๐“ข๐“ฎ๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ

By jackssfox

What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place alm... More

Playlist
๐’ž๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’ถ๐’ธ๐“‰๐‘’๐“‡๐“ˆ
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 4

30.2K 671 4K
By jackssfox

KAI KISHIMOTO

"You look like you were stood up or left alone at the altar of your own wedding," Zade mocked from my bed as I tried to fix my tie knot, how do I do this thing?

I simply looked at his reflection in the mirror with a blank stare, "do you want me to hurt you?"

"Say that again when your eyes are not half closed and maybe then I'll feel close to threatened," he replied, taking a plate of cake off of the nightstand before taking a bite.

"Hey," I started, still looking at the mirror, "don't eat on my bed."

"Kind of too late."

"Get out of my room before I kick you out of my house," I crossed my arms turning and leaning my back to the dresser.

"Alright, alright," he finished his cake and stood up, "but I'm telling you for your sake, you know, since you're meeting all the supremes, please let Aunt Naz fix that tie for you. You look like you just came out of a fist fight.

He closed the door behind him, and I ran my hand down my face. I just woke up, like, two hours ago since it wasn't a school day, but I still wanted to bury myself in bed. Instead, I'm dressed up in a goddamn suit, with a bunch of government cars waiting for us in front of the house, and I'm going to have to deal with a lot of faces and conversations today. Zade and Jett wanted to spend the day with us before we left, so Uncle Adam dropped them off at our house. I sprayed some perfume and fixed my hair one last time when Zade opened the door again.

"Your dad is calling you," he popped his head inside, "and if I'm to fetch you like a dog, I'd like a cookie and a raise."

"Speaking of cookies," I turned and opened the door fully before patting him on the back, "we're out of them, can you run by the store and get some? Pascal loves eating them. Thank you."

"Wha— hey!" He called after me as I ran down the stairs, "Kai! I swear to god—"

"Finally," Dad said. He was dressed in all black trousers and t-shirt, ready to head out for work since nobody is here today, "your mum will kill you if you're not out now."

"Sorry," I said and looked over at Jett sitting on the floor watching ratatouille, "not that you care, but I'm telling you goodby—"

"Shhh," she raised her hand shushing me, "leave, shut the door behind you, you're interrupting my favorite part."

I eyed the screen seeing the scene where Janeane is threatening Lou with a knife in the kitchen, "you're psychotic, Jett."

"Good to know."

"And that cartoon is unrealistic."

At that, she finally turned her head to me with a glare, "your favorite cartoon is Zootopia."

"So what? Zootopia is fantastic," I counted on my fingers as I went on, "it has a meaningful plot, amazing songs, and Nick Wilde is, like, my idol."

"Excuse you?" Dad's voice turned my gaze to him, "your idol is a fox? I thought I was your idol. Your own father."

I opened my mouth but my phone rang and I swallowd back a curse, "mum's calling again. Sorry, dad. You're the best, but I don't want to die today, I'm still young."

I ran to the door, putting on my shoes with dad's threats to take away all my movies since I somehow forgot my roots. Sometimes I question his sanity.

"What took you so long?" Mum hissed as I opened the door of the car and got in, "and why are your clothes a mess?"

"I couldn't do it right," I winced as she almost chocked me by tying it. I looked through the back window of our car , checking the car behind us. I couldn't see them, but I knew Jello, Uncle Warner, and Emmaline were already in it and looked at my mum with an apologetic look.

"Okay, we're ready," once the words came out of my mum's mouth, the car started moving, followed by the probably 6 other cars plus Emmaline's one.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

It took us about 30 minutes to finally pull up in front of a huge mansion, with a lot of cars waiting outside. I got out of the car, helping my mum out before shutting the door behind her. A car came to a stop, and Uncle Warner got out, holding his hand for Jello as she followed. Emmaline's door opened, and she stepped outside closing the door before looking around her.

What was I witnessing right now? I don't remember the last time I saw Emmaline in a party dress. She wore a long emerald dress that had a halter neckline and a high slit on her left leg that fell past her feet even with her white high heels. The dress had some shimmery material that reflected the sunlight, causing it to sparkle as she moved. Uncle Warner said something and she turned, causing me to see how low the back of the dress was before her wavy hair covered half of her back.

