Darkness And Desolation

By Petal-Edge

The indelible tale of Revenge and Remorse, Delusion and Deception, Ataraxy and Agony, Belief and Bully, Endea... More

A Note With Pen
01. Out Of The Blue
02. A Closed Book
03. A Dim View
04. Overshot The Mark
05. In High And Dry
06. Error In The Ways
07. Knocked Sideways
08. On The Wrong Track
09. Winds Of Change
10. In A Quandary
11. Roll Of The Dice
12. A Change Of Tunes
13. Making A Comeback
14. A Dice With Death
15. All In A Fog
17. Chained In The Dock
18. A Change Of Scenery

16. On Pins And Needles

92 8 8
By Petal-Edge

********

The enlivening rays of the sun were exquisitely illuminating the damp city of Houston. After four days of continous rainstorm, the clouds were finally tired of bursting out their anger on the city, allowing the sun to awaken the citizens and relish the zeal of liveliness once again.

However, under the roof of a modern bungalow, the giant bedroom residing on its top floor was still asleep when the door clicked open and in walked a slim figure with a glass in her hand. However, she immediately halted in her steps as a perfect wave of hush and stillness met her inside.

The room was minimally lit by the sunrays entering through the curtains and the only sound to be heard was of the mellow air freshener moistening around. The lady's temple frowned at the unusual scene.

Crossing the spacious room, she reached at  the side of the bed where her son was still fast asleep with the quilt pulled all over his body, only sparing his right forearm on which his head was resting and his hair unconcealed. His phiz was nestled in his elbow; manifesting someone was trying to hide from sunlight. Zaima sighed whilst shaking her head in disappointment.

This boy!

"Iyaad?" No response.

Zaima's orbs glanced at the wall clock briefly before she placed the glass on the nightstand and leaning down, mildly shook his shoulder to drag him out of his sleepy zone, which turned out nothing but another lame attempt.

"Iyaad, wake up sleepy boy! Don't you have university today?"

He whined slightly and shifted on his right, whilst drawing the quilt some more which hid his remaining hair as well. His mood seemed nowhere even close to bid goodbye to his precious sleep.

After making a couple more attempts at waking her son and receiving the same bratty attitude in return, the last recourse left for her was to yank out the pillow from under his head; which she did with such violent force that finally cracked his dreaming state.

With a light 'Ouch', he only removed the quilt from infront of his eyes enough to check on the intruder and on spotting the blurred form of his mother towering over his head, his eyes squinted to few degrees.

"Mummy? Why are you up so early today?" He asked in the same blurred tone, all ready to zone out again. Zaima sighed whilst placing the pillow back on the bed and folding her arms.

"Well I don't think anytime after eight should be considered early."

There was a hint of strictness in her tone as she watched him giving her a puzzled look.

"It's 8 o'clock already?" His heart deeply hoped for a no but when Zaima nodded with a sarcastic smile, his face suddenly began manifesting complain.

Why is it that I always treat the time fair but it never treats me right? My sleep!

He hadn't taken a proper sleep since almost a week, considering his endless leisure activities and secondly, Ayzel's accident. With the speed of an elephant, he slid the quilt off of him and got up under the eyes of his mother and in the next 20 seconds, he was sitting with his feet touching the floor down the bed.

"You know this is the reason why your father gets angry on your staying out with friends. It's your first day of semester and you're still in bed."

Zaima also found it the best time to fix the spoiled brat characteristic of her son. Iyaad gave her half annoyed look before rubbing his eyes in exhausted manner.

Like your husband himself starts Cuck-oro-ckoo in the morning.
He internally hissed, unable to voice it out.

"So what? I have my first class from nine thirty that's why I was sleeping." He presented a brief excuse, unwanting to engage in a long conversation.

Zaima examined his tired self for a while before extending the glass to him. Though it was usual for Iyaad to take a prolonged sleep once every week, yet there was something on his visage that hinted Zaima he was extra sleepy today.

"Catch some sleep if you're tired. You can get your notes from Hariz." She suggested rather politely but he shook his head in denial.

