, remember: distinctive!"

"What a gorgeous horse," The old man says as he approaches me and Royce.

"His name's Royce," I introduce, smiling as I rub his right cheek.

"Royce? Hello, Royce," The man says. I put my head against Royce's cheek as I grip the reins and George the photographer starts snapping pictures.

The man keeps snapping pictures as Mia steps into the arena, helmet in hand. Mia goes up to Marcus as she demands, "Where's my horse?"

Mia follows Marcus's gaze to Pin holding Raven who is still a little flighty when he gazes behind his horse, Monty. "Careful, Mia," He tells her before I could. "It looks like they've got him on ropes, but—"

"Pin!" Mia calls, completely ignoring Marcus. Pin leads Raven over as Mia clips on her helmet. Mia grabs the reins from him and turns to the photographer. The man is so engrossed in taking pictures of Royce, as Mia calls, having led Raven forward, "This is Raven!"

The man stops after taking a few more pictures and looks up at the black horse. He gives a creepy smile as he murmurs, "Beautiful." He goes up to Raven.

Raven starts getting anxious, fidgeting on his feet. Zoe is trying but failing to calm him down. "Sshh, it's okay. It's okay. It's okay."

"He is beautiful," The man says.

"I know," Mia says smugly as Zoe stands next to Raven. "I can take it from here."

The Phillips tries to say, "But he's—"

"Zoe, it's just you're getting in the way of my picture," Mia interrupts. Zoe lets out a sigh before she goes to stand next to Pin. "Now, where do you want me?"

"Where you are is just perfect," Says the man as Sam joins him. "Lovely, lovely." When he snaps a picture, Raven jumps off the ground, but Mia keeps a grip on the reins. Zoe exchanges wary glances with Pin. "Big smile! Good!"

When Raven tries to back up, Mia mutters unhappily, "Stand still, you stupid horse." She tugs him forwards.

"Looking gorgeous, Mia!" Susie calls.

"It's okay. Sh, sh, sh," Zoe murmurs as she steps forward.

"Zoe, do you mind?" Mia queries, looking at us pointedly. "Marcus, let's try one with me on the horse."

Marcus hands me his reins before he goes over as everyone else gives weary expressions at this.

"Are you sure about this?" Marcus asks.

"Yes."

Sam tells her, "Mia, be careful."

Mia scoffs, "Can everyone just calm down? I'm just trying to mount my horse, okay?"

"Okay, you're ready? 1, 2, 3." Marcus swiftly hoists the brunette onto Raven's back by cupping her left foot as the man continues to snap pictures.

Marcus steps back as Mia smiles smugly, saying, "See? No drama."

"Hold that position! The light is fantastic!" The man says, continuing to take photos. As he does, Raven starts getting upset and moves about in place.

Zoe says softly, worry in her tone, "Stop pulling him!" Mia doesn't listen to her.

"Okay. Let's try something else. Let's bring him around this way," The photographer says as he moves to his left, gesturing for the brunette to follow.

"Calm down, Raven! Stop it!" Mia grits though her teeth before smiling. "Is this good? This way."

Zoe murmurs again, "Stop pulling him!"

"Lovely! Beautiful! Look at me. Smile!"

"Yeah? Like this?"

"Good. Bring him round," Says the old man. Raven starts as Mia turns him.

"Stop pulling him," Zoe repeats over and over in a whisper, wanting her to just get off him.

"Good," The old man says as he continues to take photos.

However, when Mia goes to turn Raven, he rears up, whinnying. Zoe gasps and runs up to Raven, ignoring Sam yelling for the Phillips to get away.

"Easy, boy! Ssshh, it's okay. Whoa, whoa, ssshh. Calm down, Raven," Zoe says in a soothing tone. Susie and Marcus go to make sure that Mia is alright. "Easy, calm down Raven. You're okay, I promise."

By now, Raven has put his front hooves on the ground again and Zoe has gripped his reins. She's saying soothing words to him.

Zoe and Pin lead Raven over to the side of the arena as the Hawthorne quickly untacks Raven, Zoe's hand stroking his muzzle.

The photographer ask Becky when she runs over, grabbing her arm, "That girl, the one with the wild horse? What is her name?"

"Oh, that's Zoe, and she's our friend!" Becky chirps before rushing up to Zoe.

Once the tack was off, Zoe leads Raven to his stall, Pin following her.

Soon we were all dismissed and I tie Royce up near Bob at the hitching post. I untack and groom him.

Jade and Becky are with Bob who is tied to the hitching post, and we chat about what happened in the arena. A few moments later, Zoe emerges from the tack room and approaches us.

"Don't say anything, but I know how Raven got out," Zoe says, standing before us.

"It was the horse thieves, wasn't it?!" Becky asks eagerly.

"No," Says Zoe with a shake of her head. "Pin forgot to mend the gate." I notice she's wearing his green sweater.

"Oh. Kind of boring," Says Becky in disappointment. "We still don't know who's stealing sedatives. It's definitely horse thieves! Or who Ghost Pony is! Or why Bob's obsessed with the muck heap."

Jade mutters, looking up from her phone, "She's off."

Zoe says, "I guess I'd better head home. My mum will be worrying."

I ask, "But you will be back tomorrow?"

"Will she?" Becky and Jade ask in unison.

"Will I?" Zoe asks, cocking her head.

"Yeah, totally!"

Jade adds, "You've got the Pony Bug now, and, there's no cure for that."

Zoe leaves for home while Jade goes beside Becky and I go spend more time with Royce.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 51 24
Two weeks after the County Show cup, things have been going great fir Bright Fields. Stella and Pin are closer than ever, and Zoe has chosen to stay...
1.9K 54 10
Aubrey and the gang are back at Bright Fields and dealing with their competitive rivals, Holloway. Will new enemy's form? New friendship's blossom? R...
946 1 11
Zoe and Ellie Phillips come to a small island in England for the summer, and it completely changes their lives.
299K 12.8K 33
Meet Majestic. She is a 16 year old horse shifter. She stands at 16hh in horse form and 5.5 in human form. Her whole family has lived in the Hell and...