"Kai," my mum nudged me, snapping me out of the haze, giving me a confused look about why I was still rooted in the same place, and I cleared my throat walking with her towards them, "Emma, you look gorgeous!"

Emmaline turned at the sound of my mum before flashing a smile, her dimples showing and hugged her.

"Why are you matching your dress with my tie?" I jokingly asked when mum broke the hug and went to talk to Jello. Even with the extra hight of the heels, she was still not eye level, her forehead just barely reaching my chin. I gotta give it to her though, normally she's bellow my shoulders. Her eyes met mine when I opened my mouth to speak, and I didn't know how one can be silenced by someone's gaze, but the bronze makeup around her green eyes made them look even more sharp, like they were piercing through my soul somehow.

I watched her give me a once over before rolling her eyes and looking away, "get over yourself. How would I even know you were going to wear that tie color?"

"You clean up nice, sunshine," what the hell was I even saying? I always knew Emmaline was beautiful. That every inch of her face was perfect, but I never, not even in the past dinner parties, felt compelled to just stare like an idiot.

"You don't look bad yourself," she replied with a soft tone, already getting into the character we're supposed to be today, "will definitely turn some heads."

"Oh, no," I shook my head with a scoff, finally snapping out of whatever spell I was under, "I don't want to turn any heads today. If I could, I would have traded powers with my dad."

She chuckled and looked at the huge gate that led to the mansion as we walked behind our parents. I held out an arm for her to link hers through, "ready?"

She took a deep breath, looking between my raised arm and my face before slipping her hands around my elbow, "nope."

"Me neither," I sighed. Mum already had her strict face up, chin held high as her long straight hair swayed with every move she took. Jello linked her arm through Uncle Warner's as they told us it's time to get in, "no cracking jokes."

"No laughing too loudly."

"No ending conversations too early."

"Always starting conversations with anyone who looked our way."

"Yeah, this is going to suck," I said after we listed a bunch more of things we're allowed and not allowed to do in a place like this until we reached the gate, "here we go."

Emmaline swallowed and held her head up, and I straightened my back more as we walked in behind Mum, Jello, who is supposed to be referred to as only Juliette Ferrars here, and Uncle Warner. Once we stepped inside we were greeted by a dozen of guards before we finally made it to the main room where a lot of supremes were already there, Lena being one of them so that meant Ivan was somewhere here, but I couldn't see him though.

"Mrs. Ferrars, Mr. Warner" Castillo, the supreme of South America, stood up shaking her hand before doing the same with Uncle Warner and Mum, "Mrs. Kishimoto, glad you could make it."

Mum said that she decided to take Dad's name after they got married because she didn't like the idea of carrying the name of someone who stood against everything she believed in anymore. Jello went by Juliette Ferrars Warner, but everyone continued to call her Juliette Ferrars, and it kind of made sense to me since that name was literally a legacy. I think only Mum and Uncle Warner called her Ella.

"Of course," Jello said, "it's nice to see you again."

We greeted everyone here and were about to take a seat when Castillo spoke, "oh, Kai, Emmaline, the rest are in the other room next to this one. They have been waiting to meat with you."

The rest, that's why I couldn't see any of the supreme children here. Emmaline smiled politely with a nod, "we'd love to see them too. Excuse us."

I nodded goodbye as she led me to the other room, "this is already getting boring."

"Shut up," she hushed me and walked through the door, meeting us face to face with Atlas Castillo, Nia Omondi, and Ivan Mishkin.

Nia sat between Atlas and Ivan, cross legged with her long black hair pinned up in a ponytail, not a hair out of place. Her hazel dress and gold jewelry all over wrists and neck made her dark skin seem like it was basically shining. Atlas was in a midnight blue suit that made his blue eyes stand out like ice, his brown hair falling on his forehead unlike Ivan's dark blond hair being slicked back.

"Emma!" Nia jumped out of her seat pulling Emmaline into a hug, "it's been so long."