"Yeah, no need. I'm all set now—"

As soon as his eyes captured his favorite shake infront of them, the remants of slumber also escaped, replacing them with a glimmering look. Without any resistance, his hand welcomed the glass in its captivity before he started gulping the shake down his throat and showing her an honest thumbs up.

"Hurry up. Get ready and come downstairs. Your breakfast is ready." Zaima instructed as she ruffled his undone hair affectionately with her fingers and just as her figure whirled around to exit the room, a bulb lit up out of the blue in his head.

"Mummy?" The emergency in his voice halted Zaima in her steps by the door and forced her to twirl back towards him.

"Hmm, Speak."

"I was thinking..." Iyaad's hand travelled to his hair and he itched his head; accumulating the words inside it.

"Can I just have some food to take to university today?"

His tone sounded like a request, the one request he would make so rarely but always valued by his mother. Zaima felt suspicious.

"Means you want homemade lunch today?" She acquired confirmation by emphasizing on 'Homemade' whilst folding her arms again. Iyaad smiled but shook his head.

"Not homemade, momi-made. I've actually heard that 'Lunch from one's mother works better on the first day of a new semester' so... just thought to try it up." He presented a tiny philisophy to shadow the actual reason, watching Zaima's eyebrows raising in appraisal.

"Wow, kudos to that philosopher who finally knocked your empty head... Anyways, I'll check what's in the freezer so I can prepare for you." With the last motherly smile, she exited the room in the same graceful aura she entered with.

So Iyaad, you're not that bad of a liar...

A very light smile brightened his features upon the realization before he jerked his head and took another sip. Once the glass was all empty, he placed it back on the side table and after giving his arms some stretch, he got up and trudged to the bathroom to get freshened up.

********

The vacations were declared over and the university had opened up its doors for the students to welcome a new semester. Freshers and seniors were found at almost every spot, discussing their courses, residence, friends etc. However, the most significant topic circulating around the students was the murder of Huda Abdul Aziz. Belonging to the same university, they couldn't hold back their opinions upon the matter...

"I can't believe a guy like Cade can actually kill a girl for not dancing with him at the concert..."

"Well, who knows that Huda was the first to start the attack. She was a Muslim after all..."

"No, I don't think it has anything to do with the Muslims. Anyone can be at fault..."

"Whatever the case is, it's really bad for our university's reputation..."

Such discussions were audible at various spots, even the main bulletin board in the main hall of the admission office was all packed with various papers and cards of every size, expressing students' views on Huda's case and the point to notice was that majority of them were positive.

"It's hard to believe the students think Huda was innocent." Alicia's tone depicted her disappointment as she looked at the board with sulked up expressions.

She was surely expecting others to have the same opinion as hers but of course, not everyone views a new moon from the same lens. It was the first day of their new academic year and the venue was filled with students marching back and forth for their documentations.

"There's nothing hard to believe. Every sane person will believe she is innocent. It comes on the face you know." Iyaad complimented on her statement and before she could reply, Hafiz spoke from another side of hers.

"And that son of a monter's face is too like a monster. That explains it." Hariz also joined at expressing his favor for Huda as his eyes once again wandered through the papers, contained some comments like...

'Huda Abdul Aziz is innocent!'

'Cade should be punished.'

'We expect justice for Huda and Ayzel.'

Alicia's eyebrows raised incredulously at them.

"Oh really? If she was this innocent then what was that knife doing in her hand? Have you heard what the news says? She was the one to attack them first. Cade only took revenge." It felt as if her tongue was void of any flavor but acid today.

Cade and Alicia had recently entered into a relationship, after the manifold attempts of her magnetic glamour to attract him, and it was natural of her to get a bee in her bonnet at his imprisonment.

"Commentary, according to the news, those girls left the hostel at night and went to downtown by metro. Just think Alicia, how would they know that innocent Cade and his friends would be there too? And by the way, he wasn't in his Audi that night... Your Cade must've done something that forced her to use the knife. No?"

Iyaad's dart of logic had hit hundred and ten percent on point, and it was sufficient to actually quieten Alicia for a while who seemed to ponder at his statement but as usual, her egoism overruled her intellectual side.