"I know, I missed you!" Emmaline squeezed her before letting go. Nia extended her hand for me to shake and I took it giving her a small smile and looked to my right at Atlas walking up to us.

"Kai, Emmaline," he smiled, shaking my hand before doing the same with Emmaline, "how have you guys been?"

"Great, and you?" She replied for both of us and smiled. While I tolerated this day every year for my mum's sake, Emmaline played the role perfectly. She smiled, started conversations, and made sure to never look bored.

Just as Atlas finished his reply to Emmaline, Ivan approached, not even glancing at me as he took Emmaline's hand, "Emma, you look absolutely gorgeous, zakhvatyvayushchiy."

Emmaline shot him a confused look and I lowered my eyebrows, neither of us knew other languages than English and Arabic. Ivan laughed, his hand still freaking holding hers as he leaned in next to her ear, whispering something that made her expression shift from a frown to shyness, looking down and letting out a soft laugh, "thank you."

What the actual hell? I took  a sharp breath, fisting my hands at my sides to calm myself down. Ivan having small talks with Emmaline at the academy was one thing, but this? Whatever the hell he is trying to do? Over my dead body. Just the sight of them right now made my blood boil. And why was he still touching her damn hand?

Emmaline was so oblivious about what Ivan says to her cousin or acts like when he's talking to anyone that isn't on "his level". I didn't want to tell her because I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable at the only place she loved to be in around people. But the hell with her comfort zone if it went down to this. Just because I didn't like Emmaline doesn't mean she can be with Ivan Mishkin out of all people. He doesn't like her, he likes who she is.

"Guys," Nia started, showcasing her phone, "Dad's calling, I think it's time for dinner."

"Oh, then let's not keep them waiting," Emmaline stepped away from Ivan, walking next to Nia as they slipped to the door, Atlas going after them.

"What are you doing?" I asked just when Ivan was about to follow.

"Whatever do you mean?" He turned to me with an innocent expression that did not even fit his features.

"You know what I mean," I took a step closer, putting my hands in my pockets to restrain myself from slamming him into the fucking wall, "so I'll ask again, what are you doing?"

"I have no clue what you're talking about, I'm just trying to enjoy my time while I can," Ivan smiled with a shrug, "now if you'll excuse me, I'm famished."

He left without waiting for a reply and I gritted my teeth following him to the dining room. Calling this a table felt like an insult to the huge dining table that sat in front of me. It was filled with food that was abundant and varied, with everything from roast meats to fruits and vegetables to fancy desserts, leaving not even an inch of the table empty. I scanned the chairs for Emmaline and found her sitting next to Nia on her right with an empty chair to her left. I was about to go when Ivan pulled the chair and sat down with a shit-eating grin on his face.

I swear to god if Uncle warner didn't stab him with his knife right now, I will gladly get the job done. I scanned for any chairs closer to them and found one chair right across from Emmaline, and right next to Uncle Warner. I sighed and headed to sit there, nodding at people as I went. The moment I took a seat, servants surrounded me, filling up plates from every kind of food that will probably not fit my entire body.

At the first we were all silent, only the sound of the forks and knifes against the plates until Lena spoke, "Emmaline, honey, you look even prettier than the last time I saw you."

Emmaline's chewing mouth froze as she looked up at her, then snapped her mum a look then back at Lena, finishing her bite before nodding, "thank you."

"When Ivan told me about how you look so good even in your training clothes, I didn't believe him, but looking at you now? I really think you're the only girl in there who could pull it off," Lena smiled, but the look in her eyes seemed anything but surreal.

Next to me I could see Unlce Warner's hand going to Jello's as her knuckles turned white against the fork. She sighed, grabbing the glass in front of her, sipping calmly before putting it down with an audible thud.

"If you let this boy get within five feet from my daughter again, I will see to it myself your mother will be widowed."

I chocked on a piece of meat at Uncle Warner's words, going for a glass of water and covering what happened with a cough before apologizing. I swear to God this man will find any excuse to free this earth from my dad.

"I'm serious," Uncle Warner whispered, "Why do you think I was okay with you both walking in together when we arrived? I don't want my daughter to be associated with any of those bastards."

"Yup," I nodded, I tried to think of something better, more responsible to say but all that came out was, "got it."

He squinted his eyes at me, and I cleared my throat, begging my brain to do it's job, "I will. I don't even like or trust Ivan. Not with anyone and especially not with her."

"I know, I can sense it more than my own feelings, I had to shut off my powers to calm my head. However, after you succeed in making him stay away from her, because you will succeed," he threatened, "don't get any ideas yourself, I still stand by my obvious hatred towards the Kishimoto male species."

I nodded, not finding any words to reply with. I can't get over how my tongue just freezes whenever this man even looks my way. It freaks me out. I kept my eyes on Emmaline and Ivan the whole dinner, most of the time she's just focused on her food until he mutters something, and she replies before going back to eating.

After dinner, I went to the bathroom and got out waiting for Emmaline to get out of the bathroom she was in too and prayed she'll come out alone. Once I caught a glimpse of emerald green, I grabbed her wrist pulling her into a corner where nobody could interrupt us, caging her in by my hand blocking her right side as the wall blocked the other.

"What did he say to you?" I asked in a calm voice even when her eyes were widened, still processing what's happening.

"What?" Her voice came out breathless and I felt a little guilty about taking her by surprise, but she wouldn't tell me unless she knew she had no choice if she wanted me to leave her alone.

"What did Ivan tell you? When we first came. What did he whisper in your ear?" I didn't care whatever it is that made her smile like that, I only cared that it doesn't happen again. Ivan didn't freaking deserve a minute of her time, let alone her kindness towards him.

She opened her mouth and closed it, looking anywhere but me. I saw her swallow hard before her eyes finally met mine. The green that was piercing through my soul earlier now felt softer somehow as she blinked, and when I thought she would tell me, she just asked, "why do you care?"

Because Ivan is a jerk. Because Ivan disrespects your own family behind your back. Because Ivan just wants to use you. All these replies were on the tip of my tongue, but I swallowed them back. If I told her that he's being nice to her just to use her name, she'd get upset and hurt, and she would just distance herself from him without saying a word, which will make him show his true colors on her, and I won't allow that to happen.

"Your dad is threatening to end my family line if I didn't let these bastards, his words not mine, away from you," I decided to tell her the truth, not the one she wanted, but the truth nonetheless.

"Ahh," she said after a while of utter silence, slowly nodding her head once. She blinked and her eyes turned sharper again, crossing her arms, "then it's none of your business."

She tried to push me away, but I didn't budge, "Emmaline, tell me what he said."

"I don't think it's important or relevant for you to know what he said, even if my dad assigned you as a bodyguard for me, you'd do a great job with no need to find this out," she snapped and when she failed to push me away she ducked under my arm and I let her.

"That's not what this is," I walked after her, catching her by her forearm, "I'm not a bodyguard. You know that."

"I don't know that actually," she pulled her arm away, "and stop treating me like I can't deal with people myself, or that I need someone to keep an eye on me all the time."

"I wasn't—" she stormed out, her heals clicking against the marble floor as she murmured something under her breath that sounded like 'I knew today wouldn't end well'.

I ran a hand through my hair, huffing an angry breath. I didn't treat Emmaline like she needed to be protected all the time. I knew she was strong, just choosing to be kind. She was supposed to know that. She was supposed to know that I just care about her. I don't even know why I had the urge to run after her and convince her because normally I would just crack a joke that'll let her calm down or change the subject all together.

"Trouble in paradise?" A familiar, but irritating voice came from behind me, jerking my head to Ivan.

"What do you want?" I spat out, not having the energy to deal with him right now.

"Nothing, I was just passing by when I saw Emma storming out on you," he wasn't smiling but I could freaking hear the smile in his voice, "what did you do?"

"I don't see how this is any of your business."

I was about to leave when he talked again, "maybe you can tell your dad to convince her to forgive you, she seems to like him— oh, wait. I didn't catch a glimpse of your dad anywhere today, is he not here?"

I opened my mouth but he cut me off before I even started, "oh, right, I forgot. He's not technically a supreme right?"