"As in, tracked her or maybe harassed her... right Alicia?

Hariz had just set the pin some more, causing Iyaad to pull up the collars of his shirt in pride and fueling Alicia's irksome equally who rolled her eyes, too exasperated by the blunt remarks from either side of her.

"I don't care! All I know is that he's innocent and soon you guys will see he will be out." She spoke with such credence as if she had watched some channel named 'Future'.

"Just wait for the case hearing in two days. You'll see him going out of the world in real." Iyaad flicked his finger upwards to indicate Cade's departure from the world and they moved to occupy the empty waiting chairs but Alicia's berating plane sped up some more as she walked beside.

"Huh, in your dreams. Do you really think that black cloaked Muslim can win against Cade? There are hundreds of such terrorism cases happening since decades. I can bet she'll be seen as nothing but just another terrorist..."

Alicia emphasized on the word 'Terrorist' and a snidey smile finally played on her features, feeling some satiation by her own words.

"No no no, that'll be unfair." Hariz suddenly felt all sympathetic inside as he took the middle seat of three.

"Now I've got no solution for your baseless negativity. Come-on yaar, be cool! Play with makeup, dress up, and chill. Leave that Cade, your health's only worsening overtime."

Iyaad spoke in a rather peaceable style this time to end the battle of opinions and keeping his backpack on Hariz's lap, sat beside him while Alicia was too uprooted to settle anywhere.

He never really cared where had she collected all the hateful views in her mind from but as a friend, it was his concern to atleast set it right. However, all his attempts customarily fell into ocean when she folded her arms, all prepared to incept another war.

"Be cool? You mean to say I should close my eyes and sit like you guys and wait for Cade to go behind bars?" Her tone intensed in the end. Iyaad nodded as he looked up to her bowed down head.

"Yeah, if that's what he deserve."

"Just shut up okay? You go and support those shifty girls all you want... but I've said this before Iyaad and I'm repeating, these Muslims are nothing but terrorists! I'll see what can they do against him..."

Hariz tried to say something but before that, she set the glossy brown bag over her shoulder and tramped away and out of the bustling admission office. She would definitely prefer to get her documentations done at some other time.

None out of Iyaad and Hariz tried to refrain her cause of course, they wouldn't want to catch some ear disease by her yellings.

"I don't get it skeleto, what she just sees in that golden haired guy? Even our professors look better than him if it's all about looks." Iyaad was really unable to detect out any reason. Hariz glanced in the direction Alicia went, before shrugging his shoulders.

"I think it's a 'Like dissolves Like' case... Whatever, hold this mighty stinky bag of yours and go to the counter. I'm on to take a nap here."

Hariz tossed Iyaad's bag back to him and leaned back into the chair to actually take a rest but when Iyaad slapped his head, he had to get up and the duo made their way to the counter to join in the documentations.

In just few minutes, everything had returned to normal. The classes were filled within minutes and the students were all enthralled in their activities. Their was obviously less time for everyone to care for an ordinary girl like Huda Abdul Aziz. With the passage of hours, the topic faded away like smoke, but the one question that was left unanswered in the air was that...

Even after being a Victim, can Huda really be labelled as a Terrorist?

********

"Bhai (brother), is it really important to go?"

Ayzel's eyes were glistening with unfalling tears as she gazed up at her brother who was seated on the chair placed beside the hospital bed. Jasaar thought for a second before giving an affirming nod.

"It's necessary Ayzel. Mama has already taken Ezra to the hospital but.. there are some medical problems with her. I have to be there urgently." He elaborated, feeling stuck in a maze of problems.

It was the last month of Ezra's expectant state when Jasaar had arrived to Houston to check on Ayzel. Although they wanted to visit Ayzel as well but Ezra's health just cancelled their license. Just today, Jasaar had received the news of her worsening condition back in New York that required her mother-in-law to escort her to the hospital, and being a husband, it was his natural responsibility to be present there as well.

"Then why're you not taking me with you? I also wanna go home." Jasaar's heart contracted at the sight of his sister who was resembling no more than a two year old.

With a smile, he gently took her left hand in a warm hold.