One second I was next to the door the second I was grabbing him by the collar, pushing him against the wall, "say one thing about him again, and I will—"

"You will what?" He tilted his head as if he's not pinned to a wall with my hand almost choking him, "you can't do anything to me, not here at least. Think about how you would look in front of everyone here today. How your mother's reputation would look like."

I clinched my jaw so hard I could hear my teeth gritting against each other. I couldn't bear to hear someone talk about my family with even a disrespectful tone in their way because none of them deserved anything but pure respect. I don't care what anyone says, or judges how my dad did not exactly fit in here, hell I don't think I fit in here. Whatever many times my Dad joked around about being the best person I got to meet, he was freaking awesome. Kenji Kishimoto was one of the reasons this damn world was saved, and I would gladly fight anyone who claimed otherwise.

Ivan's words echoed in my head about how me acting foolish right now would harm my mother, and I hated to admit it, but he was right. I won't forgive myself if I was the cause of something upsetting her, "then take this as a warning, Ivan. Don't talk about my family. Or Emmaline's family, you hear me? And if you will do us all a favor and stay away from Emmaline, that'd be a blessing."

"I don't think the last part is yours to decide. I think she actually likes talking with me," he shrugged with a smirk that made me want to wipe it away with a bullet in his forehead, "you wanted to know what I told her so bad, right?"

How much did he listen? Was this creep eavesdropping on us? Ivan smirk shifted to a full grin as he leaned in a little, whispering, "I told her she was breathtaking. I mean come on, she's hot."

I clutched my fists to his collar more, pushing him against the wall, "you—"

"Kai?" Emmaline's voice softly calling my name as if she was looking for me. I quickly let go of Ivan, taking a step back away from him and turned fully to the door just as she came in, her eyes roaming the place before they fell on me, "Naz— your mother is looking for you."

She corrected herself when she gazed behind me seeing we weren't alone, this place was suffocating. Having to act as if we were some sort of royals who couldn't even address each other with their own name was ridiculous. Emmaline's brows lowered, a faint line appearing between them, "am I interrupting something?"

"No," Ivan and I said in union before Ivan pushed off of the wall, brushing against me as he walked up to her, "I was just about to grab a drink, would you like to join?"

She looked between him and me and smiled up at him not sparing me a second glance, "I'd love to."

I scoffed which made her glare at me before sharply turning walking out with Ivan behind her. If my blood was boiling before, it was fueling now. Emmaline didn't even drink, and the fact that she was this mad at me, that she'd rather watch someone talk and drink as she nodded her head instead being in the same room as me, made me want to murder Ivan. I wasn't the right one to be mad at, and I sure as hell was going to make her see that.

I walked through the door, looking for where they could have went between all these people, this place was crowded and massive. What do they even use all these rooms for? I looked to my right when I saw a door, but there wasn't anyone. I was about to take a turn when I slammed into someone, sliding my arm around her back on instinct, pulling her flush against my chest while her hand flew to my necktie, gripping it to keep from falling while the other held on to my shoulder.

"I'm sorry— oh, it's you," Emmaline said, her voice filled with disappointment that made my chest feel like it was closing in.

"Are you okay?" Out of everything I wanted to say this was what came out.

Emmaline's fingers dug more into my shoulder and I felt her chest go up and down, like she was trying to catch her breath, and Ididn't know what the hell was happening because my palm against her back felt like it was burning against her skin. What's going on with you today, Kai? Focus.

"I... I'm fine," she sighed before shaking her head, "I'm great, I just came to tell you that Naz is in the ball room, so you wouldn't get lost. Now if you could let me go because I'm keeping Ivan waiting."

"Emmaline, please, listen—"

"Don't," she let go of my tie, pushing against my chest, and I loosened my grip on her, letting her step back, "I just want this day to be over, so help me with that and just go find your mum. We'll talk later, whatever."

She waved a hand at me as she turned and disappeared between the crowd, leaving me standing on my own with my hand still in the air like an idiot before I lowered it to my side. I swallowed the lump in my throat and let her go as she wanted, heading to the ball room.