"Come on. How can I not take my Angry cat, hmm? Of course, I will. But right now you'll have to stay here for a few days." He carefully emitted the words out in a hope she would understand, but Ayzel's tension only increased as her hold on his hand tightened.

"But why? I don't want to stay here." Her eyes had started turning marginally red, depicting her rising frustration.

"I know but it's for the case. Just as it will finish, I'll come here myself and take you." Jasaar added all the ingredients of assurity in his tone but it still failed in budging her mistrust.

Ayzel couldn't decipher what to do. Why does the fate had to bestow all the afflictions on her simultaneously?

"But where will I stay till then? I can't stay in this hospital for much longer." A spark of hope was found somewhere in her teary irises on thinking this might be a better excuse for getting out of here... but Jasaar already had something in his head.

"That's no problem. I already spoke to your classmate. He said you can stay at his house till the case ends." He spoke in a contented manner and Ayzel's orbs forgot to blink for a second as the word 'He' entered her ears.

"Which classmate?" The question was shot with the speed of an arrow, her eyes blinking rapidly this time due to desperation.

"That boy Iyaad. You know him right?"

Jasaar's head tilted slightly sideways as he tried to discern the answer from her expressions. For a moment, Ayzel was left stunned at the idea and her grip reflexively loosened on her brother's hand.

"Iyaad?... He came here?" The words automatically slipped from her mouth and she herself wasn't sure what was she seeking to know.

Jasaar nodded in a composed manner before leaning back and resting his back on the chair's backrest and staring into the space thoughtfully as if catching some data from his memory.

"Well, according to the doctor, he comes here everyday to check about you but, it's the hospital's policy that doesn't allow him... I've met him myself. He sent this parcel for you today."

Jasaar pointed towards the table besides her bed where a disposable, packed lunch box was kept, spraying the delish aroma of Shami Kababs it held.

"Said it's by his mother for you like Desi food... What do you know about him besides?" Jasaar's attention reverted back to her phiz which disturbed Ayzel's oblivion and with a 'Huh?', she shut her gaped open mouth.

"Nothing... I mean, I only know that he used to help me in studies... and that he's a rich brat." Ayzel completed her sentence like that was all she knew about him and blinked away.

"Bas (That's it)?"

Jasaar reflexively spoke. It was obviously strange to think that a boy was paying such heed to a girl's accident who doesn't even know him properly. Ayzel's fury finally went off the track.

"Yes, bas! That's why, I'll not stay at his house." Her tone depicted her adamancy.

No matter how much she was aware of him or not, Iyaad was still a stranger and she wasn't someone to take such hefty risks.

"Look Ayzel, it's for your safety. You're the only witness against those boys and the police will need you in the hearings. Try to understand..." Jasaar played his last card at insisting her.

"I don't care! I don't want to go in any hearing... Please Bhai, do something. Don't leave me alone here. I-I don't want to stay in Houston, Please..." Ayzel's expressions broke down with her syllables and the tears she had been holding back were now visibly caressing her cheeks and dripping down, horrifying Jasaar.

He knew pressuring Ayzel continously for hours will be of no avail except tossing the plan into the dustbin, so he immediately decided to throw the weapons down.

"Okay okay, Stop crying atleast... I'll take you with me... Happy now?" He postered a genial smile, whilst compelling her to follow him.

Ayzel passed him a complaining look before nodding in agreement and wiping her phiz with the back of her hand. A tiny part inside her even blew a confetti in joy of returning home.

"Come-on now, no more crying. You know Ezra's gonna laugh at your face. I want these kababs finished in an hour, or forget about New York..." He pampered her like she was his actual daughter. Ayzel nodded in response, all elated to leave.

"I'm gonna go arrange the tickets."

Clicking his index finger at her nose, he left his seat and soon disappeared out of the room, once again allowing the silence to shadow her mind.

Ayzel kept fuddling with her fingers for a minute before her gaze whirled at her left side where the lunch box almost winked at her in all its charm.

"He sent this parcel for you today. Said it's by his mother for you like Desi food..."

Like a magnet, her hand automatically glided towards the table and gripping the box in its warm hold, brought it near her. She had refused to stay at Iyaad's house, considering him a stranger... but the one question that arose inside her right now was that...

Was she a stranger for him too?

She didn't know why she felt a despised and grudgeful feel inside her heart for it. Maybe because it was a similar parcel he gave, for which she had lost her friend just few days earlier.

As the lid unrevealed the food, her honey irises detected a small piece of paper tucked beside the aluminum wrapped kababs. Pulling it out, she unfolded the paper and soon her glassy eyes envisioned the inscribed sentence, a highly gradual and temporal smile adorned her features...

Life might be uninteresting sometimes, but moments are all precious. Always try to laugh and smile, for they make up the moments of bliss.

********

The taxi was smoothly skimming towards one of the affluent neighborhoods of Houston, following the Camaro of Iyaad moving in front. The weather was subtle but the atmosphere was comparatively cooler than the preceding days.

After a couple of turns, the taxi's speed died down as it reached the villa where the metallic teal Camaro was pointing at through its curved tyres. Jasaar who was seated on the passenger seat, exited the taxi and reached the rear door to alight down his sister, who was obliviously sleeping with her head resting against the head rest of the seat.

His heart felt a little crack but neglecting it, he gently stroked Ayzel's head above the bandage to wake her up.

"Ayzel come-on, we've arrived."

It only took a second for her eyes to blink open at the voice and on straightening herself, her eyes landed on the windscreen to see the Camaro entering halfway through the wide sliding doors and halting as if someone was instructing the guard to leave the door opened. The sight was enough to make her realize where she was. Without any word, she quietly held her brother's arm and stepped out of the car.

The streets were all vacant but calm. They crossed the footpath before reaching the double gates of the bungalow and the first thing that met her gaze was the name plate clipped on the wall that read 'Tariq Haider'.

Her heart felt heavy due to uninvited nervousness. Could it be easy for a nineteen year old girl to stay at someone else's house?... that too as a refugee?

Before her legs could take another step, the tall figure of Iyaad strode towards them with his one hand dragging a closed wheelchair  along.

"Here, you can use this for now. I don't think she's comfortable at walking." His tone sounded sincere as he offered it to Jasaar who accepted it with a 'Thanks'. Once Ayzel was settled on it, he skimmed it inside the boundary.

Ayzel's eyes involuntarily scanned the exterior of the contemporary villa. The elevation had a remarkable contrast of dark and light shades with tall glazed windows and brilliant lighting effect. It wasn't extraordinarily huge but including the outdoor area, she could guess it was no less than six hundred square metres.

While she was lost in admiring the beauty of the building, a brief conversation brewed behind her when Jasaar started asking him about the arrangements and facilities required for Ayzel's care, which Iyaad assured him to the full. He was used to completing his homework before time.

However, the one thing that didn't go unnoticed by his sight was that Ayzel had a complaining and grudgeful attitude towards her brother and that made him wonder if Jasaar was forcefully dumping her at his house, which was proven true when Jasaar stopped infront of the main entrance and stepped back from the wheelchair.

"Where are you going? There are still ten steps to the house." Iyaad asked watching Ayzel's twisted head staring at her brother.

"Um, no. I gotta go actually. The bus will leave the stop in an hour." Jasaar explained whilst giving an apologetic look to Ayzel who turned her head back in a lame complaining gesture.

"Okay Angry cat? See you in a week. I'll try to bring Mama and Ezra also next time, hmm?" He said whilst patting Ayzel's head as if bribing her to become happy a bit, which she absolutely smashed under her foot.

"Allah Hafiz!" She whisperly spat, staring at her hands which were fuddling with the dangling straps of the sleeves of her suit.

"Allah Hafiz!" Jasaar replied before twirling on his heels and his shoes clicked towards the exit.

"Come soon Ok? Your sister will miss you... hopefully." Iyaad's voice reverberated in the air which caused both Jasaar and Ayzel to twirl around and look at him from two sides of his head.

He didn't know why but he didn't appreciate Jasaar leaving on a bad note with Ayzel. With a slight smile, Jasaar nodded and continued in his pace.