The slow music was playing, some couples already dancing to it. I looked around for my mum until I spotted a tall figure with long brown hair that almost looked black even in the lights illuminating the place, "you wanted to see me?"

"Kai," she turned around, "where have you been?"

"Here," I shrugged, not really itching to tell her about what happened, "have you seen this place? I could lose you in this room alone."

"Well, Ella was looking for— ugh, fix that damn tie, son," she rolled her eyes and I looked down to see it was loosened, probably from Emmaline tugging on it in order not to fall. She grabbed the tie and just was about to fix it before her gaze snapped behind my shoulder, her expression turned worried and looked back at me. I followed where her eye-line was and saw Ivan walking Emmaline to the dance floor, his mouth that never seemed to shut up still moving. They stopped and faced each other as her hands went to his shoulders and his went to her waist.

My first instinct was to walk through this crowd, push him away from her, and take Emmaline and leave, but I didn't trust that Ivan's reaction to this wouldn't bring the worst in me. Plus, everyone would witness this, and I didn't feel like ruining the day for mum because of some jerk. So I went with the more smart logical solution, "I'm sorry, we'll talk after this."

"Kai," mum grabbed my arm firmly, shooting me a warning look, "Don't."

"Don't worry," I smiled, lightly pulling her hand off of me, "I won't do anything rash."

I turned before she could say anything more, walking up to the table where Nia and Atlas were sitting, extending my hand to Nia with a kind smile, "would you like to dance?"

Nia looked up before looking around her, like she was checking if I'm really talking to her, but hesitantly nodded anyway, "sure, why not?"

She rested her hand on mine as I walked her to the dance floor, coming next to Emmaline and Ivan. At some point of the dance, couples were supposed to switch partners and I reached out for Emmaline's right hand with mine, sliding my left behind her back and taking casual steps down the crowd, gazing up to see Nia was now with Ivan.

"Hey," I said over the music and saw her clinch her jaw, obviously still annoyed, "can we talk now?"

"What part of 'let's talk later' didn't you understand?" She frowned, her body still tense even when she swayed to the music with me.

"Isn't now later?" I cocked an eyebrow, taking a step back with her following my lead.

"Now is, like, 5 minutes later."

"So, it is later," I smiled, hoping she'd at least roll her eyes at me, but she just looked away, "are you seriously going to be like this all day?"

"No. Right now I'm being kind and considerate for your reputation's sake, but I don't plan on keeping this up for long."

I stepped back and span her around before pulling her flush against me with my hand on her back while she wrapped hers around my neck with a gasp, "cut it out."

"Cut what out?" She breathed, her eyes roaming all over my face.

"Being mad at me," I lowered my head, talking next to her ear so she could hear me better and felt her hands tense on my shoulders, "I don't like when we fight. Especially when I know you'll end up giving in because you can't stay away from me for, like, 10 minutes max."

I heard her scoff before feeling a light smack on my shoulder, leaning back with my face inches away from her due to the change of music to a slow dance, "so cut it out and talk to me, Emmaline."

She stared at me for what felt like eternity before blinking quickly and shaking her head with a long exhale, "why were you fighting with Ivan?"

"What?" I scowled at his name.

"I know I didn't see anything, but I'm not blind; I can tell you guys were arguing about something."

"It was nothing," I said, grabbing one of her hands on my shoulder, linking her fingers with mine as we moved together around the dance floor, "and I wanted to talk about you being mad at me not at hi—"

"Was it because of me?" She interrupted and explained farther when I gave her a confused look, "I mean, was it because you told him to stay away because of what my dad said, and he didn't want to?"

I opened my mouth but nothing came out because I didn't know what to tell her, I didn't want to tell her. If I told her I was fighting him because of her, which was technically not all true, there was a chance she'd get more upset with me, and I think I made it clear I couldn't stand that. If I told her it was because Ivan disrespected my dad, she'd feel guilty about spending time with him while I clearly didn't like him.

"Okay, but promise me, you won't freak out or feel bad about it because I'm the one who didn't want to tell you, so it's not your fault," I rushed out. I decided to go with the latter because if I had to choose between me being the bad guy or Ivan, the hell with Ivan and his foolish opinions.