Iyaad was not charging any payment unlike any hotel or inn, who would charge an entire month's salary of Jasaar for her stay and this was the first reason he had opted to keep her at his house. Everyone has their own problems and solutions after all.

Just as Jasaar's shadow faded out of the boundary, Iyaad whirled towards the wheelchair Ayzel was seated on. Her head  was bent a bit down and that's when he properly noticed her injuries.

She was cladded in dark grey frock accompanied by a matching trouser with her hair loosely tied into a low ponytail. Various and varied multisized bandages had embellished her arms, the side of the neck and head. The sorrowful sight of her was enough to make anyone feel pity for her.

"Hi!"

He said in a mild and calculative style. After hearing about her mood outbursts from the doctor, it was crucial for him to be careful of her incoming reaction. Ayzel was silently scratching the lines on her fingers, unwilling to reply.

"l didn't know you're an Angry Cat at your home too. I thought it's just for here—" He continued after a second and that's when Ayzel's nails ceased before her gaze lifted up towards him; silencing him with it.

There was a blend of emotions in those glassy honey eyes that for a moment, Iyaad really failed at words. Anger, grieve, pain, complain... neither of them could trace out the ratio of each and with the same eerie silence, he watched her head bowing down to its former position.

Iyaad's eyes blinked here and there before he shrugged in a 'Whatever'.

"Alright Iyaad, it's your time to give a ride... to an Angry Cat, must be careful, huh?" Muttering at his own self while keeping it audible enough for her, he reached behind her wheelchair and clasping the handles, started driving it inside the house.

"That Jasaar must've come inside atleast. It's not like there are gangsters lurking for him here... right Ayzi?" He couldn't decipher if he was conversating with himself or Ayzel... or merely the air, considering the lack of response.

When the assurity met him that she wouldn't speak no matter what, he at last gave up and mutely slided the wheelchair through the entrance.

On the other hand, Zaima was serenely perched on the steezy sofa whilst watching her favorite show in the front lounge. She was enjoying her cup of fresh green tea when, the sound of the clickings of door detracted her attention. Her head tilted towards the entrance and in a minute, she could see the walking figure of her son, appearing in view.

"Is this a dream that tonight you're back so soon Iyaa—"

Her words died and the alarms in her brain started ringing on spotting the wheelchair infront of him. With creased temple, she switched off the T.V, placed the cup on the coffee table and stood up with deadly curiousness.

"Who is she? And what happened to her?" She asked, whilst examining Ayzel's patient like state from head to toe.

Ayzel's irises blinked at her before cornering upwards at Iyaad, who too blinked down at her as if really thinking what to introduce her as.

"Mummy, this is Ayzel. My classmate." At his words, Zaima's brow elevated with a sense of familiarity with the name but before she could speak, Iyaad called the maid in the adjacent room before she would leave and soon, she was a part of the picture too.

"Miss Kathy, can you take her to the guest room? She'll stay here for a few days." He said, gesturing towards Ayzel with his eyes.

"Oh, means we've a guest here. I'll arrange the top one—"

"No no. Just do the ground one. My friend can't climb the stairs." He deliberately chose the word 'Friend' as a silent introduction for Ayzel and Zaima's brow arched some more.

As soon as the maid slid the wheelchair away, Iyaad at last turned to his mother who was resembling a police officer with her arms folded across her chest. For a minute, the mother son duo kept staring at each other before Iyaad's lips twitched into a sheepish smile at her expression which spoke something like...

Now dare to step away without answering me the truth...

********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

516K 20.5K 31
A collection of short stories which are cliches, euphoric, dark, crazy and what not. Make yourself comfortable and share this gamut of emotions with...
256K 26.4K 36
➳ Wattpad Picks ~ ❝Angels don't lie, but you do. If I'm a devil, what are you?❞ When Burq loses his memory in an accident and doesn't remember his ow...
4.1K 256 18
A spinoff of Her Replaced Husband #Ideally to be read after HRH 🔴Not a Standalone Mastoorah The nice, upright, and assertive girl who always finds...
24.9K 3.4K 26
This story is the story of the fate of a girl where she has seen pain since childhood and while seeing and feeling that pain, she learns to live with...