"When you say it like that..." she frowned and the music stopped before another one played. I looked around us seeing everyone busy with the sudden change of melodies and grabbed Emmaline's hand walking behind everyone and quickly slipping through the door, opening another one and closing it behind us, "what— what's going on?"

"I wasn't arguing with Ivan because of you," I cut to the chase, "I wouldn't do that knowing it would harm your name in any way."

"Okay..." she nodded and crossed her arms waiting for me to continue.

"He... okay, it may seem stupid, or that I'm overreacting, but he said something about my dad that I didn't like," I sighed, looking down at my fingers cracking each other, something I found myself doing when I talk or think about something that upsets me, "and I just couldn't stand it. I'm sorry."

"Sorry— what? Wait, wait," I felt her take a step towards me, "what did he say?"

"Well, he didn't make it obvious, so I guess I may have been overthinking it or whatever, but I knew he meant that my dad wasn't here because he didn't deserve to be. That he wasn't supposed to be."

"He... Kai— stop," she wrapped her fingers around my hands, stilling my fingers in place, "hey, what do you mean isn't supposed to be here?"

"Enmaline," I finally looked up at her, her expression not wavering, waiting for me to continue, "I can see the way people call my mum with his name, as if they're thinking she was stupid for wiping out her family's name by taking his."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I didn't like admitting this with myself let alone talk about it with someone else, but I looked at Emmaline and the words just started flowing, "they know he's Juliette Ferrar's right hand, but they still act like he was no more than someone who was orphaned and in the streets by the time he was 9."

"Hey, no," her right hand rested on my shoulder, "Kenji is literally one of the most inspiring people I've ever met."

"Yeah, well, they don't know that."

"Who cares?" She huffed, squeezing my hand with her left one, "Kai, since when do you care what other people say? They're a bunch of idiots, they could go to hell for all I care about. Okay? Screw them."

"Wow," my eyebrows shot up as I curved my lips into a small smile, "your dad will possibly have a heart attack hearing you curse, Emmaline."

"Shut up," she chuckled, pushing my chest causing me to stumble back half a step in surprise, "I'm serious."

"So am I," I gave her my best serious expression, "you can't go around saying stuff like that, young lady. What will your father say? Wait— oh shit, he'll think I taught you that!"

"Taught— I'm not five!" She said in a high pitched voice.

"Oh my god, Emmaline," I slammed my palms together, "I'm begging you, don't say that in front of him. I'll be the first suspect along with one, the one being my dad. Please, I want to live, the Kishimotos need to continue their legacy—"

I was cut off by Emmaline's laugh of disbelief, the dimples appearing causing her face to light up even more with amusement, her eyes glowing. I couldn't help but join before our laughter sobered, and Emmaline shook her head before it was so silent with just both of us staring at each other.

"Well, that wa— oof," I let out at the sudden movement of Emmaline technology tackling both of us to the ground when her hands drifted up and curled around my neck as she hugged me while I quickly grabbed her waist steadying us before wrapping my arms around her back, whispering against her neck, "what's that for?"

"I'm sorry," her voice came out muffled from pressing herself to my shoulder, "I didn't know you felt that way, and I should have."

"No, you shouldn't have because I never told anyone."

"I didn't even know Ivan says those stuff to you, and I left you all day spending my entire time with him."

"It's fine. It only happened today," I lied, "I was surprised too. Plus, what did I tell you about not feeling guilty?"

"Yeah, but still I—"

"Emmaline," I warned but found my arms squeezing her tighter. I didn't even realize, but I needed her. I needed my best friend. It felt so great to let this out to her. I knew she'd understand, she always understands. Sometimes, I feel like she's the only person who would just sit there and listen to me talk for hours, even when usually it was the other way around, but I knew she'd do it for me too.

"Fine," she sighed, "but, please, talk to me. Don't just shut your thoughts out, I hate it when you do that."

"Okay," I smiled and closed my eyes before the sound of the door cracking snapped them open again, and Emmaline and me quickly let go as she whipped around.

Jello stood with her hand still on the doorknob, her mouth forming into an O shape, looking between both of us before taking a breath, "we're going now, so check if you have everything on you and meet us by the gate."

That was all she said before closing the door behind her, her shadow disappearing from underneath the door.

"Umm— well... you have everything?" Emmaline asked, her hand moving to her necklace, tugging on it.

"Yeah, you?"

"Yeah, wait— no, my purse, I'll just go get it," she said already moving towards the door, "go. I'll meet you guys by the gate."

I nodded and found my way to the front gate, telling Jello and Uncle Warner Emmaline is on her way before we got into the cars, waiting for her so we could move together. Not 2 minutes later, she rushed out, quickly moving down the stairs and walking towards us. I was about to look in front of me and rest my eyes when my door opened and Emmaline stepped inside, shutting it behind her.

"Okay, I'm sorr— oh," she jerked her head back, seeing me and mum looking at her, "wrong car. oops."

"It's fine, habibti," my mum smiled and told the driver to go.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sometime during the 30 minutes ride home, Emmaline fell asleep on my shoulder, which was starting to feel numb by now because she used it as her own personal pillow, and I didn't move it the entire time.

"Emma," my mum whispered, about to nudge her awake.

"It's okay," I whispered back, "she looks tired. I'll just help her out."

My mum slightly tilted her head, probably considering trusting me not to make her fall and twist her leg getting out of the car but nodded anyway.

I carefully rested Emmaline's head on the back of the couch before rounding the car and opening the door next to her. Trying to let her stand up on her own with no avail, and the heals looked painful anyway, I slipped an arm underneath her knees and the other around her back, carrying her bridal style out of the car, shutting the door with my back.

I turned around seeing Uncle Warner squinting his eyes at me with Jello on his side, holding onto his arm to keep herself steady, "what are you doing?"

"She fell asleep," I simply replied.

"Okay, well, let me carry her—"

"Let him help her inside," Jello cut him off.

"What?" Uncle Warner replied quietly, and I saw her hand grip his arm more, "are you okay, love?"

"I had so many drinks today, I can barely see in front of me so," she waved a hand towards me, "let him help her in."

He was quiet for a moment before exhaling an annoyed breath, "fine. But you get her in and leave within 1 minute span."

"Yup," I said moving behind them as they opened their front door. Walking upstairs, I somehow managed to open Emmaline's door while still carrying her and slowly lowered her on the bed. I tried to get her hair out of her face and after a confusing moment, I figured out how to take off her heals, pushing them underneath the dresser, so she won't trip on them in the morning.

I looked back at her face, seeing her lips slightly parted, as she wiggled, trying to find a comfortable spot in her pillow, a strand of her hair falling on her face as I tugged it behind her ear. I was about to stand up when she tirelessly murmured, "you're the one who couldn't stay away from me."

I lowered my eyebrows, confused before it clicked. 'I know you'll end up giving in because you can't stay away from me for, like, 10 minutes max.'

I chuckled, shaking my head. As if. "Goodnight, sunshine."

————————
A/N:

That chapter took me so long?? I don't even know if I wrote it well or not because I'm sick and in bed, so I'm extremely sorry a) for taking so long b) if the chapter was disappointing

Anyway I'll do better next chapter hopefully when I become better💃🏻

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99K 2K 16
. . เณƒโ€โžท ๐‰๐„๐“๐“ ๐Š๐„๐๐“ NOVELLA *เณƒเผ„ ๏ฝกยฐโš ๏ธŽยฐ๏ฝก ๐‘๐„๐€๐ƒ ๐€๐…๐“๐„๐‘ ๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐Ÿ...
15.5K 224 11
This is a fanfic from the ยซ Shatter Me ยป series written by Tahereh Mafi. All characters in this book belong to her except for y/n and maybe additiona...
126K 1.8K 14
aaron warner wished to the sky in the darkest hours of the night for andrea madden to allow him inside her tall facade.
135K 6.4K 58
It was never effortless to love Aaron Warner. He was a difficult teenage boy who seemed to forget a lot of the time that that was what he was-a teena...